IGNORED

Priscilla and David 8: Destiny Faith is here

Coconut Flan

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i can't imagine....'hey neighbor, i don't know you, but here's a picture of our family and a book about addictions. now we're going to sing at you.' wth would the neighbors want any of those things?

round here, people know not to answer the door for anyone unless you're expecting someone. otherwise, its a good way to be a victim of a home invasion.

Safety dosen’t necessarily mean isolating yourself.  Many people want and need to feel they have a connection with their neighbors, that they know who is living 3 houses down and they know the kids who will Wait with their kid at school bus stop .That’s why neighborhood block parties are a big thing.Besides To a housebound older person with no family an event like caroling and bringing cookies is probably a delight.  

We just had a block party a couple of months ago and we had a lot of fun. We know many of our neighbors and talk with a lot of them daily. My kids play with the neighbor kids, I occasionally watch my neighbor’s kids when she’s in a jam, and we give each other treats around the holidays. 

But I hate caroling. Bah humbug ;)

4 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

To a housebound older person with no family an event like caroling and bringing cookies is probably a delight.  

when I'm older and home bound carolers had still better skip my door.

and Pa Keller wrote a book?  at least he had the good sense not to publish a how to on choosing a son in law.

I went wassailing complete with cider when I was a girl scout. Walking from door to door bundled up on a frosty night was at great time. But then I love winter nights :) 

34 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

I went wassailing complete with cider when I was a girl scout. Walking from door to door bundled up on a frosty night was at great time. But then I love winter nights :) 

My Girl Scout troop would sing at the nursing home and senior center. Those folks loved it but they could choose to leave or turn their hearing aids off if they didn’t want to listen ;)

16 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

My Girl Scout troop would sing at the nursing home and senior center. Those folks loved it but they could choose to leave or turn their hearing aids off if they didn’t want to listen ;)

My troop is doing this next week :)

On 11/30/2018 at 7:25 PM, Rachel333 said:

I wouldn't think it was weird if a non-Christian used the name Evangeline! The singer Brandi Carlile has a daughter named Evangeline. She is Christian but obviously very non-fundie and she still used the name. She  actually has a song about being a mother where she mentions choosing the name. (For context, she is gay and these lines are in reference to that)

The video:

Reveal hidden contents

Whenever I hear "Eve" I actually never think of the biblical Eve, I always think of the short version of "Evening."  "A winter's eve, midsummer eve"  that sort of meaning.  That's also probably why it took a while for the root meaning of "Evangeline" to occur to me. ?? 

On 12/12/2018 at 12:53 PM, Carm_88 said:

The video that was mentioned

That dog knows what's up.  He's like "No! Stay away!"  It looks like a Scottie or Scottie mix, those are smart dogs. ?

If my neighbors showed up at my door unannounced & handed me a book about addiction, I'd be mortified and concerned they thought I was a methhead or something!

I liked caroling with church members as a kid, be we only went to fellow church members, (mainly older folks) & they knew we were coming (and had refreshments for us).

23 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

I liked caroling with church members as a kid, be we only went to fellow church members, (mainly older folks) & they knew we were coming (and had refreshments for us).

I think that is great thing. They knew you guys were coming and they probably loved having you guys come. 

I think David and Priscilla should have simply went caroling, brought cookies, and share their family Christmas card picture rather than a framed photo.

The framed photo is weird and makes them come off as thinking they are as famous as JB & Michelle Duggar (who gift signed photos of themselves to fans).

The addiction book can make a neighbor feel self-conscious and I’d wonder if people thought I was a crack addict.

It was all overdone.

If I was a neighbor of David's and Priscilla's, I would dress up in my very best low-cut sequined top and mini-skirt and greet them at the door while smoking my crack pipe.  Do you think that would drive them away or make them stay longer and try to bring me to the Lord? (notes: I don't really smoke crack and I'm too big to wear tight clothes). :-)

28 minutes ago, NoKidsAndCounting said:

If I was a neighbor of David's and Priscilla's, I would dress up in my very best low-cut sequined top and mini-skirt and greet them at the door while smoking my crack pipe.  Do you think that would drive them away or make them stay longer and try to bring me to the Lord? (notes: I don't really smoke crack and I'm too big to wear tight clothes). ?

I actually think a very normal and seemingly happy atheist family would freak them out more. 

Why would they think that anyone would want to read a Pa Keller book about addictions?

Did they think twice before putting that poor baby in a jean skirt over pants?

They remind me of the Bradys in the Brady Bunch movies...cheerful and utterly clueless.

I was out in the world. (downtown Portland) There were carolers. I started singing to myself. Then they stopped and a girl started Jesus talking. I was not the only one who looked startled. They started singing again and it was “Go Tell it On the Mountain” Yeah, ok, the next bit of spiel was a justification of why the songs just needed to be about Jesus in his glory - not Christmas per se.

Much side-eye was thrown. I really wanted the train to come. No caroling under false pretenses. And no caroling that isn’t caroling. 

4 hours ago, Dandruff said:

Why would they think that anyone would want to read a Pa Keller book about addictions?

Especially one written at a 5th grade level. EA4A17F2-17DB-408D-BB09-A5484F3FA11C.thumb.jpeg.a38fe2c2ddf178e223870e1c02576bf4.jpeg

What an alarming waste of trees.

Why oh why are these people so misdirected in the name of Jesus?

I mean... I don’t know -everything- there is to know about Pa Keller. But I know he has HORRIBLE taste in helping his daughters with their headships.  Unfortunately, that says quite a lot.

Set that aside for a minute. Take the idea of prison outreach. So much good could be done from a charitable perspective. How much money was spent printing those tens of thousands of books? I am certain that any prison library would benefit from a gift of reading materials not written by Pa Keller. Or used computers. Or any number of things.

21 hours ago, HereticHick said:

If my neighbors showed up at my door unannounced & handed me a book about addiction, I'd be mortified and concerned they thought I was a methhead or something!

If my neighbors whom I barely knew gave me a book about addiction, I'd show up the next day at their house with baggies full of blue rock candy (what they used as the "meth" prop in Breaking Bad). 

15 hours ago, Dandruff said:

This is making me irrationally angry. 

A year an a half ago I lost someone to addiction, one of the people I loved most in the world.  

In a sense I lost him a long time ago to the addictions, but he finally lost his battle against demons he couldn’t fight anymore.

His birthday was this past week.  His FB account was never deactivated so that day the first email I read was “Tell the love of your life (actually, his name but whatever) you’re thinking about him on his birthday.”

I haven’t been on FB since he died.  Seeing his name in my email was a knife through my heart.

Fuck Pa Keller and fuck these two assholes delievering his stupid platitudes door to door.

I’m not an aggressive person and for the caroling and cookies I’d have said no thanks and shut the door ... but that book?  

Cone to my door and hand me that this week I’d have lost my shit.  

Unlees Pa Keller can bring my loved one back they can go fuck themselves with their stupid book. 

12 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

I don’t know -everything- there is to know about Pa Keller

You might.  He strikes me as a terribly simple man. 

JB is a dick, but his assholery has layers to it.  There is more to him than meets the eye.

Pa Keller seems to be very much a WYSIWYG kinda simpleton.

8 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

@HerNameIsBuffy here we are in the David and Priscilla thread and your count is "persecuted by Destiny"-- what did  that wee Waller babe do to you? : )

?

She sent me that damn book and a framed pic of her family.  Precocious little one learned how to use  stamps.com to evangelize the church of Keller by mail.

(It was actually set by @Destiny without my consent because she is terribly mean and kept throwing me into the PC and JTTH all the time.    At least she never sent me a book written by Pa Keller.)

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived