IGNORED

Dillards 57: Run, D’Wreck, Run!

Jellybean

Before he was ever hospitalised, one of my friends had called it that he was bipolar because it explains Kanye so perfectly. If you've ever been manic/hypomanic ( I have only once) how Kanye is acting makes perfect sense. Obviously it's slightly difference for everyone, but I felt so smart, like I couldn't stop thinking brilliant things and making connections other people couldn't see; and so powerful, like I could do anything in the world I set my mind to. I'm sure if in that state you tried to put yourself in the shoes of others it would seem that their problems were so easily solvable that they surely must be choosing not to. 

Delusions of grandeur or persecution are both also common with mania. I'm sure Kanye sees his current mood as a strength, giving him a creative edge, and probably justifying the weird behaviour as promo for his album. To quote wiki- "an academically gifted person may, during the hypomanic stage, adopt seemingly "genius" characteristics and an ability to perform and articulate at a level far beyond that which would be capable during euthymia". Many people credit bipolar with increasing creativity, and he might not want to be medicated similar to people who think pills take away or flatten out your personality.

I personally think he's probably gone off his medication - it's super common, especially if you're unhappy with the side effects. Other than thinking you don't need it/you're cured, lots of people stop psych meds for sexual dysfunction, and one of the next most common side effects is weight gain, which, given he had liposuction even though his mother died from plastic surgery, he must've been finding really hard (his family and the media attention can't have helped in that regard - look how they treated Rob). I personally found weight gain on antidepressants way harder than I would've expected to deal with - you don't have control of your mind, and now you've lost control of your body.

I don't think Derick seems manic or hypomanic. Definitely unhappy, and possibly mildly depressed, given the seeming difficulty interacting/bonding with his children & avoiding social interaction irl by going online. I think there's a good chance he's in pain a lot from his jaw issues which is sure to effect your mood and your interactions with those around you. The acting like an asshole so publicly - possibly like many people he's been emboldened by the current social climate.

I think on reddit? someone who vaguely knew them said he seemed like he liked being smarter than Jill (he was put out that she corrected him on some minor detail of the bible he got wrong. does anyone else know what i'm talking about?) and that is the general vibe I get - kind of smug and superior, and lacking in emotional intelligence. He's getting an ego boost every time somebody is offended by his tweets, because he knows the one true way to follow God, and everyone else is an ignorant sinner. He wants to be persecuted because that is proof he is godly and right.

(Sorry everyone for the novel!)

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, justpassingby said:

This is EXACTLY what I was saying in my last post...Derick thinks he is preaching truth and that he is the one being bullied for it, not that he is the bully. He is being brave and not hiding his convictions. Because HE knows what’s best for everyone. 

I can not roll my eyes hard enough. 

But for someone like this, the harder people fight back, the more convinced they become that they are right. If he really was fired from TLC, I’m sure he wears it as a badge of honor. He’s disgusting.

dWRECK, please go on the View so Whoopi can drag your dumb ass. 

7 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

dWRECK, please go on the View so Whoopi can drag your dumb ass. 

I would pay to see that!!!

16 hours ago, artdecades said:

Ok back to Star Wars. I cannot understand how fundies who think Harry Potter is evil cuz of witchcraft are all about Star Wars which is basically about space wizards.

Because they don't call it witchcraft! That is seriously the main difference. I've had many conversations about Harry Potter magic vs. magic in other series. A lot of fundies are okay with some kind of nebulous, unexplained magic but oppose Harry Potter because the characters are portrayed as actively practicing witchcraft. They would have been just find with Harry Potter if Rowling had called the magic system something other than witchcraft.

I also know a lot of people (like my parents!) who were initially opposed to Harry Potter but realized it was harmless once they gave it a chance. Some of them have become huge HP fans which is funny when I remember how strongly they used to preach against it.

20 hours ago, Hashtag Blessed said:

Huh, look at that. Suddenly I'm a hardcore StormPilot shipper. FINN AND POE ARE CANON FOREVER. 

Though, I enjoyed this first comment:

5aec9f7077878_ScreenShot2018-05-04at1_58_41PM.thumb.png.f6f1d4d584b0be795f69e2551444bcf6.png

Derick is such a shitty communicator. His non-answers are so stupid. Just answer the fucking question! How hard is it to say, "Yes, we've watched it together," or even, "yes but she's not a big fan of sci-fi?" This answer just makes me think that no, they haven't watched it together at all, but Derick is not going to let that stop him from using Star Wars' ubiquitous appeal to try and score points on social media. You're still not cool, Derick. 

And like, don't fucking pretend that she didn't grow up never watching anything like Star Wars. We all know about her family's extreme restrictions on media. It isn't unreasonable at all to wonder if she's still restricted with you now in charge of her life. And don't fucking pretend like you aren't in charge of her life! You cannot talk about transferring authority from father to husband and then act affronted when people wonder if you treat her like a child. YOU CANNOT HAVE IT BOTH WAYS. 

I wonder if maybe this might be a contributing source of the Dillards' seeming discontent. Maybe DD doesn't want to be telling a 26 YO woman what to wear, watch, eat and do to fill her time? Maybe he's pissed that he was basically handed another child to raise? I can see that. The courtship model is a scam.

It always circles back to JB and M. 

Too bad Dillard can't grow up, STHU, get a job and move his family away from the dysfunction.

Parting with TLC was a good thing, no matter the  method.  Now he just needs to become publicly mute, like Ben did.

16 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I cant group dWRECK and Kanye together. As much of an asshole and famewhore Yeezy is, dWRECK could NEVER write like him.

I couldn't agree with this more. I don't condone Kanye's assholeish behavior AT ALL, but I do still feel like he's been more of a punching bag than necessary. The shit he's spewing isn't as bad as what Derrick spews, and his positive impact has been much greater (if only artistically).

I've also been enjoying the dialogue going on between Kanye and John Legend. It's worth a Google- JL is just great. I don't think Derrick is capable of handling criticism at all.

ETA: well, except the slavery stuff. I don't think I'm as entitled to speak on it as Kanye West or any African-American is, but I still found that disturbing/disappointing. Plus, I doubt Derrick's interpretation of slavery is much better.

3 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

Because they don't call it witchcraft! That is seriously the main difference. I've had many conversations about Harry Potter magic vs. magic in other series. A lot of fundies are okay with some kind of nebulous, unexplained magic but oppose Harry Potter because the characters are portrayed as actively practicing witchcraft. They would have been just find with Harry Potter if Rowling had called the magic system something other than witchcraft.

I also know a lot of people (like my parents!) who were initially opposed to Harry Potter but realized it was harmless once they gave it a chance. Some of them have become huge HP fans which is funny when I remember how strongly they used to preach against it.

I have seriously wondered about this & can't bring myself to understand because I know a lot of fundies who are okay with any & every Disney classic, but HP is a no-go. Snow White, The Little Mermaid, even Frozen, etc. is fine, but not Harry Potter? Ok. 

1 hour ago, NakedKnees said:

I couldn't agree with this more. I don't condone Kanye's assholeish behavior AT ALL, but I do still feel like he's been more of a punching bag than necessary. The shit he's spewing isn't as bad as what Derrick spews, and his positive impact has been much greater (if only artistically).

I've also been enjoying the dialogue going on between Kanye and John Legend. It's worth a Google- JL is just great. I don't think Derrick is capable of handling criticism at all.

ETA: well, except the slavery stuff. I don't think I'm as entitled to speak on it as Kanye West or any African-American is, but I still found that disturbing/disappointing. Plus, I doubt Derrick's interpretation of slavery is much better.

I'm sorry, but the slavery thing is just as bad (and I personally think  worse though YMMV) than what Derick's said, and it can't just be excused. Thinking slavery was a "choice" is still used to this day as an excuse to blame African Americans for their own suffering. I can't count how many times I've heard white people say "you know my ancestors were persecuted when they first came to America, but they worked hard so wh can't black people?" which ignores the history of violent terrorism used to oppress both slaves and free blacks in the  Jim Crow era. African Americans were literally burned alive and tortured to death to send a message. That didn't happen to my Irish ancestors, for example, even though they were discriminated against. I'd like to see what "choice" Kanye would make when up against painful death, beatings, a society profiting from his suffering at every level, and forced seperation from his loved ones. 

Sorry for the rant, but seriously, fuck Kanye. There's no excuse for that ass.

I feel like people also gloss over how gross it was for Kanye to make nude models of people without their permission for a music video. He put a nude Rihanna in between Trump and Chris Brown, and put a nude Taylor Swift next to himself. Taylor had every right to be pissed about that.

On 2018-05-04 at 5:11 PM, singsingsing said:

That's definitely what she's aiming for, but as usual with the Dillards it's so ham fisted and just plain weird. If she wanted it to gain traction with her followers and create some hype, why on earth post it on their YouTube channel? They have a grand total of 202 subscribers. Their videos (aside from the car seat hack which gained notoriety in the tabloids) are averaging 1-2k views.

They have far more followers on Instagram, and that seems to be where their fans hang out. Why not post this on Instagram instead? And how many people stopped watching before the coy 'baby' line at some point during the snooze-inducing minute and fifteen seconds where Israel and Sam eat a pickle? Sure, this'll get some attention now because we're talking about it here, but there are so many ways she could have dropped the hint that would have reached a lot more people a lot faster and probably created more of the hype she was hoping for.

By the way, Jill (Derick?), if you're not pregnant, you're treading a fine line. Pull this kind of thing too much and people are going to just start ignoring you. Then when it really is time to announce Baby Dilly #3, people will care even less than they would have in the first place.

I’m going to guess she wants rumors so that she can do a cute ”I’m not pregnant”-post like Jessa did. She must see that Jessa is doing so much better then her in social media and be baffeled by it. 

2 hours ago, NakedKnees said:

I'm sure Derick's interpretation of slavery is disgusting, but so is Kanye's. Almost even more so because he was such a strong voice on his past albums. 

I think the big difference for me is that I don't think Kanye believes what he's saying. I think he does it for attention. dWRECK believes all the disgusting things hw says. But in terms of stringing a sentence together and actually speaking eloquently on topics, Kanye is far above him. Derick can only dream of writing a blog post as coherent as one of Kanye's songs.

I suspect Derick is being deliberately vague just to string his wronged TV reality star spiel along and get extra views for his disgusting tweets.  Doubt many, if any, are jumping to give him money or pester TLC to give him money or view him as much of a martyr or prophet, regardless of the quantity/quality/clarity of his writing, so I think it comes down to attention seeking for him too.

3 hours ago, NakedKnees said:

This whole post is so confusing. So is Kanye just a punching bag or did he say disturbing things that he deserves to be called out on?

It seems like you said something that was in regards to what Kanye said about slavery but then backtracked and said “well no not that, but also I’m not black so I can’t speak as much to the disgustingness of what Kanye said.” I also don’t think it takes a certain skin color to be “entitled” to call him out. 

Ok so obviously Kanye is cancelled (he's kinda been cancelled for me for a while though) but I really don't like all the claims people make about him being mentally ill. Not that it isn't a possibility, he does exhibit concerning behaviour, but he's not crazy to say what he said. He's disconnected. And his "free-thinking" is saying the first thing that comes to his brain and not having research or other inputs to back it up.

That being said, it makes me weirdly uncomfortable when I see white people ripping Kanye to shreds over his slavery tweet (I've mainly seen it on twitter). Not that they're wrong, and not that they can't express distaste over his obviously distasteful comments. But, it's weird when white people rip into black people on racial matters when most of the time they avoid the topic and don't acknowledge racism in other forms. I can't really describe the feeling but it's like a weird cognitive dissonance. 

Anyways, I hope Kanye's having fun with his wife and her culturally-appropriative family in Calabasas. 

Oh, and fuck D-wreck because he's just awful. 

I do see more differences than similarities between the two of Kanye and Derick. So I don't think they're very comparable.

Kanye is literally mentally ill though, isn't he? I mean, I haven't been following super closely but he did have a recent psychiatric hospitalization.

32 minutes ago, Jinder Roles said:

32 minutes ago, Jinder Roles said:

Ok so obviously Kanye is cancelled (he's kinda been cancelled for me for a while though) but I really don't like all the claims people make about him being mentally ill. Not that it isn't a possibility, he does exhibit concerning behaviour, but he's not crazy to say what he said. He's disconnected. And his "free-thinking" is saying the first thing that comes to his brain and not having research or other inputs to back it up.

That being said, it makes me weirdly uncomfortable when I see white people ripping Kanye to shreds over his slavery tweet (I've mainly seen it on twitter). Not that they're wrong, and not that they can't express distaste over his obviously distasteful comments. But, it's weird when white people rip into black people on racial matters when most of the time they avoid the topic and don't acknowledge racism in other forms. I can't really describe the feeling but it's like a weird cognitive dissonance. 

Anyways, I hope Kanye's having fun with his wife and her culturally-appropriative family in Calabasas. 

Oh, and fuck D-wreck because he's just awful. 

I do see more differences than similarities between the two of Kanye and Derick. So I don't think they're very comparable.

I can only speak for myself, but the history buff in me can't let the slavery comment go because it's so blatantly wrong. I've seen too many  people twist and ignore history to justify or excuse horrible things.

When people of different races talk about their experience in America, white people should listen. But Kanye isn't talking about his experience. He's trying to make himself sound better--like oh, I would never let anyone make me a slave! It's because they were weak.

Maybe white people should speak up more. I know there are going to be white people who use Kanye's comments as a justification. Like, "Kanye said it so it's ok for me to say it too." So yeah, I'm going to tell those people that it's not ok just because Kanye said it first.

I guess slavery was a choice, just like concentration camps. Blame the victim. Rape probably fits in there too. *gnashes teeth*. 

2 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

Kanye is literally mentally ill though, isn't he? I mean, I haven't been following super closely but he did have a recent psychiatric hospitalization.

I read somewhere that he had been put on Lexapro recently.

I've always thought his mother’s passing sparked something unwell.

Keep in mind I’m not a professional. I’ve just been around mental illness my whole life, and have taken several classes. 

IMO they’re both assholes who happened to lose parents. I think that’s where their similarities end. 

tbh Kanye and Derick aren't even comparable because, well, they're completely different people. 

and blaming what Kanye is saying on mental illness is Not Good because mental illness does not cause you to say "slavery was a choice, don't @ me i'm a free thinker". might be an explanation for why you think saying that out loud is an a-okay idea, but that's not an excuse. internalized racism and white supremacy is caused by racism and white supremacy, not mental illness. It's possible for neurotypical people to be awful. Also, this might all be a publicity stunt. Kanye is mentally ill afaik (bipolar? i think?) and hasn't been the same since his mother died, but yeah, no excuse.

I think Kanye knows exactly what he's doing. Doesn't he have a new album coming out?

Yes. I think Kanye has had some mental problems (he told TMZ he was "drugged the fuck out" on opiods when he first visited Trump). And yes, I do believe his mother's death was a traumatic experience but that honestly isn't why he said what he said. 

He's stuck in the sunken place...in Calabasas. 

@Alicja Exactly, I know people who have mental issues who would never say shit that stupid and strange. 

I want Jesus Walks and College Dropout Kanye back. 

The slavery comments are a horrible mangled attempt to summarize what he raps on his album New Slaves, which was about how conspicuous consumption, private prisons, and racism work together as a new form of "slavery". Buying into conspicuous consumption and capitalism as "mental slavery"- knowing it's problematic, tied to hip-op  stereotypes, but doing it anyway.

So where did that Kanye go?

If you watch Kanye's longer interview with Charlemagne tha god, you get a better sense of where his head is at. He seems like he's taken real issues (like racism pigeonholing black artists into only hip-hop and not as creative designers, only endorsment licensees in fashion) and muddled them with severe narcissism (let 'Ye be 'Ye). His personal self expression seems to come above any and all other considerations. Hence he loves Trump, who says whatever he wants, and couldn't care less about Trump's policies. It's sad especially because he has a platform and the creative potential to play an important role in the conversation. It used to be about black enterprise being a vehicle for freedom for him but now it's just about saying whatever comes into his mind. Mental illness, ego, wealth, and self-righteousness are a toxic cocktail.

23 hours ago, justpassingby said:

If Derick continues with his spiral I foresee him being invited to do an interview to share his side and him digging the hole even deeper. It will be glorious. 

He literally said that discrimination is a good thing and constantly spouts his hatred of Catholics and the LGBTQ community. How is this open minded? Idiot.

Spoiler

D4423E5C-5310-4096-9B36-7E1B628C2B1B.png.e7b5390a8e7179c7d1e7886854707a8b.png

4178AB4F-9122-4672-831D-3FB9CC695AEC.gif.99179b72a0f1dd61ede017ef91d0b5c4.gif

It blows my mind when people get at others for being open minded but not about hate like what Dwreck is doing but their just like "Well why can't I hate like why do liberals always want to limit my hate?!". 

I hope that made sense, finals are taking my mind currently.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived