IGNORED

Jinger 33: Beauty: By God!

Coconut Flan

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I asked my pappy why he called his brew white lightnin' 'stead of Mountain Dew. I took a sip and right away I knew, as my eyes bugged out and my face turned blue! Lightnin' started flashin', thunder started crashing. WHEW.... White Lightnin'!!!

White lightning was horrible, I never liked it. When I drank underage it was usually vodka or another cider brand. The popular drink where I live for youngsters is Buckfast, a tonic wine made by monks, it tastes worse than white lightning and it is blamed for a lot of the alcohol related violence in the West of Scotland. 

I don't drink often now, I am starting a healthy eating plan after Christmas and may give up all together, alcohol makes me eat unhealthy food so I may try sparking cider or similar drinks.

I've been told (by the same person who once told me he discovered a jar of moonshine under the floorboard of a barn and went ahead and drank it...:?) that White Lightning is the favorite prank to pull on city folk because you don't really feel it until you stand up and it hits you like a sledge hammer. I've never had it, but I have had apple pie moonshine, which was pretty good. 

I would feel remiss if I didn't mention one of my favorite moonshine-related stories. There was a moonshiner from Tennessee named Popcorn Sutton, who got famous on a reality program about hooch makers. He was outspoken about it, to his detriment, because the feds eventually caught up with him and prosecuted him. He was an older man, and was sentenced to what would amount to a death sentence in a federal prison. Instead of turning himself in, he killed himself in protest. The instructions for his tombstone detailed an epitaph addressed to the authorities:

Spoiler

d2fc0e47dd60d6f50a67bfbc4e5e59be.jpg

8 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

For me it’s about avoiding horrible panic attacks. For whatever reason, alcohol and caffeine have sparked multiple bad panic attacks for me since I had my baby last year. I was never a big drinker anyways, but it does kind of suck a bit not to be able to enjoy it without risking a massive bout of anxiety.

(I did fine having a bit of wine during our anniversary dinner this year, but I didn’t finish the glass - maybe drank around 3/4s. I had a panic attack after our Friendsgiving celebration early this month though - I had a bit more wine that night though. So it’s probably best if I just avoid it I guess. :|)

Just a little fyi - for my daughter, in trying to alleviate some of the symptoms of her autism, I've learned a lot about adrenal fatigue. This sounds like you! Not only did you experience a huge hormonal shift, but also severe stress with the NICU. I would bet that your adrenals are  still in fight or flight mode. Alcohol and caffeine are very common components in adrenal fatigue.

I don’t think adrenal fatigue is a scientifically accepted diagnosis. If you’re concerned, talk to your doctor and take their professional advice. :)

It depends on the doctor. There IS research showing that kids with autism present with low cortisol, especially in the mornings. There is also research being done with cortisol and thyroid dysfunction. Most traditional endocrinologists won't acknowledge it but they tend to dismiss the use of NDT too. More progressive endo's not only acknowledge adrenal issues but will use NDT as a viable treatment option in combination with low dose steriods.  Holy Basil is a great alternative for people who tend to be stressed on a constant basis. 

13 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

To me, sparkling cider is just a festive drink that we could share with our kids, and now grandkids. It has nothing to do with avoiding a vice. 

I know tons of teetotalers who sub sparkling cider for champagne. Most are, of course, deeply religious. 

This conversation brings back bad memories of Pa Keller's "Jesus turned water into grape juice" treatise. 

I don’t drink at this point in my life, used to, but now I just can’t handle it. I still like to feel festive and fancy sometimes and I toss some sparkling cider in a champagne glass. I’ve got two bottles in the pantry right now for. Christmas and New Year. 

Fun fact: Pre-pregnancy I could drink like a sailor, post-baby I can’t handle one drink without an almost instant hangover. The s*it you have to deal with to create new life, amiright?! 

10 hours ago, Glasgowghirl said:

White lightning was horrible, I never liked it. When I drank underage it was usually vodka or another cider brand. The popular drink where I live for youngsters is Buckfast, a tonic wine made by monks, it tastes worse than white lightning and it is blamed for a lot of the alcohol related violence in the West of Scotland.

*whispers* I quite like Buckfast. Cough syrupy. Do the monks mind that this is what's become of their brand?

Am now 21 so have been legal in Britain for three whole years, but I've drunk fruit ciders like Kopparberg or Dark Fruits since I was maybe 15 or so. Fruity, sugary, unhealthy deliciousness that I can never drink enough of to get too drunk on. Never liked the strong stuff in 2 litre bottles, though, they taste disgusting and are harder to hide!

Have never actually seen the American soft cider, even when I was out there, is it like Appletiser or Shloer or something like that?

Also, as a veggie, I eat stuff like Tofurky if it means I can fit in with everyone else eating burgers and ribs and steaks! I like pretending to be normal sometimes :pb_lol: And I used to have Shloer in a champagne glass so I fit in with my adult relatives! I'm just a masquerading person.

Let me just say that Kopparberg cider was the highlight of my drinking while studying abroad at Oxford. I would kill to find it available in the US.

1 hour ago, Mela99 said:

Let me just say that Kopparberg cider was the highlight of my drinking while studying abroad at Oxford. I would kill to find it available in the US.

Our food may not be as yummy as American food, but I think we have you beat on number of sickly-sweet Ribena alcohols we have. Not sure if that's a good thing honestly...

Oh and Christmas pud. I'd miss setting that on fire every year. (I'll share the 8 Kopparbergs I have in the kitchen for tomorrow with you, at least in spirit)

Hold up - they have a US webpage: http://kopparberg.com/hi-usa/

@sammypie So Pickles & Hairspray fb page, posted a photo of Michelle next to a girl in a swimsuit (Nike!!!!) and you're right...it's definitely Melia in Nassau.

Good eye! 

25994827_1434388586659946_83707858466615

6 hours ago, Mela99 said:

They do - but so far I've only been able to locate it in New York and that's quite a trek :(

Ooh, I might have to try this!  Sorry it's not near you, but thanks for the recommendation!

Ooooh - I'm headed for NYC tomorrow, so I'm gonna find that-there Kopparberg stuff. lol

Edit:  already picked out the bar... I'll let ya know how it is! :)

16 hours ago, victoriasponge said:

Am now 21 so have been legal in Britain for three whole years, but I've drunk fruit ciders like Kopparberg or Dark Fruits since I was maybe 15 or so. Fruity, sugary, unhealthy deliciousness that I can never drink enough of to get too drunk on. Never liked the strong stuff in 2 litre bottles, though, they taste disgusting and are harder to hide!

KOPPARBERG HAS BEEN MENTIONED ON FJ AND NO ONE SUMMONED ME? YOU ARE ALL FIRED! 

That stuff is fucking delightful nectar of the gods I got addicted to whilst I was in London. It hurts my heart that I can't easily get access to it, nor can I afford the insane prices to have it shipped to me. 

10 hours ago, Mela99 said:

Agreed. If you don't live in like 5 states, you are SOL.

3 hours ago, Jinder Roles said:

@sammypie So Pickles & Hairspray fb page, posted a photo of Michelle next to a girl in a swimsuit (Nike!!!!) and you're right...it's definitely Melia in Nassau.

Good eye! 

25994827_1434388586659946_83707858466615

I thought that was the Melia. I saw the picture the other day and meant to look up the provenance, because I was pretty sure it was the Melia as well. I'm about 95% sure I have the same picture of myself (sans Duggar) from a few years ago. The building behind them is a bar. 

4 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Ooooh - I'm headed for NYC tomorrow, so I'm gonna find that-there Kopparberg stuff. lol

Edit:  already picked out the bar... I'll let ya know how it is! :)

If you can get the fruity ones rather than the pear, do it, it is enough to make me believe in a higher power.

3 hours ago, Destiny said:

KOPPARBERG HAS BEEN MENTIONED ON FJ AND NO ONE SUMMONED ME? YOU ARE ALL FIRED! 

If I win the lottery I'll ship it to you! :pb_lol:

And a merry Christmas to everyone on FJ who celebrates (and a happy birthday to my mum, obviously the most important birthday on this fine day!)

On 23/12/2017 at 5:21 PM, User error said:

It is in the birthday video they posted on FB.  

Hide contents

That poor girl just looks so awkward - she clearly isn't used to being the centre of attention and it is painful to watch her being made to stand and listen as her mum lists the errands they ran on her "special" birthday trip.

I think it’s the tights with the shoes, but michelle’s ankles look so petite and frail in that picture. Like they could just snap with the wind. 

Also, what do they do when they vacation at beach spots? Cause michelle’s beach outfit doesn’t seem water friendly at all. I know not everyone is a water baby, but I can’t picture Michelle and JB set up on a beach with an umbrella reading a book either (what my husband usually does while I’m in the water). 

5 hours ago, chaotic life said:

Michelle looks like she is developing a kyphosis hump already. Not enough calcium to offset all of those pregnancies.

Sadly, she has taken on the appearance of a short statured person (Dwarf in medical terms). Short, hunched body and oversized head, at least in that photo.

Someone needs to hook her up with orthotic sandals, they do exists, I had painful heal spurs for years and was in agony if didn't have certain shoes on, so I get it. Unless she wants to stick out like she does here.  That is the only reason I can think of her to be wearing nylons on the beach, she wants the attention.  

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived