IGNORED

Mr & Mrs Jill Duggar 59: Still Dull in Dillsville

Jellybean

Jill doesn't look thin at all to me. Actually (just from that angle) she looks about the same size as me, and I'm definitely not gaunt, lol! If anything she just looks a bit tired, and the long long hair doesn't really help. (I personally think she looks great, and her hair is fantastic - I'm currently seeing how long I can grow my hair before it drives me crazy, so I'm fully in support of absurdly long hair, haha.)

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She doesn't look particularly thin to me. But then, it's been established that I have a skewed view so...

11 hours ago, kiwi said:

Jills latest instagram post is just plain odd... and WAY to tryhard. 

Their “garden” video screen shot looks like my weedy garden, certainly not Jana’s lovely well done garden! She looks pregnant in the family photo and who lays out a facecloth to display a smoothie with some mandarin segments on it?!? 

Whats the deal with directing traffic to their “family website” - do they get paid for the views? Id rather see a couple of nice photos of the boys a week vs dozens of badly taken, not thought out photos/videos. Less is more! Keep people wondering! 

I don't want to go on their family website because I do think it means click a dollar and i don't need to feed them.  That is OfJill's job 

and gardening is the seed to life - for them hello

I love my gardner, he is worth every penny as is my painter 

1 hour ago, frugalitymom said:

Jill looks exceptionally thin in that picture almost gaunt. Has she always been that small?

She still has padding in her cheeks and some fullness in her upper arms. She's definitely slender but I'd say she's well within a healthy BMI. Maybe we have different definitions of gaunt? For me gaunt is zero visible body fat and a BMI below 18. 

She looks normal to me.  Maybe a little bit thinner but certainly not unhealthy.  For a change I have nothing to snark on about those pics.  If she could just get her headship to stop spewing bullshit she might be able to stick with cute kid pics and remake her family's image a bit.  But I don't see that ever happening.

She looks good, like she lost the last of her baby weight from the boys, or it could just be the angle that is making her look thin to some.  I agree, for once they are sweet pics of her and the boys, no stupid open mouth surprise face, the boys look happy and comfortable and she doesn't seem to be faking anything.  She's home, she's safe there, comfortable there, she's very different around Derelict, not as free and relaxed when they are all together. 

I think Israel looks like a mini Derick but Samuel looks just like Jill! Especially the eyes. 

Commenting on Jill's physique even though it feels icky to me- I think she looks slim but healthy. I also think Jill is pretty, particularly when she has a fuller face and glow from pregnancy, and she seems much happier in Arkansas. 

And now getting off the Jill love train because I find Jill and OfJill just as annoying as the rest of you.

Jill looks good to me, best of all what seems like a genuine smile. 

Way better than open-mouthed pics.

Have we discussed Jill’s recipe post today? It’s for “Breakfast Casserole - Potato, Egg, & Cheese” (super creative name there) and it’s a breakfast version of the tater tot casserole. It’s something that could potentially be good with some sausage and veggies, but it’s just a bag of tots, a carton of eggs, a stick of butter, and as much cheese as you want to throw on top. (Plus milk, hot sauce, salt and pepper.) I can feel my arteries hardening now. There’s also an extremely unappetizing photo.

1 hour ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Have we discussed Jill’s recipe post today? It’s for “Breakfast Casserole - Potato, Egg, & Cheese” (super creative name there) and it’s a breakfast version of the tater tot casserole. It’s something that could potentially be good with some sausage and veggies, but it’s just a bag of tots, a carton of eggs, a stick of butter, and as much cheese as you want to throw on top. (Plus milk, hot sauce, salt and pepper.) I can feel my arteries hardening now. There’s also an extremely unappetizing photo.

That sounds awful. I wish she would learn better recipes...and share those. 

45 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

This is HUGELY BEC, but I do have a larger point here. 

I feel like that casserole name is a SODRT fail, and it makes me sad.  My teachers would have encouraged me in middle school to reword that into something that is more concise.  Even without changing the words used, I feel like "Potato, Egg, and Cheese Breakfast Casserole" is a much better way to name that UNLESS you are doing something like a series of breakfast casseroles and that's your naming convention.  In that case, I would put a colon there.  "Breakfast Casserole: Potato, Egg, and Cheese", "Breakfast Casserole: Bacon, Egg, and Hash-browns", "Breakfast Casserole: Denver".  That sort of thing.

It just really shows that Jill never received the attention of a dedicated teacher who was willing to take the time to make those small corrections and discuss those quibbles.  Yes, it's a small thing.  But I would argue that "Potato, Egg, and Cheese Breakfast Casserole" is objectively a better name.  It's more concise.  The modifiers/descriptors are in front, which is generally more appealing and easier to read.  The brain can easily follow the word order to build our image of the breakfast casserole, whereas in Jill's version, we sort of jump backwards to re-modify our idea of breakfast casserole since she provides the descriptors after.  It removes the need to use an odd and possibly inappropriate  (This is not an issue in some languages where back-modifying is the rule, but to a native English speaker's brain, it makes more sense for the modifiers to come first since English generally front-modifies.)

I know, this is a really small quibble.  But it makes me sad to think that Jill was taught by someone who didn't have the time, energy, or education to fight quibbles in her writing and teach her things like "word order is important, because even if it doesn't change the meaning, it can change the appeal and the impact".  It makes a difference in whether or not someone WANTS to read your writing, and when you're trying to be a blogger, it's going to be REALLY hard to maintain a following when your writing is what my teachers would have called "sloppy and a chore to read".  

1 hour ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Gross. Instead of pre-baking the tots for a little crunch, she drowns them in butter.  They are already high in fat and would be mushy in the casserole prepared like that.  Oh, and I guess Derick no longer has a dairy allergy...

Why not just save yourself some time and have the potatoes and eggs without mixing everything together?

20 minutes ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

Gross. Instead of pre-baking the tots for a little crunch, she drowns them in butter.  They are already high in fat and would be mushy in the casserole prepared like that.  Oh, and I guess Derick no longer has a dairy allergy...

Someone said Derick’s allergies are only exercise induced, and honestly, that’s the only thing that would make sense to me. Because with the allergies they listed, there’s no way he’d be eating 90% of the stuff he’s shown eating, especially that chocolate mess. Either that or they went to one of those quack naturopaths who did one of those extremely dubious blood tests and told him he was allergic to fifty different things (‘oh and by the way you’d better buy my supplements and herbal remedies for $8000’ to help cure your ‘allergies’)....

2 hours ago, Georgiana said:

This is HUGELY BEC, but I do have a larger point here. 

I feel like that casserole name is a SODRT fail, and it makes me sad.  My teachers would have encouraged me in middle school to reword that into something that is more concise.  Even without changing the words used, I feel like "Potato, Egg, and Cheese Breakfast Casserole" is a much better way to name that UNLESS you are doing something like a series of breakfast casseroles and that's your naming convention.  In that case, I would put a colon there.  "Breakfast Casserole: Potato, Egg, and Cheese", "Breakfast Casserole: Bacon, Egg, and Hash-browns", "Breakfast Casserole: Denver".  That sort of thing.

It just really shows that Jill never received the attention of a dedicated teacher who was willing to take the time to make those small corrections and discuss those quibbles.  Yes, it's a small thing.  But I would argue that "Potato, Egg, and Cheese Breakfast Casserole" is objectively a better name.  It's more concise.  The modifiers/descriptors are in front, which is generally more appealing and easier to read.  The brain can easily follow the word order to build our image of the breakfast casserole, whereas in Jill's version, we sort of jump backwards to re-modify our idea of breakfast casserole since she provides the descriptors after.  It removes the need to use an odd and possibly inappropriate  (This is not an issue in some languages where back-modifying is the rule, but to a native English speaker's brain, it makes more sense for the modifiers to come first since English generally front-modifies.)

I know, this is a really small quibble.  But it makes me sad to think that Jill was taught by someone who didn't have the time, energy, or education to fight quibbles in her writing and teach her things like "word order is important, because even if it doesn't change the meaning, it can change the appeal and the impact".  It makes a difference in whether or not someone WANTS to read your writing, and when you're trying to be a blogger, it's going to be REALLY hard to maintain a following when your writing is what my teachers would have called "sloppy and a chore to read".  

I totally agree.  That sort of thing may not get noticed or matter if she wasn't being a public figure/blogger/whatever.   

Still, I know what you mean.  It's fun too!  Having a good command of the language you speak.  Avid readers gain this ability as well.  I think it is important, personally.  

5 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Oh man. This reminds me. My building has these coffee hours every other month, and each time a different office hosts and provides food. This time someone made tater tot casserole! I was so excited, I’ve never seen one in the wild! Sadly it has sausage in it so I couldn’t try it.

I love a good breakfast casserole but I saw the picture of it and it looks awful. Why not use some hashbrowns with onions and pepper instead of tater tots? 

That recipe reminds me of a recipe that is popular around here that uses bread instead of tater tots.  So the tots sound like high cuisine compared to that!

1 minute ago, Frumper said:

That recipe reminds me of a recipe that is popular around here that uses bread instead of tater tots.  So the tots sound like high cuisine compared to that!

I know that recipe.We were invited to a party to celebrate my aunt and uncle's 50th wedding anniversary.My cousin made  a casserole like that using bread,sausage,eggs,cheese,heavy cream.

Years ago,I made a Tater Tot casserole,the recipe I used was a little different than the Duggar's recipe,instead of two kind of the cream of something soup,you use one cream of something and a pack of onion soup,of the 5 of us,one of my sons and I liked it,in fact that son loved it,and would ask me to make it.I thought it was too salty for my taste.

What a heavy breakfast. Full of starchy carbs and fat...ok for a once in a while treat but not something you'd want to eat regularly.

The Duggars are actually quite lucky that they all seem to have quick metabolisms (Josh being the notable exception thus far) because their diets are mostly atrocious - too many calories, too many carbs, too much processed and canned food. If I ate like them I'd be double my size for sure.

That breakfast casserole has WAY too much fat in it. Premade frozen hashbrowns already have a ton of oil in them, and she says to put in butter? Ugh. Still, if a person had a tiny amount of the casserole alongside some fruit or vegetables it might be salvageable. It would be nice if when posting these calorie bomb recipes there was a serving size suggestion, or maybe a calorie count.  Most of us know better, but I could totally see some Duggar fans eating pans of casseroles and chicken/mayo salad and wondering why they're now 600 pounds while the Dillards who post those recipes stay so slender.

28 minutes ago, AtlanticTug said:

What a heavy breakfast. Full of starchy carbs and fat...ok for a once in a while treat but not something you'd want to eat regularly.

The Duggars are actually quite lucky that they all seem to have quick metabolisms (Josh being the notable exception thus far) because their diets are mostly atrocious - too many calories, too many carbs, too much processed and canned food. If I ate like them I'd be double my size for sure.

Calories are calories. What I suspect is that they're eating unhealthy foods but not that much of them. When Josh left home and suddenly had the freedom to eat whatever he wanted, he gained a lot of weight. It was most likely because he was eating more, not because the food he was eating at the TTH was all that healthier. 

I have a similar problem. I eat too much junk food, but I don't gain weight. It's not because I have an amazing metabolism, it's because I just don't eat enough, full stop. I'm now trying to replace most of the junk food I eat with healthy food so that I'll be fuller throughout the day and less likely to chow down on ~800 calories worth of chips/popcorn/pizza because I'm famished.

My sister-in-law made the tater tot breakfast casserole once while we were camping. It was good. Tater tot casserole in the wild, for real. Thanks @HarryPotterFan 

Last week I made a baked frittata type thing thing with eggs, milk (1%) shredded cheese and broccoli.  It turned out really bland so I made it again but this time I put in chili powder and sliced tomatoes. Better the second try. 

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived