IGNORED

Joy and Austin: 248 Days Since the Wedding and Still Counting

Coconut Flan

3 hours ago, Bugaboo said:

Anybody else think Joy won't be able to decide on a name, like she couldn't choose a wedding dress, or how to wear her hair, or if she should wear a veil. She will probably say to Austin, "what do YOU want to name it?"

That's what she's been taught to do. Women are not allowed to have independent thoughts in their cult. Her husband is the headship.

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, QuotingProverbs said:

Daniel is a cute enough show for kids, but I've been impressed with Super Why and In the Night Garden.  Super Why because my year old grandson was responding to it and as he got older, he recognized letters and would call them out to the TV when asked.  Night Garden because, on an adult level, it is hilarious.  Certainly makes me wonder what the creators were doing while they put the show together.

And that's my first ever post.  G'day to y'all (and no, I never say y'all in real life).

Welcome and YES, we love Super Why in our house! I've never heard of In The Night Garden though.

We don't have cable so the only kids' shows my daughter sees are the ones on PBS. I find most PBS Kids shows are bearable. Of course my favorite is Arthur because that's basically my childhood, but the rest are decent with the exception of Caillou. Lucky for me we get two PBS channels, one plays kid shows until about 6 PM, the other plays kids' shows 24/7. One of them doesn't seem to show Caillou, at least not during any time we've watched. So it's easy to avoid him!

I loved In The Night Garden. Worked wonders for my niece. Theme song makes me emotional for her younger years, and she's not even 8 years old. :my_blush:

I loved Mr Dressup growing up.  :my_heart:

My kids watch Disney jr. and movies mostly. I like the Disney jr shows for the most part and they have some good messages and issues that we can talk about together. I especially like Doc McStuffins. The only one I cant stand is PJ Masks. My kids tease me with it. But mostly the TV is more background for us during the day and its not often that they are focused on it. 

2 hours ago, Sky with diamonds said:

I loved Mr Dressup growing up.  :my_heart:

Ah, yes, Mr. Dressup was awesome.  When my grandchildren started watching tv, I was amazed how much cartoons had changed.  The senseless violence was gone, replaced with superheroes "with the power to spell".  My initial reaction was that they were nerdy but I soon grew to appreciate the new shows, and now I can't remember why we all used to giggle at cartoons where the characters kept getting hurt.  

My kids were really into Sesame Street, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Jake and the Neverland Pirates, and Chuggington.  My oldest went through a brief Curious George phase, but we had to stop watching because he stopped talking and started pointing and squeaking like George.

Then they started watching the live action Disney shows: Jesse, Good Luck Charlie.  I enjoyed those.

Now that they’re a little bit older, they are obsessed with Teen Titans Go on Cartoon Network.  It’s the strangest show.  Their TV time is limited by school, homework, sports, etc plus I don’t let them watch an hour before bedtime, but it seems like that’s all they watch when they actually do get TV time.  It is so weird. 

7 hours ago, Jenn The Heathen said:

he stopped talking and started pointing and squeaking like George.

OMG - this made me laugh OUT LOUD!!!

Does anyone else  remember a short lived PBS show called Sagwa the  Chinese Siamese cat? though that was the cutest most educational  show with its family of Chinese cats! 

36 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

OMG - this made me laugh OUT LOUD!!!

Now I can laugh about it, but back when it happened I was freaking out that letting my toddler watch a little bit of TV every day had turned him into a mute.  It was really cute and funny, in hindsight.

Super Why is cute.

The show I actually really liked that my kids used to watch was Yo Gabba Gabba. It was pretty out there but they often had special guests that were actors or singers that I'd know. They always used these cute songs as lessons. 

Showing my kids ages, we had Bear & the Big Blue House, Rollie Pollie Ollie, Veggie Tales, this was my son, my daughter never cared for cartoon tv and didn't watch any really until she was into Hannah Montana, Wizzards of Waverly Place, The Suite Life of Zach & Cody.  DS loved Fairly Odd Parents, Chowder and of course both loved Sponge Bob.  I LOATH Sponge Bob.

A little late to the Pearls' discussion--it actually made me cry.  It is unbelievable to me that anyone could do this to a child---to their own child---on purpose, deliberately---and that the law allows it.  If I hit someone else's child at the grocery store because they didn't obey me when I asked them to move out of my way or wouldn't stop crying, I imagine that I'd be arrested.  Why is it acceptable when the child's parent do the same thing?

For the record, if you are a non-parent and don't have much experience with babies, this is what a 4-month old baby looks like (I randomly picked one from Google Image.)

four-month-old-baby-development1.jpg

Spoiler

@tabitha2 I watched Sagwa with my kids. I loved that show! I still remember the theme song. "Sagwa you're my best friend!" And the Sleeve Dogs, lol!

12 hours ago, MsSaylor said:

My kids watch Disney jr. and movies mostly. I like the Disney jr shows for the most part and they have some good messages and issues that we can talk about together. I especially like Doc McStuffins. The only one I cant stand is PJ Masks. My kids tease me with it. But mostly the TV is more background for us during the day and its not often that they are focused on it. 

That’s how we are with tv right now too. I either have the tv on or I play music on my phone for background noise because it’s too quiet otherwise (which is weird because I used to love the quiet - now it feels weird if we’re all awake and it’s too quiet.) Velocibaby will focus on the show for a few seconds (longer if the theme song is playing), but then she’ll go right back to wandering around and causing mischief. The shows are mostly Daniel Tiger or Food Network or old cartoons available for free through On Demand, like Rugrats - so stuff that’s mostly pretty age appropriate that I enjoy too. 

3 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

Does anyone else  remember a short lived PBS show called Sagwa the  Chinese Siamese cat? though that was the cutest most educational  show with its family of Chinese cats! 

I loved Sagwa!!! I’m pretty sure PBS used to do an animated version of Brian Jacques’ “Redwall” books too. My siblings and I loved that show and we LOVED the books.

27 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

That’s how we are with tv right now too. I either have the tv on or I play music on my phone for background noise because it’s too quiet otherwise (which is weird because I used to love the quiet - now it feels weird if we’re all awake and it’s too quiet.) 

Just wait, you'll love the quiet again!! haha.. with two kids that are LOUD, man, when they aren't home and I am by myself, there is no other sound in the house, it's fantastic.

My house is always quiet when I'm home alone. In the winter, the only sound is the boiler pump, and in the summer, the air conditioning. 

Cant stand quiet! I totally need like 12 things going on around me at once! Right now Im working on my sons valentines and box thingie, intermittedly on FJ, texting, tv on, babysitting dolls and just doled out some m&ms. And trying to think of what else I can do. 

2 minutes ago, MsSaylor said:

Cant stand quiet! I totally need like 12 things going on around me at once! Right now Im working on my sons valentines and box thingie, intermittedly on FJ, texting, tv on, babysitting dolls and just doled out some m&ms. And trying to think of what else I can do. 

My brain is an amusement park... lol  There's always SO MUCH going on inside it that I don't need the external stimuli. hahahahha

7 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

My brain is an amusement park... lol  There's always SO MUCH going on inside it that I don't need the external stimuli. hahahahha

Funny, I think that's why I do need external stimuli... to give my brain something to focus on besides all the stuff that's going on inside it. :P 

My oldest watched, Yo Gabba Gabba, Wow Wow wubzi (hated it), Scooby Doo, She Ra, and sponge bob. She would want to listed to Moves like Jagger all time.

Youngest loved Bubble Guppies. Now she is obsessed with everything frozen, my little pony, Barbie and Scooby doo.

3 hours ago, Shadoewolf said:

Youngest liked Team Umi Zoomi for a long time. Now he likes Teen Titans Go and Fairly Oddparents. 

Teen Titans Go drives me insane because I loved the comics and the old show that was on in the early-mid 2000's. TTG is so stupid in comparison. 

3 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Showing my kids ages, we had Bear & the Big Blue House, Rollie Pollie Ollie, Veggie Tales, this was my son, my daughter never cared for cartoon tv and didn't watch any really until she was into Hannah Montana, Wizzards of Waverly Place, The Suite Life of Zach & Cody.  DS loved Fairly Odd Parents, Chowder and of course both loved Sponge Bob.  I LOATH Sponge Bob.

Your kids must be around my age. I watched all of those shows! Along with Sagwa, the Chinese Siamese Cat that someone mentioned above :D

1 hour ago, singsingsing said:

Funny, I think that's why I do need external stimuli... to give my brain something to focus on besides all the stuff that's going on inside it. :P 

I'm sort of the same, but because of my hearing issues, I can only stand ONE source of sound at a time, I HATE back ground music or chatter because I can't hear it and then I'm trying to understand what I'm hearing then I miss something I need to hear. So I'm a headphones kind of girl, plug myself in and then I can get shit done.

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 2:39 PM, shock928 said:

In light of the Michael Pearl talk - I am just deeply disturbed. Thankyou to Jellybean for the Patheos link and Mizandry for the book link. I read all of the Patheos reviews - and also watched most the the Pearl interviews. So, I decided to do a little experiment. I decided that I would write down a normal day in my life of being a middle class stay at home mom - a home without any spankings or rods. And just for a little background I also believe in God - but I don’t believe he wants me to use a rod and I consider Jesus to be loving and peaceful. 

For this I will use: C1 (first child, 3 years, 4 months old) C2 (second child, 2 years, 4 months old) C3 (third child, 1 year 3 months old) C2 has developmental delays and Sensory Processing Disorder he is also non-verbal to put it into context.

When I witnessed an occurrence of “disobeying,” according to what I read from the Pearl’s method I will write POS (heh, heh) Pearl Obedience Spanking.

In total they are suggesting 20 different swats/spankings and that’s only if I only swatted once per incident. It makes me want to cry. These teachings are wrong on every level and I'm not surprised some of their "followers" abused their kids and even killed them. It makes me sick.

Just reading this - and all the swatting etc made me tired. Like the poor kids would have gotten nothing but swats from sun up to sun down.

(fully admit I did once hose my poopy kid off in the backyard - but it was July/August and he thought it was hysterical - and we'd been outside when he pooped so it just made sense)

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived