IGNORED

Royal Baby is a Boy

victoriasponge

Edmund is a fine name not used in the last 300 years but then again it brings to mind Edmund Blackadder. Not an image that they are going for :)

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, justmissedquiver said:

I think that as lifespans increase, and especially if Harry and Meghan have three or more,  the name pool may also need to increase.

I’m not sure, but I think the further they are from ascending the throne, the less obligation they have to choose names from the pool. The story goes that Charles suggested the name Zara to his sister Anne because he knew he would never be able to use it, and that the chances of Anne’s daughter ever being on the throne were extremely slim. 

Having said that, it’s clear that Harry adores his Gran and would probably want to please her. So he and Megan might choose traditional names if they choose to have children.

Different note: this article says Charles is expected to meet the baby in the next few days. 

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.standard.co.uk/news/world/anzac-day-2018-prince-charles-puts-duty-first-at-remembrance-service-in-france-ahead-of-meeting-a3822926.html%3famp

Different note again- I think William and Kate will have another baby in a couple of years. 

15 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I don't think that's what he said - I think the tabloids are misquoting him. My understanding was that he was referring to the name 'Jerry' when he said 'it's a strong name' (someone joked that a guy named Jerry wanted the baby named after him).

Ah I haven’t read about the whole conversation. Thanks. 

Edit: you’re absolutely right. I just found this. Perhaps it’s Alexander. 

Audio is here, the Alexander part is before the Jerry bit. 

https://honey.nine.com.au/2018/04/25/22/45/prince-william-kate-middleton-duke-duchess-cambridge-royal-baby-name-hint

The Duke met with Sir Jerry Mateparae, New Zealand High Commissioner to the UK, and the Dean of Westminster, who joked about the eagerly anticipated name, saying: “Jerry would like it to be Jerry.”

Australian High Commissioner Alexander Downer also suggested Alexander, to which William said cryptically: “Funny you should say that....It’s a good name,”

35 minutes ago, adidas said:

I’m guessing Frederick or Arthur, but hoping they choose something the bookies haven’t listed. Their top bets for George and Charlotte were James and Alice, from memory.

George was the favourite name I remember, because I absolutely hated it and was hoping they'd go with something else. 

Alice was the favourite but 24 hours before she was born, Charlotte saw a 60% surge, which indicates that someone from the inside blabbed. 

And of course William would say Alexander is a good name - it's George's middle name. I'll be surprised if the baby is Alexander. 

I guessed George when I realized out of the recent King names it was the only not currently in use Edward, William, James and Charles were all in use in the immediate family. It would be kind of fun though if the went further back to Richard, Edmund or Edgar. Maybe its time for Ethelstan.  

"Edmund is a fine name not used in the last 300 years but ..."

All I can think of is the Edmund Fitgerald and the song by Gordon Lightfoot. If it were his name, I'd be doomed to singing that song every time I would hear the name.  Cheerful song too...:my_rolleyes:

"The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they called 'gitche gumee'
The lake, it is said, never gives up her dead...."

1 hour ago, adidas said:

Different note again- I think William and Kate will have another baby in a couple of years. 

I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking that.

32 minutes ago, WiseGirl said:

"Edmund is a fine name not used in the last 300 years but ..."

All I can think of is the Edmund Fitgerald and the song by Gordon Lightfoot. If it were his name, I'd be doomed to singing that song every time I would hear the name.  Cheerful song too...:my_rolleyes:

"The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they called 'gitche gumee'
The lake, it is said, never gives up her dead...."

...when the skies of November turn gloomy. Thanks, that's going to be in my head all day! :pb_lol:

re: them having another in a couple years. I'm kind of iffy. I feel like Kate would like another, but I got the impression, right or wrong, that William wasn't all that enthused about going for a third and maybe took some convincing. I could see him putting his foot down now and saying, "Nope, that's enough." Or maybe they will try to emulate the Queen by having four kids. It would be funny if they had boy-girl-boy-boy like she did, too.

I could see them being done with three, Kate loves to honor the almighty Carole, but a fourth wouldn’t surprise me either. 

Just throwing this out there, but I really think Prince Barack would be lovely. Because they’re such good friends with Obama of course. Not because it would piss off Trump or anything.

(Ok. It’s totally because it would piss Trump off and that makes my heart happy. :pb_lol:)

55 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

Just throwing this out there, but I really think Prince Barack would be lovely. Because they’re such good friends with Obama of course. Not because it would piss off Trump or anything.

(Ok. It’s totally because it would piss Trump off and that makes my heart happy. :pb_lol:)

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it won't be Prince Donald...though I guess the Trumps should be sending a gift anyway.

I wonder whether TT will be invited to and attend Prince Harry's wedding.

1 hour ago, VelociRapture said:

Justin Trudeau was over there a few days ago and I was joking that she'd have the baby while he was there and name it Prince Justin. And I mean, I think Justin gets dibs on the first name because the Queen is still our head of state and all. But Barack would make a nice middle name. Prince Justin Barack... Albert. :P 

37 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it won't be Prince Donald...though I guess the Trumps should be sending a gift anyway.

I wonder whether TT will be invited to and attend Prince Harry's wedding.

They aren’t inviting the Trumps. I think Heads of State are only invited if it’s the current monarch or direct heir getting married, but I’m not sure. I’m pretty sure that’s why Obama wasn’t present at William and Catherine’s wedding though.

They're not inviting any politicians. Even the British prime minister wasn't invited.

1 hour ago, Briefly said:

Isn't one of Prince Charles's middle names Phillip?

Yes. It's one of William's as well

For Reference, the full names of the current male descendants of the Queen:

Charles Philip Arthur George

Andrew Albert Christian Edward

Edward Antony Richard Louis

Peter Mark Andrew 

William Arthur Philip Louis

Henry Charles Albert David

James Alexander Philip Theo

George Alexander Louis

5 hours ago, JordynDarby5 said:

Maybe its time for Ethelstan.

I was just thinking Aethelred would be great. If they wanted to honour their Scottish connections they could always go Duncan... 

Or Kenneth or Michael. 

And because I'm bored and not wanting to go to bet yet, some other current male members of the House of Windsor:

Richard Alexander Walter George, Duke of Gloucester

Alexander Patrick Gregers Richard, his son

Xan Richard Anders, his grandson

BTW, the Duke of Gloucester's elder brother that died young was William Henry Andrew Frederick

Edward George Nicholas Paul Patrick, Duke of Kent

George Phillip Nicholas, his son

Edward Edmund Maximillian George, his grandson

Nicholas Charles Edward Jonathan, second son

Albert Louis Philip Edward, Leopold Ernest Augustus Guelph, Louis Arthur Nicholas Felix, his grandsons

Michael George Charles Franklin, younger brother of Duke of Kent

Frederick Michael George David Louis, his son. 

So lots of overlap there. Lots of possibilities. 

5 hours ago, WiseGirl said:

All I can think of is the Edmund Fitzgerald and the song by Gordon Lightfoot.

That is one song that makes me turn off the radio.  I cannot stand it.  

:kitty-cussing:

The royal family was pretty busy yesterday (Harry and Meghan attended a commemoration service etc), so I didn't expect the baby's name to be announced on that day.

Hoping it's today and curious about the name. :-)

Did anyone catch the news footage of poor William struggling to stay awake during the Anzac Day service? Bless him, he took time out of his paternity leave to show his respects. 

There was an excellent article about it. 

https://honey.nine.com.au/2018/04/26/12/33/prince-william-royal-baby-fatigue

3 hours ago, anjulibai said:

And because I'm bored and not wanting to go to bet yet, some other current male members of the House of Windsor:

Richard Alexander Walter George, Duke of Gloucester

Alexander Patrick Gregers Richard, his son

Xan Richard Anders, his grandson

BTW, the Duke of Gloucester's elder brother that died young was William Henry Andrew Frederick

Edward George Nicholas Paul Patrick, Duke of Kent

George Phillip Nicholas, his son

Edward Edmund Maximillian George, his grandson

Nicholas Charles Edward Jonathan, second son

Albert Louis Philip Edward, Leopold Ernest Augustus Guelph, Louis Arthur Nicholas Felix, his grandsons

Michael George Charles Franklin, younger brother of Duke of Kent

Frederick Michael George David Louis, his son. 

So lots of overlap there. Lots of possibilities. 

There are some great names in there. I would love it if they went totally unexpected with something like Felix or Theo. 

Does no one else think of Chronicles of Narnia with the name Edmund?? 

While the book was good, I think the movie's William Moseley (who played Peter Pevensie) was my sexual awakening. So I may have watched that movie a million times. :my_blush:

18 minutes ago, neurogirl said:

Does no one else think of Chronicles of Narnia with the name Edmund?? 

While the book was good, I think the movie's William Moseley (who played Peter Pevensie) was my sexual awakening. So I may have watched that movie a million times. :my_blush:

I also think of Edmund Pevensie!

As far as William Moseley, I was 34 or 35 when the first movie came out, so I never saw him in any romantic or sexual way. I remember other movies with guys that did have that kind of an effect on me, though!

@WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? I was in late middle school and the peak of boy crazy. Except not any real life boys because they were scary lol. Also I watched the movie with my church youth group, and as I was a Good Christian Girl (TM), I was obviously saving myself for marriage (nope) and could only set my sights on Good Christian Boys. So William Moseley/Peter Pevensie and David Archuleta were my go-to for a while. And then I discovered Matt Bomer, Ryan Gosling, and Chris Hemsworth. But anyway...Edmund only makes me think of whiny-overlooked-abandon his family-younger Pevensie bro. 

Darn it Kensington Palace. I got so excited to see 3 new tweets and while I’m very happy that Harry has asked William to be his best man and William has accepted, JUST TELL US THE BABY’S NAME!

Archived