IGNORED

Dillards 57: Run, D’Wreck, Run!

Jellybean

On a serious note, I had a friend tell me that a large segment of conservatives are becoming social democrats because it now taboo to openly admit to traditional views. 

This is how Trump was elected. In public, people were saying Trump was an evil stain on society but behind closed curtains they pushed buttons to put him (and every thing he represents) into one of the most powerful positions in the world.

I can see Derick being that person who is sick of people in his social circle including church, complain about "family values" being destroyed while openly staying silent. I can see him thinking he is a champion of the cause by speaking up when every one else is afraid to do so. He thinks he not afraid to take the backlash for his beliefs. I don't think he realizes how destructive he's becoming in his perspectives.

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, TatiFish9 said:

I swear to goodness, I  was going to post this yesterday, but decided it was in poor taste because Kanye is truly ill. The word is still out on Derick.

So yes to this! Absolutely, yes! 

But, would that make Derick...a free thinker or Kanye a bigot? How does this all work? lol

Anyhow, I wish he would free think himself into a tell-all book. I know it would never happen, but someone has to provide, we the wondering public, with answers.

No disrespect to Kanye and/or Derick’s mental illness, I promise! 

5 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

Dear god we don't need another baby Dilly this fast. 

Or at all, AFAIC.  If she gets pregnant again I'm going to be wondering for however many months, which of course will feel like twice as many, whether the poor child will manage to survive delivery.

Ok back to Star Wars. I cannot understand how fundies who think Harry Potter is evil cuz of witchcraft are all about Star Wars which is basically about space wizards.

As far as why people like the Duggars, I think the collective human psyche of industrialized consumers long for a simpler time. The Duggars & co. attempt to recreate a false sense of security with old-fashioned gender roles, respect for parents, tidy households, recipes for the mind, body and soul, societal purity and the emphasis on the extended family model. If evangelicals / the evangelical minded alone were supporting the Duggars, they would be *has beens* and  *never heard ofs* right about now. They have been propelled into some level of fame because people hate what they long for (but can not have for whatever reason). *Generalization*

All kinds of folks, even those who are sworn enemies of the family, soak up Duggar social media, read their books, chat about them day/night and watch their shows. Some go to their conferences. :my_huh: There is definitely  cognitive dissonance going on with this family and the public. I will be the first to admit I am double minded about the Duggars at times. I have periods where I refuse to (indirectly) support them, but somehow I find myself back at it.

I think Der and Ye are similar in this way lately: they put something (usually a tweet) out into the world thinking it is utterly profound when it is not, and tons of people tell them so and why. But they continue to do the same thing thinking their genius is just being misunderstood. While Kenya is an accomplished artist and much of his work is deservedly beloved, I don't think he is a genius and I think neither Derick or Kenya are the profound thinkers that they think they are.  But I don't know if there is any showing them that. And I can't help thinking the president can be lumped there too, especially regarding twitter. 

We've got the Dunning-Kruger Effect to explain people who mistakenly believe their own cognitive ability to be much greater than it actually is. Maybe we need the Derick-Kanye Effect to explain people who support demented politicians or ideologies for what they mistakenly believe to be profound reasons.

26 minutes ago, TatiFish9 said:

All kinds of folks, even those who are sworn enemies of the family, soak up Duggar social media, read their books, chat about them day/night and watch their shows. Some go to their conferences. :my_huh: There is definitely  cognitive dissonance going on with this family and the public. I will be the first to admit I am double minded about the Duggars at times. I have periods where I refuse to (indirectly) support them, but somehow I find myself back at it.

People still pay attention to them because, like them or not, they are a very interesting family.  There's also the eventual train wreck aspect that keeps people tuned in.

6 hours ago, DillyDally said:

Can we please have this as the reaction to everything they say/post/do? :my_biggrin: 

(I really need to lock myself in for a couple of days and re-watch this show!)

It’s one of my favorites, but I was really late to the game. In fact, part of what drew me in was FJ thread drift on the dinner party episode. If you haven’t already, you should check out “The Officeisms” Facebook page.

1 hour ago, TatiFish9 said:

I swear to goodness, I  was going to post this yesterday, but decided it was in poor taste because Kanye is truly ill. The word is still out on Derick.

So yes to this! Absolutely, yes! 

But, would that make Derick...a free thinker or Kanye a bigot? How does this all work? lol

Anyhow, I wish he would free think himself into a tell-all book. I know it would never happen, but someone has to provide, we the wondering public, with answers.

Honestly? I don’t think Kanye is sick, at least not right now. I honestly think he’s just looking to promote his latest album, while suffering from a massive case of “I’m an asshole,” and, “I claimed to be a genius and that means I can say whatever I want.” 

As for bigot or freethinker - Derick is a bigot, Kanye is a dumbass, and they’re both spectacular assholes.

@artdecades I think this is another one of those instances where Derick is doing his own thing. He was most likely allowed to enjoy Star Wars as a child, but failed to remember his wife was not. 

@CaricatureQualities Agreed. Isn't there a quote that says something like, if you have to say you're a genius, you're not. I think Kanye has been eccentric from the start. Nothing he does shocks me anymore. I also think the thing they have in common is reality tv. Kanye is not a fan of cameras, so he says but his family benefits from those reality $$$. There is a psychology to these people having to always be "on". I am telling ya, reality tv comes for everyone eventually. It starts out as a benign attempt to platform a theme but eventually if allowed to grow, these people begin to suffer from a lack of privacy.

@Snarkasarus Rex I am not sure I agree that they're interesting perse, but I see what you mean. Sometimes people go to the circus just to see if the animals are real.

42 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

the Derick-Kanye Effect

I love this!  It's too bad Trump has already got that Nobel locked in.  :lol:

2 hours ago, TatiFish9 said:

As far as why people like the Duggars, I think the collective human psyche of industrialized consumers long for a simpler time. The Duggars & co. attempt to recreate a false sense of security with old-fashioned gender roles, respect for parents, tidy households, recipes for the mind, body and soul, societal purity and the emphasis on the extended family model. If evangelicals / the evangelical minded alone were supporting the Duggars, they would be *has beens* and  *never heard ofs* right about now. They have been propelled into some level of fame because people hate what they long for (but can not have for whatever reason). *Generalization*

Like a train wreck. You can't not look!

1 hour ago, Alice in Fundieland said:

It’s one of my favorites, but I was really late to the game. In fact, part of what drew me in was FJ thread drift on the dinner party episode. If you haven’t already, you should check out “The Officeisms” Facebook page.

I'm on "The Office memes" on FB. Same difference I'm sure!!! Cracks me up!!!

1 hour ago, VelociRapture said:

Honestly? I don’t think Kanye is sick, at least not right now. I honestly think he’s just looking to promote his latest album, while suffering from a massive case of “I’m an asshole,” and, “I claimed to be a genius and that means I can say whatever I want.” 

As for bigot or freethinker - Derick is a bigot, Kanye is a dumbass, and they’re both spectacular assholes.

I believe Kanye was in some sort of rehab/inpatient for a few months after he cancelled tour. He also alluded to drug usage in the past. Based on his spazzy rants, his incoherent string of thoughts and delusional behavior, I think he's definitely diagnosis range.

The rest, I agree. So true. I don't pretend to know these people at all, but the spotlight has not been good to either.

8 minutes ago, mollysmom said:

I'm on "The Office memes" on FB. Same difference I'm sure!!! Cracks me up!!!

I’ll have to check out that page. For the month of May, “The Office-isms” is doing a bracket similar to March madness. Each day there are several opportunities to vote in order to determine the best cold open of the series. Some are tough to choose between. For example, Michael going up and down the fake stairs is up against Michael in a straight jacket. I had a hard time deciding which one to vote for but hopefully my choice will make it through to the next round. Either way, it’s a fun distraction.

I cant group dWRECK and Kanye together. As much of an asshole and famewhore Yeezy is, dWRECK could NEVER write like him.

6 hours ago, justodd said:

The Good Place is (by FAR) the best, smartest, funniest show that not enough people are watching. It’s so rare to find a program that can have me laughing so hard that my eyes water one second, only to leave me deeply contemplative the next. 

Yes! Especially on network TV. It's such an original blend of silly and profound. 

I'm surprised Derick's talking about Star Wars. Not even because of the female leadership roles (though watching Leia might give little girls ideas) but because the Jedi/force are influenced by Eastern religions and philosophies. Usually they treat anything Buddhist/Taoist like it comes from the devil instead of a belief system that's just as valid as their own. 

@BernRul, I am watching Star Wars: The Force Awakens as I read you comment.  My granddaughter who just tuned  9 loves Rey!  She's  Leia for the new generation.

5 hours ago, artdecades said:

Ok back to Star Wars. I cannot understand how fundies who think Harry Potter is evil cuz of witchcraft are all about Star Wars which is basically about space wizards.

Ebil non-Christian Space wizards. At least Harry Potter is Christian! (Since it’s been established Jedism is a religion, not just super cool people with super powers)

5 hours ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

People still pay attention to them because, like them or not, they are a very interesting family.  There's also the eventual train wreck aspect that keeps people tuned in.

Interesting? I don't think so, babies, hair, weddings, wash, rinse repeat. Hateful? Yes. And it is already a train wreck.

If Derick continues with his spiral I foresee him being invited to do an interview to share his side and him digging the hole even deeper. It will be glorious. 

Well, Dirty Jeebus, let me know when you start promoting this shit.

"Conviction doesn’t equal lack of open mindedness. We need to love all people"

38 minutes ago, justpassingby said:

If Derick continues with his spiral I foresee him being invited to do an interview to share his side and him digging the hole even deeper. It will be glorious. 

Oh, pleeeeease, let it happen!

Spoiler

giphy.gif 

7 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

I wouldn't rule out that Kanye is doing some schtick for his album right now, but I do think in 2016 when he was treated for 'exhaustion' he likely had an emotional/mental/nervous breakdown. The press let that one leak thru ... in retrospect I think it's fairly clear that PR/hollywood (and even regular people) 'code' for mental illness is often 'exhaustion' or 'burnout'. 

I do also think Derick is depressed but I don't think the Twitter rants are necessarily evidence of that. I do I wonder if he hadn't married into the Duggars and kept his Walmart job, and some general structure and stability to his life, he wouldn't have been better off. I don't think he is very good at the missionary/grifter/pastor thing and the cracks have been showing for awhile.

First time poster...

I do wonder if the network flatly refused to film or air Sam’s birth?  I would imagine the legalities in the US if something did go wrong while filming or if the family were to film themselves - pushing the labour longer for the ratings “home birth at all costs mentality”. 

I’m in New Zealand where home births aren’t overly common. (Apart from mine, I only know a handful of ladies who have had home births). I had one, for my third child after two very quick uncomplicated hospital births with no complications. We decided to “try” it, having researched and fully accepting to go to the hospital before we got to an emergency situation. Living two minutes from the hospital. My midwife who I had for my other two pregnancies and births was brilliant.

Standards here are high. You have to have two midwives present, there is no way a midwife would agree to be present if it was a VBAC, or if the lady had a history complicated deliveries or large babies. Everything was very straight forward for us - put the kids to bed and had baby at 4am and our two toddlers (2 & 3yrs old), woke in the morning to their baby sister! 

I just cant understand the mind frame of even attempting a home birth after a 70+ hour labour, breech baby and csection of the giant!!! If she wasn’t mentally all there her medical team (midwife!!) and/or family should have stepped up and been vocal about how idiotic she was being! If my sister attempted something as dumb as that you better believe id be the first to tell her!! 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived