IGNORED

Lawson Bates 3

Coconut Flan

One problem with growing up in an isolated, sub-culture, insular, religious sect is that even if you start to question some things you were taught or branch out a bit, you are susceptible to being drawn into a different insular community. A lot of these white, fundie men, especially those who haven't been able to land wives (a la incels) are one smartphone search away from the worst white nationalist hate communities. 

Lawson seems to have taken all the worst parts of his family beliefs: women's submission, exclusionary salvation ideas, desire for Christian theocracy and dominion. And now he is combining them with more and more of the alt-right type ego, disdain, racism, sexism, homophobia. Of course those tendencies already exist in the religion, but the way he is talking about things now is definitely influenced by right wing provocateurs. 

I could see Lawson becoming less religiously fundie. Unfortunately, I think what will fill that vacuum for him will be more of this garbage. 

• Upvote 10
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 2

On 5/11/2019 at 10:47 PM, Ivycoveredtower said:

Lawson looking like an idiot. 

Another fake-ass dog tag, as @Heretichick pointed out.  The hypocrisy burns.

• Upvote 3

@theotherelise

I agree 100%. Do you also get Libertarian vibes from him. 

@themotherdust

These folks are at war with liberalism. Naturally, they'd need dogtags to commemorate time served. ?

@Perrierwithlemon @AussieKrissy

Yes, Ethan is Carlin's soon to be brother-in-law. He has IG pics of just his weapons in them. Also, not sure why any one needs an assualt rifle in their personal collection. Guess it's for when the aliens show up at their home and there is not time to assemble the militia. These folks do not understand that any gov't take over will come to their smart phones long before it will enter their door.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

15 hours ago, theotherelise said:

ego, disdain, racism, sexism, homophobia

His family has always combined their extreme religion with these things, they just hide it now. These are the people who put up a shrine to a KKK leader in their house, and prayed for Trump to win. Lawson might be reTweeting things by right wing extremists, but these are things he has been taught his whole life. He isn't an odd one out in this family, the rest just aren't as open with their hate. The closest the rest get to showing us who they are are Trump socks, Instagram pictures praying for Trump to win and campaigning for a right wing extremist. 

2 hours ago, TatiFish9 said:

Do you also get Libertarian vibes from him.

So many fundies are into this! I've lost count of how many how shown up here to rant at us about it. They are all pretty terrible at defending their beliefs and tend to go off in a sulk. 

2 hours ago, TatiFish9 said:

These folks do not understand that any gov't take over will come to their smart phones long before it will enter their door.

We have had this discussion with some fundies who come here and they truly believe they will be able to hold off the US army with their guns. The guys with guns tend to live in a delusional world where they come out as heroes for taking down the ebil government. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 6

@theotherelise has said and I agree, it's easy for people with this mindset to transfer from one fear based ideology to the next. I can especially see this within groups who teach males it is their responsibility to be the heroes. I can see someone already feeling inferior going into hyper drive to prove masculinity.

I was watching United Bates of American. Was good to see the Bates before UP made them all nice and shiny. Michaela was saying she is left to run the house while the older boys are there for protection. She didn't need to learn to protect herself. That's what the mens are for. Fundies aren't the only one to think this way. But the way she said it so matter of fact stood out to me that the males have pressure to be uber masculine even if their personality shows otherwise. Well, now I guess the pressure is lightening up because they're getting the women involved at the gun ranges. All hands on deck for the apocalypse!

• Upvote 2

On 5/20/2019 at 8:00 PM, The Mother Dust said:

Another fake-ass dog tag, as @Heretichick pointed out.  The hypocrisy burns.

He probably wears to be like "'murica!" and put forth a tough, protective, freedom-fighting, pro-war image, but personally I really can't stand him wearing it for the following reasons:

1.  They were designed for function, not fashion. They are used to identify dead and wounded soldiers for medical/record purposes. 
  2.  He, or any friends/family, was/is not in the military. Thus , I don't really feel like he has an emotional reason to wear it (vs people who have their grandpa's and have an emotional attachment to it).
  3.  Real, actual soldiers wear them on the inside of their shirts because they display personal information and they're not a fashion accessory.

I know there's no real rules and they make other ones people can personalize with quotes or whatever, but it just seems kinda disrespectful to me. There's a certain privacy about them that make me wish that he didn't wear it like some medal. I honestly don't think he wears it for remembrance or in honor of anyone.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 6
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, Perrierwithlemon said:

He probably wears to be like "'murica!" and put forth a tough, protective, freedom-fighting, pro-war image, but personally I really can't stand him wearing it for the following reasons:

1.  They were designed for function, not fashion. They are used to identify dead and wounded soldiers for medical/record purposes. 
  2.  He, or any friends/family, was/is not in the military. Thus , I don't really feel like he has an emotional reason to wear it (vs people who have their grandpa's and have an emotional attachment to it).
  3.  Real, actual soldiers wear them on the inside of their shirts because they display personal information and they're not a fashion accessory.

I know there's no real rules and they make other ones people can personalize with quotes or whatever, but it just seems kinda disrespectful to me. There's a certain privacy about them that make me wish that he didn't wear it like some medal. I honestly don't think he wears it for remembrance or in honor of anyone.

Absolutely agree. My dad was a Marine who served in Vietnam for a year and he followed that up with a few years in the National Guard. He earned his Dog Tags. Lawson has not. I could really give a rat’s ass if a stranger chooses to wear them as a fashion statement (though I find it weird), but with Lawson it does bother me because he constantly puts on a super patriotic front - because ‘Murica and he’s such a manly man! - without doing anything to back his claims of patriotism up. 

I’m sick of his posturing. If you have to flat out tell people how patriotic you are or pull stunts to show it off then you’re doing it wrong. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 2

On 5/21/2019 at 6:32 AM, formergothardite said:

So many fundies are into this! I've lost count of how many how shown up here to rant at us about it. They are all pretty terrible at defending their beliefs and tend to go off in a sulk. 

W/R/T:  Libertarianism....  This is obviously anecdotal, but I have noticed "Libertarian" is middle class white male code for:  "I don't want to pay taxes, but I don't want to back Republican social politics."  And in the 2016 election, it was white male code for "I don't want to vote for Donald Trump, but I am for damn sure not voting for a woman."

Edited by QuiverDance
  • Upvote 14

3 hours ago, QuiverDance said:

W/R/T:  Libertarianism....  This is obviously anecdotal, but I have noticed "Libertarian" is middle class white male code for:  "I don't want to pay taxes, but I don't want to back Republican social politics."

That's pretty much why I was one...less the penis of course.

Damn FJ, and life, for kicking some compassion into me.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 3

On 5/20/2019 at 12:57 PM, formergothardite said:

Trump has made a lot of awful people think that they no longer have to hide the hate and I wouldn't be surprised if that is why Lawson has started keeping a Twitter of hate. The family quickly hid all the evil in their lives when they realized it would lose them followers, but I bet Lawson thinks he now can be public with who they really are and nothing will happen to lose them money. And so far nothing has. 

This.  

Trump has managed to give permission to many people to voice hateful, hurtful and racist ideals. I’ve noticed that these people who are voicing these options call themselves Christians, like Lawson.  In many ways, I feel like he is using religion to justify his agreement with and approval of these hateful and racist ideals and actions.  Because, Jesus and the Bible. But more and more, I see their actions and their rhetoric as radical, especially after being so emboldened by Trump. 

I wonder, at what point can we refer to this group of people as radical Christians?  Or is the word “radical” too scary?  My husband and I had this conversation the other day. We’re both atheist, so the terminology, Radical Christianity, doesn’t bother us, but I wonder how Christians feel about this though. 

• Upvote 22

6 minutes ago, Oh_Dear! said:

I wonder, at what point can we refer to this group of people as radical Christians?  

I think it is long past time we start calling them this. They have been radicalized and are hurting people with their beliefs. Children are dying, being locked in cages and being ripped from the arms of their parents sometimes never to see them again, and blame can fall on people like the Bates who help monster gain power. 

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 1

Just now, formergothardite said:

I think it is long past time we start calling them this. They have been radicalized and are hurting people with their beliefs. Children are dying, being locked in cages and being ripped from the arms of their parents sometimes never to see them again, and blame can fall on people like the Bates who help monster gain power. 

Exactly my point! 

• Upvote 9

Just now, Oh_Dear! said:

Exactly my point! 

I personally think most of the republican party has been radicalized and a good chunk of evangelicals. The time for acting like these people aren't that dangerous because they put on pants is way in the past. I worry about the future of my daughters, especially Trump wins again. 

• Upvote 17
  • Love 2

On 5/22/2019 at 12:20 AM, Perrierwithlemon said:

These are excellent points.  

On 5/22/2019 at 11:48 AM, VelociRapture said:

Absolutely agree. My dad was a Marine who served in Vietnam for a year and he followed that up with a few years in the National Guard. He earned his Dog Tags. Lawson has not. I could really give a rat’s ass if a stranger chooses to wear them as a fashion statement (though I find it weird), but with Lawson it does bother me because he constantly puts on a super patriotic front - because ‘Murica and he’s such a manly man! - without doing anything to back his claims of patriotism up. 

I’m sick of his posturing. If you have to flat out tell people how patriotic you are or pull stunts to show it off then you’re doing it wrong. 

Bolding mine.  It's such a great point.  Lets see if Lawson can earn his. I'd love for him to get a female drill sergeant. ha 

Edited by The Mother Dust
bumbling fingers/typos
  • Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, Oh_Dear! said:

This.  

Trump has managed to give permission to many people to voice hateful, hurtful and racist ideals. I’ve noticed that these people who are voicing these options call themselves Christians, like Lawson.  In many ways, I feel like he is using religion to justify his agreement with and approval of these hateful and racist ideals and actions.  Because, Jesus and the Bible. But more and more, I see their actions and their rhetoric as radical, especially after being so emboldened by Trump. 

I wonder, at what point can we refer to this group of people as radical Christians?  Or is the word “radical” too scary?  My husband and I had this conversation the other day. We’re both atheist, so the terminology, Radical Christianity, doesn’t bother us, but I wonder how Christians feel about this though. 

Yes, Trump is giving them permission. With his own hateful and racists words and policies he's trying to push through and by saying there were "good" people on both sides during that white supremacy rally. 

And yes Lawson is using religion to justify his own racism and hateful views. People have been doing that for centuries. The Fundies, and other hateful people always use the Bible for that reason. They pick and chose what they want to follow. Amazingly they always skip over Jesus's teachings or twist them around. Jesus welcomed everyone. He mention Everyone. But of course Fundies and other groups "correct" it by saying he didn't mean gays, lesbians or anyone who isn't a white male. Which of course is bullshit. They use the Bible to say women were inferior to men and its in the Bible. But what about the passage about how men are suppose to love their wives? I guess they forgot that one along with the ones on how to treat people or the wealthy and gathering money for themselves. Stop using the Bible to hide or justify your views Lawson. Your a privilege racist full of hate and full of shit.

• Upvote 9
  • Love 2

On 5/22/2019 at 10:48 AM, VelociRapture said:

All the blathering about being McGodlike and blessed... all for show, they're doing THAT wrong, too.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 2

Lawson didn't let a wedding stop him from spreading hate on Twitter. 

• Upvote 5
  • Disgust 2

12 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Lawson didn't let a wedding stop him from spreading hate on Twitter. 

What did he do know? I don’t have Twitter. 

• Upvote 1

Lawson is so bitter already that he is still single, i cant imagine after Trace makes it oficial with Chaney.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, llucie said:

Lawson is so bitter already that he is still single, i cant imagine after Trace makes it oficial with Chaney.

Oh bring it. I hope he (Lawson) has an epic meltdown. :popcorn: unlike females in the cult he has some choices. He's not a fundie maiden he can put on his big boy pants get a job and then maybe land some starstruck maiden.

Btw I still find it odd anyone thinks any of the Batesess are less fundie. You can put lipstick on a pig it is still a pig. Take a look at this one's Twitter to see the hate, look at the family connections, look at IBL, etc and whatever else others have written. Nobody is leaving fundieland any time soon...

• Upvote 13
  • Thank You 1

7 minutes ago, WiseGirl said:

Oh bring it. I hope he (Lawson) has an epic meltdown. :popcorn: unlike females in the cult he has some choices. He's not a fundie maiden he can put on his big boy pants get a job and then maybe land some starstruck maiden.

Btw I still find it odd anyone thinks any of the Batesess are less fundie. You can put lipstick on a pig it is still a pig. Take a look at this one's Twitter to see the hate, look at the family connections, look at IBL, etc and whatever else others have written. Nobody is leaving fundieland any time soon...

I find it so funny. If any they have become even more fundie, since they used to be mere followers and now Gil is one of the liders on IBLP and pastors his own church.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

3 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

What did he do know? I don’t have Twitter. 

Same thing he does every day, AussieKrissy: retweet every news article he can find about someone from Central America committing murder, with some one-liners about Dems making sanctuary cities and/or abolishing ICE.

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 5

11 hours ago, llucie said:

Lawson isn't bitter about being single. He could be courting next week and married in three months flat if he wanted.

Wasn't there a fundie singer moving from CA to TN that seemed like a good match for Lawson? She was super pretty too.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

9 hours ago, CaptainFunderpants said:

Lawson isn't bitter about being single. He could be courting next week and married in three months flat if he wanted.

Wasn't there a fundie singer moving from CA to TN that seemed like a good match for Lawson? She was super pretty too.

I totally agree. He loves playing that angle. So all the girls could swoon over him some more. He enjoys all the attention he gets from girls as a single fundie singer. If he got married, some of that would stop. He wants ALL the attention he can get.

• Upvote 9

20 hours ago, nickelodeon said:

Same thing he does every day, AussieKrissy: retweet every news article he can find about someone from Central America committing murder, with some one-liners about Dems making sanctuary cities and/or abolishing ICE.

Doesn't he go on mission trips to Central America quite regularly?

I hope these people there do not read hist Twitter...

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic