IGNORED

Mr & Mrs Jill Duggar 59: Still Dull in Dillsville

Jellybean

4 hours ago, candygirl200413 said:

My family was the "only drink soda at parties". As I got older the only time I ever drink it was at frat parties if it was mixed in the jungle juice or if I didn't have my honest tea mixer. 

Yep, same here. Sodas were never forbidden at home, but it was clearly pointed out that it was something we got to enjoy at birthday parties, on special holidays, etc. Nothing we'd drink on a normal day. At home it was water, tea, fizzy water with a splash of juice**, or milk. 

**To everyone who can't get kids to drink enough water, I introduce y'all to the German Schorle. I still prefer my water with just enough juice that the water doesn't taste too plain. Think 2 oz /±60 ml in a pint size glass of water.

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to share an office with a Dew dolt.  He would swig it all day long and swish it around before he  swallowed. When I say all day I mean all..fucking ...day. Swig, swish, gulp..swig, swish, gulp..(rinse lather repeat) So glad when I got move down the hall.

It could have been worse, and it was when another office mate would floss his teeth and flick it into the air. When he wasn't flossing he was trimming his nails.

ETA: I work at home now and my office mate is my cat, so yea, much better

8 hours ago, melon said:

One of my sons hates plain water,so does Mr Melon.My other son and I prefer plain water that's what we drink the most.

Mr Melon had a diet soda habit.He drank it,all day long,the way my father drank coffee...all day long.A few years ago,Mr Melon started having anxiety attacks.At first,he thought it was his heart,he went to his cardiologist and had some tests,it wasn't his heart.One of Mr Melon's friends at the golf course suggested he stop drinking diet soda.He began drinking water with MIO,instead and now,he will have a diet soda,just occasionally.But his teeth are bad.He needs to have them pulled and get dentures. I have read that the acid,phosphoric ?is really bad for our bones and teeth.

The acidic thing is true and recently a protocol has been established when it comes to brushing after drinking something acidic.   Turns out, it's best to rinse, with plain water even after drinking soda or lemon drinks and the like.  Brush after 30 mins from consumption.   The tooth enamel reacts to acidic, making it temporarily softer and brushing is too invasive and strips teeth of enamel.  There is a fancy but expensive toothpaste and rinse called Carifree.  However, vigorously rinsing with water with 2 drops of bleach in it effectively kills and changes the bacteria and neutralizes acid.  A simple google search asking the acidity of any types of drinks and water will let you know.  You want 7 and above.

59 minutes ago, Beermeet said:

The acidic thing is true and recently a protocol has been established when it comes to brushing after drinking something acidic.   Turns out, it's best to rinse, with plain water even after drinking soda or lemon drinks and the like.  Brush after 30 mins from consumption.   The tooth enamel reacts to acidic, making it temporarily softer and brushing is too invasive and strips teeth of enamel.  There is a fancy but expensive toothpaste and rinse called Carifree.  However, vigorously rinsing with water with 2 drops of bleach in it effectively kills and changes the bacteria and neutralizes acid.  A simple google search asking the acidity of any types of drinks and water will let you know.  You want 7 and above.

Rinsing with bleach?? Like regular bleach??

5 minutes ago, closetcagebaby said:

Rinsing with bleach?? Like regular bleach??

Yes!  For real.  To clarify better, 4 drops per cup.  But, thats a lot of rinsing!  So, half cup=2 drops. 1/4 cup= 1 drop.   Rinse for 1 minute vigorously. 

That product I mentioned, Carifree?  The rinse has bleach.  No harm.  I used Carifree for 2 years now.  Just spit out well.  The teeny tiny amount you could swallow does no harm.  I've never had a problem rinsing and spitting it out.  Sounds weird, I though so too!  But, seen the results.  The Carifree products are better as they contain flouride and xilotol ( sp?).  Workes great on root caries and patients going through chemo.  Carifree has a website to ck out.  But, most are prescription.  I'm going to try the bleach water when out of my rinse, which will be soon, to maintain.

1 hour ago, Beermeet said:

To clarify better, 4 drops per cup.

This reminds me so much of Gypsy Sisters, when Nettie (I think?) would brush her teeth with bleach, straight on the toothbrush - so she didn't have to buy a whitening kit.

22 hours ago, feministxtian said:

I was a "mean mom". My kids got juice...mostly to help their digestive systems expel what needed to be expelled.  Half juice and half water. They might have had soda if we went out to eat...but for years I didn't even buy it (cuz I'm a reformed Dew junkie). Their choices were water, milk, juice or do without. Even now we don't drink a lot of soda, I'm all about the water with those Wyler drink mix packets...adds flavor, no sugar. I have one kid who's a coffee junkie, one who's a Dew junkie and one who drinks water. Now, I don't give a hoot they're responsible for their own dental bills (they're 35, 31 and 27)

A few years ago I came across those Wyler juice powders, in the raspberry flavor. It was so yummy. I've not found it since sad to say.

I use water enhancer drops to flavour my water( I don't like plain water ). Not the healthiest, but I've cut down on soda pretty much. 

1 minute ago, Sky with diamonds said:

A few years ago I came across those Wyler juice powders, in the raspberry flavor. It was so yummy. I've not found it since sad to say.

I use water enhancer drops to flavour my water( I don't like plain water ). Not the healthiest, but I've cut down on soda pretty much. 

Family Dollar carries them, so does WalMart, and most grocery stores. I get them at Family Dollar or the 99 cent store because they're cheaper there. I don't like the drops for some reason. 

1 hour ago, Beermeet said:

Yes!  For real.  To clarify better, 4 drops per cup.  But, thats a lot of rinsing!  So, half cup=2 drops. 1/4 cup= 1 drop.   Rinse for 1 minute vigorously. 

That product I mentioned, Carifree?  The rinse has bleach.  No harm.  I used Carifree for 2 years now.  Just spit out well.  The teeny tiny amount you could swallow does no harm.  I've never had a problem rinsing and spitting it out.  Sounds weird, I though so too!  But, seen the results.  The Carifree products are better as they contain flouride and xilotol ( sp?).  Workes great on root caries and patients going through chemo.  Carifree has a website to ck out.  But, most are prescription.  I'm going to try the bleach water when out of my rinse, which will be soon, to maintain.

It sounds terrifying to me, but I'm glad it works for you! I think most toothpastes contain some kind of xylitol or sweetener now...I have to avoid that one in particular as it doesn't agree with me.

29 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

This reminds me so much of Gypsy Sisters, when Nettie (I think?) would brush her teeth with bleach, straight on the toothbrush - so she didn't have to buy a whitening kit.

This is exactly what I was thinking of! I didn't know anyone else watched that show. :pb_lol:

Until they make water flavoring drops without sucralose or stevia I can't have any of them.  Can't have erythritol or sorbitol or anything like that either. All that stuff triggers my migraines. I like electrolyte water and we have one of those pitchers with the filter in the middle so I can throw real fruit in it for some sort of flavor. We bought a soda stream but nobody uses it.

I'm cutting a lot of my sugar out of my diet but Hubby's last vice is soda and teas like Snapple with lots of sugar. His weight has ballooned a lot in the last 2 years and he has a long history of kidney stones. I don't keep sugary drinks in the house anymore so he buys 12 packs of soda and keeps them at work. It drives me bonkers! 

10 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Me too!  Turns out she was on the right track. Lmao!

12 hours ago, Shadoewolf said:

Until they make water flavoring drops without sucralose or stevia I can't have any of them.  Can't have erythritol or sorbitol or anything like that either. All that stuff triggers my migraines. I like electrolyte water and we have one of those pitchers with the filter in the middle so I can throw real fruit in it for some sort of flavor. We bought a soda stream but nobody uses it.

I'm cutting a lot of my sugar out of my diet but Hubby's last vice is soda and teas like Snapple with lots of sugar. His weight has ballooned a lot in the last 2 years and he has a long history of kidney stones. I don't keep sugary drinks in the house anymore so he buys 12 packs of soda and keeps them at work. It drives me bonkers! 

True Lemon products and Stur, both water flavorings,are sweetened with Stevia.They claim they use no artificial sweeteners.I have used both,and I like them.

I have an average of two sodas per week, one diet 7 Up and one diet Dr. Pepper.  When I was raising my son, he had two choices with meals, milk or water.  He loves milk, so that was no problem.  On Friday nights, we often had take out for dinner and he was allowed a soda with dinner.  And in the hot summer months, we'd have root beer floats as dessert.  So we did drink sodas, but not every day.  

My mom never bought soda unless we had company coming and my sister and I never really developed a taste for it. In fact, we actively disliked it. Now I'll have a rum and coke or a whiskey ginger every so often, and I love plain seltzer, but I just can't stand that acidic sweetness of soda. I tried Mountain Dew once and I thought it was disgusting. I told my mom this and she just smiled and said "mission accomplished". I guess so, because I've never had a cavity in my entire life. 

783938435_ScreenShot2018-06-03at21_56_22.png.268de9e46f04fad5e86ad0bb509c27d5.png

OH GDI I didn't know they show Counting On in Finnish TLC and I JUST MISSED THE EPISODE. I just wanna know how behind the episodes are here! I've also not watched Counting on apart from couple first episodes... *cries*

I only really get a craving for soda right before I start my period. Usually Pepsi or cherry Dr Pepper. The rest of the time I can take it or leave it. 

18 hours ago, feministxtian said:

Family Dollar carries them, so does WalMart, and most grocery stores. I get them at Family Dollar or the 99 cent store because they're cheaper there. I don't like the drops for some reason. 

No Family Dollar store here. Although there are two dollar stores in the city where I currently live, they don't carry Wylers and nor does Walmart. 

I tried the Jolly Ranch powder, very sickly sweet. I tried Crystal Light, but it's almost four dollars for that now. I like Dasani and Nesfruta water enhancers, and i recently discovered Zaz ones. Pretty good to be honest. 

I cheat with my water enhancers, I usually put it in few drops in a litre bottle instead of the smaller ones. I wish I had some water enhancers today, as I find it very helpful in very hot weather. Southern Alberta hot weather...it's not good for this East Coast of Canada person. Today is + 26, and I find that too hot. 

16 hours ago, Shadoewolf said:

Sorry to hear you get mirgranes. I do too, and it's unpleasant to say the least. 

Thankfully what is in water enhancers seem not to affect my migraines, but other things do. My most recent mirgrane was because of hot weather and the scent of liliacs.

I found cutting out soda very hard, and I think I could do it completely if I had water enhancers all the time. 

@melon What flavours of Stuff have you tried? I thought about giving that brand a try, but it's a little more expensive than others I've tried, so I held back from buying it.

I was born and raised drinking soda/pop. Home always had some and everywhere I went had some. One of the pros I had in my pro & con column for choosing university was that they had Pepsi on campus over Coke.

I have made a solid effort of cutting it out of my diet but I rarely made it past day 15. Usually my stomach acts up and I'm back on the soda bandwagon. Although I have kicked habit of 3+ cans a day to a max of 2, unless I'm eating out.

It also doesn't help that I'm picky about my liquid sources. I will not order a water when out unless it comes from a bottle (but that even depends on the brand and source). I have only lived in places with terrible water. My current town is actually the worse because depending on the location of the restaurant the water effects some of the food and especially the drinks.

I wasn’t NOT allowed to have soda, but since my mom never bought it, it just wasn’t an option. The only time I had soda regularly as a kid is when I got sick. I associate it with sickness and still don’t drink it. 

my hubby grew up with a LOT of unhealthy habits and drinks nothing but soda. He always knows I’m serious about not feeling well when I go grab a glass of Pepsi lol 

I miss the water I used to drink years ago in Newfoundland. Basically well water. Some might think that's bad, but the water where I live now isn't fit to drink from the taps, even Brita fllters didn't help. I usually fill up a couple of 8 gallon jugs for my water cooler every couple of weeks, but I've not been able to do it this time. I just hope I don't go back to drinking soda/pop, but that's not really a worry because I'm flat broke. 

We recently purchased an AquaGear water pitcher/filter - after LOTS of research. It filters out all the heavy metals, plus chloramine in addition to chlorine. Some cities use chloramine instead of chlorine in their water supply - and you can request the water supply report from your water company. Our city-owned water company sends the report out yearly, which is nice.

I grew up drinking Pepsi. It was "no big deal" and I was allowed to have it whenever I wanted. I raised GryffindorDisappointment much the same way, except I limited her to one small glass per day. I used to drink a six-pack of Diet Coke a day until I got a raging kidney infection. I don't drink any sodas now, though - other than occasional Jamesons+ginger ale or a wine spritzer with Sprite. I drink water, unsweetened iced tea, and coffee - daily. In varying amounts.

No, I don't have a mouthful of cavities and neither does my kid.

2 hours ago, Sky with diamonds said:

@melon What flavours of Stuff have you tried? I thought about giving that brand a try, but it's a little more expensive than others I've tried, so I held back from buying it.

For the True Lemon?I like the original lemonade,limeade and the raspberry-lemonade.For the Stur,Mr Melon bought it.I like the Lemonade,the Grape is good,I did not care much for the Blueberry-Acai,but may give it another try.

Sorry,Shadoewolf,I just saw that you can't do Stevia.

6 minutes ago, melon said:

For the True Lemon?I like the original lemonade,limeade and the raspberry-lemonade.For the Stur,Mr Melon bought it.I like the Lemonade,the Grape is good,I did not care much for the Blueberry-Acai,but may give it another try.

Sorry,Shadoewolf,I just saw that you can't do Stevia.

Raspberry lemonade true lemon I've never come across. I'm going to look for it later this week hopefully. Those Stur enhancers are a bit costly at 711, a bit cheaper at grocery stores, so I really want to try those. Thanks.

I have found the True Lemon,in several varieties ,at Walmart.

I am not sure where you live,we live in SC,Mr Melon found the Stur at Bi-Lo,for between $3.50- $4.00.those are more expensive.

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived