IGNORED

Dillards 57: Run, D’Wreck, Run!

Jellybean

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, General Jinjur said:

Springerle? My German grandma used to make them. Or Schawbenbrotli?

Not the first one. Second didn’t have any hits at all on google, so I can’t confirm or deny based off a recipe.

I’m honestly not joking when I say my family is the only one I know of that has this specific recipe. Same with the second recipe as well. I don’t want to give the names or descriptions because it’d be a dead giveaway in the very unlikely chance that any family members are secretly on here.

The talk of Germans and Latinx being connected reminds me this classic clip from I Love Lucy  ("Paris at Last" episode)

Hey I'm half Chilean and half German American (3/4 great grandparents on my mom's side, so her grandparents, were from Germany).

It's an extremely common ethnic combination in Chile and Argentina, and with a very loaded history (Colonia Dignidad Is a crazy fundie cult rabbit hole). But of the elderly Chileans I know, significantly more people are familiar with German culture and language than with English-speaking cultures and language. This isn't at all true for younger people.

It's amazing how fast demographics can change.

1 hour ago, VelociRapture said:

Not the first one. Second didn’t have any hits at all on google, so I can’t confirm or deny based off a recipe.

I’m honestly not joking when I say my family is the only one I know of that has this specific recipe. Same with the second recipe as well. I don’t want to give the names or descriptions because it’d be a dead giveaway in the very unlikely chance that any family members are secretly on here.

Spitzbuben? We had a German friend make them for us once...

2 hours ago, albireo said:

And then right afterwards...the tater tot casserole recipe. https://www.dillardfamily.com/2018/05/tater-tot-casserole-recipe/ Her marketing is so inconsistent.

At first glance I thought it was a good move for her to post that recipe marketing wise- it was one of the early hits of the Duggarverse and she could refer back to her roots, which are the only reason the Dillards are recognizable. She could have said something about good memories eating this dish growing up, and sometimes she just gets a craving for comfort food. Relatable. But the way she posted it wasn't like that. She said it was a recipe from her family that wasn't super healthy, but was cheap and easy to make for a crowd. If that's all you're looking for, a taco bar fits the bill. So yeah, weird marketing.

29 minutes ago, LilMissMetaphor said:

Spitzbuben? We had a German friend make them for us once...

Nope. :pb_lol:

2 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

That's because there's a wrong letter in there. It's supposed to be Schwabenbrötli, which are cookies made with almonds and cinnamon.

Thank you all. Now this talk about cookies made me crave Wibele. 

35 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

That's because there's a wrong letter in there. It's supposed to be Schwabenbrötli, which are cookies made with almonds and cinnamon.

Thank you all. Now this talk about cookies made me crave Wibele. 

This is the closest recipe I’ve seen actually! Not exactly the same - different quantities, missing ingredient, a different shape, and the name is spelt differently - but it’s very similar. 

2 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

This is the closest recipe I’ve seen actually! Not exactly the same - different quantities, missing ingredient, a different shape, and the name is spelt differently - but it’s very similar. 

The Schwabenbrötli or the Wibele?

4 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

The Schwabenbrötli or the Wibele?

Schwabenbrötli. I texted it to my mom and she agreed with me that it appears to be the same general idea, which is kind of cool. We never really knew where this recipe came from. All we knew is that the family had been making it for at least 90 years when my great-aunt passed several years ago (she was 93 when she died and didn’t remember a Christmas without them.)

8 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

Schwabenbrötli. I texted it to my mom and she agreed with me that it appears to be the same general idea, which is kind of cool. We never really knew where this recipe came from. All we knew is that the family had been making it for at least 90 years when my great-aunt passed several years ago (she was 93 when she died and didn’t remember a Christmas without them.)

Well, there are thousands of variations to all the recipes. Nearly every family has a special recipe. And since Swabian is a dialect, there is no common rule for spelling especially since there‘s a myriad of sub-dialects to Swabian. ETA: and dialects undergo changes with the years as well.

So I guess I am confused or tired cause I reside in the land of thousands of Christmas cookies and pastries and it‘s late here, but are you trying to put a name to a recipe you have or are you looking for a specific recipe and its origin?

7 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

Well, there are thousands of variations to all the recipes. Nearly every family has a special recipe. And since Swabian is a dialect, there is no common rule for spelling especially since there‘s a myriad of sub-dialects to Swabian. ETA: and dialects undergo changes with the years as well.

So I guess I am confused or tired cause I reside in the land of thousands of Christmas cookies and pastries and it‘s late here, but are you trying to put a name to a recipe you have or are you looking for a specific recipe and its origin?

Based off what you said about the Swabian dialect, I’m pretty sure this is the same recipe just missing an ingredient. 

Basically, I was curious about a recipe we have had in our family for a very long time. The people who may have known where it originally came from are all long gone, so I turned to google to try and find out more. Based off how we spell the name of the cookie it was clear the recipe was likely from Swabia, which makes sense since part of my dad’s family immigrated from there about 100 years ago. It’s just a bit exciting for me because I’ve never found a recipe even remotely close to our’s before. I don’t know much about our family’s background, so it’s always exciting for me to find something new.

I saw the Indian food post and was hoping the recipe she posted was Indian! But nope, good ol' tater tot casserole.

I only tried Indian food as an adult and now it's one of my most favorite cuisines. I wish I had been exposed to more adventurous food growing up! Everything was McDonald's, KFC, Taco Bell when we ate out. My mom made typical mid century stuff like sloppy Joe's and spaghetti. That was the only stuff my dad would eat. She's since branched out since they split up.

But man, I really agree with@feministxtian and the others who posted that if all you think kids will eat are chicken nuggets, then that's all they'll eat! My little niece and nephew stay here on the weekends and they are so picky because their parents just feed them corn dogs and dinosaur chicken nuggets. I'm a foodie and all about fresh food and it makes me crazy!! We've gotten them to branch out and eat a couple grapes and strawberries. My all time proudest moment was when I made broccoli cheddar soup. I blended up carrots, onion and broccoli in it and they chowed down! Probably one of the most nutritious meals they've eaten.

6 minutes ago, PumaLover said:

But man, I really agree with@feministxtian and the others who posted that if all you think kids will eat are chicken nuggets, then that's all they'll eat! My little niece and nephew stay here on the weekends and they are so picky because their parents just feed them corn dogs and dinosaur chicken nuggets. I'm a foodie and all about fresh food and it makes me crazy!! We've gotten them to branch out and eat a couple grapes and strawberries. My all time proudest moment was when I made broccoli cheddar soup. I blended up carrots, onion and broccoli in it and they chowed down! Probably one of the most nutritious meals they've eaten.

I was one of those horrible moms that gave my kids 2 choices for meals...take it or leave it. As a result, my kids are rather adventurous when it comes to food...they'll eat things I won't eat on a dare or a bet (like sushi). The things I don't like I didn't refuse to give my kids. i didn't want them to pick up on my dislikes. My granddaughters were picky when we got them, that got fixed right quick. I started with things I knew they liked and slowly branched out and by the time they went back to their parents 4 years later, if it wasn't nailed down, they'd eat it. A will cut a bitch for sushi and K will hurt you for anything Mexican, the spicier the better. E, my grandson, has some legit food allergies but will eat anything that's not on his "no" list. 

PS...right now I'd kill for some extra crispy KFC

I was horribly limited growing up, my mom raised us on Stouffers. But meeting Hubby changed all that. My kids will now eat almost anything, including eel sushi, fried baby squid on a stick and various types of roe. Two of the 4 had alligator bites last month. Lamb, rabbit, mussels, oysters, easy peasy. I can cook basics when I'm not insanely busy.

44 minutes ago, PumaLover said:

My all time proudest moment was when I made broccoli cheddar soup. I blended up carrots, onion and broccoli in it and they chowed down! Probably one of the most nutritious meals they've eaten.

I'll confess it actually drives me a bit crazy/makes me sad to see kids with such extremely limited diets. That's a thing that can be changed -- even with allergies, kids can still usually have a wide variety of foods. I knew a kid (friend's boyfriend's son) who basically only ate chips, wonderbread, soda, and a handful of other super-processed items. He was being raised in the US, but his growth, at 14, was already fairly clearly stunted when compared with his parents' heights; by comparison, my 10 year old daughter was taller than him. Broke my heart to see that unnecessary consequence of malnutrition on a kid who definitely didn't deserve it.

Before my kid decided she wanted to be vegan (her pediatrician is included in these discussions, and she has "cheat" days with eggs and dairy weekly), she would try the weirdest things.  My personal favorite was when she ate fish eyes, but she also would explore with my brother and eat the odd things on the menu that he invariably favors. Now she'll eat any fruit or vegetable that crosses her path, and occasionally venture beyond that...but that's mainly due to trying such a wide variety of flavors earlier on. Part of it is personality, but a huge part is exposure. Kids need to try foods consistently before they develop a taste for them. This is one of many articles on the subject; feel free to share and educate others: https://qz.com/940599/the-pickiest-of-kids-ate-dozens-of-new-foods-after-a-two-week-training-devised-by-a-psychologist/

I wish I weren't as picky as I am, but things like mussels, oysters, scallops, etc. are no goes for me. That said, I'm no where near the worst picky eater I've ever met, which was one of my ex-boyfriends. We lived together and I eventually gave up cooking for both of us because he'd bitch and moan and then eat something else: soft cheese, a bagel, which sometimes had a specific type of ham on it, and an apple. He had that same meal twice a day for as long as I knew him. No fast food or quick service (which made traveling an enormous, stressful hassle) and I couldn't make anything out of a box (such as pre-made pot pies in the oven or frozen pizza). I never knew him to consume a vegetable besides fried potatoes. He would only eat "clear" soups like chicken broth. Restaurants had to be carefully selected to ensure that one of the three things he would eat out were on there. It was maddening enough that I swore never to date another fussy eater again--and I haven't. 

28 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

I wish I weren't as picky as I am, but things like mussels, oysters, scallops, etc. are no goes for me. That said, I'm no where near the worst picky eater I've ever met, which was one of my ex-boyfriends. We lived together and I eventually gave up cooking for both of us because he'd bitch and moan and then eat something else: soft cheese, a bagel, which sometimes had a specific type of ham on it, and an apple. He had that same meal twice a day for as long as I knew him. No fast food or quick service (which made traveling an enormous, stressful hassle) and I couldn't make anything out of a box (such as pre-made pot pies in the oven or frozen pizza). I never knew him to consume a vegetable besides fried potatoes. He would only eat "clear" soups like chicken broth. Restaurants had to be carefully selected to ensure that one of the three things he would eat out were on there. It was maddening enough that I swore never to date another fussy eater again--and I haven't. 

I'm the same way about seafood. I never did like much of it. I think I miss eating Newfoundland fish cakes, and that's it.

I'm a fussy, picky eater. I've been trying to add spice to my meals, it's a bit hit and miss.

Oh man I agree on what kids will eat.  My kids were picky but I made sure they ate from all the food groups at least twice a day, and they had a variety of foods they would eat beyond mac & cheese & chicken nuggets (oh & I made chicken nuggets from scratch so nothing processed) they had a very balaqnced diet.   My nephew & nieces will only eat a handful of things it is insane getting them to eat, they will eat the same thing 7 days in a row and their parents let them, because my sister is so picky it is all she will eat and my brother & sil are too lazy to cook properly & my brother is so picky as well. 

On 5/10/2018 at 9:50 PM, apandaaries said:

Just wanted to say that you inspired me to search out sazon on Amazon

Sazon con achiote on thin pork chops, bone in, baked .... heaven.

5 hours ago, PumaLover said:

I only tried Indian food as an adult and now it's one of my most favorite cuisines.

Mr MM always said Indian food tasted like dirt - - until I took him to have good Indian.   He was almost licking the plate.

@VelociRapture You can PM me about this if you like. :) I think I may have found something interesting re the cookies. They're actually quite common here around Christmas. Very classic, traditional ingredients.

I am no picky eater. My mom is a cook so we had always fresh cooked meals at home. My grandma is a great cook too and they have their own large garden where they grow nearly everything. Me and my brother learned how to cook from our mom and we do both a good job right now. But both of us agree that my grandma makes the best salad dressing ever! In our teenage years we were kind of mad with our mum, because she tried new or different salad dressings with mustard or italian spices. I remember one sunday where I was in charge for the salad dressing. When my brother tried the first bite of his salad he had this special look in his eyes like he won the lottery and said: this is grandma's dressing. I was proud as fuck! From a young age me and my brother were in the kitchen, either with my mum or during holidays with my grandma, although the occasions with my grandma were rare, they belong to my best memories. My dad is very adventurous with food and new things to try. So with me and my brother it's a mixture of genes, our upbringing and the luck that none of us has a food allergy or intolerance. And we had the absolute luxury of an access to gardens where nearly everything grew. To cook or to bake makes me happy and relieves stress. Today I will cook some soup, no idea what sort of soup, I will have to look what ingredients are there and the I will improvise. 

Edit to add: I did not want to offend picky eaters. I am not sure if it's really just what I wrote above that led me and my brother to become no-picky-eaters. It is definitley not a  : 'you should do exactly this and everything will be fine' speech. It's just my story and I wanted to share it. 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived