IGNORED

Royal Baby is a Boy

victoriasponge

43 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

Charlotte is Pippa's middle name. And Kate and her mother share the middle name Elizabeth which is one of Charlotte's--so her family is represented there. 

The Spencers were not pushed out so much as Diana did not have extremely close relationships with her parents partly due to the turmoil surrounding their divorce when she was young. She did remain in regular contact with her sisters throughout her life and spent time with them; it just wasn't anything reported by the press and then the idea that the royal family somehow took away those relationships became part of the poor, suffering Diana mythology. 

Diana was on better terms with Prince Charles than her brother Charles when she died. He refused to let her stay with him for a few days to escape to press intrusion after she split with Charles, she never forgave him. I'm sure he deeply regrets not letting her stay and them never making things right but it was hypocritical of him to slate the royals at her funeral when he was not supportive himself. Her mother and sisters were in her life though.

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Queen sincerely wished she could have been more present , tried to be as present as she could be given her duties and hours of Video footage show they did have plenty of family time. They weren’t near the absent parents the media likes to portray.Also  The upperclass child rearing practices of the day strikes people today as cold but it’s all they knew .

12 minutes ago, adidas said:

Someone sure did and it’s a really cute story! Her new Grandson Louis was born the day after the Prince so she placed a bet for him. 

https://www.9news.com.au/world/2018/04/28/01/00/royal-baby-louis-prince-bets-grandmother-wins-8000

That's so cute, and really nice that she's setting aside the money for her grandson!

I would imagine that the names Lewis and Louis historically have nothing to do with each other.  Lewis is probably Gaelic in origin like it is with the Isle of Lewis in the Outer Hebrides.  Most Harris tweed is made on Lewis and not the Isle of Harris. 

Lord Louis Mountbatten was the last Viceroy of India and the first governor-general of an independent India.  She was also the Supreme Allied Commander of the South East Asia Command during WWII.  His Wikipedia page already mentions the new baby prince.

13 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

I would imagine that the names Lewis and Louis historically have nothing to do with each other.  Lewis is probably Gaelic in origin like it is with the Isle of Lewis in the Outer Hebrides.  Most Harris tweed is made on Lewis and not the Isle of Harris. 

Nope, they actually have the exact same root! I believe Lewis is just an older/medieval English version of Louis. Both ultimately come from Ludwig (or whichever name Ludwig originally came from). Sorry to be annoying, nothing makes me geek out more than names! :pb_lol: And my great-grandfather's name was Lewis, which is why I randomly know this off the top of my head (I tend to pay a little more attention to my ancestors' names).

I come from a French background, so I always automatically think 'Lou-ee' when I see the name Louis. I actually like both pronunciations, though.

I'm more used to Lewis for Louis that's how every Louis I ever meant pronounced his name and Louie was the nickname he went by. And also that song Louie, Louie which I know have in my head. I've become more familiar with it pronounced the other way although it usually takes me a second or two to remember because the "is" always throws me off.  I usually remind myself by thinking of France and how their kings were always spelled that way but pronounced "Louie".  But now there's a Prince Louis I won't need to do that anymore.      

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 4:14 PM, anjulibai said:

It's been used a few times, going way back. George I was actually George Louis or Georg Ludwig. George III father was Frederick Louis/Lewis or Friedrich Ludwig.

Then Victoria's daughter Alice married a Louis/Ludwig. Their son was Ernest Louis/Ernst Ludwig. Her younger son had Louis as a middle name. 

Then Princess Helena used the Louis as a middle name for one of her sons. So did Princess Beatrice, who married one of the Battenburg brothers, Henry.

Henry's brother was Louis, who married Queen Victoria's granddaughter and Alice's daughter, Victoria. Their son was Louis Mounbatten and their daughter was Alice, Philip's mother. 

So, Louis has a lot of family history, it's just not been that prominent. 

Haven't finished reading the thread, but - Ludwig is the same name as Louis? I had no idea.

On 4/27/2018 at 9:48 AM, TheOneAndOnly said:

Now I'm going to have Brother Louie by Hot Chocolate playing in my head all day.

Same here, except it'll be the American version, done by Stories.

On 4/30/2018 at 10:22 AM, meee said:

Haven't finished reading the thread, but - Ludwig is the same name as Louis? I had no idea.

Yes, it is. Ludwig was latinized as Ludovicus, which was shorted in French to Louis. 

Name evolution is fascinating. 

When I hear the name Ludwig I think of this children's show

Spoiler

How do other Americans pronounce St. Louis? I've only heard it "St. Lewis" (other than in the song in the movie with Judy Garland), but I'm in California so I don't know if that's regional or not. Anyway, that could play a big part in why we might universally pronounce it differently. I think of Louie as a nickname for Louis, but not the way it's "properly" pronounced.

I was also really hoping for Arthur, but I think only because it reminds me of Arthur Weasley.

I live in Canada and we pronounce it as St. Lewis. 

However, Louis always been pronounced as Looie in Canada, or at least where I live. 

I was also rooting for Arthur, it's just such a nice name and makes me think of Prince Arthur, King Henry VIII's older brother who passed away too soon. I always wonder what history would have looked like if Arthur had lived. 

37 minutes ago, viii said:

I live in Canada and we pronounce it as St. Lewis. 

However, Louis always been pronounced as Looie in Canada, or at least where I live. 

I was also rooting for Arthur, it's just such a nice name and makes me think of Prince Arthur, King Henry VIII's older brother who passed away too soon. I always wonder what history would have looked like if Arthur had lived. 

Ten bucks says Anne Boleyn wouldn’t have been beheaded for adultery (among other charges) after Henry had their marriage declared invalid. 

(Seriously though. How could she have committed the crime of adultery if her marriage wasn’t even valid or legal? I’ve never gotten the logic behind that one.)

Well, to be fair, I do think Anne Boleyn wouldn't have been beheaded, but she would have probably been married to someone else and far away from Henry. I don't think she would have married him. 

I do wonder who he would have married, and I'm guessing he would have one, or two wives at the most. 

6 minutes ago, viii said:

Well, to be fair, I do think Anne Boleyn wouldn't have been beheaded, but she would have probably been married to someone else and far away from Henry. I don't think she would have married him. 

I do wonder who he would have married, and I'm guessing he would have one, or two wives at the most. 

Wasn’t Henry originally meant for the Church though? I thought I remembered reading that he was intended to join the Catholic Church, but I could be misremembering. 

Originally, yes, I do think there was talk of him joining the Church. (whether or not that's what he wanted I'm not sure) 

@VelociRapture @viii That's actually an old fable - Henry was never meant for the Church. It would have been next to unheard of, especially the king's second son (AKA his spare in case the first one died, which is exactly what happened). And Henry was created Duke of York at the age of 3, I believe, so that settles that. I'm actually not sure how or why the Church rumour got started, but it probably had something to do with how amusingly ironic it would have been.

That's good to know! I haven't done my extensive research into his youth yet, so that's pretty funny. I wonder how long ago the Church rumor got started, if it was something from around that time period or in recent times as something ironic. 

56 minutes ago, viii said:

That's good to know! I haven't done my extensive research into his youth yet, so that's pretty funny. I wonder how long ago the Church rumor got started, if it was something from around that time period or in recent times as something ironic. 

I'm kicking myself right now because I was just reading about this not that long ago, and they had at least a general source for the rumour, but now I can't remember it! I want to say it got started in the 1700s, but please don't quote me on that!

Winter King by Thomas Penn is a great book that covers the final years of Henry VII and thus the (early) youth of Henry VIII. I highly recommend it. It's not perfect but it's a wealth of great material and definitely one of the more readable history books I've encountered.

@singsingsing @viii That’s interesting. I looked it up and Henry was created Duke of York when he was, I believe, 3 or 5. So it would appear they had plans for him from a rather young age and those plans didn’t include the Church. 

Maybe it started because not much is known of his childhood? He was a second son so he wouldn’t have really been the focus of important people back then. That, plus his very religious Grandmother, may have contributed to the rumor beginning. 

So, I'm sick and bored and watching The Crown for the upteempth time, and I'm at the episode in season 2 when when Prince Andrew is born. The Queen is discussing the choice of a name with Princess Margaret and this is what is said:

PM: Thought of a name?

QE: Well, we briefly considered George, but then there's been too many of those, and anyway, no one could live up to Papa. 

PM: No. 

QE: And then we thought of Louis, but that was a bit too...

PM: Foreign.

QE: Mm. So we've decided on Andrew.

PM: Oh....

QE: After Philip's father.

PM: Yes, the bankrupt philanderer.

QE: Philip's father.

I know it's fiction and who knows what names were actually discussed at the time, but I thought this was funny in light of having a Prince George and and now a Prince Louis. Also funny after we discussed naming Andrew after Philip's father. 

I need to finish The Crown. I really enjoyed Season 1, but found the first episode of Season 2 to draaaag, and every time I go to watch the show, I wind up watching The Office instead, lol. 

It's definitely not as tight as the first season was, but it's interesting to watch he Queen evolve as sovereign as time goes on. She becomes increasingly more confident in herself and in her role as time goes on. She becomes increasingly unimpressed with her ministers, which is definitely an asset in a constitutional monarch. 

I also feel like I understand better why she's been more hands off in her family's lives as time has gone on. Her early attempts to be involved were difficult and caused such hard feelings. She was damned if she did, damned if she didn't, so she decided to let them be. It makes sense. 

Archived