IGNORED

Royal Baby is a Boy

victoriasponge

That’s why there is speculation that Charles will take a Another name when he becomes King. But after 70 years I doubt he will do that :) 

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right?! Majority of these names are 'tainted'.

I'd be happy with Arthur or Edward. Actually, I'd be happy just to know at this point! 

Just now, tabitha2 said:

That’s why there is speculation that Charles will take a Another name when he becomes King. But after 70 years I doubt he will do that :) 

I would be VERY surprised if Charles chose another name once he becomes King. He's so ingrained in people's minds as Charles! It seems unlikely, but never say never, I suppose. 

15 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I'd be really curious to know how much input the Queen actually gives these days.

I've always imagined that they give her a list and she crosses off the names she doesn't like.  Princess Anne was sneaky though.  She gave the Queen an incredibly long list of names in alphabetical order and Her Maj dozed off long before she got to Zara.

20 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I love the name David and think it would be a great choice, but Edward VIII was called David by his family so that one is probably nixed. 

There's been a David since the disgraced Duke of Windsor.  Margo's son, David Armstrong-Jones, now Lord Snowdon.

1 minute ago, tabitha2 said:

That’s why there is speculation that Charles will take a Another name when he becomes King. But after 70 years I doubt he will do that

At one point he said he wanted to be King George - after the Farmer King not George VI.  He got some push-back from Americans for obvious reasons. :)

3 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

There's been a David since the disgraced Duke of Windsor.  Margo's son, David Armstrong-Jones, now Lord Snowdon.

Oh yeah, you're right. I can't keep track of these people.

FWIW The Queen Just liked The name Charles, Andrew is a tribute to Phillips father. I read that the QM wanted to name Pr Margaret  Ann but King George didn't Like it so I am thinking that’s where that name came from and Edward have no idea.

3 minutes ago, viii said:

Me either! @Palimpsest your knowledge is very impressive

Not really.  I just have a brain that collects trivia and can't get rid of it.  Important things I forget.

I did do A level history and that helps with some of this stuff.  But, as may be rather obvious, I am not a monarchist.  :)

2 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

FWIW The Queen Just liked The name Charles, Andrew is a tribute to Phillips father. I read that the QM wanted to name Pr Margaret  Ann but King George didn't Like it so I am thinking that’s where that name came from and Edward have no idea.

I read that too. It was nice of her daughter to use that name.  

On 4/23/2018 at 11:34 PM, viii said:

I’m torn. On one hand, she has the prominent role, but on the other hand, he has the bigger name draw. I had never heard of her before The Crown, whereas he’s well known. 

For season 2, the actress playing the queen will get equal pay, so they how have learned. 

gotta say, he's the reason I tuned in, but now I'm a huge fan of her work, too.

I think that as lifespans increase, and especially if Harry and Meghan have three or more,  the name pool may also need to increase.

26 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I mean, their claim is really no more shaky than any other previous royal dynasty's. I think it's hilarious that so many people (not you, obviously!) are labouring under the delusion that the royal family descends from this ancient unbroken line of sovereigns. Couldn't be farther from the truth. :pb_lol:

And then there is Queen Victoria's pesky and historically devastating hemophilia gene.  No one in her known lineage carried the gene.  So was it just some sort of random mutation in her genes? (her half-siblings by her mother did not have or carry the gene)  Or, has has oft been specualted, was her biological father actually not the Duke of Kent but instead some unknown hemophiliac? 

Hmmmmm, they said it was a strong name, and many of the contenders don't sound 'strong' to me.

Arthur, Albert and Alfred sound the strongest, to my ears.

To me, Philip sounds ludicrous and Michael sounds gentle and James sounds snotty-nosed and whiny and Alexander just sounds so ordinary (maybe because I'm an 80s kid and it feels like every second guy in second grade was Alex). 

I think the Queen suggests general things, like being traditional and not too unusual, especially for children high up in the line of succession. She probably says she prefers the general rules the family has used in the past. I don't think she dictates or chooses from a list, though. 

I do think William and Kate are the sort of people to pick more traditional/family names, just based on their personalities, whether they were picking for a potential heir or not. 

It's late in London again, seems we aren't getting an announcement yet today. They probably are waiting for Charles to return so they can tell him in person. 

Phillip has been the Queen strength and Rock and Family patriarch for 70 years. He is intelligent and incredibly hardworking and his Grandchildren adore him.  I may be being sentimental but I bet In Williams eyes there is no stronger name. 

Alfred was a great warrior and King who United his people against invaders. Indeed a strong name to be proud of. 

20 minutes ago, JenniferJuniper said:

And then there is Queen Victoria's pesky and historically devastating hemophilia gene.  No one in her known lineage carried the gene.  So was it just some sort of random mutation in her genes? (her half-siblings by her mother did not have or carry the gene)  Or, has has oft been specualted, was her biological father actually not the Duke of Kent but instead some unknown hemophiliac? 

It was a random mutation. Hemophiliacs of the era didn't live long enough to have children, and the Duke of Kent was an older man, meaning more likely that his sperm would have mutations. And there was no one around her mother at the time of conception that would be an sort of possibility.  

Plus, she looked just like the Duke of Kent. People commented on how much she looked like him and the other Hanoverians from when she was young. It was especially marked in her eyes. 

58 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Arthur was his older brother who died tragically aged only 15.

Or the guy with the Round Table who got cuckolded.  Given the number of illicit affairs enjoyed by so many monarchs and royals over the years though, I'm getting fonder of Alfred as a name.

Prince Alfie.

Not after the king who burnt the cakes but the film.  Or would that be cursing the poor little thing? 

But we could sing along with Cilla:

Thinking about it

13 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

It was a random mutation. Hemophiliacs of the era didn't live long enough to have children.

Not true.  Queen Victoria's son Leopold, the first in the family to show hemophilia symptoms married and had two children before he died at age 30 from complications from a fall. 

3 minutes ago, JenniferJuniper said:

Not true.  Queen Victoria's son Leopold, the first in the family to show hemophilia symptoms married and had two children before he died at age 30 from complications from a fall. 

Yes.  And a third of all cases of hemophilia are spontaneous mutations with no family history on either side.  

https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/hemophilia/inheritance-pattern.html

3 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Yes, but on the bright side you only have to put up with a bad leader for one (or at worst two) terms.  And impeachment isn't as messy as beheading them.  Or having a revolution.

Sadly, the Brits have had to put up with bad monarchs indefinitely.   Even when they go insane (George III), or are complete immoral spendthrift fools (George VI), or are wet blankets  lost in grief for years (Vicky).  

We did manage to wrest away most of their power, make them obey Parliament, and restrict them to being tourist attractions and entertainment for the masses.  But being a tourist attraction seems a bit hard on the younger members and those unlikely to get to be monarch.   It must be like being forced by birth to be on Reality TV their whole lives, although the pay is much better with a lot more perks.

Long live that valiant old warhorse QEII. She knows her place.  Charles, on the other hand, has the nerve to think he's important and that his opinions actually count. :)

Wait, WHAT?? Granted. I don't know TOO much about George VI, but an immoral spendthrift? Please tell me more!

Just now, Loveday said:

Wait, WHAT?? Granted. I don't know TOO much about George VI, but an immoral spendthrift? Please tell me more!

Oh darn.  Sorry, that was a typo.  I meant George IV.  Prinny, Georgie Porgie, the Prince Regent - a complete wastrel.

Although George VI was reputed to get little crushes on sexy ladies he didn't act on them, and the Queen Mum found it rather funny and teased him about them.  He was an exemplary family man and a good king.  

I think Philip would be a nice nod to the current Philip but who really knows? I doubt they will stray too far off the beaten path but there are a few. I don't really like Arthur or Alfred. Prince Alfred makes me think of Queen Victoria's son, the alcoholic Duke of Coburg. 

As for hemophilia, Prince Leopold definitely lived much longer than the average man with hemophilia in those days because he was a prince. It was his lifestyle that kept him living so long. 

2 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Oh darn.  Sorry, that was a typo.  I meant George IV.  Prinny, Georgie Porgie, the Prince Regent - a complete wastrel.

Although George VI was reputed to get little crushes on sexy ladies he didn't act on them, and the Queen Mum found it rather funny and teased him about them.  He was an exemplary family man and a good king.  

Whew, you have no idea how relieved I am!  I was shocked, shocked I tell you, to think that what I did know of George VI might be all wrong! :pb_lol: Of course, I didn't know about his crushes...but hey, we all get crushes at one time or another, so that just endears him to me all the more, bless him.

Certainly no comparison, thankfully, to his predecessor the Prince Regent. What a silly, tasteless man he was. Although he did like Jane Austen, so I'll give him a slight bit of credit for that. :pb_smile:

@singsingsing I’m not sure how much influence the Queen would have on a Grandchild but apparently her son (or his wife) wanted Beatrice to be named Annabelle and she put a stop to it. I don’t know how true that story is though.

As much as I want to know the name, I think it would be respectful to wait until after ANZAC day to announce it. Also, Charles arrives home from France soon, so I think we’ll be waiting until after he visits the baby to hear this ‘strong’ name (I’d love to know what William thinks is a ‘weak’ name).

I’m guessing Frederick or Arthur, but hoping they choose something the bookies haven’t listed. Their top bets for George and Charlotte were James and Alice, from memory.

6 minutes ago, adidas said:

so I think we’ll be waiting until after he visits the baby to hear this ‘strong’ name (I’d love to know what William thinks is a ‘weak’ name).

I don't think that's what he said - I think the tabloids are misquoting him. My understanding was that he was referring to the name 'Jerry' when he said 'it's a strong name' (someone joked that a guy named Jerry wanted the baby named after him).

Archived