IGNORED

Chelsy and John's Wedding and the Aftermath

Palimpsest

Wait—no Transfer of Authority ceremony? Thank God for small mercies.

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All in all this was a boring wedding. 30+ minutes of talking . jeez. I do love the moment where Chelsy and John were standing romantically close onstage and the pastor leapt in front of them, to the general amusement of the congregation.

Showing my ex-Christian bf this wedding gets him riffing on all the reasons he left the church [emoji48]

They kissed, he carried her and her bare feet out, then the other coupled groomsmen carried their bridesmaids out. By the fifth couple its like ok I GOT IT. The pastor/her dad kissed his wife, Steve was probably like "hell no if you think I'm showing Terri any public affection".

Here's the shot you never wanted of Chelsy's feet. Her dress seems very sparkly.

Screenshot_20171230-160920.png

Screenshot_20171230-160947.png

1 minute ago, snickers34 said:

Also, man, that was long.....they rivaled the catholics with that ceremony.

No sheet! I tuned in at 60 minutes in and got to hear the entire Exchange of vows!

So, tell about the penishood holders’ sermons? Who was worse than Stevovah?

4 minutes ago, Hane said:

Wait—no Transfer of Authority ceremony? Thank God for small mercies.

No hymen sale either!

Re the barefoot thing: I met and attended a communion service conducted by a woman UU minister who always goes barefoot when she leads worship. It’s a reference to an Old Testament verse about removing ones shoes when standing on sacred ground.

i return you to your scheduled snarking.

Really? The recessional was a dancy-country-type piece? A little bit more FUN than I expected for a Maxwell wedding. Did someone tell Steve that maybe he should try to prove that he's NOT a control freak, or at least not that anymore?

Well, it was beautiful. I might've played piano at my wedding too if I'd have thought of it. Other than WAY too much preaching, the songs and vows and all were really FUN! And no, no hack-coughing. Back to my house-cleaning now, and other stuff. This was very fun-ly therapeutic!

1 hour ago, fundiefan said:

The bridesmaids dresses are awful. They are not flattering at all. They're clingy. That is not modest.

Definitely not flattering on the rear view. C'mon Chelsy, I expected more here. 

Ok I went to the, Keeping Up With Fundies 1st. They are talking some weird stuff about this wedding. Please, PLEASE tell me they are just playing around about the Maxwells talking about Steve's vasectomy being reversed as a blessing! And are there any decorations? Those look like candles on the floor.

I had family over during the main ceremony so couldn’t watch live. Have just caught up.

Sounds like the biggest bunch of What The Actual Fuck ever.

Eagerly awaiting Sarah’s blog posts about it.

Should they post the video on their YouTube page, "Vasectomy Reversal at the Hitchin' Post" might be an apt and worthy title.

Eta - thanks to everyone for your funny comments. I've laughed a lot today!

I'm a little bit in awe that they rehearsed this wedding...because it did not seem like they'd practiced this before.

21 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I'm almost positive I saw Rebecca eleventy in the audience as well.

At the beginning before stuff started, I thought I saw a Rod teen in the middle audience - but I'm not sure whether that was wishful thinking, the low quality of the livestream (despite having it one setting below HD, only to reduce possibility of lag) or the fact that lots of fundie teens look similar. Well, apart from that clown makeup Jill imposes on them.

2 minutes ago, nomoxian said:

At the beginning before stuff started, I thought I saw a Rod teen in the middle audience - but I'm not sure whether that was wishful thinking, the low quality of the livestream (despite having it one setting below HD, only to reduce possibility of lag) or the fact that lots of fundie teens look similar. Well, apart from that clown makeup Jill imposes on them.

I very much doubt it. I would have spotted more Rods if they were there. I saw none. 

Do you think Chelsy and John will wait and spent New Years with their families, or they’ll go straight to their honeymoon?

to me it looked like they wanted to get the hell out of there 

My reactions, in random-ish order:

:pb_eek: at the amount of talking before the actual marriage ceremony started. I was going to ask whether it was normal in the US for the groom and father of the bride to bloviate so much at a wedding service (in the UK there aren't any speeches during the service itself, other than a short address by the minister/officiant - speeches are for the reception, not the service) so I'm glad to hear from fellow FJers that that isn't the case!

:pb_eek::pb_eek::pb_eek: at the mention of Steve's vasectomy and the parading of the Reversals. I mean, really?? I'm absolutely FLOORED that something that should be so incredibly private would be mentioned and praised, not just publically but at Steve's son's wedding, and by the bride's father, too. I'm absolutely, completely gobsmacked that anyone would even start to think it was a good idea to bring it up in such a way. Seriously, my jaw nearly hit the floor and I wondered whether I was hearing/seeing things correctly. So incredibly inappropriate.

I think I may have missed some of the other snarkable things said during the service, simply because the sound quality of the recording was so poor. For example, when the small groomsman (Hudson) came to the front, was addressed by the pastor, and said something in reply, I couldn't make out a word of it. Was he really saying something about praying for a wife, as someone on this thread said??? If so, I'm floored by the utter disregard for appropriate boundaries this signifies. But, that's fundies for you I guess. :pb_eek:

I'm impressed that Chelsy got to speak during her wedding service. I think her dress was nice, but I don't really notice details about clothes so I'm hardly an expert! I liked the colour of the bridesmaids' dresses.

I actually wasn't enormously surprised about the drone being used to deliver the rings, though I did eye roll a little. I think John used a drone or similar to deliver the rings during Joseph's wedding rehearsal.

i definitely think Carolina is pregnant. I first thought that when I saw the jalapeños sign-painting photo earlier in the day, but I think it's pretty obvious in the wedding video too.

I think I mentioned this in the thread about the September Bontrager wedding livestreams, but I do find it odd when fundie baptists use (slightly tweaked versions of) the Church of England vows. 

I was watching on my phone, so couldn’t comment while watching.

I actually like both Chelsy’s dress and the bridesmaids dresses. Having to accomodate all those different body shapes, ages and stages of pregnancy wouldn’t have been easy. Loved the bouquets and Chelsy’s crown too. The zillion little bell ringers and flower girls were cute too - well done to Abby for wrangling them all.

Even though I was initially confused about where the bride and groom had gone, I quite liked them playing piano and having a moment together. Mr Nontrager exhorting the congregation to sing loudly, not so much. It’s a wedding, not one of your concerts/preaching opportunities.

Marlin Bontrager is far too fond of the sound of his own voice. Again, this isn’t one of your family concerts/sermons, it’s your first daughters wedding. And apparently Hudson may be ready for his godly little wife in just three short years - just have to wait for her to turn 14......

John and Chelsy can’t keep their hands off each other. And no fuss was made about it being a FIRST kiss. Hmmmmm. Must be killing Steve that now he can’t brag about all his kids having no touch engagements.

The reversal talk was insane enough, but actually bringing the reversal Kids forward? One of the top pieces of fundie lunacy I’ve ever seen. At least Steve didn’t preach though, or come forward to exhibit his intact genitalia.

I hate the whole drone thing. But I guess Chelsy can’t complain about disruption after dragging the fucking groom out to find her lost vows mid ceremony. But it’s overdone and has a vibe of “oh you crazy boys”, followed by the maid of honour demurely producing the other ring, with a vibe of “well we girls are sensible and would never joke about something so serious”. And that drone was loud!

I thought John was going to give her the house deeds in both their names, but no, just the keys. Romantic........

Chelsy defrauded and amused me when she knelt too soon and awkwardly close to John.

I would have paid good money to see Steve carry Teri out of the church! 

All in all, a thoroughly enjoyable bit of lunacy to wake up to.

47 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I'm almost positive I saw Rebecca eleventy in the audience as well.

You probably did. She and Chelsy are friends, and she posted on one of Chelsy's blog posts to say that she'd received her wedding invitation. I was wondering whether anyone would spot her during the video. I didn't see her, but there again I missed the beginning of the livestream and only started tuning in while the flower girls were walking up the aisle.

Oh, my Rufus!  I leave for three hours to continue redecorating the bathroom, and I have thirteen pages to catch up on!  Ok, back to page ten......

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived