IGNORED

Dillards 57: Run, D’Wreck, Run!

Jellybean

our sermon today talked about racism. We may say we're not racist, but we live in a racist culture. Derick has friends who are homosexual? Not likely. How can he be friends with someone he's condemned? That would be like me saying that I disagree with nazism, but have many friends who are nazis. Does not compute.

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People like Derick seem to not understand that you can’t have friendship without acceptance. If you condemn a part of someone’s identity, you aren’t their friend. I’ve seen this disconnect outside of Derick and it annoys me to no end.

as a card-carrying Bisexual there ain't no way in Hell Derick has gay friends. He might know OF gay people or have gay mutual friends, but that's it.

Why do these people suddenly forget the message of the Gospels when LGBT people are discussed? Christ's love is unconditional. He doesn't care if you've repented or not. 

Also, God doesn't make mistakes. If God wanted me to be bisexual, then so be it. Fuck what a church says.

It's harder to control and manipulate an unsuspecting flock when you can't threaten them with God's wrath.  Derrick isn't likeable, talented or smart enough to inspire others with his own thoughts, he has to use garbage tactics like his instead. 

On 5/5/2018 at 1:31 PM, Marionette said:

I have seriously wondered about this & can't bring myself to understand because I know a lot of fundies who are okay with any & every Disney classic, but HP is a no-go. Snow White, The Little Mermaid, even Frozen, etc. is fine, but not Harry Potter? Ok. 

It's because fundies believe witchcraft is real, as the Bible specifically prohibits it, while Disney magic and the force are more obviously fantasy to them. There are also plenty of fundies who avoid any kind of fantasy at all, of course. 

He may be using the casual American way, as in acquainted with.

I would agree, I don’t think he has been intimately connected to, cried with, sat by the hospital bed of, or cheered on a gay person. Aka real friends, not just lab partner/band buddy etc. 

On 5/4/2018 at 10:13 PM, justpassingby said:

If Derick continues with his spiral I foresee him being invited to do an interview to share his side and him digging the hole even deeper. It will be glorious. 

I'm not caught up but I have to comment on this in context.  Derrick says it here and it's important.  HE THINKS THAT MOST AMERICANS AGREE WITH HIM.  He is just the only one brave enough to speak out.  

All I need to know about him is that his egocentric view is the only view, wither you say it or not. 

"Most Americans believe this, but are fearful of bullying like this."

HE BELIEVES THIS.  He is not talking out his ass.  He is fully 11000% sure that most Americans would be on his side

IF ONLY they were not AFRIAD of being 

BULLIED

or

PROSECUTED 

oh my! 

Also, just because he went to public school does not mean that he was exposed to all kinds of people.  I went to a lily-white public school in a suburb of Houston, and I swear that I was one of the few brunettes, for real.  There were a handful of black people, no Jews, no Muslims.  They barely tolerated Catholics (this was 30 years ago, FTR).  I know now that there were gay kids, but they weren't out---not a one.  So, saying you were exposed to a diverse range of people because you went to a public school doesn't automatically compute to me.

My guess is that they think public school is "diverse" because it's more people than home schooling, which limits you to only your eleventy siblings and maybe another like-minded family or two. 

Oh D'wreck; you're being bullied because of toxic opinions.

I am playing the world's smallest violin.

THIS is what happens when you go against basic human rights; the humans will come after you!

6 hours ago, candygirl200413 said:

Today at Church (my progressive affirming church with a gay reverend mind you!) we talked about how love seems to be the missing commandment, especially loving like Jesus when people who follow the bible to a t always tend to forget (ahem Dillards.). It just seems like that one is always skipped!

Way back in the dark ages of the 1990s, our youth minister taught us that only two commandments really mattered - Love God with your whole heart/soul/spirit/mind and love your neighbor as yourself. Moses said it first, and Jesus elevated it. If you strive to follow them, everything else falls into place. I always find it odd that very legalistic fundies like the Duggars missed that part.

Anyone know which high school he went to?

And I wouldn't be surprised if he had friends in school who have since come out as gay and he's counting them even if he hasn't had any real contact with them since.

32 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

Anyone know which high school he went to?

And I wouldn't be surprised if he had friends in school who have since come out as gay and he's counting them even if he hasn't had any real contact with them since.

His LinkedIn says Rogers High School. I didn't see his kindergarten listed, though... lol

42 minutes ago, mpheels said:

Way back in the dark ages of the 1990s, our youth minister taught us that only two commandments really mattered - Love God with your whole heart/soul/spirit/mind and love your neighbor as yourself. Moses said it first, and Jesus elevated it. If you strive to follow them, everything else falls into place. I always find it odd that very legalistic fundies like the Duggars missed that part.

My parents taught us the golden rule:  Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.  Same concept as loving your neighbor,  but easier because it doesn't require love, merely respect

7 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

His LinkedIn says Rogers High School. I didn't see his kindergarten listed, though... lol

Ah, thanks. I just looked up the demographics information for Rogers High School and it is only 50% white. That doesn't necessarily mean that Derick himself had a diverse friend group, but I was just curious since I saw it discussed.

To be sort of fair to him, after living in both Nepal and El Salvador (even though he was there as a missionary) he does actually have a lot more experience with different cultures than most Americans. And yet he still manages to be incredibly closed-minded!

43 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

To be sort of fair to him, after living in both Nepal and El Salvador (even though he was there as a missionary) he does actually have a lot more experience with different cultures than most Americans. And yet he still manages to be incredibly closed-minded!

I have lived abroad and don't think DWreck's xenophobic response is that unusual, even for one who's lived elsewhere.

There seem to be two extremes: those who want to immerse themselves in the culture and try *everything*, and those who look askance at the culture and try to do everything as "normally" as possible ("normal" here refers only to the home culture, whatever that might be). Most people wind up in between -- adopting some practices and discarding others.

DWreck and co seem to be firmly on the avoidance extreme, not taking in nor adopting new habits, ideas, thoughts. It's the kind of behavior I associate with those assured of their own home culture's natural superiority, and equally assured of the other culture's inferiority (in my personal experience, these would be the people excited to see say, a McDonald's while abroad).  Sadly, external exposure will only help so far as internal intellectual and emotional readiness will accept...so for some of these fundies, we're doomed to see lots of failures.  If one's ego is already so built up as to think one (and one's culture) is The Best Ever, then one isn't likely to see any benefits to other cultures, despite how obvious those advantages might seem to others. 

See also: JB being an asshat every. single. time. he was abroad, especially the "holas" in Japan.

Further reading: John "KJV" Shrader being the world's worst missionary in Zambia.

Exposure sadly doesn't lead to open-mindedness. 

So I've just discovered that my cousin's stepkids attended RHS at about the same time (one graduated a year earlier, one a year later, and one three years later) as Dwreck. hm

I just looked and I do have a very non-fundie facebook friend in common with Dan Dillard. I had forgotten she went to RHS.

31 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

So I've just discovered that my cousin's stepkids attended RHS at about the same time (one graduated a year earlier, one a year later, and one three years later) as Dwreck. hm

Ask them to spill the tea.

14 hours ago, cptbailey said:

some late-night twitter. the good old "I have gay homosexual friends. 

yX4GYNJy54Q6spShargmxsCQEvJvpftlI5PJbk86

He might be fooling some people with that, but I'm not believing him for a second.

Cry me two Rivers, Derick. You are insensitive to say the least, and a hateful, bitter bigot. 

Dear Derick,

From your tweet, I think we have a different definition of friends. When I was in school, I had my school friends. We'd chat when we got into class and enjoyed working on projects together. I hung out with the ones I played my sport with when we were at practices, games, and eating on the way back from an away match. I had other friends I met through activities that I enjoyed talking to when I was at a language club meeting or academic team practice. I had some who I enjoyed eating lunch with. However, I didn't visit my school friends at their houses, and they didn't come to my house. We didn't hang out together after school. I don't have any crazy stories about spending the night or trying to see a ghost at an area that is rumored to be haunted. While I enjoyed my school friends, in reality, none of these were real friends. Real friends are people you've spent extensive amounts of time with outside the school and activities setting. Real friends are the ones that you know their families well and, even years later, can still describe rooms of their house, as you visited them so often that you were like another sibling. Real friends are the ones you are still in close contact with even 20, 30, 40, or 50+ years later. As an adult, you know who they dated and married, and any children you may have know you right away as Daddy's friend, Derick or Mommy's friend, Derick. A real friend has celebrated a new life or the start of a relationship, and has cried with you when you've lost a parent, sibling, spouse, or child, or suffered from infertility or a miscarriage. Derick, you might claim that you have homosexual friends, but I'm betting none of these are real friends.

No way Derick has any gay friends. No gay person would be friends with that asshat. 

Derick, you fucking clown, stop being a crybaby, pull yourself together and start providing for your family. Being a dick on twitter is not providing. 

You know, folks, the older I get the more I think "leading souls to Christ" is more about trying to lead a life that does not repel people from Christ. Have had the misfortune to have been forced (usually work related) to interact with some evangelical Christians who were some of the most hateful, hypocritical, back  stabbing, nasty pieces of work. Often, I have thought I was glad I was a  Chrstian before I met them because if they were the only Christians I had ever known I would have totally rejected the Christian God and run the other way as fast as I could and "hardened my heart."

It's getting out of the way of God's work and trusting in the power of the Holy Spirit.

Just like an emergency situation, if you do not have to skills and knowledge to aid and assist, get the fuck out of the way of those who do!

I can't imagine why any gay person would want to be friends with Derick unless it was a Cady Heron infiltration operation with the goal of destroying him. 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived