IGNORED

Mr & Mrs Jill Duggar 59: Still Dull in Dillsville

Jellybean

It's embarrassing, but I was one of those kids, too. I never drank milk growing up and lived off diet soda and a bastardization of orange juice called Tampoco Punch. This may or may not be the reason why I have the bones of an 80-year-old woman and the spinal surgeries to prove it. Thankfully, drinking water is a habit I've been able to acquire as an adult, but I do have to be intentional and watch it with the soda to keep it down to one a day. Still can't drink milk, though--it's always almond milk with my cereal. 

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mountain Dew mouth is real, and a horrible problem. PLEASE stop giving little kids soda! If a family member does it in front of you, speak up! The kids don't understand that the tasty drink is bad for them, but adults should know better.

48 minutes ago, TheOneAndOnly said:

Mountain Dew mouth is real, and a horrible problem. PLEASE stop giving little kids soda! If a family member does it in front of you, speak up! The kids don't understand that the tasty drink is bad for them, but adults should know better.

"but it's all he'll drink"... excuses I hear from parents all day long working as a feeding therapist. If only you knew... My fav story is this kid (with special needs) who ONLY ate flaming HOT cheetos and drank coffee or juice. That was it. That was completely it..nothing else. He spit, threw chairs/tables etc when forced to do anything adult directed. He had diarrhea all the time by the way like nah really?!?! Ya wanna know how much I get paid to deal with that? Not enough lol

I was a "mean mom". My kids got juice...mostly to help their digestive systems expel what needed to be expelled.  Half juice and half water. They might have had soda if we went out to eat...but for years I didn't even buy it (cuz I'm a reformed Dew junkie). Their choices were water, milk, juice or do without. Even now we don't drink a lot of soda, I'm all about the water with those Wyler drink mix packets...adds flavor, no sugar. I have one kid who's a coffee junkie, one who's a Dew junkie and one who drinks water. Now, I don't give a hoot they're responsible for their own dental bills (they're 35, 31 and 27)

10 hours ago, ViolaSebastian said:

Still can't drink milk, though--it's always almond milk with my cereal. 

Weaned humans don't NEED milk. The custom of drinking milk past infancy is a result of a great marketing effort by milk producers + governmental (in the USA, don't know about elsewhere) subsidization of milk producers' efforts by supplying milk to schools for school lunches. 

8 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Weaned humans don't NEED milk. The custom of drinking milk past infancy is a result of a great marketing effort by milk producers + governmental (in the USA, don't know about elsewhere) subsidization of milk producers' efforts by supplying milk to schools for school lunches. 

No it's not.  Lactase persistence is a genetic adaptation that matches up on the globe with ethnicities that have raised cows - and routinely drank milk - for millennia.  Milk drinking was common in several ancient cultures.

American (and non-American) dairy marketing has it's flaws, but it didn't create the custom of drinking milk past infancy.

8 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Yes and no. US agriculture subsidies definitely drive milk consumption patterns, in particular milk as the de facto beverage for school lunch. At the same time, humans don’t NEED any specific foods. As a species, we’re really good at identifying lots of potential food sources, which was a major factor in the spread of humans throughout the world. One of the traits that sets humans apart from other animals is our ability to manipulate otherwise dangerous plant and animal matter to make them safe for consumption, or make them last longer. Humans have been consuming milk from other mammals for thousands of years. It can be a relatively sustainable source of food, as demonstrated by nomadic peoples in East Aftica and Mongolia.

22 hours ago, WarriorJane said:

Emerging from lurkdom to say hi to my fellow Buffalonians! 

(It feels good to be out of the shadows.)

Welcome neighbor!!! :highfive:

This is all so interesting. Here the prices for vegetables in season are very low. Fruit is often a bit pricier. So having rice with lots of veg is not only a cheap meal (I sometimes season it only with a bit of soy sauce and pepper- cook the rice, chop the vegs, fry it together, season it), it doesn’t need more time than a frozen pizza (which I just love from time to time). It also doesn’t need more equipment than a pot, chopping board and knife.

Obviously I can’t do other household chores while cooking and sometimes I am just to lazy or tired and exhausted after work for it. And that is fine. We just try to stay away from processed products at least half the time. Definitely not going to bake my own bread. 

I am also staying away from all those over the top food trends that are bare any real scientific grounds. Same goes for most supplements. What some people supplement without any need for it is insane. Poor kidneys and liver.

9 hours ago, feministxtian said:

I was a "mean mom". My kids got juice...mostly to help their digestive systems expel what needed to be expelled.  Half juice and half water. They might have had soda if we went out to eat...but for years I didn't even buy it (cuz I'm a reformed Dew junkie). Their choices were water, milk, juice or do without. Even now we don't drink a lot of soda, I'm all about the water with those Wyler drink mix packets...adds flavor, no sugar. I have one kid who's a coffee junkie, one who's a Dew junkie and one who drinks water. Now, I don't give a hoot they're responsible for their own dental bills (they're 35, 31 and 27)

Yes, at some point they've got to be responsible for their own choices! My kids are little, and I don't keep soda in the house, but when they grow up it's their responsibility to make food choices. 

I didn't like soda until I was 17 and working fast food. I could kind of tolerate root beer in floats and from the local drive-in, but didn't like the feel of carbonation on my mouth. Dad made pizza on Sunday nights for supper, and my parents (and later sister) split a 16 oz  bottle soda (Pepsi or Vernors) with their pizza. They'd also drink soda on vacation, as we picnicked each day for lunch. We aways had juice and milk with breakfast, then brushed our teeth. I still have a glass of cranberry juice every morning, as I've had uti problems. My main drink is water, with some flavoring squeezed in.

I make some pretty dire food choices as an adult but the "water only" childhood habit stuck.  It's genuinely my favorite drink.  I will sometimes have a small glass of milk with cookies or cake, and a soda maybe 6 times a year, if that. I've never really liked juice.  The bad side is that I need to lose weight and all these "all I did was give up my daily sodas and dropped 30lbs!" articles make me raaaaaage and wish I did have a soda habit :)

One of my sons hates plain water,so does Mr Melon.My other son and I prefer plain water that's what we drink the most.

Mr Melon had a diet soda habit.He drank it,all day long,the way my father drank coffee...all day long.A few years ago,Mr Melon started having anxiety attacks.At first,he thought it was his heart,he went to his cardiologist and had some tests,it wasn't his heart.One of Mr Melon's friends at the golf course suggested he stop drinking diet soda.He began drinking water with MIO,instead and now,he will have a diet soda,just occasionally.But his teeth are bad.He needs to have them pulled and get dentures. I have read that the acid,phosphoric ?is really bad for our bones and teeth.

I used to drink too many diet sodas,not as many as Mr Melon,but I had to stop.I have acid reflux,and as much as I do enjoy a diet soda,sometimes..it just isn't worth...how bad I feel later.

When my son was in high school,he temporarily stopped drinking sodas,and he lost about 20lbs.He had to go to the dr,and the dr was pleased with his weight loss and asked how he did it.

12 hours ago, TheOneAndOnly said:

Mountain Dew has a lot of caffeine in it, you might as well give the kid a red bull. I remember Leah for Teen Mom 2 getting stick for giving the twins Mountain Dew, her mum gave them coffee as babies too and allowed Addie to eat a box of frosting and sugar packets. 

Jill eats some healthy food and gives her kids fruit and vegetables. I do think her recipes are not the healthiest but not as bad as some of Jim Bob and Michelle's recipes.

35 minutes ago, Glasgowghirl said:

Mountain Dew has a lot of caffeine in it, you might as well give the kid a red bull. I remember Leah for Teen Mom 2 getting stick for giving the twins Mountain Dew, her mum gave them coffee as babies too and allowed Addie to eat a box of frosting and sugar packets. 

Jill eats some healthy food and gives her kids fruit and vegetables. I do think her recipes are not the healthiest but not as bad as some of Jim Bob and Michelle's recipes.

Holy cow, whyyyy would anyone do that to themselves?? Obviously, it's terribly for the kids and their teeth and bones, but toddlers/young kids don't NEED any extra energy! How utterly exhausting it must have been to look after them! I even forbid anything with red dye 40 when I'm watching kids. :penguin-no:

I've seen people put Mountain Dew in sippy cups for toddlers. I couldn't fathom giving a child that small soda personally. I'm gulity of letting little Quinn have a sip of my coffee every now and again but never a full cup of it. 

@melon my husband loves coke (he didn't like it very much when visiting the US - ours is made with sugar not corn syrup - but he said it was still better than pepsi lol) and has a glass every night with dinner.  I have to force him to drink water and he's been drinking coffee with 2 sugars since he was very little.  His back teeth are not great and I am worried about the front ones as he gets older.

He used to drink half his coke with dinner and the other half right before falling asleep while reading in bed, without brushing his teeth after.  I told our dentist that he wouldn't listen to me on this and she gave him a talking to.  On the way home he very melodramatically accused me of "throwing him under the bus" but he stopped with the bedtime coke and we joke about it now.  He used to be super skinny but has gained some weight in his belly since going on anti-depressants. When he feels self-conscious about it I tell him to cut back on the sweet drinks but he's too addicted.  I did get him down to 1 1/2 sugar cubes per cup of coffee.

Mountain Dew always makes me think of Pennsatucky on Orange is the New Black.

4 hours ago, mpheels said:

Yes and no. US agriculture subsidies definitely drive milk consumption patterns, in particular milk as the de facto beverage for school lunch. At the same time, humans don’t NEED any specific foods. As a species, we’re really good at identifying lots of potential food sources, which was a major factor in the spread of humans throughout the world. One of the traits that sets humans apart from other animals is our ability to manipulate otherwise dangerous plant and animal matter to make them safe for consumption, or make them last longer. Humans have been consuming milk from other mammals for thousands of years. It can be a relatively sustainable source of food, as demonstrated by nomadic peoples in East Aftica and Mongolia.

I'm not picking on you I swear, and agree with your point, I twitch a little when people say "the thing that sets humans apart from animals is..." because so many of the things that follow aren't true, and we're much more like the rest of the animal kingdom than some would like to think. Lots of animals consume otherwise poisonous plants or animals and can be pretty adaptive in their diets, and lots store food to make it last, like beavers and crocs. But like you, I am impressed with the early hominin who made a fire and stuck a chunk of meat over it, and ended up growing us all big brains instead of big guts like other apes. Lots of cool stuff came from that. Some days though, I think I'd be a very happy whale. Or maybe a bonobo? Living in a matriarchal society with my progeny sounds fun. 

My family was the "only drink soda at parties". As I got older the only time I ever drink it was at frat parties if it was mixed in the jungle juice or if I didn't have my honest tea mixer. 

I drink pop (we call it pop in MI) all the time. I don’t drink coffee and pop is the only caffeine I like. Honestly, I’m not sorry for it. I never drink alcohol. Pop is my only vice and I can live with that. I just make sure to drink water too. Currently a bottle of Mountain Dew Code Red is getting me through a long work day.

17 hours ago, TheOneAndOnly said:

I mean I’m fully with you that kids shouldn’t drink pop but if for some reason my kids did drink it and one of my family members reprimanded me for it I’d be so mad. What an overstep in boundaries. It’s not my job to tell another parent what they can allow their kids to drink. 

I was also a “no soda unless at parties” child. No coffee either. Mom always made sure I ate my vegetables and had fruits. We never used much butter or fats in cooking. Though we weren’t low-carb (health trends in the early 2000s were different) and I had a massive sweet tooth (still do). I hated water (moved around a lot and the water in those places tasted terrible!) so there was a lot of homemade juice. 

I’m try not to to judge how healthy people choose to eat because you don’t know what education level, access to healthy food or allergies/dietary restrictions they have. And there’s a lot of shaming in society of unhealthy eaters rather than teaching better habits and addressing economic disparities and mass marketing that make people so unhealthy. 

I will judge you if you don’t season your food though. That’s just...irksome. 

We had a silly little thing regarding fizzies. When we were kids, after sauna every Saturday we'd be allowed ONE mug of juice of our liking. The catch was that the mugs were these tiny ass snaps sized glass mugs with christmas gnomes on them. It kind of became a way of measurement in the house in general after that for any kind of liquid. If there was only a little bit of something, we'd say "tonttumukillinen", which basically means the size of the christmas gnome mug. As we grew older we were allowed a regular glass, and at some point a full 0,5 litre bottle (of Moomin strawberry fizzy, ofc). My parents were very strict on us kids getting our hands on colas though. They were strictly prohibited aside from parties at other people's places, and I completely understand why - the caffeine. I think the first time I was allowed to pick it up as my fizzy for the sauna was when I was like 13 or 14. Both of my parents are addicted to cola, especially my mum. She drinks at least one 1,5 litre bottle a day, and usually has another litre of it at work. She actually weaned herself off of it at one point, but she had really bad withdrawals that she decided to go back. :/

1 hour ago, Seculardaisy said:

I mean I’m fully with you that kids shouldn’t drink pop but if for some reason my kids did drink it and one of my family members reprimanded me for it I’d be so mad. What an overstep in boundaries. It’s not my job to tell another parent what they can allow their kids to drink. 

I don't mean to say that one should throw a fit if they see an older kid with a can of Coke or whatever, but if I saw a friend or family member pouring soda into a baby's bottle? You bet I'd be responding with some form of, "You do know how bad that is to do, right?"

38 minutes ago, TheOneAndOnly said:

I don't mean to say that one should throw a fit if they see an older kid with a can of Coke or whatever, but if I saw a friend or family member pouring soda into a baby's bottle? You bet I'd be responding with some form of, "You do know how bad that is to do, right?"

I guess I didn’t realize we were talking about babies having pop in their bottles. To me, catching a parent allow a kid to drink some pop isn’t something to raise a stink about, because you don’t know how rare of a treat that might be for the kid or what the whole back story is there. But yeah, giving a baby a bunch of  pop in their bottle is definitely screwed up. 

I honestly don’t know if I’d say something because I am not one to seek out conflict but more power to you for being willing.

Going back to Jill’s excessive cornstarch, didn’t she say it should be mixed with water and fail to say how much? I think the one cup measurement was for the cornstarch/water mixture, not just the cornstarch. I’m not going to bother to look at the post though.

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived