IGNORED

Mr & Mrs Jill Duggar 59: Still Dull in Dillsville

Jellybean

I’ve never liked tater tots...or pickles. I’d never survive a dinner at the Duggar compound. Too bad the Duggars can’t watch regular movies, they would relate so well with Napoleon Dynamite.

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Seculardaisy said:

I’ve never liked tater tots...or pickles. I’d never survive a dinner at the Duggar compound. Too bad the Duggars can’t watch regular movies, they would relate so well with Napoleon Dynamite.

I’ve always liked pickles, but those things were fantastic during my first trimester. It was pretty much the only thing that would settle my stomach at all, but even those didn’t work for very long.

And I’m a big fan of potatoes in general. Tater tots are my jam!

48 minutes ago, onekidanddone said:

Last week I made a baked frittata type thing thing with eggs, milk (1%) shredded cheese and broccoli.  It turned out really bland so I made it again but this time I put in chili powder and sliced tomatoes. Better the second try. 

I make frittatas all the time (great way to use up bits and pieces of leftovers). To make less bland, try whisking some mustard and/or hot sauce into the eggs. Also I usually start mine by sautéing onion and/or garlic. Another great way to add flavor. My favorite combination is bacon (or ham), spinach, tomato and pepper jack cheese. Top with avocado or guacamole if desired!

8 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

I’ve always liked pickles, but those things were fantastic during my first trimester. It was pretty much the only thing that would settle my stomach at all, but even those didn’t work for very long.

And I’m a big fan of potatoes in general. Tater tots are my jam!

I’m all about potatoes. I don’t know why but tater tots have always grossed me out. I think it’s the texture.

9 minutes ago, LeftCoastLurker said:

I make frittatas all the time (great way to use up bits and pieces of leftovers). To make less bland, try whisking some mustard and/or hot sauce into the eggs. Also I usually start mine by sautéing onion and/or garlic. Another great way to add flavor. My favorite combination is bacon (or ham), spinach, tomato and pepper jack cheese. Top with avocado or guacamole if desired!

This sounds good, I always like when thread drift includes recipe suggestions! 

On a Jill related note, no snark on the breakfast bake recipe, I get a little tired of all the "ugh so unhealthy and bland, those fools" talk because everyone enjoys indulgence meals occasionally, she's sharing recipes not a meal plan. And what's it to me if it's not stuff I like? But what I WILL snark on- the picture she shared is clearly not of her recipe, it's a casserole with regular potato pieces not tatertots. Sigh. Beyond not taking a picture of her own dish, she couldn't find a picture of a casserole with tatertots? I did get one good thing from her recipe- Jill recommends you make it on a cookie sheet. My two cookie sheets are the kind without edges, and now I'm picturing my roommate who doesn't cook pouring 10-12 beaten eggs on one of them and proudly announcing she's made breakfast. 

Would it kill her to throw a few peppers in that? Damn. :pb_lol:

Although in defense of tator tots, if you've ever heard of Molly Yeh, her tator tot casserole is delicious. It's basically a chicken pot pie with tator tots instead of pie crust.

58 minutes ago, LeftCoastLurker said:

sautéing onion and/or garlic.

That is just about my favorite smell in the whole world. :) 

1 minute ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

That is just about my favorite smell in the whole world. :) 

Same. Add in my favorite scent of homemade bread...dang, I'm hungry now. :my_blush:

1 hour ago, LeftCoastLurker said:

Yea I mixed in a ton of shredded parmesan and chipotle powder.

On 5/31/2018 at 3:26 PM, Palimpsest said:

Holy smokes!  Time to post the Gallery of Regrettable Food again to lighten the mood.  http://lileks.com/institute/gallery/

Out of the kindness of my heart I'm not going to post any images, but I can tell you that the Ew la la French cooking, meat, and jello sections are particularly barfable. 

I just want to thank @Palimpsest  for some of the biggest laughs I've had in a long time. It's not so much the photos of food themselves (awful though they are); it's the commentary on the photos.

Sample comment, on a photo of what looks like hollowed-out onions crowned with peas:

"One gets the impression of peas re-enacting the evacuation of Dunkirk."

13 minutes ago, Analytica49 said:

It's not so much the photos of food themselves (awful though they are); it's the commentary on the photos.

You are very welcome.  It really is one of my favorite sites.  Photos and brilliant commentary.

And, yes, those cook books existed.  And they were regarded as the bestest ever foods of their time and women worked hard to achieve them.  I didn't suffer through the worst as a kid, but it was a close run thing.  :laughing-jumpingpurple:

2 hours ago, onekidanddone said:

Yea I mixed in a ton of shredded parmesan and chipotle powder.

@LeftCoastLurker

I also put tomato slices on top. The tomatoes were at the point that I needed to either use them or toss 'em.  It was defiantly better than the one I made last week, but I still need to tweak it. 

Mustard sounds like a really good idea. We have some horseradish mustard that would work quite well.

This looks yummy.  I wonder if I should send a copy to Jill. Or maybe Jinger (Rufus Bless).

One more thing for the night.  I sauteed garlic in butter tonight as a mix in for string beans. Quite yummy.  

roadkill.jpg

7 hours ago, Seculardaisy said:

I’m all about potatoes. I don’t know why but tater tots have always grossed me out. I think it’s the texture.

Me too. I happily eat potates lots of ways. I enjoy hashbrowns though.. Real, not McDonald's type. Gag. Giant tater tots!!

Derick posted about “the smooth tongue of the adulteress” on Twitter yesterday. I know he likes to post from the Proverbs chapter of the day (and it is in Proverbs 6), but the Proverbs about adultery really seem to stand out to him.

7 hours ago, RainbowSky said:

Me too. I happily eat potates lots of ways. I enjoy hashbrowns though.. Real, not McDonald's type. Gag. Giant tater tots!!

The only fast food ‘hashbrown’ that I really enjoy is from A&W. I don’t know how or why but it’s different, and better, and delicious. 

49 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Derick posted about “the smooth tongue of the adulteress” on Twitter yesterday. I know he likes to post from the Proverbs chapter of the day (and it is in Proverbs 6), but the Proverbs about adultery really seem to stand out to him.

He's not helping those affair rumors in SCA. 

12 hours ago, Analytica49 said:

I just want to thank @Palimpsest  for some of the biggest laughs I've had in a long time. It's not so much the photos of food themselves (awful though they are); it's the commentary on the photos.

Sample comment, on a photo of what looks like hollowed-out onions crowned with peas:

"One gets the impression of peas re-enacting the evacuation of Dunkirk."

When I discovered that website years ago, I remember laughing until I cried.

9 hours ago, RainbowSky said:

I love potatoes in any form. And I will eat the McDonald's hashbrowns. 

15 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

You are very welcome.  It really is one of my favorite sites.  Photos and brilliant commentary.

And, yes, those cook books existed.  And they were regarded as the bestest ever foods of their time and women worked hard to achieve them.  I didn't suffer through the worst as a kid, but it was a close run thing.  :laughing-jumpingpurple:

had you shared this before?  turns out it was already hiding in my (very long) list of bookmarks, and i can't imagine where else i might have found it, and it's a great read.  it was also the first i'd learned about aspic.  who is the sick fuck who invented that?  it's meat jello.  do the Maxwells make it?  they can, because there's nothing fun about it.  

fair enough; a quick look at the wikipedia says aspic frequently acted as a preservative before refrigeration was available, but that Americans took to it in the 20th century.  bleah.

I love potatoes in almost all forms (in case you couldn't tell), but I really can't get into gnocchi.  

Being from Iowa, I do love me a baked potato with bacon, chives, salt, pepper a little butter and some ranch dressing, as we put ranch on pretty much everything. 

7 hours ago, Nargus said:

The only fast food ‘hashbrown’ that I really enjoy is from A&W. I don’t know how or why but it’s different, and better, and delicious. 

What? A &W hashbrown? Is this Canadian?

45 minutes ago, RainbowSky said:

What? A &W hashbrown? Is this Canadian?

A&W is the name of an American (maybe other places too!) fast food place. 

My ex-MIL taught me a trick with baked potato skins. Now I usually eat the whole thing but every so often I scrape the potato and save the skin to make this. You put the skin on the plate as flat as you can, give it some salt and microwave it around 45 seconds, and check it adding a few seconds if necessary (it also depends on the size of the potato skin). It turns into a potato skin "chip" and is quite yummy. 

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived