IGNORED

Dillards 57: Run, D’Wreck, Run!

Jellybean

kids and spicy food:

My grandmother fed my daughter sauerkraut when she was just over a month old. Somewhere I have the picture of my daughter smacking her lips at it. (she tasted it, couldn't chew/swallow it). I read somewhere that certain tastes can be passed on in amniotic fluid and breastmilk. Kids get exposed to all sorts of flavors then. #1 son eats all sorts of foods, the more ethnic the better. #2 son isn't quite as adventurous. Daughter is too. #1 (and only currently) grandson is a "spicier the better" kind of kid. He'd eat spoonfuls of medium salsa as a toddler (couldn't quite get that whole dip the chip thing going). 

Spicy foods will not hurt a kid. If they don't like it, you'll know it. If they like it, you'll know it. It doesn't hurt anything to offer them foods with flavor instead of the usual bland shit most folks in the US offer their kids. 

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

kids and spicy food:

My grandmother fed my daughter sauerkraut when she was just over a month old. Somewhere I have the picture of my daughter smacking her lips at it. (she tasted it, couldn't chew/swallow it). I read somewhere that certain tastes can be passed on in amniotic fluid and breastmilk. Kids get exposed to all sorts of flavors then. #1 son eats all sorts of foods, the more ethnic the better. #2 son isn't quite as adventurous. Daughter is too. #1 (and only currently) grandson is a "spicier the better" kind of kid. He'd eat spoonfuls of medium salsa as a toddler (couldn't quite get that whole dip the chip thing going). 

Spicy foods will not hurt a kid. If they don't like it, you'll know it. If they like it, you'll know it. It doesn't hurt anything to offer them foods with flavor instead of the usual bland shit most folks in the US offer their kids. 

Tastes can pass to the fetus during the third trimester. I was all excited that I was going to be 37 weeks pregnant with my daughter around Christmas because she’d get a “taste” of my German family’s Christmas cookies that way. My kid is a jerk though and was born too early for that. Lame. :pb_lol:

Samuel is super cute. However, all her videos should come with a warning if/when they feature Derick, even for just a second. Blech.

1 hour ago, feministxtian said:

QTF. My grandma used to be amazed to see me share my vegetarian burritos (with jalapenos and the spiciest salsa offered, plus onions and everything else) with my former toddler. But the kid loved it! I've pretty much tried to eat as many different foods as possible (vegetarian lifestyles will encourage one to seek different foods than the typical American fare quite quickly), and raised my kid with all my favorites. Weirdly, she doesn't like falafel, but she can find something to eat pretty much anywhere we go...with the possible exception of a steakhouse. However, since we haven't been to one, that hasn't been an issue. 

Jill usually annoys me, one way or the other, but sharing Indian food with cute little Samuel isn't annoying at all. In fact, it sounds like one of her better mothering moments -- can't watch the video, as I've heard DWreck shows up. He has a magical way of ruining everything. 

On 11/05/2018 at 1:58 AM, apandaaries said:

QTF. My grandma used to be amazed to see me share my vegetarian burritos (with jalapenos and the spiciest salsa offered, plus onions and everything else) with my former toddler. But the kid loved it! I've pretty much tried to eat as many different foods as possible (vegetarian lifestyles will encourage one to seek different foods than the typical American fare quite quickly), and raised my kid with all my favorites. Weirdly, she doesn't like falafel, but she can find something to eat pretty much anywhere we go...with the possible exception of a steakhouse. However, since we haven't been to one, that hasn't been an issue. 

I think anyone who spreads out from the usual "typically American" fare will find foods with flavor. My poor husband had to learn to eat food with flavor when we got together. I season/spice the hell out of almost everything I cook. Last night was a stir-fry where the meat had been marinated w/teriyaki, crushed red pepper, a little chili powder, adobo and sazon. The rice was cooked w/green beans and rice, splash of lime juice. Hubs ate that shit like there was no tomorrow! 

Now, don't get me wrong, we eat bland as shit stuff occasionally, but it's not that common. My kids grew up with mom cooking all sorts of weird shit. They all crave flavored shit in a huge way. 

The Indian food is probably much healthier than overly processed, extra sugary junk that many Americans feed their small children. 

I told my husband that fetuses pick up taste from their mothers and now he's determinded that I learn to eat spicy foods so our kids will develop the taste for it lol. The food from his culture is much spicier than I'm used to, but the sweets are also much sweeter. Some meals are a wonderful combination of savory, sweet, and spicy all in one. It made me realize how bland some American foods are in comparison. I'm definitely going to encourge my kids to try spicy foods when they're little. 

@VelociRapture Did she get her fill the next Christmas? 

She actually did! We thought she’d be too young for both types of cookies, but we broke off small pieces and she gobbled them up. She also had her first taste of the ridiculously good wings from a restaurant my family loves - she was a big fan of that too. I was pretty proud. :pb_lol:

2 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

She actually did! We thought she’d be too young for both types of cookies, but we broke off small pieces and she gobbled them up. She also had her first taste of the ridiculously good wings from a restaurant my family loves - she was a big fan of that too. I was pretty proud. :pb_lol:

She needs to taste the delightful taste of a good sauerbraten. Speaking of which...I haven't made that in like forever. 

19 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

Please tell me that you fed her lebkuchen. My Dad always made them and, the Christmas before he passed away, I had him teach me to make them. I still have his extra directions on my computer (and backed up as well.)

I think anyone who spreads out from the usual "typically American" fare will find foods with flavor. My poor husband had to learn to eat food with flavor when we got together. I season/spice the hell out of almost everything I cook. Last night was a stir-fry where the meat had been marinated w/teriyaki, crushed red pepper, a little chili powder, adobo and sazon. The rice was cooked w/green beans and rice, splash of lime juice. Hubs ate that shit like there was no tomorrow! 

Now, don't get me wrong, we eat bland as shit stuff occasionally, but it's not that common. My kids grew up with mom cooking all sorts of weird shit. They all crave flavored shit in a huge way. 

Just wanted to say that you inspired me to search out sazon on Amazon.  I've read about it (short stories from mainly Cuban but also other Caribbean writers), so I finally sought some out.  Super excited to try it when it arrives!

My love of adobo knows no bounds, and we grow our peppers here because we're crazy about them. Spice makes life so. much. better!

2 minutes ago, apandaaries said:

Just wanted to say that you inspired me to search out sazon on Amazon.  I've read about it (short stories from mainly Cuban but also other Caribbean writers), so I finally sought some out.  Super excited to try it when it arrives!

My love of adobo knows no bounds, and we grow our peppers here because we're crazy about them. Spice makes life so. much. better!

Sazon is a gift from God. I prefer the one made by Goya.

https://www.amazon.com/Goya-Sazonador-Complete-Seasoning-Ounce/dp/B004IM0EO8/ref=sr_1_123_s_it?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1526007347&sr=1-123&keywords=sazon+goya

18 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

Sazon is a gift from God. I prefer the one made by Goya.

I also read that Goya is the way to go. I can't wait to test it out on a little bit of everything. :56247956409be_32(13): <--That's supposed to be (and I hope it is) a drooly emoticon. 

7 minutes ago, apandaaries said:

I also read that Goya is the way to go. I can't wait to test it out on a little bit of everything. :56247956409be_32(13): <--That's supposed to be (and I hope it is) a drooly emoticon. 

If you want a real tongue-gasm, try this: frozen green beans, the straight cut ones...dump 'em in a bowl w/a pat of butter and a healthy dose of Sazon. Cover with plastic wrap. Microwave for 5-7 minutes...stir and enjoy!

I use Sazon on EVERYTHING! It's one of my three go-to seasonings. Everything tastes better w/Sazon, Adobo and Old Bay. Get chicken breasts, sprinkle 'em w/the three I mentioned. Bake at 350F until done. Serve w/rice and green beans as above. For the rice, butter and a splash of lime juice will add serious flavor. 

DM me if you want more ideas. 

I'd drag Jill for "broadening" her kids' cultural horizons in only the shallowest ways possible because brown people are scary and might have Different Thoughts, but Indian food is the bomb dot com, so she wins points for serving it to her kids. Much better (and healthier) than the glop her parents raised her on. 

The thing is, I don't like Jill's hateful views and mostly boneheaded parenting decisions (except for feeding her kids indian food), but I'm mostly just sad that everyone in her life has made damn sure that any potential she has to be a smart, cultured, open-minded person is wasted and suppressed. 

12 hours ago, apandaaries said:

A word of caution on the Goya sazon...it contains MSG, if you have anyone in your family who is sensitive to it.  A good friend of mine gets violently ill if he eats MSG so I’m always on the lookout.

11 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I'd drag Jill for "broadening" her kids' cultural horizons in only the shallowest ways possible because brown people are scary and might have Different Thoughts, but Indian food is the bomb dot com, so she wins points for serving it to her kids. Much better (and healthier) than the glop her parents raised her on.

To your first thought: it's super weird how Jill cultivates this very cosmopolitan persona with her "Nepali son"/henna and nose rings/random Spanish exclamations/ministry for immigrant college students while she's in the United States, and then the second she steps foot in another country she's all "ppplease pray for me :'( the savages want to kidnap my white children :'((((("

15 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

Please tell me that you fed her lebkuchen. My Dad always made them and, the Christmas before he passed away, I had him teach me to make them. I still have his extra directions on my computer (and backed up as well.)

No. I’ve actually never had those before.

The cookies are family recipes and they’re delicious. I tried searching online, but I’ve never found any mention of them outside of my family (it doesn’t help that I, sadly, can’t speak or read German.) I’m pretty sure one of the cookies is from the Swabia region of Germany due to its distinct name, which would make sense since I believe part of the family immigrated to the states from there back in the late 1800s or early 1900s.

I am German and Dominican. I grew up eating a wide assortment of food from both cultures. My  mom's best friend was Mexican, so I ate plenty of Mexican food. Still food was very limited in our area. It took years for my dad to eat Chinese. 

My son grew up eating everything. He taught me about sushi. He would eat spicy as a small child with no issue. 

4 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I am German and Dominican. I grew up eating a wide assortment of food from both cultures. My  mom's best friend was Mexican, so I ate plenty of Mexican food. Still food was very limited in our area. It took years for my dad to eat Chinese. 

My son grew up eating everything. He taught me about sushi. He would eat spicy as a small child with no issue. 

German and Dominican? Dang! I seem to be running into a lot of German/Latinx folks lately. 

And yes, the food is INCREDIBLE! 

1 minute ago, feministxtian said:

German and Dominican? Dang! I seem to be running into a lot of German/Latinx folks lately. 

And yes, the food is INCREDIBLE! 

My mother's best friend who I mentioned was married to a German. My mom's other good friend, who is Cuban, is married to a German. My dad and his German friends where in a soccer club in Chicago. The Latina girls who all worked downtown together, would go to the club the guys hung out at. 

Just now, libgirl2 said:

My mother's best friend who I mentioned was married to a German. My mom's other good friend, who is Cuban, is married to a German. My dad and his German friends where in a soccer club in Chicago. The Latina girls who all worked downtown together, would go to the club the guys hung out at. 

Given what I know about German/Latinx "hybrids", I'm surprised there hasn't been a massive explosion yet! My poor generic American husband didn't know what he was getting into. He learned, so did my kids. When I'm yelling they're just fine (the Cuban side). When I got quiet, they'd scatter...they knew mama was at her limit (the German side). Growing up was interesting...my parents could fight over anything up to and including what shade of green the grass was. The upside is I have absolutely no fear of confrontation whatsoever. 

Like all of you, I don't see the irate comments. It's this weird sort of cultural blinders people have, where their culture is the "normal" one, the baseline. Kids are pretty durable, a little flavor won't kill them. Jill's post might be uninteresting and a little tone-deaf in regards to the Bollywood comment, but at least it's not transphobic, homophobic, or otherwise hateful. Derick, take note.

Tastes can change drastically in adults as well. I used to hate spicy food, but my boyfriend loves it. In the year we've been together, I've gone from avoiding spice to dousing my pizza in red pepper flakes and ordering medium dishes at Indian restaurants. 

2 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

No. I’ve actually never had those before.

The cookies are family recipes and they’re delicious. I tried searching online, but I’ve never found any mention of them outside of my family (it doesn’t help that I, sadly, can’t speak or read German.) I’m pretty sure one of the cookies is from the Swabia region of Germany due to its distinct name, which would make sense since I believe part of the family immigrated to the states from there back in the late 1800s or early 1900s.

Springerle? My German grandma used to make them. Or Schawbenbrotli?

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived