IGNORED

Priscilla and David 8: Destiny Faith is here

Coconut Flan

I live in OR, and we all vote by mail here, now.  It’s greatly increased participation, but I do think it’s sad that kids don’t get to go to the polls with their parents anymore.  I loved going with my mom when I was little, and I loved taking my daughter when she was little.  I think it’s a valuable opportunity to teach children about civic responsibility.  Children can still be included in the process when we vote by mail, but it doesn’t feel as exciting as going to the polls did.

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Teaching your kids the importance and duty of voting is one of the most important things any American can do.  

I totally agree with you and would even say that it is one of the most important things any person who lives in a democracy can do. Otherwise we'll see this political system come to an end sooner than later.

I am not going to shade David about the taking your kids with you to vote.  My parents used to take me.  However "family excursion" isn't the best choice of words.  Also, I am sure that my politics are the exact opposite of David & Priscilla's at least they voted.  

I'm another who when really little would go to vote with my mom - through say kindergarten (I was afternoon kid).  She was a SAHM at the time.  I honestly believe that it instilled in my sister and I the importance of voting because we saw Mom taking the time to do it.  I also recall the poll have a small example of the levers and such in the voting booth (circa 1968 or so) and being allowed to play with them while Mom voted.

4 hours ago, FloraKitty35 said:

I am not going to shade David about the taking your kids with you to vote.  My parents used to take me.  However "family excursion" isn't the best choice of words.  Also, I am sure that my politics are the exact opposite of David & Priscilla's at least they voted.  

And as all our fundies are posting their pictures of voting let it encourage all of us to get out and vote our views in an attempt to save this country!

On 10/10/2018 at 9:38 AM, EyesOpen said:

Aw, baby is cute. Comment is so odd - I don’t even know what he’s Trying to say about Asians?

Go home David, you’re drunk

On 10/10/2018 at 10:15 AM, MayMay1123 said:

she's the fourth baby and 1 in 4 babies are asian, but she's not asian, so yeah, aint i funny, haha.

david waller humor, y'all! ?

Oh Davy, that’s not now statistics works. *pats him on the head condescendingly*

On 10/12/2018 at 2:02 PM, NoKidsAndCounting said:

I laughed so hard at a post from a while back  This would have been when she just announced #4 pregnancy.  A poster had suggested the name Priscillo for the next boy.  Tears down my face because I was thinking of Davia's name is basically just an extension of David.  Can't Priscilla have a Priscillo? ?

Was that me? Because that’s totally something I’d suggest. If not, kudos to whomever suggested that. Next boy better be Priscillo.

13 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

I was pretty confused about it all for a good ten years. Because it was Kansas and the 90s and my parents liked Nader. So really we had minimal impact on anything. Then liberal college came along and W. That wasn’t a fun first outing. There was a campus couch fire..... Then I moved out here and one month later was 9/11. And I believe I became “woke.”  I like getting a voter guide in the mail with my ballot. It explains what the yes and the no mean and has all the candidate statements. That helps. 

You get candidate statements? The vote guide I get just has names. Candidate statements would be nice, especially for things that do zero campaigning like judges and board of education. It was nice to vote by mail this time and sit there googling people. But I wish they’d release statements or something. I’d like to know if a judge is racist, things like that. And there’s no explaination of initiatives, it’s just weird overly complicated language that makes no sense. 

My only problem with voting by mail is you don’t get a sticker :) 

5 hours ago, FloraKitty35 said:

However "family excursion" isn't the best choice of words. 

Just out of curiosity, why not?  Excursion = outing, no?

I remember we had an impromptu presidential election in class at the age of 6. I distinctly remember voting for Dukakis. I believe he won the vote in our class. Probably because he’s younger and probably a little better looking than Bush. 6 year olds are notoriously superficial ;)

37 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I remember we had an impromptu presidential election in class at the age of 6. I distinctly remember voting for Dukakis. I believe he won the vote in our class. Probably because he’s younger and probably a little better looking than Bush. 6 year olds are notoriously superficial ;)

We had a class vote in elementary school.... Ford vs. Reagan. Ford won.  

58 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I was there—at the dedication of the Tip O’Neill Federal Building in Boston—the day Dukakis threw his hat into the ring. Poor guy was such a nervous speaker I swear I saw flop sweat. It was such a marked contrast to O’Neill and the Kennedys who were there and had the crowd eating out of their hands.

I voted for him and Geraldine Ferraro anyway, but I gotta admit he didn’t inspire me with confidence.

@libgirl2, how did you have a vote of Ford vs Reagan?  That may have been in the GOP primary, but the general election was Carter vs Reagan in 1989 and Carter vs Ford in 1976.

I have so much admiration for President Carter, both for his presidency [and governorship] and for his life afterwards,  and absolutely none for Reagan (or as he was called at Woodstock Rayguns).  

6 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

@libgirl2, how did you have a vote of Ford vs Reagan?  That may have been in the GOP primary, but the general election was Carter vs Reagan in 1989 and Carter vs Ford in 1976.

I have so much admiration for President Carter, both for his presidency [and governorship] and for his life afterwards,  and absolutely none for Reagan (or as he was called at Woodstock Rayguns).  

My bad, it was Carter vs. Ford. 

18 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

My bad, it was Carter vs. Ford. 

We did the same that year in my grade school.  Ford won by a landslide.

1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

We had a class vote in elementary school.... Ford vs. Reagan. Ford won.  

Back when Dinosaurs stilled roamed I told my family that I would vote for Ted Heath (UK Tory party) over Harold Wilson (UK Labour Party). When asked why? I replied because he is more handsome! I must have been a superficial child!! 

My working class Lancashire family were appalled, and rightly so!!!!! When I eventually reached 18, common sense had kicked in thankfully. 

Showing my advanced age here, but I remember the mock election we held in my high school in 1972. Nixon vs McGovern. Sadly, I don't remember who won, though, or who I voted for. Hopefully it wasn't Nixon, but I was a self-conscious, shy 14 year old with an obsessive crush on a cute junior named Aaron, and I knew nothing and cared nothing about politics at that point despite my teachers' best efforts, so who knows? :my_dodgy:

1972 was my first presidential election, and I wrote in for Mo Udall.

I was in 6th grade during Carter vs Reagan and our teacher held a mock election.  Apparently my parents were the only ones voting for Carter (or else the other kids didn't pick the same candidate their parents were supporting).  That was not the first piece of the puzzle of why I didn't fit in where I grew up, but it was a major flag that was a bit of a surprise.   (My dad was a pastor and we moved to the area a few years earlier.  He was way more liberal than anyone else in the midwest neighborhood we lived in but had to kind of put that aside in the 80s.)  

I remember one time during an election campaign, my cousin posted several huge election signs on our property. It was the Party that both my parents voted for, but my dad did not want to alienate any potential customers. They were beef farmers and Dad said he didn’t care if he sold to Liberals, Conservatives, NDP’s or any other Party; just as long as they could pay the asking price. We removed the signs, cut them and painted them to use as mounts for pedigree info at larger fairs and exhibitions. Repurposing... ???

7 minutes ago, Markie said:

I remember one time during an election campaign, my cousin posted several huge election signs on our property. It was the Party that both my parents voted for, but my dad did not want to alienate any potential customers. They were beef farmers and Dad said he didn’t care if he sold to Liberals, Conservatives, NDP’s or any other Party; just as long as they could pay the asking price. We removed the signs, cut them and painted them to use as mounts for pedigree info at larger fairs and exhibitions. Repurposing... ???

I’ve never put a sign in my yard and it’s unlikely I ever will. I keep who I voted for private. Putting a sign for who I voted for almost feels like a sign listing how much our household income is a year. I’m not against yard signs. I just can’t put one in my yard. 

I have taken my daughter to vote multiple times. Our poll prints out ballots for the kids and they can vote for the poll workers. They will also give a sticker to the kids. I took my son once as a baby in the ergo and he had a meltdown. He started crying at the top of his lungs and he stopped crying as soon as I was done. He is two now and has not outgrown being a troublemaker, so Mr. A and I take turns voting.

There is a playground next to our polling location, so we do make it a family excursion when the weather is nice. 

In my town people have stopped putting signs in the yards. The reason is people have been known to take them out. I have a client who had 2 signs in her yard for someone I refused to vote for but I didn’t take them out because I didn’t want her to be mad. 

1 hour ago, Markie said:

We removed the signs, cut them and painted them to use as mounts for pedigree info at larger fairs and exhibitions. Repurposing... ?? ?

Ha!  I was the campaign manager for a friend who ran for president of student council in 6th grade and it was great....his dad was a judge so we had tons of professionally made signs in various sizes from his dad's last campaign.

We just changed the first name and position by covering over with construction paper.

He won.  To this day I credit my mad construction paper skills.

Everyone make sure to take time to pray for the prison ministry. I know I am. *sarcasm*

Destiny is already over this family. Look at that little face. She's done!

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived