IGNORED

Royal Baby is a Boy

victoriasponge

No, Prince Albert did not have a Prince Albert. :pb_lol: I mean, I guess anything’s possible, but it’s an urban legend from the 20th century.

10 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

If you replace “George” with “Albert” it takes you to a page about Queen Victoria’s husband:

https://www.royal.uk/prince-albert-0

I hope this is the explanation! Thanks @VelociRapture, you always come through with crucial info exactly when it’s needed - you’re a superstar!

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't care what they name the baby, but I'm hoping that someone tweets to Trump that one of his many middle names is going to be Barack.  He'd probably break his thumbs tweeting obnoxious replies!

12 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

Bear in mind that kings/queens often choose "regnal names" rather like Popes do, so whilst the Queen's dad was called Albert at birth he reigned as King George VI. It's been rumoured that Prince Charles may choose a regnal name that isn't Charles (I assume it's something to do with the previous King Charleses but my royal history isn't brilliant). In fact, I was looking up the Queen earlier and apparently, when she was asked what regnal name she would use, she said she'd stick with Elizabeth.

This actually isn’t common. I believe only three monarchs in British history have chosen a different regnal name.

Edit: Queen Victoria's given name was Alexandrina Victoria and she chose to reign as Victoria. Her son Edward VII was born Albert Edward. And George VI was Albert 'Bertie'. They're the only three. 

19 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

I heard many fashionable  men had them to somehow make their tight breeches fit better. I don’t see how this would work but whatever. 

Or tame their members so they looked better in their tight breeches. 

Prince Albert was said to have quite an impressive member. 

I really don't see Charles choosing a different name. I mean, the man is almost 70 years old - I think it would be very odd for him to suddenly choose another name to rule by. He's too well-known as Charles. (Not to be negative, but he might not even be King, the way the Queen is trucking on!)

1 minute ago, JenniferJuniper said:

Or tame their members so they looked better in their tight breeches. 

Prince Albert was said to have quite an impressive member. 

Again, this is all urban legend which has no basis in reality. I'm not ragging on you, it's funny, but in the interest of accuracy I just have to say it, sorry!

6 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Again, this is all urban legend which has no basis in reality. I'm not ragging on you, it's funny, but in the interest of accuracy I just have to say it, sorry!

And how do you know it's an urban legend?  

Men of that era were known to wear appentages for various reasons, including controlling erections in tight trousers.

And Albert did wear 'em tight.

_tb5nEtJLeHa2FhuAJ-cQFMB1p6bwzEC4TqXSST3

14 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

This actually isn’t common. I believe only three monarchs in British history have chosen a different regnal name.

Edit: Queen Victoria's given name was Alexandrina Victoria and she chose to reign as Victoria. Her son Edward VII was born Albert Edward. And George VI was Albert 'Bertie'. They're the only three. 

That’s true. I don’t know why I wrote “often”!!

This is akin to a Duggar name release, the way this is going on...

13 minutes ago, JenniferJuniper said:

Men of that era were known to wear appentages for various reasons, including controlling erections in tight trousers.

Well, Vicky's diaries were edited, but she might well have mentioned the appendages.  She was delightfully frank.

You have to love the young Vicky.  She put the r in randy (or the h in horny for you North Americans).

She got sugar shivers about Albert in his very tight pantaloons "with nothing underneath!"  Except possibly piercings. :)

Aparently when meeting Prince Charles, Spice Girl Geri Halliwell asked him if Prince Albert had a Prince Albert, Charles then asked Stephen Fry, who was also present what it meant and he awkwardly had to explain it's a Cockring.

I'm not a fan of Albert or any of the names in the running, apart from James. 

2 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Well, Vicky's diaries were edited, but she might well have mentioned the appendages.  She was delightfully frank.

You have to love the young Vicky.  She put the r in randy (or the h in horny for you North Americans).

She got sugar shivers about Albert in his very tight pantaloons "with nothing underneath!"  Except possibly piercings. :)

Disservice was done to the world when Princess Beatrice edited those. I really, really would like to see the unedited version, the young Vicky was interesting and not near as prim and proper as people think. 

23 minutes ago, JenniferJuniper said:

And how do you know it's an urban legend?  

_tb5nEtJLeHa2FhuAJ-cQFMB1p6bwzEC4TqXSST3

I know it’s an urban legend because it’s actually an urban legend - something widely circulated as a ‘true story’ which in reality has little to no basis in fact. That’s different than saying that I’m 100% sure it never happened. If you have sources backing up the claim the Prince Albert (or indeed 19th century men in general) had their genitals pierced so they could look more modest in tight pants, please feel free to share!

1 hour ago, VelociRapture said:

I don’t know. Despite what the article claims, you actually can access the pages for Prince George and Princess Charlotte:

https://www.royal.uk/prince-george-0

https://www.royal.uk/princess-charlotte-0

If you replace “George” with “Albert” it takes you to a page about Queen Victoria’s husband:

https://www.royal.uk/prince-albert-0

Its possible that they picked Albert and gave it away accidentally, but I just have trouble believing that someone would be that careless. 

Oh thank goodness. Actually now that you mention it, I doubt anyone in or close to the royal family is a web developer, so it does seem unlikely that someone with the ability to update the website would know the name already.

Didn't Elisabeth's uncle also change his name, it was David but then he ruled as Edward?

I don't think Charles will though, he is older and that would be weird, he is known so people might find it odd, and its been so long since that has happened people will find that odd too. 

1 minute ago, justoneoftwo said:

Didn't Elisabeth's uncle also change his name, it was David but then he ruled as Edward?

His first name was actually Edward, David was the last of his middle names. They just called him David. As pointed out earlier in this thread he was Edward Albert Christian George Andrew Patrick David! 

Just now, justoneoftwo said:

I don't think Charles will though, he is older and that would be weird, he is known so people might find it odd, and its been so long since that has happened people will find that odd too. 

Edward was his first name while David was his last middle name, and he was always known officially as Prince Edward before being king. David was just what he was called within the family. 

Kind of like how his uncle was called Prince Albert Victor but was known in the family as Eddy, or Louis Mountbatten was called Dickie.

William stated today that they’re still working on the name:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.eonline.com/amp/news/930229/prince-william-says-he-s-still-working-on-a-royal-baby-name

That could be true or just an easy excuse not to share yet. I’d guess they’re likely just waiting to inform family members and they’d like to tell the important ones (like the grandparents) in person. I’d be surprised if they don’t announce by the end of Saturday.

5 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

His first name was actually Edward, David was the last of his middle names. They just called him David. As pointed out earlier in this thread he was Edward Albert Christian George Andrew Patrick David! 

I’m convinced that Wallis was just a scapegoat and this is the actual reason he abdicated. “You jerks gave me seven names and I don’t even know which to answer to! Nobody knows what to call me and nobody understands me! Screw all y’all, I’m out!”*

*I’m paraphrasing, but how phenomenal would it be if this was how that conversation really went? I’m just going to imagine him as an overly emotional teenager having a meltdown now. :pb_lol:

Do we think Harry's kids will be princes and princesses or will they be like prince Edward's children?

Also I could see Harry giving a son the name Spencer.

And George VI (Albert Frederick Arthur George) was known as Bertie before getting shafted into being king.  He was such a nice man.

5 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

or Louis Mountbatten was called Dickie.

And also known as a cheating Dick.  His leisure interests were legion.  Poor Edwina.

4 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

That could be true or just an easy excuse not to share yet.

Oh, come on now.  We have to allow all the royals in on the super-sekret name time to place their bets.

7 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

I’m convinced that Wallis was just a scapegoat and this is the actual reason he abdicated. “You jerks gave me seven names and I don’t even know which to answer to! Nobody knows what to call me and nobody understands me! Screw all y’all, I’m out!”*

*I’m paraphrasing, but how phenomenal would it be if this was how that conversation really went? I’m just going to imagine him as an overly emotional teenager having a meltdown now. :pb_lol:

If anyone was going to have that meltdown it would be the Duke of Windsor, he was quite the diva. ;) 

I saw the DM piece about Prince Albert, and it seems strange thing to happen if there is nothing to the name. But I dislike it even more now it seems to be a more likely possibility than when it seemed more of a joke than a serious option.

I know I guessed at Prince Arthur before, but Prince Frederick/ Freddie has been growing on me as the days passed while waiting on an announcement.

2 minutes ago, viii said:

I think Harry will give his children titles. 

It won't be up to Harry.  The titles are in the control of the Monarch.

28 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I know it’s an urban legend because it’s actually an urban legend - something widely circulated as a ‘true story’ which in reality has little to no basis in fact. That’s different than saying that I’m 100% sure it never happened. If you have sources backing up the claim the Prince Albert (or indeed 19th century men in general) had their genitals pierced so they could look more modest in tight pants, please feel free to share!

I've made no such claim to knowing "the truth" unlike you who insisted it must be false, but you can google dressing ring and Victorian trousers if want details about upper class men and tight trousers.  Throw in Beau Brummel for good measure! 

Archived