IGNORED

Priscilla and David 8: Destiny Faith is here

Coconut Flan

23 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

Thinking about food when you have to go to the hospital is really important. I will never snark on anyone for that. Once you submit to them they take away your food privileges and then when you get them back, the cafeteria might be closed...and all the fast food as well.

Yeah, no good. Plan for that shit if at all possible,

Part of the reason I didn't go to the hospital until almost the last minute with my second birth was because I wanted to finish my supper. I knew the cafeteria would be closed when I could eat again, and I was hungry! Luckily, I didn't have any nausea that time.

So, I was lying on my parent's couch, and sitting up and eating my grilled hamburger between contractions. In hindsight, I could have planned for someone to bring me food at the hospital. I didn't get quite the full hour of IV antibiotics that I was supposed to get before the baby was born, and it was annoying filling out paperwork when I was in heavy labor. Even with pre-registering (or whatever they called it), there were still lots of papers to sign. It was a good hamburger, though. ??

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Why isn't this done for all patients who finally get permission to eat after having to have skipped meals?

In hospitals amazing life saving feats of immense complexity happen every hour of every day....they can't keep meals on hand for those who need them?  I don't get it.

I'm going to guess you haven't given birth, but I apologize if I'm wrong.

This isn't just about being hungry because you skipped meals - I once read that in labor you expend as much energy as running a marathon, and I believe it. I do wish hospital eateries would simply stay open longer to have food available 24/7, but understand why that's not feasible. This isn't just about being hungry and being cut open, you work pretty damn hard to bring new life into the world, and then you have to use lots more calories to breastfeed which always made me thirsty and hungry.

Our hospital had a similar service, you had to pre-order and I think it cost extra.

7 minutes ago, freethemall said:

This isn't just about being hungry because you skipped meals

Depends on how many meals you skipped. In my case, 4 days of no eating, 2 days sick before that. I would have eaten cardboard.

To be fair - when I was last admitted to the hospital I’d been in the ER for some time. I was doped up and very hungry. It was 1 am. The nurses were able to give me broth, crackers, string cheese, an apple, pudding and juice. That was pretty adequate until breakfast. Then I ate better than I had in six weeks. 

17 minutes ago, freethemall said:

I'm going to guess you haven't given birth, but I apologize if I'm wrong.

This isn't just about being hungry because you skipped meals - I once read that in labor you expend as much energy as running a marathon, and I believe it. I do wish hospital eateries would simply stay open longer to have food available 24/7, but understand why that's not feasible. This isn't just about being hungry and being cut open, you work pretty damn hard to bring new life into the world, and then you have to use lots more calories to breastfeed which always made me thirsty and hungry.

Our hospital had a similar service, you had to pre-order and I think it cost extra.

I have given birth three times.  I'm not disputing any of that, just saying it applies to other circumstances as well.

I actually tried to hold my second kid in while he was just coming out on his own. It was too fast in my mind. I barely even pushed. He was like, “get me the hell out of here. Don’t you dare try and stop me!” And slid right out. He’s still like that. Stubborn as hell. 

6 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I actually tried to hold my second kid in while he was just coming out on his own. It was too fast in my mind. I barely even pushed. He was like, “get me the hell out of here. Don’t you dare try and stop me!” And slid right out. He’s still like that. Stubborn as hell. 

Ha!  With my first I pushed 1.5 hours, 10 minutes with my second, and third 4 pushes and he was out.  The timing was different and I had them all close together.

But with #3 too fast for epidural and I had a migraine going into labor so I was glad it wasn't hours of working to get him out.

18 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

Depends on how many meals you skipped. In my case, 4 days of no eating, 2 days sick before that. I would have eaten cardboard.

I went in to labor early with a partial abruption and frankly my hospital was ill equipped for the situation. I didn’t expect this with my first baby and my doctor was an idiot... at any rate, I was admitted in the afternoon of July 5th and I bled and labored until July 8th at 7am and for all that time they denied me food. I threatened my husband, the idiot attending and all medical personal that I would sign myself out ama if they did not provide me food or a c section. Fucking ridiculous experience. I was given broth. Super happy I lived. Hubby was bringing me McDonald’s less than 24 hours after delivery.

19 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I'm jealous - I pushed for a total of 8 hours. With a break after 4-5 hrs for an epidural nap and another go at pushing that was 30 minutes away from a vacuum and then OR. Ended up with a big ole internal and external tear instead.

That might explain the ravenous hunger!

13 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Ha!  With my first I pushed 1.5 hours, 10 minutes with my second, and third 4 pushes and he was out.  The timing was different and I had them all close together.

But with #3 too fast for epidural and I had a migraine going into labor so I was glad it wasn't hours of working to get him out.

I push 1.5 hours with my first too! 

My two deliveries were as different as night and day. Both awful in their own ways.

1 minute ago, freethemall said:

I'm jealous - I pushed for a total of 8 hours. With a break after 4-5 hrs for an epidural nap and another go at pushing that was 30 minutes away from a vacuum and then OR. Ended up with a big ole internal and external tear instead.

That might explain the ravenous hunger!

It was actually really horrible for me. I was basically having what felt like a panic attack because it all came on so fast. I feel like a six hour labor from start to finish must be perfect. Not so long that you are exhausted but not so quick that you flip the fuck out. 

Whenever threads derail into birth stories I think that high school health classes should just bring moms in to talk about their experiences. Wanna cut down on teen pregnancy rates? Tell them about episiotomies.

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I can relate! This is how it when with my second baby too. I had about 90 mins of labor but my contraction were never really consistent so it is hard to say exactly. I barely made it to the hospital and I was trying really hard not to push since I was just in the ER triage area and hadn't even made it up to L&D yet. I ended up not making it up to L&D and the nurse delivered while waiting for the doctor.

And labor must just make me super hungry but with him I had finished a footlong sub about an hour before I went into labor and was still starving when he was born. That time I was not lucky enough to have a friend able to bring food and it was like midnight so everything near the hospital was closed. I survived on jello and a protein bar I had packed in my hospital bag. Then I ate disgusting hospital breakfast the next morning to hold me over until my MIL stopped by with real food. 

All my labors were really different too. My first was 12 hours,  20 mins of pushing. No real issues and it started off slow and progressed at a decent rate. I had an epidural at about the 8 hour mark.  My second was pretty fast and very intense. My third I had planned on going med free since I had my second without meds and while it was intense I felt better after he was born. My labor started off very similar to my second and when I arrived at the hospital I was 9 cm so I figured I was good to go. I ended up stalling there for almost 5 hours and was very close to having a csection. I was terrified of surgery because of a bad experience so was trying to avoid it. Luckily we were finally able to get baby in a good position and she was born shortly after that. 

One of my favorite photos was taken about 2 hours after I delivered my second baby. I was holding the baby in one arm and nursing, and scarfing down a Double Double from In N Out in the other hand. It was the best dang cheeseburger I’ve ever had in my life! 

After my first delivery I sent my husband to get me a panino with salami and another one with prosciutto. I longed for deli meat the entire pregnancy and also this time around I dream of my post-delivery salami sandwich as if it was world‘s most exquisite food ?

8 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I push 1.5 hours with my first too! 

My two deliveries were as different as night and day. Both awful in their own ways.

It was actually really horrible for me. I was basically having what felt like a panic attack because it all came on so fast. I feel like a six hour labor from start to finish must be perfect. Not so long that you are exhausted but not so quick that you flip the fuck out. 

Let me clarify - I didn't have an 8 hr labor, I had a 20 hr labor during which I actively actively pushed 7-8 hrs. I only had the epidural about 15 hrs in after already pushing 4-5 hrs.

7 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Whenever threads derail into birth stories I think that high school health classes should just bring moms in to talk about their experiences. Wanna cut down on teen pregnancy rates? Tell them about episiotomies.

Or pooping in front of everyone in the room. Teens are so easily embarrassed. They would die of embarrassment if they pooped in labor in front of everyone.

4 hours ago, BrandoBarks said:

After my first delivery I sent my husband to get me a panino with salami and another one with prosciutto. I longed for deli meat the entire pregnancy and also this time around I dream of my post-delivery salami sandwich as if it was world‘s most exquisite food ?

I ate deli meat while pregnant. I live on the edge ;)

7 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

Now I'm hungry! :) A sub sounds amazing!

Well, it is lunch time there. :pb_wink: I'm about to have a slightly late breakfast. Tea and oatmeal, probably. A sub just doesn't appeal this morning!

13 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

With my second son,when I went to the doctor to be checked before I went to the hospital,the doctor said my baby had ants in his pants and needed to dance,the due date was a week later.He still has that type of personality,sometimes ,too.He's also stubborn,but as my grandmother said..he did not pick that up in the street...lol.

Is it an old wives tale,or are more babies born around a full moon?It was busy those three days.I spent a lot of time in the labor room,alone.They said they had 21 babies in the nursery and 18 were boys.He was the only one I had that I wasn't allowed to push until I got to the delivery room.With my other sons,I had to push for hours in the labor room.

As far as I can recall,most of the food was good.They used to bring me snacks,before bed because I was nursing.I'm not crazy about bananas but the one the brought was good.They brought fruit or ice cream.

With my youngest son,it was about 7 hours.On a Saturday.Mr Melon was in a golf tournament.I had  a bloody show..had to meet the dr,in the ER...he sounded utterly thrilled.They kept me.I was at 2 dilated.Took me upstairs,afterwhile checked again 4,then again 6.I was having mild contractions.the labor nurse says  Mrs Melon...you're at 6 and you're just sitting there?My easiest birth,and sometimes, he was my most easy-going child.God,how I miss him.

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 8:25 PM, Captain Obvious said:

I did - but I predicted like 5 different names, so I don’t think that counts!

I must say, they’re an attractive family, in a Children Of The Corn kind of way.

In case no one caught on my username is a derivation of that, obviously :D

On 10/4/2018 at 8:21 PM, Carm_88 said:

Preach! I was in the hospital for 10 days before my little bundle of joy was born, almost 6 weeks before her due date. They kept stopping my labor and they wouldn’t let me eat solid food incase of an emergency c-section. I begged my husband to sneak me a cracker-A cracker! but he wouldn’t. Finally on the morning of the 10th day the Dr. said they were going to let labor progress. She was born around 8pm that night and almost as soon as she was out I asked my husband to get me a Wendy’s cheeseburger and fries. I ate every bite. And sometime later that night a nurse brought me a cold sandwich and I happily ate that too. (And I don’t even like cold sandwiches usually.) We got to go home on Thanksgiving Day and my darling sister in law made a huge meal for us. I remember I ate a couple plates at dinner around 6pm, then had 2 more plates around 9pm, and I got up sometime in the middle of the night to eat more. I weighed less 2 days after giving birth than I had before I got pregnant. 

On 10/4/2018 at 7:28 PM, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Why isn't this done for all patients who finally get permission to eat after having to have skipped meals?

In hospitals amazing life saving feats of immense complexity happen every hour of every day....they can't keep meals on hand for those who need them?  I don't get it.

The hospital closest to me has a small kitchen open 24/7 on each ward. If you are given permission to eat, you can stop in there and have what you'd like. It's pretty basic stuff: fruit, juices, milk, yogurt, sandwiches, crackers, and ice cream, but it makes such a difference if you are in the hospital and really hungry for whatever reason. I also liked it because I could go get my own ice and water. I needed to move and hated to ring to ask a nurse or an aide to basically fetch me something I could get for myself. The same hospital also has a massage therapist who comes around and gives massages to relax patients.  Of course, I'm lucky that I'm in an area with many hospitals that all have to compete, so they tend to focus on patient desires as well as good treatment. By the way, this same hospital was the first in the area with all private rooms and 100+ channels of cable TV plus wifi in each patient room. It makes being in the hospital suck a little less.

23 minutes ago, GreyhoundFan said:

The hospital closest to me has a small kitchen open 24/7 on each ward. If you are given permission to eat, you can stop in there and have what you'd like. It's pretty basic stuff: fruit, juices, milk, yogurt, sandwiches, crackers, and ice cream, but it makes such a difference if you are in the hospital and really hungry for whatever reason. I also liked it because I could go get my own ice and water. I needed to move and hated to ring to ask a nurse or an aide to basically fetch me something I could get for myself. The same hospital also has a massage therapist who comes around and gives massages to relax patients.  Of course, I'm lucky that I'm in an area with many hospitals that all have to compete, so they tend to focus on patient desires as well as good treatment. By the way, this same hospital was the first in the area with all private rooms and 100+ channels of cable TV plus wifi in each patient room. It makes being in the hospital suck a little less.

And I thought I loved my hospital! If I had been in a hospital like that, they would have had a hard time kicking me out!

The hospital hubs was in when he had his surgery was pretty nice. Free wifi, a small kitchen just outside the door of the transplant unit where you could get juice/water/snacks/sodas 24/7. You could also custom order your meals pretty much any time. 

It's a major university hospital, transplant center and level 1 trauma center so...

We learnt about episiotomies, tearing, pooping and watched videos of women giving birth with some real close ups of the business end in high school. I can still remember 20 years on. 

There were no student pregnancies :) While I am child free by choice it had nothing to do with being scared by the sex education classes ?

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived