IGNORED

Joy and Austin: 248 Days Since the Wedding and Still Counting

Coconut Flan

12 hours ago, freedom_for_all said:

Random parenting tip from a slightly drunk twenty something (don’t worry, I’m legal and it’s friday!). Make sure your kids know what you are telling them not to do. When I was knee high to a grasshopper my parents would always tell me to stop whining. Did I know what whining was? Nope, still don’t really get it. I would try to ask them but since they were already in “parenting” mode they never really answered that question. I was a very verbal kid with an advanced vocabulary so it isn’t out of the realm of possibility that I could know what whining was at three, four, five years old. I just didn’t. 

I’ve told both my parents this story because I think it’s super silly and they have both separately said they had no idea and it makes them tear up realizing that. As a strong willed verbal kid who is as well behaved basically all my scoldings had to do with whining so I think they felt bad that I had no idea what that was. 

Side note: what is whining

I had the exact same experience as a kid!  I am super literal-minded (thanks dad for the proofreader brain, it comes in very handy but this is definitely a downside) and when mom told me to stop whining, I didn't know what that meant.  I have a vague memory that I asked what it was and she answered something like "when you sound like this" and then copied me, but still not in a way I understood.  "you want me to stop talking?   to stop talking while I'm crying?  What?"  I don't know how I eventually figured it out.  PS whining is when you have that really squeaky sound in your voice, so instead of asking "but why?"  it comes out "but whyyyyyyyyy?"

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I was a child (no, it was not in the dark medieval), we only had one TV channel, and it didn’t start airing until 6 p.m. Then it was 30 min children’s series, before the boring adult programs started. We didn’t have two channels before I was a teen.

Jinger is in Arkansas...I wonder if it's because Joy had the baby.

(I'm aware this is wild speculation and it's 99% more likely she's just filming for the show or visiting for no reason.)

11 minutes ago, zygote373 said:

(I'm aware this is wild speculation and it's 99% more likely she's just filming for the show or visiting for no reason.)

Is that where she was flying to yesterday? I would think if she flew commercial it was pre-planned, and not baby related. Maybe they are having a birthday party for Henry?

14 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Is that where she was flying to yesterday? I would think if she flew commercial it was pre-planned, and not baby related. Maybe they are having a birthday party for Henry?

Yeah, she posted a picture on instagram with some of her sisters with the caption "visiting the family". So unless she's pulling a Duggar and posting a latergram without saying so, I think she's in Arkansas.

Good point about the commercial flight. I'm always forgetting about their planes. A birthday party for Henry is a great guess.

My oldest son loved PBS kids shows like Clifford and Sesame Street. Around 6 years old he also developed an intense fascination with the shows that followed them in the afternoon, like Last of the Summer Wine and Keeping Up Appearances. :my_smile: He’s autistic and has always had some unique interests. He learned his letters before he was 2 and loved to watch Wheel of Fortune to see the letters pop up on the tv screen.

Middle son was really into Nick Jr. shows like Dora the Explorer and Go Diego, Go and he also loved Sid the Science Kid. For the longest time, youngest son was obsessed with the devil that is Caillou. He also loved Sesame Street, SuperWhy, and Paw Patrol. His current obsessions are Transformers and Thundercats as well as anything having to do with pirates. 

We’ve always tried to strike a balance when it comes to screen time. They’ve been allowed to watch tv since they were toddlers, but were/are also encouraged to play outside, read books, or play with their toys. Thankfully, that’s worked for us.

48 minutes ago, Rosalie said:

When I was a child (no, it was not in the dark medieval), we only had one TV channel, and it didn’t start airing until 6 p.m. Then it was 30 min children’s series, before the boring adult programs started. We didn’t have two channels before I was a teen.

When I was a kid, we didn't have a TV until I was around 12 years old.  My dad thought watching TV would turn brains to mush.  My grandma moved in and gave us her old black and white set.  We got five channels.  Every station signed off at midnight.  To change the channel, you had to get up and walk to the TV. At one point, the knob came off and we had to use pliers to change the channel!  So funny to remember that now.

58 minutes ago, zygote373 said:

Phfff it's so Jinger, Kendra, Joy, AND Jessa can all get a bump picture! :P Before Joy pops! 

4 hours ago, EmmieJ said:

When I was a kid, we didn't have a TV until I was around 12 years old.  My dad thought watching TV would turn brains to mush.  My grandma moved in and gave us her old black and white set.  We got five channels.  Every station signed off at midnight.  To change the channel, you had to get up and walk to the TV. At one point, the knob came off and we had to use pliers to change the channel!  So funny to remember that now.

Ooooo! Good old memories!

At birthdays, when we were 9-ish years and a few years older, it was popular with movie and popcorn, but noone had VCR-player at home, so we rented moviebox together with the movie we wanted to see. At the gas station/garage/kiosk/cafe. Yes, I grew up in the more rural parts of Norway.

When I was a child I remember six TV channels - the three major networks, two local channels, and PBS.  We watched cartoons Saturday morning, kid shows after school, game shows, and sitcoms starting at 8.  Had to get up and turn the knob to turn the channel.  I remember watching Neil Armstrong walk onto the moon - it was fuzzy, but amazing.

23 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Did no one like Thomas the Tank Engine?

I wasn't ever into Thomas, but for a brief time there was a similar show called "Theodore the tugboat" on PBS that I loved. PBS was a pretty popular TV station in our house when I was little, but I wasn't a major fan of Sesame Street, mainly because I would get bored during it, even though I had an abnormally long attention span when I was very little 

One channel in my childhood. BBC, Andy Pandy, Bill and Ben, Woodentops, then things for older children at 5 pm. We were quite deprived. :violin:

I loved watching Kipper and Rolie Polie Olie with my kids.  I'm still a huge Mr. Rogers fan, too.

I also watched Captain Kangaroo and Romper Room. Besides Sesame Street, I also remember New Zoo Review. My younger sister also occasionally got to see The Great Space Coaster and Barnaby.

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

One channel in my childhood. BBC, Andy Pandy, Bill and Ben, Woodentops, then things for older children at 5 pm. We were quite deprived. :violin:

I lived in a regional area that got two channels consistently and a third if the wind blew in the right direction. My parents wouldn't let us watch the 'commercial' channel, so I watched the ABC kids programs... which included Bill and Ben at that stage - and no programs at all when the cricket was on (effing cricket!) I still love PlaySchool and watched it with my child (he liked the bits with kids doing stuff and ignored the rest),  and he was very into In The Night Garden for ages - is it just me or are there a lot of very strange UK kids programs? ITNG was apparently developed by child psychologists, but watching as an adult I kept cracking up imagining Derek Jacobi (the narrator) getting the script and opening up another bottle of whisky...

My parents refused to get cable until I was in my last year of school so I only watched CBBC and CITV after school and on weekends and school holidays. I thank them for that now because I went outside after the shows had finished at 5.30. The shows in the 90s and early 00s were good. I loved Arthur, Mona the Vampire, Art Attack, Grange Hill both the modern ones and the vintage ones repeated on Sundays, Byker Grove and Rugrats. Some of the American and Australian imports were good too I liked Keenan and Kel, Lizzie McGuire and Round the Twist.

I had a love/hate relationship with satellite TV when my kids were young.  It was great  for rainy days bitter cold days, of which there are many here in the midwest, there was ALWAYS something on to occupy the kids for part of the day. But there was always something on so as they got older, especially with my son, it was hard to get them away from the TV.  Since I was a SAHM there wasn't daycare and other kids all day to occupy them.  

Boobahs..that is all

Spoiler

2eb1693ed4e7055609347cea531dec6e.png

Spoiler

On 2/10/2018 at 6:43 AM, singsingsing said:

Background noise sources that aren't the TV: music, podcasts, audiobooks. 

Strangely enough, all three of these are anything but "background" for me.  If I put music or audiobooks/podcasts on I become intensely focused on it.  About the only exception to this is some forms of talk radio, I think it's similar enough to the tv that I can push it back in my mind and continue to work around the house like normal.  I'm always so jealous of people that say they get up on the weekends, put on their favorite tunes, and get all their cleaning done.  That sounds so fun to me, but I cannot do it! However, the Olympics in the background are really working for me this weekend!

I'm loving all these children's programming suggestions!  Does anyone remember a couple of early Nickelodeon shows, one was called Today's Special, I think, and the other something like Flight of the Golden Condor?  Today's Special was about a mannequin that when he took off his hat (or put it on, I can't remember) he became alive?  Flight of the Golden Condor was a cartoon about two kids that flew around in a golden condor bird/plane and had special medallions that opened the 7 Lost Cities of Gold.  

Maybe I was a weird kid? (Well, yeah, I was, but...) No cable, but older brothers.  I remember watching cartoons Saturday mornings and endless reruns of Gilligan's Island and A-Team on school vacations.

4 minutes ago, NotQuiteMotY said:

Maybe I was a weird kid? (Well, yeah, I was, but...) No cable, but older brothers.  I remember watching cartoons Saturday mornings and endless reruns of Gilligan's Island and A-Team on school vacations.

I got Gilligans and Mary Ann’s autograph when I was about 6 :)

11 minutes ago, Melbelle said:

Does anyone remember a couple of early Nickelodeon shows, one was called Today's Special, I think, and the other something like Flight of the Golden Condor?  Today's Special was about a mannequin that when he took off his hat (or put it on, I can't remember) he became alive?  Flight of the Golden Condor was a cartoon about two kids that flew around in a golden condor bird/plane and had special medallions that opened the 7 Lost Cities of Gold.  

Oh my yes! I watched Pinwheel House( which I found much more fun the Sesame Street  )  You Cant Do That on Television and  Flight if the Condor, with  Bell and Sebastion and David The Gnome and some show I can’t remember the title of about a little koala being my absolute favorites .

I have said this before. My favorite show as a kid was The Magic Garden. It was only on in the NY/NJ area. The 2 women who did the show are still the best of friends. I also liked Seasme Steet and Mr Rodgers. 

7 minutes ago, Jana814 said:

I have said this before. My favorite show as a kid was The Magic Garden. It was only on in the NY/NJ area. The 2 women who did the show are still the best of friends. I also liked Seasme Steet and Mr Rodgers. 

I liked Mr. Rogers. I tried to watch Daniel Tiger when it first started and hated it lol. O have a new baby again so maybe I'm try again eventually.

My kid got a personalized autograph  from Mr. McFeely not too long ago! :-)  I still think that's cool as shit lol!

TV wise, I've been thru 3 kids, and plenty of tv. My oldest is Autistic. We have obsessive periods and his first one was Thomas. Omgosh did I watch every Thomas the Tank that ever was, including but not limited to Sunnytime Station.  My middle child, she isn't much for tv and really never has been, but my youngest loves movies. ET being his favorite. I cannot stand Caillou. That bald shit makes me want to punch, well pretty much anything.

Punishment wise, I was pretty much beaten. I lived the fundy life as a child and had times when I was beat. I remember once my mom was beating me with a wooden spoon, and it broke on me, and I laughed.  We then had a mommy dearest moment with wire hangers.Am I okay? Nah, not about that. Am I good with my mom? Yeah, I honestly think she is regretful about that. I don't spank my kids, nor do I have any plans to.

Am I the only one that is like, aw, Jinger went to visit her family, and I don't care? Yeah honestly I don't care but I do hope that every pregnant female in that family lines up for a belly pic and that Jessa makes that obnoxious face that she does, because it makes me giggle.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived