IGNORED

Jinger 33: Beauty: By God!

Coconut Flan

Cider is super delicious - though I always find it kinda dorky when these people drink make-believe wine (like grape juice in an ice bucket and a champagne bottle) for their "romantic" dinners.

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, LacyMay said:

Where is all the stuff about Jordyn's birthday dress coming from? I checked the Facebook, Instagram and website and didn't see anything. 

I'm intrigued. 

It is in the birthday video they posted on FB.  

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, MadameOvary said:

Thanks! Would that go for sparkling wine too, then? Here we call crémant, spumante, cava etc. sparkling wine. It's the cheaper relative of champagne by virtue of not being produced in Champagne (but otherwise uses the same method). Definitely alcoholic!

Whoops, forgot about sparkling wine! Nope, that's the same here as for you. The sparkling grape juice/sparkling juice cocktails here are definitely unfermented grapes though! 

2 minutes ago, NakedKnees said:

As I've gotten older, I can't believe the variety of flavors in ciders, especially British ones. My favorite is Scrumpy Jack. I get the impression that cider in Britain (and maybe Europe in general?) can culturally be a bit like Hard Lemonade or Wine Spritzers in the US... sweet boozy drinks that teens can and often do go waaaaaaaay overboard with.

Good hard ciders are not alcopops like hard lemonades or hard sodas. Some in the U.S. are definitely made to be in that category, unfortunately. The ones that have added sugars and a lot of apple juice are sweet like that--Budweiser's Johnny Appleseed is terribly sweet and artificial. One brand with a variety of flavors called "Cider Boys" I think is also in the alcopop category.  I prefer dry ciders without much added, certainly not a bunch of sugars. 

I've never had anything in Europe. My only trip was with a newly recovering alcoholic so we didn't go near anything there. 

17 minutes ago, nickelodeon said:

Cider is super delicious - though I always find it kinda dorky when these people drink make-believe wine (like grape juice in an ice bucket and a champagne bottle) for their "romantic" dinners.

But good ol' Juicy Juice containers just aren't sleek enough! 

18 minutes ago, NakedKnees said:

As I've gotten older, I can't believe the variety of flavors in ciders, especially British ones. My favorite is Scrumpy Jack. I get the impression that cider in Britain (and maybe Europe in general?) can culturally be a bit like Hard Lemonade or Wine Spritzers in the US... sweet boozy drinks that teens can and often do go waaaaaaaay overboard with.

We have really really cheap and rough ciders that are sold in big 2-litre bottles like pop, and which are favoured by hardened alcoholics and, yes, teenagers going overboard :my_sick::my_sick::my_sick: White Lightning is a favoured brand.

The more high-class 'proper' ciders we have - like Aspall's, and loads of little operations that make high-quality traditional stuff - are kind of summer afternoon drinks. You'd have it at a picnic or by the river. I've got horribly sick in the West Country on their traditional 'scrumpy' - dry flavour and quite high alcohol content that can take you by surprise... But mass-produced cider's popularity has increased hugely over the last ten years, and its definitely more of a young person's drink than it used to be. There are lots of sweet, flavoured ones like Rekorderlig or Old Mout which have a bit of an alcopop vibe to them.

39 minutes ago, nickelodeon said:

To me, it's like Tofurky or Paleo Gluten-Free Low-Sugar Actually-Good-For-You Cupcakes or clean versions of explicit rap songs. Why do you need to make something masquerade as the thing you're avoiding? At that point, just eat some straight-up tofu or some strawberries dipped in dark chocolate, or listen to Pat Boone or whatever. What's the point of avoiding a vice if you're going to pretend you're partaking in it? 

5 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

To me, it's like Tofurky or Paleo Gluten-Free Low-Sugar Actually-Good-For-You Cupcakes or clean versions of explicit rap songs. Why do you need to make something masquerade as the thing you're avoiding? At that point, just eat some straight-up tofu or some strawberries dipped in dark chocolate, or listen to Pat Boone or whatever. What's the point of avoiding a vice if you're going to pretend you're partaking in it? 

I find it interesting that Jinger & Jeremy are doing sparkling drinks in wine glasses. Most evangelicals I knew at Christian school preached about absolutely avoiding that as it "has the appearance of evil". I remember principals lecturing the staff about drinking non-alcoholic drinks that have any resemblance to alcohol being wrong, wrong, wrong and a fireable offense if we were seen doing it in public. No mocktails or sparkling juices, etc...Soda in glass bottles was even suspect. 

To me, sparkling cider is just a festive drink that we could share with our kids, and now grandkids. It has nothing to do with avoiding a vice. 

Came here like, "Oh no, why is this topic HOT?" Was relieved to find an enthusiastic discussion about cider.

alcohol.png.32b9e9aa038ad843eeff3ca21f5cb8a4.png

I am not much impressed by the cider issue and more by the fact that Jinger listens and actually knows Andrea Bocelli! Go Jinger, go! :violin:I know he's not exactly P.Diddy, but back when 14 kids and pregnant again came out I didn't imagine one of them listening to Andrea Bocelli later on. 

And back to the cider: are people really bothered by the fact that they drink non-alcoholic drinks out of glasses that are supposed to contain alcoholic beverages? REALLY? I truly dislike alcohol, i.e. I never drink. Still, I do like a sparkly drink out of an elegant glass at a special event. So what. 

Just now, Pretzel said:

And back to the cider: are people really bothered by the fact that they drink un-alcoholic drinks out of glasses that are supposed to contain alcoholic beverages? REALLY? I really dislike alcohol, I never drink. Still, I do like a sparkly drink out of an elegant glass at a special event. So what. 

Well, I'm not personally bothered. And I like actual alcohol in my wine glasses. 

I'm just sharing that it is a big deal in some fundagelical circles. It is seen as joining the culture of alcoholism at worst (and many of these people firmly believe that one drink will make you an alcoholic--leftover notions from the Temperance Movement, I assume) and, at best, giving the appearance to others that you approve of drinking alcohol, think it is necessary for special occasions, or are possibly actually drinking it. 

Legalism is so much fun. 

14 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

To me, sparkling cider is just a festive drink that we could share with our kids, and now grandkids. It has nothing to do with avoiding a vice. 

For me it’s about avoiding horrible panic attacks. For whatever reason, alcohol and caffeine have sparked multiple bad panic attacks for me since I had my baby last year. I was never a big drinker anyways, but it does kind of suck a bit not to be able to enjoy it without risking a massive bout of anxiety.

(I did fine having a bit of wine during our anniversary dinner this year, but I didn’t finish the glass - maybe drank around 3/4s. I had a panic attack after our Friendsgiving celebration early this month though - I had a bit more wine that night though. So it’s probably best if I just avoid it I guess. :|)

17 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

For me it’s about avoiding horrible panic attacks. For whatever reason, alcohol and caffeine have sparked multiple bad panic attacks for me since I had my baby last year. I was never a big drinker anyways, but it does kind of suck a bit not to be able to enjoy it without risking a massive bout of anxiety.

Caffeine always gives me intense anxiety. If I have a small coffee or even a large iced tea, later in the day I'll be like, "Why do I feel this intense sense of impending doom?"  , and then I remember. I try to stick to decaf now. 

22 hours ago, Ace3 said:

I can tell the bottle closest to Jinger is cider for sure, but I’m curious about the bucket. I’d love to see them loosening their standards across the board. 

Maybe cider for Jinger and wine for Jeremy?   

Oh good grief!   Saying she is having cider while he has wine will bring on the pregnancy speculation!   But it could be he had her try some wine and she didn't care for it (I'm Italian and I don't like wine at all)   

1 hour ago, AprilQuilt said:

We have really really cheap and rough ciders that are sold in big 2-litre bottles like pop, and which are favoured by hardened alcoholics and, yes, teenagers going overboard :my_sick::my_sick::my_sick: White Lightning is a favoured brand.

If living in Kentucky has taught me anything, it’s to avoid anything called White Lightning. 

1 hour ago, User error said:

It is in the birthday video they posted on FB.  

Hide contents

Ok, I suffered through that video.   

Did ME really say that the LORD provided that dress for Jordyn - at a fraction of the cost???

And look at the very end - Jordyn pulls away from her egg donor

4 minutes ago, MoonFace said:

Ok, I suffered through that video.   

Did ME really say that the LORD provided that dress for Jordyn - at a fraction of the cost???

And look at the very end - Jordyn pulls away from her egg donor

I kind of wish that I had just never asked about it. That was painful (and now I have that ridiculous happy birthday song stuck in my head...) 

Jordyn just looks so over the whole thing, she does not seem happy at all about being displayed like a prop while Michelle drones on about the dress. 

9 minutes ago, LacyMay said:

Jordyn just looks so over the whole thing, she does not seem happy at all about being displayed like a prop while Michelle drones on about the dress. 

I've been following the Duggars for what feels like an eternity and it has always seemed to me like the only one noticing and caring about Jordyn and giving her genuine affection is Boob himself. I have a lot of bad things to say about Jim Bob Duggar but at least he seems like he actually cares about every single one of his children, not just Josh and Josie (Looking at you, Michelle). 

53 minutes ago, bethover89 said:

Caffeine always gives me intense anxiety. If I have a small coffee or even a large iced tea, later in the day I'll be like, "Why do I feel this intense sense of impending doom?"  , and then I remember. I try to stick to decaf now. 

Same here. It sucks sometimes, but I’m also trying to look at it as a positive. No one will know when we’re trying to have a second baby by watching what I eat or drink this way and I won’t have to cut anything out because of pregnancy either. 

19 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

I've been following the Duggars for what feels like an eternity and it has always seemed to me like the only one noticing and caring about Jordyn and giving her genuine affection is Boob himself. I have a lot of bad things to say about Jim Bob Duggar but at least he seems like he actually cares about every single one of his children, not just Josh and Josie (Looking at you, Michelle). 

Yes. He cares so much that he allowed his son to remain in the home after molesting two daughters, which allowed him to molest two more daughters AND a babysitter. 

(I do get what you’re saying. He does exhibit genuine emotions towards his kids, especially his daughters. But I personally just can’t state that he actually “cares” about them when he didn’t care enough to protect them from Josh.)

@VelociRapture I know that when I state he cares that care in the normal world would probably extend to not letting his son molest his daughters. I mean "cares" as in cares more than Michelle. Shows affection. Is emotionally available. 

1 hour ago, ViolaSebastian said:

If living in Kentucky has taught me anything, it’s to avoid anything called White Lightning. 

ooh. What is it in Kentucky?

2 hours ago, louisa05 said:

Well, I'm not personally bothered. And I like actual alcohol in my wine glasses. 

I'm just sharing that it is a big deal in some fundagelical circles. It is seen as joining the culture of alcoholism at worst (and many of these people firmly believe that one drink will make you an alcoholic--leftover notions from the Temperance Movement, I assume) and, at best, giving the appearance to others that you approve of drinking alcohol, think it is necessary for special occasions, or are possibly actually drinking it. 

Legalism is so much fun. 

Can confirm.. my southern Baptist grandma hides the wine glasses in our china cabinet when her friends come *eyeroll*

2 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

My family does sparkling drinks for Thanksgiving and Christmas. (Maybe Easter, too?) My mom gets a variety: red grape, white grape, apple, apple-grape, apple-cranberry, and apple-pomegranate. She has cute, inexpensive stemware, so even the younger grandkids can join in. It's fun. :) 

My mom doesn't drink, nor do 2 or 3 other family members. Most of the rest of us only drink once in awhile, so it's no big deal to have no alcohol at family get-togethers 98% of the time. At most ordinary (non-holiday) family meals, most of us drink milk. :cow:

3 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I've actually never thought about it this way. This is kind of hilarious. 

32 minutes ago, AprilQuilt said:

ooh. What is it in Kentucky?

I can't answer this but I immediately thought it sounded like cocaine. :pb_lol: 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived