IGNORED

Dillards 57: Run, D’Wreck, Run!

Jellybean

1 minute ago, libgirl2 said:

Where did that come from? I have heard the guys rumor going around on here and a couple other sites. If it were true, I think she would have grounds for divorce in a covenant marriage. 

I don't remember where I read it, it was some time ago.  I'm pretty sure they got their info from a blind gossip site however.

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Eater of Worlds said:

I don't remember where I read it, it was some time ago.  I'm pretty sure they got their info from a blind gossip site however.

The guy thing wouldn't surprise me.... the guy just seems to protest too much. 

On 5/7/2018 at 4:03 PM, Georgiana said:

I'm sure Derick DOES have "gay friends" aka openly gay acquaintances from college who are "friends" with him on social media from college and haven't de-friended him either because he's too unimportant to show on their timelines OR because they want to keep tabs on him.  But like real friends that interact with him all the time?  Nope.  

If you ever go to China YOU NEED TO GO TO KFC.  I am not kidding. KFC in China is different, and somehow it is like the most Godly Chicken you have ever put in your mouth.  But be sure to ask for potatoes (don't worry, they provide picture menus for pointing at most locations), because the default side-dish with your meal is corn.  

Also, witchcraft IS real, and there are some practicing witches here on FJ!  It doesn't look at all like Harry Potter, but there are people who openly practice and pass down a Craft.  It's absolutely just as terrifying to fundies as Harry Potter because many witches call upon the god(s) using their own names for them and often recognize more than one deity (it's customary to recognize both a supreme Male and Female power, though there's nothing to say you cannot believe them to be two aspects of one overarching whole).  Anyways, it's all very pagan and often non-Western, which are the two scariest things for fundies, and since anything scary is Satan, it's probably all Satanic too.  

Not that it matters to me.  If Derick had a cold, I wouldn't give him a healing tea anyways.  

I concur that China's fast food restaurants are delicious. They are often packed, too. A huge part of fundies problem with witchcraft is due to raging misogyny. From the little I know about the craft, it is often a female-centric/ Goddess-centric path. Historically, women (especially herbal healers) were an easy target for accusations of witchcraft. The accusation of witchcraft also gave legitimacy to persecution of outcgroups, like Jews. The perceived horrors of witchcraft gave fundies "justification" for some nasty behaviour indeed. 

Those rumours about Derick have been flying around for ages. As for Jill leaving him, while that would be fantastic, I think there's probably like a 2% chance of it ever actually happening. She really seems to seek the affection and approval of those around her, the only world she knows is this one, and she'd be committing a grievous sin and would be ostracized from her community if she left Derick. I think the only way she would ever leave him would be if he did something truly, outrageously awful - and even then it's not a sure thing.

On 5/8/2018 at 12:40 PM, HarleyQuinn said:

I bet if Derick doesn't get whatever he's looking for from this Cross Church program they head off to another foreign country to harass locals again. But who knows what he's actually looking for. 

His early 20s when he had independence but zero actual responsibilities? 

Glory days, they'll pass you by, glory days, in the wink of a young girl's eye, glory days, glory daaaaaaayyyyyyyssssss *epic synth riff*

3 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Glory days, they'll pass you by, glory days, in the wink of a young girl's eye, glory days, glory daaaaaaayyyyyyyssssss *epic synth riff*

And you know the funny thing is, if that's what you want: you can have it!  You just got to make the choices that go along with it.  ALL of my 20s were somewhat carefree because, and this is going to blow your mind here so I hope y'all are sitting down, I chose not to get married and pop out two kids ASAP!  I know, right?  L I F E H A C K  

The only thing that stopped Derick from continuing his Nepal tour guide lifestyle was Derick.  I've said it before, but I think a lot of the reason he rushed into coming back to America and settling down was because Cathy was so sick and for a time, they thought she might not make it.  When she made such a great recovery, I think Derick found himself saddled with a life he didn't want anymore and tried to go back to his old ways in South America.  Unfortunately, that proved impossible due to Jill.  Now we have whatever the fuck this Cross Church thing is, which won't work either.

Derick doesn't want it to be like it is, but it do.  You don't always get do overs.  There's not always backsies.  Derick gave up his carefree days before he was ready, but there's nothing to do about it now.  The ship has sailed, the birds have flown, and the only thing to do is to grow up and find happiness on the path that you are on.

35 minutes ago, Eater of Worlds said:

I read the wildest post about Jill recently.  I don't have a link to it, apparently the poster thinks that Jill is going to be bailing on Derrick soon.  Her nose piercing and tight jeans are signs of her growing independence in the marriage.  Derrick supposedly hooks up with guys and got into some trouble in Costa Rica and Jill plans to leave because of the affairs and not the trouble he got into where he did an immoral thing.  I'm sure none of this is real and a lot of it is wishful thinking, but it would be great if she left him.

Sounds pretty far fetched to me.  If you find a link please share it with  us.  But for now, I'm treating this as "unlikely to be true" without some sort of proof to back this up.

8 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

And you know the funny thing is, if that's what you want: you can have it!  You just got to make the choices that go along with it.  ALL of my 20s were somewhat carefree because, and this is going to blow your mind here so I hope y'all are sitting down, I chose not to get married and pop out two kids ASAP!  I know, right?  L I F E H A C K  

The only thing that stopped Derick from continuing his Nepal tour guide lifestyle was Derick.  I've said it before, but I think a lot of the reason he rushed into coming back to America and settling down was because Cathy was so sick and for a time, they thought she might not make it.  When she made such a great recovery, I think Derick found himself saddled with a life he didn't want anymore and tried to go back to his old ways in South America.  Unfortunately, that proved impossible due to Jill.  Now we have whatever the fuck this Cross Church thing is, which won't work either.

Derick doesn't want it to be like it is, but it do.  You don't always get do overs.  There's not always backsies.  Derick gave up his carefree days before he was ready, but there's nothing to do about it now.  The ship has sailed, the birds have flown, and the only thing to do is to grow up and find happiness on the path that you are on.

Like many people in these situations, he might have wanted his mother to live to see him getting married to a nice girl and settling down. 

3 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Like many people in these situations, he might have wanted his mother to live to see him getting married to a nice girl and settling down. 

He should have taken the Barney rout and faked it . . .

18 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I wonder if Derick was having a great time wandering around Nepal when whatever financial resources he had started getting tight.  Faced with the question of how to continue this nomadic existence, he came up with a great idea:  ingratiate himself with JB Duggar, present as a potential awesome mate for a Duggar daughter, marry a Duggar daughter, be on the tv show, rake in big bucks, and then sell TLC on filming he and his wife as they mission-cation around the world!  What could go wrong?  

I don't know if this is true, but I have read comments here that Derick seems somewhat dismissive of Jill, talks down to her at times.  We have seen his posts where he describes his own toddler as manipulative (maybe he's projecting?).  As time goes on, Derick just seems more and more off as a person.  I don't think he's very bright, he's not into working for a living, and he's mean-spirited.

17 minutes ago, nickelodeon said:

@Eater of Worlds Sounds like a Frankenrumor cobbled out of pieces of Crazy Days and Nights fanfiction "blind items" and FJer speculation.

Jill won't leave, I don't think he's gay (or if he is, he's so far in the closet he's currently selling out Aslan to the White Witch for some bomb-ass Turkish Delight), but I could see him doing something idiotic in Central America (financial mismanagement, using racial slurs in earshot of locals, maybe having an affair with a local woman) or doing something idiotic with Cross Church (affair with college-aged woman, financial mismanagement, saying something so dumb/abhorrent even they can't defend him).

If anything, I could see Derick bailing, not Jill. 

33 minutes ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

I concur that China's fast food restaurants are delicious. They are often packed, too. A huge part of fundies problem with witchcraft is due to raging misogyny. From the little I know about the craft, it is often a female-centric/ Goddess-centric path. Historically, women (especially herbal healers) were an easy target for accusations of witchcraft. The accusation of witchcraft also gave legitimacy to persecution of outcgroups, like Jews. The perceived horrors of witchcraft gave fundies "justification" for some nasty behaviour indeed. 

And if you are a Medicine woman like me you know instinctively to keep your mouth shut.

10 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Jill won't leave, I don't think he's gay (or if he is, he's so far in the closet he's currently selling out Aslan to the White Witch for some bomb-ass Turkish Delight), but I could see him doing something idiotic in Central America (financial mismanagement, using racial slurs in earshot of locals, maybe having an affair with a local woman) or doing something idiotic with Cross Church (affair with college-aged woman, financial mismanagement, saying something so dumb/abhorrent even they can't defend him).

If anything, I could see Derick bailing, not Jill. 

I love you for many reasons, this is just the newest one. I'm gonna try to make this phrase a thing in my everyday life.

I could see Derick leaving Jill before Jill would leave Derick. I don’t think either is likely though. Hell, their hatred probably bonds them closer. 

I completely agree with everyone saying Derick would be the one to leave Jill. In fact, I don't think it's even that unlikely. I still think it's unlikely, just not that unlikely. Like in my mind there's, I don't know, maybe a 30% chance of him leaving her. As I'm writing this, it sounds cruel to me... but Derick seems so easily frustrated, so miserable, so arrogant, and so much like the kind of guy who would decide his marriage wasn't working for him and it was time to end it and find a way to blame it all on his wife and make himself out to be the victim that I just can't shake the feeling that it could happen.

The whole discussion of Narnia opens another can of worms with fundies and the use of magic as a literary device. I know many fundies who gave the Chronicles of Narnia a pass on magic because of the Christian imagery of Aslan's sacrifice. Then I meet the occasional fundie who gets their knickers twisted about the Chronicles because "there is no such thing as Christian magic and talking animals are demonic." I am guessing any Duggars lurking here are scratching their heads as to the Narnia references. I would guess that Jeremy has probably read the Chronicles. 

Funny, with this topic of Homosexuality I come across this today..... I work at a library and received a request from another library for one of our books. The title is "UnClobber: Rethinking Our Misuse of the Bible on Homosexuality". I think I might just read it myself. 

1 minute ago, singsingsing said:

I completely agree with everyone saying Derick would be the one to leave Jill. In fact, I don't think it's even that unlikely. I still think it's unlikely, just not that unlikely. Like in my mind there's, I don't know, maybe a 30% chance of him leaving her. As I'm writing this, it sounds cruel to me... but Derick seems so easily frustrated, so miserable, so arrogant, and so much like the kind of guy who would decide his marriage wasn't working for him and it was time to end it and find a way to blame it all on his wife and make himself out to be the victim that I just can't shake the feeling that it could happen.

I could see him just taking off one day and leaving her with the kids. 

2 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I could see him just taking off one day and leaving her with the kids

And he would spin it to be totally her fault. You know how Josh blamed Satan for his problems? I honestly think Derick would just straight up blame Jill. Or Jim Bob. Or TLC. Or his kids. Or whoever most recently and severely offended him. I know I'm waaaaay over into speculation territory, but I'm basing this on everything we've seen of his personality and the way he interacts with other people. Derick is never wrong. Everyone else is wrong. And he's going to make sure they know it.

Also, I think they are both VERY arrogant with a deeply entrenched superiority complex.  Divorce doesn't jive with their image of themselves as Super-Perfect Christians.  They may eventually admit their marriage is not great (to themselves), they may eventually start living a life that is essentially a separation under the same roof, they may eventually choose to find a way to live more separately than together, but I think actually divorcing would be hard for either of them because only "certain kinds" of people get divorced and they aren't THOSE sort of people.  

There are a lot of religious people who seem to think the real shame is signing divorce paperwork.  It's fine to essentially live separate lives, it might even be fine for the man to quietly take a mistress, and heck, maybe he goes off gallivanting around the world doing God knows what; that's fine.  But if you DARE to sign that divorce paperwork, that's the real shame.

It's the patriarchy in action: the man is essentially freed from the marriage without shame, but the woman must either be trapped in a sham marriage or suffer the shame of filing for divorce.  THIS, by the way, is one of the reasons WHY women are more likely to file for divorce than men in a patriarchal society...just in case you ever encounter any Red Pill folks who need education on this statistic (that they love to throw around).  

1 minute ago, Georgiana said:

Also, I think they are both VERY arrogant with a deeply entrenched superiority complex.  Divorce doesn't jive with their image of themselves as Super-Perfect Christians.  They may eventually admit their marriage is not great (to themselves), they may eventually start living a life that is essentially a separation under the same roof, they may eventually choose to find a way to live more separately than together, but I think actually divorcing would be hard for either of them because only "certain kinds" of people get divorced and they aren't THOSE sort of people.  

There are a lot of religious people who seem to think the real shame is signing divorce paperwork.  It's fine to essentially live separate lives, it might even be fine for the man to quietly take a mistress, and heck, maybe he goes off gallivanting around the world doing God knows what; that's fine.  But if you DARE to sign that divorce paperwork, that's the real shame.

It's the patriarchy in action: the man is essentially freed from the marriage without shame, but the woman must either be trapped in a sham marriage or suffer the shame of filing for divorce.  THIS, by the way, is one of the reasons WHY women are more likely to file for divorce than men in a patriarchal society...just in case you ever encounter any Red Pill folks who need education on this statistic (that they love to throw around).  

I agree. Like I said, I can see him leaving her but not divorcing her. 

Can I just say that I miss McDonalds from India? So good. Funny thing is there were no beef options.  Poland also had great McDonald’s. I had there breakfast sandwich which was cheese and bacon. That’s exactly what I want to eat for brekkie after a night of pub. 

I absolutely would see Derrick deciding to live separate lives under the same roof. It's a sure fire way to prevent more blessings. I don't believe Derrick wanted children or rather the responsibility as quickly as he had them. In no way, do I think he wants a dozen. However, he is stuck with a wife who I believe very much wants a dozen plus. The "solution" would as simple as permanently occupying separate bedrooms. 

I could actually see him divorcing her. Again, I don't think it's likely, just possible. It's amazing what people can justify to themselves, especially people like Derick. If he ever gets to the point where he really, really wants to get divorced, I think he'll just do it and change his religious/political stances to suit his new reality. He'll find some slightly different Christian ideology that justifies his divorce and then probably try to pretend that he never changed his beliefs at all, we're all just idiots and working for Satan and #makingalotofassumptions. He'll go all Henry VIII and convince himself that his marriage was actually WRONG for some reason, that God doesn't want it to continue, and/or that he was tricked into it.

(Just adding another disclaimer here that this is, of course, completely speculation and that I'm not suggesting that any of this will ever happen.)

3 minutes ago, bekkah said:

Can I just say that I miss McDonalds from India? So good. Funny thing is there were no beef options.  Poland also had great McDonald’s. I had there breakfast sandwich which was cheese and bacon. That’s exactly what I want to eat for brekkie after a night of pub. 

No beef options does make sense in a predominatley Hindu country. 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived