IGNORED

Joy and Austin: 248 Days Since the Wedding and Still Counting

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, SweetJuly said:

I think the consensus was something around mid-February.

Personally, I am ready for this baby to be born!

Curious about the sex (not gender!) and name :popcorn:

I'm thinking it'll be a girl because I can't figure out why else they'd wait to announce, except to build suspense for the first Duggar daughter having a daughter. 

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, VelociRapture said:

*For those who don’t know, Daniel Tiger is an animated show aimed at preschoolers. It was created by the Fred Rogers Foundation (the man who starred on “Mr. Roger’s Neighborhood”) and it’s actually a really great show that teaches tolerance, acceptance, and how to handle big feelings or problems. There are some little winks to Mr. Roger’s neighborhood - like part of the theme song and Daniel taking off his shoes and unzipping his sweater at the end of each episode. I highly recommend it to parents of toddlers, especially because it airs on PBS (meaning no commercials trying to sell your kid stuff!)

My two nieces and my nephew are obsessed with Daniel Tiger. I've watched episodes with them and it's actually really fantastic. It has good teachings, catchy songs, and is all around a fun show. I don't find it irritating like other kid shows. 

Although sometimes the songs get stuck in your head and YOU CANT GET THEM OUT. "little bit of this and a little bit of that, we gotta try new foods because it might taste gooood"... ugh. 

1 hour ago, VelociRapture said:

(Snip)

ETA: I feel like DT has been great for me as a parent too. I’m not the most patient person and I can have a bit of a short temper at times, but Daniel’s parents and the other adults are always portrayed as being very calm and patient. When I start getting frustrated or angry, I try to remember things they’d say on the show to the kids and I say those things too - like, “I see you’re very upset and that’s ok” or “It’s ok to feel sad sometimes. Little by little you’ll feel better again.” That kind of stuff helps me feel a lot better because I feel more in control of the situation - and I think that, in turn, helps my daughter feel safer and calmer faster.  

Your description of Daniel Tiger and the effect it’s had on your parenting is just lovely! You’re so good with words.

I have more to say:

1. I read your post too fast the first time and thought DT was referring to POTUS. I’m very glad it wasn’t and hope that you never base your parenting on things you learn from the Cheeto Benito
  2. I love positive parenting and emotional coaching as you described it
  3. Blog recommendation: www.TeacherTomsBlog.blogspot.com - Teacher Tom blogs pretty much every day about teaching preschoolers at a play-based cooperative preschool in Seattle. He writes a lot about emotional coaching, helping children to learn, conflict resolution, and lots of other things. If I were a parent, the blog would be my skills manual!
  4. That’s all

I also find myself repeating Daniel tiger! That's so awesome how you use it to the benefit of your child. :) I use "When you have to go potty stop! And go right away flush and wash and be on your way!" Another that works fantastic is Daniels calm down for bedtime song, "It's time to sleep the day is done, lets count down to calm down...five, four three two one." I put that one on at bedtime and I'll be damned! I looked over and they had snuggled up ready for sleep time. Lol it worked! Sometimes I use countdown to calm down when they are mad too.

but the songs will get stuck in your head. One day I was driving the kids, and I started singing, "You are my friend you are special..." And from the backseat my oldest (3) starts yelling, "SHH QUIET NO SING, No special song!" I burst out laughing... Guess it sticks in kids heads too. Lmao

1 hour ago, Skeptic said:

I'm thinking it'll be a girl because I can't figure out why else they'd wait to announce, except to build suspense for the first Duggar daughter having a daughter. 

I’m thinking if they know the sex, the reason they haven’t announced is because it is a boy. If they were to announce a boy, excitement would die down, whereas a girl would generate a lot more interest.

I personally think that they haven’t checked the sex though.

She's not going to have this kid until between the 15-18th since I'll be out of town at a knitting conference, obviously!

I also agree, they just haven't found out the sex, so can't spill the beans!

1 minute ago, karen77 said:

She's not going to have this kid until between the 15-18th since I'll be out of town at a knitting conference, obviously!

I also agree, they just haven't found out the sex, so can't spill the beans!

I hope she doesn't.  If she does have the kid earlier she will never get away from people claiming she conceded before the wedding.  (She might not anyway, because people are stupid)

1 hour ago, viii said:

My two nieces and my nephew are obsessed with Daniel Tiger. I've watched episodes with them and it's actually really fantastic. It has good teachings, catchy songs, and is all around a fun show. I don't find it irritating like other kid shows. 

Although sometimes the songs get stuck in your head and YOU CANT GET THEM OUT. "little bit of this and a little bit of that, we gotta try new foods because it might taste gooood"... ugh. 

Those songs really are catchy! Thankfully they don’t annoy me either. I’m just really glad she and my nephew are interested in a quality show that doesn’t annoy the crap out of me. 

1 hour ago, Jellybean said:

Your description of Daniel Tiger and the effect it’s had on your parenting is just lovely! You’re so good with words.

I have more to say:

1. I read your post too fast the first time and thought DT was referring to POTUS. I’m very glad it wasn’t and hope that you never base your parenting on things you learn from the Cheeto Benito
  2. I love positive parenting and emotional coaching as you described it
  3. Blog recommendation: www.TeacherTomsBlog.blogspot.com - Teacher Tom blogs pretty much every day about teaching preschoolers at a play-based cooperative preschool in Seattle. He writes a lot about emotional coaching, helping children to learn, conflict resolution, and lots of other things. If I were a parent, the blog would be my skills manual!
  4. That’s all

If I want my kid to know what collision or treason or nepotism is then Trump would be the perfect example! Unfortunately, I’m more focused on lame stuff like sharing and being a big helper and loving others for their differences and being a decent person. :pb_lol:

And thank you very much. My daughter just turned 14 months, so she doesn’t really watch the show much - she’ll listen to the songs, but prefers wandering around causing mischief if she isn’t cuddling me. I’m still very new to parenting and I really love that the show has given me some key phrases or songs to fall back on as needed because I do feel much calmer and more prepared that way.

Just now, VelociRapture said:

the show has given me some key phrases or songs to fall back on as needed because I do feel much calmer and more prepared that way.

And I had to raise GryffindorDisappointment with Barneyisms. No wonder she was such a little shit. lol

And also:  When she was a baby, the show "American Baby" with "Dr. T. Berry Braselton (sp?)" was on every day. I watched that all the time because he was so calm about dealing with the baby-randomness that is a thing. I like to think I learned good techniques from him.

Daniel Tiger is a great show. My daughter loves it. At first I thought it was a little annoying because I didn’t think anything could match Mr Rogers. Then I had to listen to the theme song from Barney. I don’t find it annoying at all now. 

Anybody else think Joy won't be able to decide on a name, like she couldn't choose a wedding dress, or how to wear her hair, or if she should wear a veil. She will probably say to Austin, "what do YOU want to name it?"

We saw Daniel Tiger Live last year and my daughter just about died. And let's face it, I was as into it as she was. Absolutely love that show and the diversity of the characters. Plus they depict a good range of different family dynamics- Two parent household, interracial couple, single mom, O the Owl lives with his uncle. And like others have said, the songs and lessons are really helpful to both kids and adults. As far as kids' shows go, it doesn't get much better.

On 5.2.2018 at 7:42 PM, lizzybee said:

Good lord I just can't imagine desiring to break my son's will. Tears come to my eyes even thinking about it. Not my precious baby. If there's hellfire waiting for me for not doing so, bring it on. This punishment for good belief system is such an evil, evil mentality. 

Problem: in this mindset it is not you going to hell, but you are damning your child to an eternity of hellish terrors. If you truly believe that, how can you not „discipline“ your child and still say you love it? It is really sickening.

I also have a theory about the wide success for methods like the Pearl or Enzo ones. 

Please let me state first that I in no way agree with anything they claim. Wether the described actions nor the underlying beliefs!!!!! I think it is child abuse and should be illegal.

But for a generation of parents that grew up with corporal punishment as norm, when children rights were still to be enunciated, where hitting your children with all sorts of objects would be talked about but never confronted, where child protection service didn’t have the standing and power it now has- this discipline methods where you should be calm and reasonable and not in violent rage, where there rules for punishment and not just till your arm is lame or you broke the stick- for people that suffered from this kind of despotism those manuals could seem very modern and good. This is no excuse but in my head this is the only explanation how those books could reach their first audience. Their cannot be that many monsters (and that is what people following those books are in my eyes).

Sadly there is already the next generation, stepping in their parents footsteps.

39 minutes ago, Bugaboo said:

Anybody else think Joy won't be able to decide on a name, like she couldn't choose a wedding dress, or how to wear her hair, or if she should wear a veil. She will probably say to Austin, "what do YOU want to name it?"

I get the feeling Austin is a fairly private person and just doesn't want a lot of his life broadcast, but also realizes that the money is too good to pass up, so he puts up with it, but only as much as he has too.  I don't think we'll see a real "what should we name him/her" it will be a staged, filmed event but the real choice will have been made off camera.  So it will depend on how they want Joy portrayed, as a simpering little girl or as a strong willed momma bear.

Is there a possibility that all of that was a put on for the show?

55 minutes ago, Bugaboo said:

That just made me think of the girl that Prince Akeem’s parents arranged for him to marry in Coming to America (and his non-attraction to her that makes him decide to come to America to find a bride).  He meets her for the first time in a secluded room, and he tries to get to know her, asking what kind of things she likes, and all she answers with is, “Whatever you like.”  (And then, of course, he makes her hop on one foot and bark like a dog just to mess with her.)

I could imagine Joy behaving in a similar way for Austin.  “What kind of outfits do you like to wear, honey?”  “Whatever you like.”  “What is your favorite meal?”  “Whatever you like.”  “What should we name our firstborn?”  “Whatever you like.”  Prince Akeem found this quality a turn-off, but of course, any sort of individuality or free choice is pretty much bred out of the cult that Joy and Austin are in (and the men indoctrinated to be in charge of the women), so Austin doesn’t really know much better than that.

@just_ordinary You might have a point. I know ppl working as teachers at schools where alot of the pupils are either first or second generation immigrants. Quite a few of the parents use corporal punishment, and most of them stop when they are told by their child’s teacher that corporal punishment is not allowed in Norway, and that if they don’t stop, they will be reported to CPS. Most of the parents get really upset, and ask for advice regarding alternative ways to raise their children, as corporal punishment is he only way they know.

@Snowless No wonder several young women raised in fundy families have no opinions on their own, as they have been raised to follow their husband’s meanings and needs. Especially if their wills have been broken down from they were infants.

Daniel The Tiger is horrendous. That and Caillou are hands down the most annoying children shows I've ever had the misfortune of watching. 

I think Joy came across so indecisive in that episode because it was regarding certain choices, not because she's indecisive by nature. I think she generally didn't know what kind of dress she wanted, how she wanted her hair done, etc because that stuff matters very little to her. She's a tomboy at heart, that's been documented well enough. However, I think when it comes to naming her child, she'll certainly have an opinion. However, I also have no doubt that she would bow to Austin's authority if it was different than hers. 

Everyone on earth has opinions , Likes, Dislikes and a reason for them. LThe Duggar daughters are nodifferent and we have see them voice what they want plenty. The difference is they are taught while it’s ok to say what they feel they must ultimately accept their husbands authority and he makes the final choice in the end. 

Caillou, bubble guppies, and dinosaur train are my shows I can't stand.

i like seseme street, Mickey Mouse club house, veggie tales, Winnie the Pooh, Daniel Tiger, and chuggington though

Daniel is a cute enough show for kids, but I've been impressed with Super Why and In the Night Garden.  Super Why because my year old grandson was responding to it and as he got older, he recognized letters and would call them out to the TV when asked.  Night Garden because, on an adult level, it is hilarious.  Certainly makes me wonder what the creators were doing while they put the show together.

And that's my first ever post.  G'day to y'all (and no, I never say y'all in real life).

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived