IGNORED

Royal Baby is a Boy

victoriasponge

Since we're in testing this week, they sent me and a bunch of other classes to the cafeteria, and I'm just sitting here basically babysitting my students, I'm going to do George V and his sons:

George Frederick Ernest Albert (George V)

Edward Albert Christian George Andrew Patrick David (Edward VIII)

Albert Frederick Arthur George (George VI)

Henry William Frederick Albert (Duke of Gloucester, father of current duke)

George Edward Alexander Edmund (Duke of Kent, father of current duke and Prince Michael)

John Charles Francis (died before given a dukedom)

It's funny, all of the sons born before Queen Victoria died had the name Albert, but the sons born after did not. 

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

45 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

They saddled him with seven names!  

And interesting.  So our current Duke of York was named after his abdicating great-uncle as well as his spendthrift and mistress loving grandfather.  

5 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

I also think of Edmund Pevensie!

As far as William Moseley, I was 34 or 35 when the first movie came out, so I never saw him in any romantic or sexual way. I remember other movies with guys that did have that kind of an effect on me, though!

Ah.  For me it was Leonard Whiting.  Never heard of him?  He was in the mid 1960s Zeffirelli film version of Romeo and Juliet.  And then faded away into obscurity.

And you can still place your bets!  The latest odds.

https://uk.style.yahoo.com/royal-baby-name-could-why-100922382.html

The delay has only served to ignite royal baby name fever with gamblers placing bets on boy names for the new baby.

“When it comes to boys names, Edward has been by far the most popular selection at eight to one, with Arthur fancied too. Speaking to our traders, Edward has edged the betting in terms of the actual amount of bets on the name,” a spokesman for Paddy Power Betfair said.

Now though, it has been revealed that Arthur is emerging as the most likely moniker with 2/1, with Edward falling to 9/1.

This comes despite a peak in bets on the name Alexander after Prince William joked “Funny you should say that”, when it was suggested as the new baby’s name.

James follows closely behind at 4/1 odds while many believe Frederick is also a possibility at 8/1.

Other names being put forward for the new prince include Thomas, Philip, Jack, or Henry.

Arthur still in the lead at 2/1.  Darn!

1 hour ago, anjulibai said:

Since we're in testing this week, they sent me and a bunch of other classes to the cafeteria, and I'm just sitting here basically babysitting my students, I'm going to do George V and his sons:

George Frederick Ernest Albert (George V)

Albert Frederick Arthur George (George VI)

Henry William Frederick Albert (Duke of Gloucester, father of current duke)

George Edward Alexander Edmund (Duke of Kent, father of current duke and Prince Michael)

John Charles Francis (died before given a dukedom)

It's funny, all of the sons born before Queen Victoria died had the name Albert, but the sons born after did not. 

She also wanted all the descendant kings to be King Albert and assumed the son and heir she treated like crap his entire life would totally be up for that plan. 

22 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

They saddled him with seven names!  

And interesting.  So our current Duke of York was named after his abdicating great-uncle as well as his spendthrift and mistress loving grandfather.  

Great-Grandmother Victoria gave Edward VIII his names. The first three were for family. The last four were in honor of the patron saints of the realms of Great Britain - George for England, Andrew for Scotland, Patrick for Ireland and David for Wales. 

I don't think the current Duke of York was named specifically for the Duke of Windsor, but he was definitely named for Philip's father. I imagine there was a lot of mixed feelings at the time about it. It was Philip's father that insisted Philip go to the boarding schools he went to, which did have a major impact on Philip's development. 

In any case, it wasn't an unheard of name in the family, and it does honor Scotland. 

10 minutes ago, JordynDarby5 said:

She also wanted all the descendant kings to be King Albert and assumed the son and heir she treated like crap his entire life would totally be up for that plan. 

Yup. And there were too use their second names, too. 

So Edward VII was to be Albert I Edward or Albert Edward I

Victoria insisted Edward's eldest son be named Albert Victor, so he'd eventually be Albert II Victor or Albert Victor I. I imagine that after Prince Albert Victor died she was hoping George V would go as Albert II George or Albert George I.

I'm actually surprised that she didn't insist Edward VIII be named Albert Edward instead of Edward Albert, so that he'd be Albert III Edward II (or Albert Edward II)

10 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

I was just thinking Aethelred would be great. If they wanted to honour their Scottish connections they could always go Duncan... 

Or Kenneth or Michael. 

His Royal Majesty Prince Stan. Hmmm. 

(Sorry wrong quote)

11 hours ago, singsingsing said:

They're not inviting any politicians. Even the British prime minister wasn't invited.

It isn't a state wedding so they don't have to invite politicians and heads of state.  Possibly a few of the royal European cousins will turn up, but not kings and queens or crown prince or princesses.  However, the Greek (former and exiled) royals apparently show up at any event if they get a sniff at the envelope of an invitation.

@VelociRapture, William and Kate's wedding was an official state occasion, thus the loads of heads of state.  The Obamas weren't there and it was a bit controversial.  Officially it was because of security issues, but it was unclear whether they were invited and sent regrets, or not invited.  It would have been a huge diss if they were not invited, so I think they probably were.

How 'bout Spurgeon Elliot Windsor? His Royal Highness, Prince Spurgeon.

Yeah okay. That was awful. I'll see myself out.

30 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

I don't think the current Duke of York was named specifically for the Duke of Windsor, but he was definitely named for Philip's father. I imagine there was a lot of mixed feelings at the time about it. It was Philip's father that insisted Philip go to the boarding schools he went to, which did have a major impact on Philip's development. 

In any case, it wasn't an unheard of name in the family, and it does honor Scotland. 

So do I. Yes, its nice that they named him after his grandfather. But I'm really not sure why he doesn't seem like someone Philip would have fond memories of. After exile from Greece Andrew never bothered to raise his son who went to boarding schools and spent time not there with relatives.   

11 minutes ago, JordynDarby5 said:

So do I. Yes, its nice that they named him after his grandfather. But I'm really not sure why he doesn't seem like someone Philip would have fond memories of. After exile from Greece Andrew never bothered to raise his son who went to boarding schools and spent time not there with relatives.   

Maybe Phillip thought that it was something that he should do. More of an "I should feel like honouring my father." Plus his Dad had been dead a while by the time Andrew was born, could play into it. 

19 minutes ago, JordynDarby5 said:

After exile from Greece Andrew never bothered to raise his son who went to boarding schools and spent time not there with relatives.

And he was very nasty to Princess Alice who is one of my absolute favorite royals.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Alice_of_Battenberg

7 hours ago, neurogirl said:

Does no one else think of Chronicles of Narnia with the name Edmund?? 

While the book was good, I think the movie's William Moseley (who played Peter Pevensie) was my sexual awakening. So I may have watched that movie a million times. :my_blush:

Honestly, that movie is why I'm so fond of the name Edmund. The books were good, but I really liked the actor that played the character - his pouty, sulky face was perfect, lol. I find Edmund quite endearing. 

5 hours ago, adidas said:

Darn it Kensington Palace. I got so excited to see 3 new tweets and while I’m very happy that Harry has asked William to be his best man and William has accepted, JUST TELL US THE BABY’S NAME!

LITERALLY. NO ONE CARES ABOUT BEST MAN. That was a given, in my opinion. Of course William is going to be best man... we don't need an announcement on that. You know what we don't know and need the announcement on? THE FREAKING BABY NAME. 

11 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

And he was very nasty to Princess Alice who is one of my absolute favorite royals.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Alice_of_Battenberg

I didn't know anything about her until PBS aired a story about her. After that I found her biography and read it. She was an amazing woman! The stuff she did during World War II was awesome. There really should be more talk about her. More books and movies. Andrew treated her like crap.

I do think though that Philip's chief loyalty would be to his maternal grandparents who raised him, the Mountbatten's. Princess Alice was struggling with mental illness, Prince Andrew was being a philanderer, Greece was never stable, Philip spent more time with his grandparents than with anyone else.  

15 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

I do think though that Philip's chief loyalty would be to his maternal grandparents who raised him, the Mountbatten's. Princess Alice was struggling with mental illness, Prince Andrew was being a philanderer, Greece was never stable, Philip spent more time with his grandparents than with anyone else.  

His childhood was so sad and explains much about him as a person. 

Almost 6pm in London, guess we are not getting an announcement today. Hopefully tomorrow? 

Alice was eventually persuaded to move into BP and lived largely out of the public eye till her death. The Kids were in and out of her rooms and they called her Ya Ya. She and her son were so similar they had loud, argumentative relationship. 

20 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

Almost 6pm in London, guess we are not getting an announcement today. Hopefully tomorrow? 

Yes, I would assume nothing today if they haven't announced by now. Ugh! I leave on a trip for a writer's retreat  tonight and the reception is spotty where I'm going so I was hoping to know beforehand! 

I wonder if they're actually still trying to decide on a name. Or maybe they had one picked out, but changed their minds after they met him (certainly wouldn't be the first time in history).

There must be something like that going on, because otherwise I'm not sure why the delay. Yesterday was out of respect for Anzac Day, which was nice of them. Although I read that they wanted Prince Charles to meet the baby first before they announced anything, and he was travelling home from France today - maybe he's the delay? 

Every time Kensington Palace twitter updates, I get excited. 

2 minutes ago, viii said:

Although I read that they wanted Prince Charles to meet the baby first before they announced anything, and he was travelling home from France today - maybe he's the delay? 

I think this is the most likely reason we haven't heard yet. It makes sense to want the whole family to meet the baby before telling the public, I think.

I know it's the Daily Fail, but it seems they may be onto something: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5661601/Strongest-clue-Kate-Wills-new-Royal-Baby-Prince-ALBERT.html

A page at www.royal.uk/prince-albert reads Access Denied - which is the same message that greets visitors trying to visit that page or those of the newborn's siblings. 

But if visitors attempt to view pages bearing other rumoured names - including Arthur and Alexander - the website simply presents the message: 'Page Not Found.'

Surely someone must have told them by now what a 'Prince Albert' is? I would be royally (haha I'm hilarious) pissed if my parents did that to me. No one needs to go through their entire life with a name associated with a genital piercing. It's too bad, because Albert is a fine name and the Queen's father and Victoria's husband both seem like wonderful namesakes, but come on. I'm not saying it would ruin the kid's life or anything remotely like that, but there are so many other nice names that wouldn't lead to embarrassment and teasing!

Oh my goodness... that's certainly a strong indication. I bet a lot of people are trying to put new bets on that name. That just seems mean. I hope for his sake they call him Prince Albie! 

I really hope it’s not Albert though. It’s my least favorite of the choices. Maybe because I don’t like the nick name Bertie like the queen’s dad. Alby would be a better nick name although not much better. At least with Alfred they could call him Freddie which I think is very cute. I am not a huge fan of Alfie. And that’s why I want Fredrick as the choice. Because Freddie must be the nick name since no one calls children named Fredrick, “Rickie.”

1 minute ago, viii said:

Oh my goodness... that's certainly a strong indication. I bet a lot of people are trying to put new bets on that name. That just seems mean. I hope for his sake they call him Prince Albie! 

I'm really hoping the delay is because they had settled on Prince Albert, but then Eugenie or someone came over to meet the kid and was like, "Wait, PRINCE ALBERT? Like the piercing??" And now they're scrambling to find something else. I don't know why I'm impugning Eugenie in this, maybe it was Carole Middleton. :pb_lol:

Prince Albert would just be so, so...unfortunate. 

Archived