IGNORED

Royal Baby is a Boy

victoriasponge

LOLLLLLLL the idea of Carole knowing what a Prince Albert is.... 

It appears that no one can understand what William is saying, because now Alexander is the most popular choice 2-1 for bookies. I really doubt they're going to name the baby Alexander... he was saying it's a good name BECAUSE of George. 

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They could  just call him Bertie and he would be forever that like Henry had always been Harry and most people don’t  Even know realize it’s not his real name

Just now, tabitha2 said:

They could  just call him Bertie and he would be forever that like Henry had always been Harry and most people don’t  Even know realize it’s not his real name

They could, but while Harry seems like a normal name for a grown person, Bertie just seems way too juvenile. Imagine having to go by 'Prince Bertie' in your 50s because your full name is the name of a genital piercing...

And yes I seem to be most focused on the nick name because all royals seem to have a nick name. The queen’s dad is Bertie, William is Wills, and Harry is Harry (never Henry). 

Apparently Prince Albert's real first name was Francis? Why don't they go with Francis? It's her dad's middle name too, isn't it? Francis isn't my favourite name in the world, but Prince Francis is far and away better than Prince Albert!

Really, Albert would be hands down the best choice (in my opinion) if it weren't for the unfortunate connotations. Ugh. I mean, like I said, I guess it's not the worst thing in the world, but if I were them I'd definitely relegate it to middle name status.

14 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I'm really hoping the delay is because they had settled on Prince Albert, but then Eugenie or someone came over to meet the kid and was like, "Wait, PRINCE ALBERT? Like the piercing??" And now they're scrambling to find something else. I don't know why I'm impugning Eugenie in this, maybe it was Carole Middleton. :pb_lol:

Most likely it was Harry! 

I really hope they don't go with Albert. For a variety of reasons, but that's the main one. 

Francis would be a great name, it would honor Kate's side of the family and still fulfill the 'traditional' role. 

4 hours ago, TheOneAndOnly said:

How 'bout Spurgeon Elliot Windsor? His Royal Highness, Prince Spurgeon.

Yeah okay. That was awful. I'll see myself out.

If that makes it to the top of the list, I WILL HAVE SUGGESTED IT FIRST. :special-snowflake1::pb_lol:

3 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

And he was very nasty to Princess Alice who is one of my absolute favorite royals.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Alice_of_Battenberg

They decided that x-raying her ovaries would cure her schizophrenia?! Say what now?! Did they actually do this?

It does say she recovered from her schizophrenia. I find that extremely interesting as I’ve not heard of many people having a complete recovery. 

She was also deaf and learned to speak and read lips in several different languages! I can’t imagine how difficult that was. My family had many deaf people in the 1800s, early 1900s but they were not taught any language, no sign languages, nothing. They lived simple lives and often were considered mentally deficient. So freaking sad! It makes me wonder why it was assumed they could not learn language. The women folk were married off and did have many children. (How scary would that have been!?) The men not so much. It was hereditary deafness that continued in several offspring in each generation for a very long time. 

Oh geez. The fact that there is a route for `prince-albert` is pretty compelling. I really hope they don't name the poor kid that :tw_grimace:

Perhaps the baby will be Prince Albert Michael David, and they'll call him Michael or something... seems unlikely given the page but gah. I just can't believe that Prince Albert is a viable option, I always brushed it off as a joke. 

3 minutes ago, Godless Slūt said:

It does say she recovered from her schizophrenia. I find that extremely interesting as I’ve not heard of many people having a complete recovery. 

It really wasn't unusual for men to stick problem or inconvenient wives in mental hospitals back then.  Or to commit single mothers to asylums for moral sins.  Alice supposedly heard voices and was undoubtedly eccentric but I doubt she was schizophrenic.

Ah, the good old days.

6 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Alice supposedly heard voices

Doesn’t everyone? I just call it brain chatter... 

And this might be total ignorance on my part, please forgive me if it is, but how does a deaf person hear voices? 

20 minutes ago, viii said:

I just can't believe that Prince Albert is a viable option, I always brushed it off as a joke. 

Prince Albert supposedly did have a Prince Albert.  And not the kind in a can. 

9 minutes ago, Godless Slūt said:

And this might be total ignorance on my part, please forgive me if it is, but how does a deaf person hear voices? 

:D  Or, as John Shrader once asked poetically:  "How can the blinded hear?"

She heard them In her head.   The voices were divine and bypassed her ears.  

If we were to involuntarily commit every person who heard divine voices there would be far fewer Fundies and TV preachers running loose.  And infinitely fewer Catholic saints.

There are also a lot of issues that could cause a person to hear voices that aren't schizophrenia. Severe major depressive disorder, for example, or PTSD. 

2 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

There are also a lot of issues that could cause a person to hear voices that aren't schizophrenia. Severe major depressive disorder, for example, or PTSD. 

Given what went on in Princess Alice's life - PTSD is very likely.

8 minutes ago, JenniferJuniper said:

Prince Albert supposedly did have a Prince Albert.  And not the kind in a can. 

I am NOT going to google this! Do you suppose he was the actual originator? Or he was just the first famous person? Lol nevermind I really am not prepared for this train of thought right now! 

:TrainWreckMotion:

11 minutes ago, JenniferJuniper said:

And not the kind in a can. 

I haven't heard that joke in years!

I heard many fashionable  men had them to somehow make their tight breeches fit better. I don’t see how this would work but whatever. 

I don’t know. Despite what the article claims, you actually can access the pages for Prince George and Princess Charlotte:

https://www.royal.uk/prince-george-0

https://www.royal.uk/princess-charlotte-0

If you replace “George” with “Albert” it takes you to a page about Queen Victoria’s husband:

https://www.royal.uk/prince-albert-0

Its possible that they picked Albert and gave it away accidentally, but I just have trouble believing that someone would be that careless. 

Bear in mind that kings/queens often choose "regnal names" rather like Popes do, so whilst the Queen's dad was called Albert at birth he reigned as King George VI. It's been rumoured that Prince Charles may choose a regnal name that isn't Charles (I assume it's something to do with the previous King Charleses but my royal history isn't brilliant). In fact, I was looking up the Queen earlier and apparently, when she was asked what regnal name she would use, she said she'd stick with Elizabeth.

They may use Frederick (as a nod to the Queen's father) or Philip in there somewhere. 

I have to say, when Charlotte's name was released I was entirely unsurprised. Elizabeth is a very popular middle name anyway, and Diana was a shoo-in. 

Oh come on, Will and Kate.  Enough already!

Anzac Day is over!  Spill the beans.  He's Boris, isn't he?

And you sent the nanny out to place a bet by proxy on Boris so you could clean up! 

Archived