IGNORED

Royal Baby is a Boy

victoriasponge

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

It won't be up to Harry.  The titles are in the control of the Monarch.

While technically true, the royal parent can ask the Queen not bestow HRH titles to their offspring. Prince Edward did this with his children, they are styled as Lady Louise Windsor and James, Viscount Serven, while Beatrice and Eugenie are both princesses and styled as HRHs. Yes, it’s ultimately up to the queen, but for those that have no chance of inheriting the throne, she seems to give deference to the wishes of her children as to what their children are styled as.  

1 minute ago, JenniferJuniper said:

I've made no such claim to knowing "the truth" unlike you who insisted it must be false, but you can google dressing ring and Victorian trousers if want details about upper class men and tight trousers.  Throw in Beau Brummel for good measure! 

Dude, relax. I said it was an urban legend with no basis in reality, which is exactly what it is. I pointed out multiple times for good measure that anything is possible and that pointing to the fact that it's an urban legend doesn't necessarily mean it was definitely false. We're talking about Victorian dick piercings for God's sake, it's really not a big deal. :pb_lol:

Just now, punkiepie said:

While technically true, the royal parent can ask the Queen not bestow HRH titles to their offspring. Prince Edward did this with his children, they are styled as Lady Louise Windsor and James, Viscount Serven, while Beatrice and Eugenie are both princesses and styled as HRHs. Yes, it’s ultimately up to the queen, but for those that have no chance of inheriting the throne, she seems to give deference to the wishes of her children as to what their children are styled as.  

I know. 

I've always taken my hat off to Anne for refusing titles for her children.

40 minutes ago, Glasgowghirl said:

Aparently when meeting Prince Charles, Spice Girl Geri Halliwell asked him if Prince Albert had a Prince Albert, Charles then asked Stephen Fry, who was also present what it meant and he awkwardly had to explain it's a Cockring.

I'm not a fan of Albert or any of the names in the running, apart from James. 

If this is true, I hope Charles has mentioned it to William and Kate. I really don’t like the thought of a poor baby Prince Albert, named with good intentions but unintentionally given a lifetime of raised eyebrows and smirks. But it’s not up to me, they’ll choose whatever they love and they’ve chosen gorgeous names so far. I hope they don’t repeat any names and use one already given to someone in the family (eg Edward, James, Philip) and they give the child his own unique name.

I also hope Charles doesn’t change his name. I like King Charles because of the dogs haha. Cavaliers are crazy but awesome. 

9 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

I know. 

Didn't her first husband also turn down a title?

I don’t think William and Kate are so out of touch that they don’t know what a Prince Albert is. 

And Charles changing his name was only a rumour. There are LOTS of those when it comes to the royals :pb_lol:

7 minutes ago, TuringMachine said:

Didn't her first husband also turn down a title?

Yep.  That would be Mark Phillips.  Sir Tim has also refused a peerage.  The knight thingie was for his service and is not hereditary.

Anne, Princess Royal, has always had her head on straight.  She doesn't want her children to be mere tourist attractions.  They can't escape all attention - but she did her best to set them free.  She lived it.  Why should they?

27 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

I know. 

I wonder how much of an option Charles or William would have had considering their places in the succession. If they had asked would the Queen have agreed not to give their children titles? Or did they kind of have to have titles?

Just now, VelociRapture said:

I wonder how much of an option Charles or William would have had considering their places in the succession. If they had asked would the Queen have agreed not to give their children titles? Or did they kind of have to have titles?

I immagine William and George really didn't have options, which would then make it weird to not have the others have titles.  If they didn't have titles would they be removed from the line of succession?

The name talk reminds me of William and Kate’s wedding, the contrast in names (William Arthur Philip Louis versus Catherine Elizabeth). Harry’s wedding will be weird because the vows will use Henry... plus Meghan is actually her middle name! It’ll probably confuse people if/when they say “Rachel Meghan”. 

Wonder if Henry will be in there somewhere... after all, if they used Edward as a middle name for Prince Andrew and then called their next kid Edward, it’s not outside the realm of possibility. 

3 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

Anne knew that under the old rules the line of succession was through the sons.  And their progeny.  

As to the titles and succession to the throne - they all have the option to take themselves out of the running.  It is interesting to observe who does, who doesn't, and the titles they grab for  aspire to for the children.

Edward (now Earl of Wessex) may have cut a deal.  It is rumored that he will get the Duke of Edinburgh title when Philip goes to Rainbow Bridge.  Duke of Edinburgh was somewhat invented for Philip anyway.

That is, Edward may get it if Philip kicks the bucket before the Queen shuffles off her mortal coil.  All bets are off if Charlie gets the crown before then.  Edward Wessex may be stuck with the Earldom.

I would like to see a name with a bit of an Old English nod, just because I think these Georgian names are a little played out.  Maybe an Edmund?  Alfred? Neville? Arthur? Edric? I mean sure they're a little bit old-fashioned, but it's not like the child won't have 5 other names to go by in informal settings, and I think they all sound lovely with titles.  I actually really like Edric and Edmund.  

I'd suggest Spencer, a nice, solid name AND a tribute to his well-remembered paternal grandmother, but I don't think it's traditional enough yet to make their list.    

Mind you, the name I REALLY want to see is Cnut, but I don't think we have any risk of that.

19 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Anne knew that under the old rules the line of succession was through the sons.  And their progeny.  

As to the titles and succession to the throne - they all have the option to take themselves out of the running.  It is interesting to observe who does, who doesn't, and the titles they grab for  aspire to for the children.

Edward (now Earl of Wessex) may have cut a deal.  It is rumored that he will get the Duke of Edinburgh title when Philip goes to Rainbow Bridge.  Duke of Edinburgh was somewhat invented for Philip anyway.

That is, Edward may get it if Philip kicks the bucket before the Queen shuffles off her mortal coil.  All bets are off if Charlie gets the crown before then.  Edward Wessex may be stuck with the Earldom.

I’ve only ever heard Rainbow Bridge used for animals, so now I’m sitting here and laughing as I’m imagining what the Royal Family would look like as dogs.

(The Queen is a Corgi, obviously. :pb_lol:)

19 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

The title of Duke of Edinburgh has been around a couple of times before Prince Phillip. I came across it yesterday while my mother and I were talking about how many sons Victoria had. When I googled it,  I found that she gave the Duke of Edinburgh title to her son Prince Alfred. And before that, George I created the title for his grandson, Prince Frederick (which I did not know til I googled again just now! :pb_eek:).  He in turn passed the title to his son Prince George, who became George III. At that point the title became extinct until Victoria resurrected it years later. 

So there have been four dukes of Edinburgh. And now I feel like I've really learned something, because my knowledge of British royalty after Elizabeth I is pretty darned spotty! :pb_lol:

22 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

I believe it's the Queen's wish that Edward get's the  Duke of Edinburgh title once Phillip passes away. Would Charles not honor his mother's wish / shaft his brother?

2 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

I’ve only ever heard Rainbow Bridge used for animals,

Prince Philip is the very best Corgie Lillibet ever owned.  Better than Susan. Have some respect here!

And bless Consorts Albert, Philip and Henrik of Denmark.  They all had problems with their roles.

4 minutes ago, Loveday said:

I came across it yesterday while my mother and I were talking about how many sons Victoria had. When I googled it,  I found that she gave the Duke of Edinburgh title to her son Prince Alfred.

Yes, but it is so way down the line when it comes to ancient titles.  

With all due respect to the city of Edinburgh, they could have given him York!

3 minutes ago, TuringMachine said:

I believe it's the Queen's wish that Edward get's the  Duke of Edinburgh title once Phillip passes away. Would Charles not honor his mother's wish / shaft his brother?

In a nano second.  Charlie is not a very nice person and is very insecure.

He might bow to public pressure because Eddie and Sophie are rather too popular these days.  But he will pout.

Charles is a brilliant pouter.

3 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

He might bow to public pressure because Eddie and Sophie are rather too popular these days.  But he will pout.

Haha. Good to know. I don't actually know much about Charles other than that he is not well liked. I was a wee bit too young to be aware of much during his divorce and Diana's death. 

6 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Isn't there some not so happy feelings between Edward/Sophie and Charles anyway? I recall something about Edward's company filming near William's university when he first started there. 

11 minutes ago, TuringMachine said:

From what I’ve read, if Charles is King when his father dies, the title of Duke of Edinburgh reverts to the crown. I’m fairly certain this means that Charles would thus also become the Duke of Edinburgh as well as being King. So it wouldn’t just be Charles giving Edward a new title belonging to no one, but rather he would have to be willing to forfeit his own new title to give to Edward. And I’ve never thought of Charles as willing to give up anything he thought should be his.  But I could be wrong. Also, I think the chances of Phillip outliving the Queen aren’t very great, so hopefully it will be a moot point. 

7 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Yes, but it is so way down the line when it comes to ancient titles.  

With all due respect to the city of Edinburgh, they could have given him York!

It is a rather obscure ancient title, isn't it? 

It is odd that Victoria didn't give her son York. That's traditionally been the title given to the second son of the monarch, as a general rule.

I keep forgetting that Prince Arthur was one of Victoria's sons as well. She had a theme; Albert, Alfred, Arthur, and then poor Leopold got the shaft. :P 

2 minutes ago, punkiepie said:

From what I’ve read, if Charles is King when his father dies, the title of Duke of Edinburgh reverts to the crown. I’m fairly certain this means that Charles would thus also become the Duke of Edinburgh as well as being King. So it wouldn’t just be Charles giving Edward a new title belonging to no one, but rather he would have to be willing to forfeit his own new title to give to Edward. And I’ve never thought of Charles as willing to give up anything he thought should be his.  But I could be wrong. Also, I think the chances of Phillip outliving the Queen aren’t very great, so hopefully it will be a moot point. 

He's going to have a shit load of new titles as King, would it really matter to him to have one more instead of giving it to his brother? 

From what I've read, no matter whether Charles is king or not when Philip dies, the Duke of Edinburgh title goes directly to Charles. Charles can then refuse it for himself and his male descendants, but then that means it would go to Andrew, not Edward. Andrew would then have to refuse it. 

Personally, I could see Charles being fine with giving up the Edinburgh title, but not Andrew. Andrew would be the one to be a dick about it. So, I wouldn't be surprised if Edward doesn't become Duke of Edinburgh right away, but not because Charles wants the title for himself. 

Andrew has no sons and Titles can’t pass through daughters. It will go to Edward and then to his son  if it goes to anyone. 

3 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

Andrew has no sons and Titles can’t pass through daughters. It will go to Edward and then to his son  if it goes to anyone. 

Right, but Andrew is still before Edward, so Andrew would still have to give it up, which I don't see, based on all I've read about Andrew. He's going to cause issues for the monarchy once the Queen has gone. He's already made it clear he's not happy with things Charles has tried to do. 

13 minutes ago, Loveday said:

It is a rather obscure ancient title, isn't it? 

It is odd that Victoria didn't give her son York. That's traditionally been the title given to the second son of the monarch, as a general rule.

She wanted a Scottish title for Alfred. Leopold also got a Scottish title (Duke of Albany was traditionally given to younger sons of Scottish kings) and Arthur got Connaught from Ireland and Strathearn from Scotland. Victoria loved Scotland and wanted to emphasize that she was Queen of multiple realms. 

Archived