IGNORED

Counting On season 5/6/7: Part 2 - Who cares, even TLC stopped counting

Buzzard

1 hour ago, BernRul said:

It was really sweet when Austin said he spent the first week checking that Gideon was breathing. But it sounded weird to me, because he kept referring to Gid as "it." Like "I went to check that it was still breathing."  Just seems weird to call a baby "it," especially when you are so pro-life. Maybe he's used to calling Gideon "it" from when he was a fetus, but idk, it still strikes me as oddly dehumanizing, especailly for that crowd. 

That sounded weird to me too, but as you suggested, when Joy was bathing Gideon she specifically said that Michelle always referred to her babies as "it" before they were born since for at least most of the earlier ones she didn't know what they were and Joy had ended up doing similarly even though she eventually knew he was a boy.

I think they did just get used to calling their baby "it" and it hadn't been all that long after he was born that they did the TH with Austin. So I'm guessing he was indeed still in the habit of saying "it" and hadn't yet switched. Presumably he has done so by now!

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, metheglyn said:

it hadn't been all that long after he was born

Eh. I still refer to GryffindorDisappointment as "the baby" when I'm talking about being pregnant with her... No lie. Like:  "the baby kicked like a soccer player" or "the baby was so high, I thought it was inside my ribcage."

Yeah, she's 27.

Post baby, no makeup Joy looked like a baby herself. So young. 

I was surprised that Jinger actually tried that dragons breath thing at the fair. She seemed natural and her reaction to seeing the smoke coming out was funny. Those older girls never seemed into trying anything fun, so it's nice to see them actually participate, even if it was just a local fair.

7 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

This doesn’t apply to Jessa and Joy, but preemies often need to be woken up for feedings because they don’t have the fat stores necessary to stay awake for very long. After our daughter came home from NICU we set alarms for every three hours so we could make sure she ate. I don’t remember when she started waking up on her own (maybe when she was around a month old?), but it was a relief for us because it meant she was putting on weight and growing. 

I distinctly remember the first time the boy sleep through his 3am bottle (he was a preemie).

previously we had feeding him on the 3s and he normally woke up - so when he went from noon to 6- I woke just before 6 in a dead panic.

he has always been a crap napper (aside from 12-18 months when he did nap) and even now, wakes up every night to crawl into bed with me (he is 5)

7 hours ago, Cheetah said:

Was anyone else surprised at how shocked Josiah looked when he thought he'd have to wear pajamas out to dinner?  He wasn't laughing.  For a guy that can't stop joking around, he sure seemed uptight about the idea of going out dressed like that.

Just before she handed him the other bag he looked downright pissed or as if he wanted to cry (not sure how to interpret his look). I think his days as The Prankster are definitely over and I think this already happened some time ago.

I think especially the pairings Joe-Kendra and Josiah-Lauren are very interesting. From the first look I would have thought the Prankster Josiah and the bubbly, giggly and energetic Kendra would be a better fit while the quiet Joe would suit a mate as the more serious Lauren. 

From what I see JoKen actually enjoy their differences in character and compliment each other. While Josiah and Lauren seem a bit off (I will hold my definite judgment till they are two years in).

5 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Eh. I still refer to GryffindorDisappointment as "the baby" when I'm talking about being pregnant with her... No lie. Like:  "the baby kicked like a soccer player" or "the baby was so high, I thought it was inside my ribcage."

Yeah, she's 27.

I do that with my 14 year old, too, but “the baby” is far less dehumanizing than “it.”  It” makes it sound like Austin checked on a calf in the barn, or a jiggamabobber in an engine. 

12 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

Just before she handed him the other bag he looked downright pissed or as if he wanted to cry (not sure how to interpret his look). I think his days as The Prankster are definitely over and I think this already happened some time ago.

I think especially the pairings Joe-Kendra and Josiah-Lauren are very interesting. From the first look I would have thought the Prankster Josiah and the bubbly, giggly and energetic Kendra would be a better fit while the quiet Joe would suit a mate as the more serious Lauren. 

From what I see JoKen actually enjoy their differences in character and compliment each other. While Josiah and Lauren seem a bit off (I will hold my definite judgment till they are two years in).

Lauren did say he'd played pranks on her (and she hasn't been around regularly for that long), so she wanted to pay him back. And Jessa said something about him happily dishing it out but not being great at taking it. So actually, I think it sounds like her decision to prank him was fair based on his own past actions, especially since she *didn't* actually make him go out that way.

This might sound harsh, but I’m starting to think Josiah being called a prankster is code for asshole.  

He covers his boorish behavior with “pranks” and “I was just joking”.

23 hours ago, bananabread said:

Snip*

Jeremy is a total attention whore and I can't stand him. Jinger is just his pliable sidekick, and I think that's why he pursued her. ?

Jeremy was in this episode!?

All I saw was Jinger walking around a fair with a Giant Douche Nozzle by her side.

That's literally all I could see.

D'Wreck is right, TLC really does air filth.

@TeaELSee I think you might be on to something there. Something is so off with Josiah’s demeanor. I hope they didnt beat the goofy, fun kid out of him to the point where hes now just a giant ass with no sense of humor at all. With everything that we’ve seen with Josiah I do think his idiot parents decided to reprogram him to some extent, not just his beliefs but his whole personality. It has had devastating consequences. He just comes across so defeated and joyless during what should be a happy, exciting time for him. And I do think he acts like a jerk towards Lauren sometimes. 

Also I saw an article yesterday about the FDA warning that that dragons breathe frozen cereal is dangerous. I didnt read the article though. 

9 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

You really shouldn't prank people, if you can't take being pranked back. 

I thought exactly this during his wedding ep. when they said he kept the rings with him so that nobody could pull a prank with them...like having someone rappel down from the ceiling with them. That's like if JD hires security to surround his getaway car for his wedding so nobody can trash it.  It's a lame move to pull the pranks but then expect and take measures not to get pranked back.

Joshiah seems like more of a lame-ster than a prankster to me.

On 9/10/2018 at 9:52 PM, nastyhobbitses said:

You're sorry-grateful, regretful-happy...

But for reals, I kinda want to write a fundie version of Company. 

As a die-hard Sondheim fan, I'm here for this. 

1 hour ago, TeaELSee said:

This might sound harsh, but I’m starting to think Josiah being called a prankster is code for asshole.  

He covers his boorish behavior with “pranks” and “I was just joking”.

When I was 20-24 I would have found it hilarious to have to go out to dinner in pajamas and thought that was part of the point of this thrift store date... to find something a bit silly.   But maybe growing up as one of the more sensitive kids with an asshole dad like JimBob, Josiah is more vulnerable to situations where he's perceived as looking less manly or something.

I went to a sip & see in July, my step sister had one, it was much better than a baby shower we had cocktails and snacks it was in a event center that her sisters husband manages so they get a deal & grandmas paid for it as well.  Only a handful of us (yes siblings/stepsiblings were allowed to hold the baby) were allowed to hold the little guy  he was 9 weeks old when they did it so a little bit older.  At 1st I wasn't sure if she wanted me or my daughter (she's 18) to hold the baby but she plopped him in my arms and I was more than happy to give him a snuggle.

2 hours ago, MsSaylor said:

@TeaELSee I think you might be on to something there. Something is so off with Josiah’s demeanor. I hope they didnt beat the goofy, fun kid out of him to the point where hes now just a giant ass with no sense of humor at all. With everything that we’ve seen with Josiah I do think his idiot parents decided to reprogram him to some extent, not just his beliefs but his whole personality. It has had devastating consequences. He just comes across so defeated and joyless during what should be a happy, exciting time for him. And I do think he acts like a jerk towards Lauren sometimes. 

Also I saw an article yesterday about the FDA warning that that dragons breathe frozen cereal is dangerous. I didnt read the article though. 

90% of the scenes with Josiah and Lauren he comes across like a long married couple where one person is just feeling over it and is really resentful and furiously seething, but you already had company coming over, so you’re putting on the good manners. 

He reminds me of Kathleen Turner in War of the Roses.

I know this is one of the most basic Duggar conspiracies to buy into, but I buy into it: something happened that impacted Josiah's personality. It might have been as simple as Joshgate + broken courtship, but I'm convinced there's something there.

Also, I get the impression that Josiah's "prankster" reputation has something to do with Michelle and Jim Bob's abysmal ability to know their kids as individuals. I think they basically consider "unique trait" like a checklist item that they can just check off... Josiah's a prankster, Jinger makes faces, JD flies airplanes, Jessa is strong-willed, Jill's a "midwife," etc. Normal parents might say: "Oh, remember how into pranks Josiah used to be? That was before his goth phase and then that ultimate frisbee hobby he got into. I'm glad the World of Warcraft phase was short. He's such an interesting, experimental young man" but for the Duggars it's like "Josiah LOVE Jesus and... uh... pranks! Remember that thing on the show 10 years ago?? That was great. God bless."

It could also just be a label cooked up by TLC, but I think the scenario above is more entertaining.

I know this is one of the most basic Duggar conspiracies to buy into, but I buy into it: something happened that impacted Josiah's personality. It might have been as simple as Joshgate + broken courtship, but I'm convinced there's something there.
Also, I get the impression that Josiah's "prankster" reputation has something to do with Michelle and Jim Bob's abysmal ability to know their kids as individuals. I think they basically consider "unique trait" like a checklist item that they can just check off... Josiah's a prankster, Jinger makes faces, JD flies airplanes, Jessa is strong-willed, Jill's a "midwife," etc. Normal parents might say: "Oh, remember how into pranks Josiah used to be? That was before his goth phase and then that ultimate frisbee hobby he got into. I'm glad the World of Warcraft phase was short. He's such an interesting, experimental young man" but for the Duggars it's like "Josiah LOVE Jesus and... uh... pranks! Remember that thing on the show 10 years ago?? That was great. God bless."
It could also just be a label cooked up by TLC, but I think the scenario above is more entertaining.

I suspect you are right. The more kids they had the harder it is to determine who likes what or is interested in xyz. Also no one is allowed to have hopes and dreams outside of marriage and babies.

Bet jboob and meeshell couldnt rattle off each childs name, date of birth (partners name, DOB, kids names, DOB), favourite colour, special interest, aspirations for the future. Without including the classic “serves the lord” “follower of christ” “blessed to have you” thankful for you”

1 hour ago, NakedKnees said:

Also, I get the impression that Josiah's "prankster" reputation has something to do with Michelle and Jim Bob's abysmal ability to know their kids as individuals. I think they basically consider "unique trait" like a checklist item that they can just check off... Josiah's a prankster, Jinger makes faces, JD flies airplanes, Jessa is strong-willed, Jill's a "midwife," etc.

Now I need us to complete that list.  If we draw any blanks, just fill in with "servant's heart" or "loves the Lord."

Jinger also drinks coffee.

ETA:  I see @kiwi & i were thinking alike!

Why, for Rufus' sake, did they use old footage for this episode ?   Jinger was what, 20 weeks pregnant?    Kendra was still pregnant too.   

It's so dumb of TLC to play with the timelines like they do.   Either do it chronologically or don't do it.    Makes me feel like I'm in a freakin' time machine where someone spins a dial and you have to figure out what time period you're in.  

i forget, have they told us how long this season (whatever # it is...) is supposed to be? I wanna guess what other timeline shenanigans TLC will try and "catch up" to lol

4 hours ago, BlessingsVonFundiePants said:

I can’t believe Kendra had to share a baby shower with joy.

I imagine shared baby showers will become the norm in this family in a few years with so many babymaking couples.

As for the thrift store date, if my friends and I had done something like this in our early 20's, we all would have wound up in prank outfits. At least one of them would've involved an 80's prom dress being worn by a dude.

1 hour ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

I imagine shared baby showers will become the norm in this family in a few years with so many babymaking couples..

I agree that is why the Duggars didn’t think twice about it,  but Kendra’s the oldest in her family, the only kid married and having the first grandchild - I just hope Her sister organised a shower on the Caldwell side and made her feel like having a first baby is a big deal and worthy she was worthy of being celebrated not just tacked on to a Duggar girls event.  ( I also think Tyler should have rated his own birthday party  - not just tacked onto Henry’s)

• Buzzard locked this topic

Archived