IGNORED

Dillards 44: Still Pretending to Missionary to College Students

Coconut Flan

Two thoughts after reading Derick’s go fund me page.

1) He says it will be good for his personal development. No amount of missions trips will ever benefit this loser’s personal development.

2) I LOLed at the fact that if you donate $50 you get a personalized shout out video from a disgraced Z-list reality “star.”

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When was it that Derick threw his first Jazz-related Twitter tantrum? Totally speculating of course, but maybe that was right after he got the news that TLC was cutting him out?

1 minute ago, VBOY9977 said:

On another note... Pants!!!

B6B5DEDD-B6E1-480A-8993-6FC22A82815A.png

Yep, and this is actually not the first time we've seen Jill in pants. Jinger seems to have embraced the look more so than her other sisters, at least in public, but Jill and Jessa have both been fine being photographed in pants or (long) shorts before, and most likely wear them at least somewhat more often in private. I think people tend to think that their skirts-only thing is a bigger deal for them than it actually is. Also, millennial fundies on the whole seem to be moving away from skirts-only. Not a surprise, they evolved from frumpers and prairie dresses in the mid-2000s, so it makes sense they'd be okay with pants about ten years later.

1 hour ago, frugalitymom said:

I wonder if this is his way of getting to still do mission trips without dragging Jill and the boys along? Jill stays with family while he gets to live the mission life and come home when needed.

It seems this is his whole life.  I don't think for a second he wanted to do the show. I don't think for a second he wanted to be near the TTH.  I think this is his way of dealing with having to be at TTH unless he truly leaves his wife and kids to go to Nepal without them. Then that's on Jill marrying the dude. 

I am glad he is off the air.  It's about damn time.   This means no Samuel birth story which is fine. 

Maybe perhaps NO more jill. 
The show will be even worse than it was 

2 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

WHAT THE FUCK???? JILL IN PANTS?!?!?!

Maybe she asked Jinger for fashion advice? Or maybe they are trying to divert attention from Derick not being on the show?

I find the timing of this photo release to be REALLY convenient!! And are we taking bets a new blessing or courtship is announced within the next 48 hours or so?

ETA: or bets on a jinder announcement from Joy? 

3 minutes ago, Shadoewolf said:

I find the timing of this photo release to be REALLY convenient!! And are we taking bets a new blessing or courtship is announced within the next 48 hours or so?

Or Jinger expecting?? 

3 minutes ago, Shadoewolf said:

This wasn't a photo released by the family, though. It was released by a random 8th grader who happened to run into them at Silver Dollar City. 

I'm not sure what I think about the Duggars attempting to distract from any of this. We don't really know how they feel about Derick. I mean, maybe Jim Bob wants him to catch flack, if it makes Derick look like the bad guy and the rest of them look better in comparison, you know?

TLC was obviously waiting to see the reaction to those tweets, but I'm still glad that douchecanoe is off.  That man-child needs less of a platform, not more. 

Jill in pants -- wonder if it has anything to do with the overwhelmingly positive response to Jinger's pants and an attempt to send a chiller, more egalitarian vibe via social media cues.  Maybe Jessa was trying to help engineer some damage control with some social media advice.  Derick getting dropped isn't good for the brand. They don't need any more useless headships who can't/won't bring in money but instead actively garner hatred for the family.

So curious about JB's response to all this.  Is it too much to hope that he's doing some soul searching and blaming himself, at least in part? I'll never be able to forget Jill on her wedding day, saying she asked her dad for a guy just like him, and he had found one.  

Secular life may not be perfect, but at least divorce is an option for those who are in terrible marriages. 

1 minute ago, Knight of Ni said:

This is the first time I’ve seen her in pants and I don’t remember seeing Jessa in pants. When was this?

So far Jill and Jessa have only (to my knowledge) been photographed wearing pants when they were serving some sort of utilitarian purpose. Jill was photographed wearing pants at the gym a couple years ago (this is actually arguable - it's possible that she was wearing a skirt over the pants because the photo isn't very clear and she's also wearing a longish coat). They've both been photographed wearing snow pants when sledding outdoors - compare that to the Bates daughters who recently went skiing wearing skirts over pants. Jessa was also photographed wearing board shorts at a pool party. And Jinger obviously has been seen wearing pants countless times now, but she was also photographed wearing track pants when she was still living at home, before she met Jeremy.

I wonder if Jill is feeling less pressure to be exactly like her parents "brand" skirts and all, now that Derrick is off the show, and maybe that means her too? (Or at least she's on there less)

I am sure there is a reasonable explanation (I.E. nanny Jana) ....   But after spending my day chasing my 18 month old nephew around IKEA, 

that empty stroller is freeeeaking me out....  

I think it's a combination of things. Jill is now involved in a church where most of the women seem to wear pants and even shorts. She may feel emboldened by Jinger's wardrobe changes. But fundie style in general is changing, too. I've noticed a lot of young fundie women recently starting to wear pants. She may just be following the trend, much like when they moved to knee-length/'modern modest' about a decade ago.

Is Jill REALLY wearing pants? Or is there some sort of dress hiding under that coat?

As for Derick...I haven't been following things that closely but I did notice he hasn't been on the show much. And he wasn't in promo pictures like the other husbands. I'm glad he won't be on anymore. He sucks.

Since I haven't been paying that much attention lately...did we ever find out how things went with Samuel's birth or is that still a mystery? Did she have another c-section? I can't even remember.

7 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

So far Jill and Jessa have only (to my knowledge) been photographed wearing pants when they were serving some sort of utilitarian purpose. Jill was photographed wearing pants at the gym a couple years ago (this is actually arguable - it's possible that she was wearing a skirt over the pants because the photo isn't very clear and she's also wearing a longish coat). They've both been photographed wearing snow pants when sledding outdoors - compare that to the Bates daughters who recently went skiing wearing skirts over pants. Jessa was also photographed wearing board shorts at a pool party. And Jinger obviously has been seen wearing pants countless times now, but she was also photographed wearing track pants when she was still living at home, before she met Jeremy.

But in multiple episodes, one that stands out is the one where Jinger went to visit Jeremy’s family, they have said that pants are allowed in those circumstances because it’s considered more modest. I’ve never gotten the vibe that they meant they were cool with jeans. Hasn’t Jessa done speaking engagements about the importance of modesty and wearing skirts?

I could see Jill rationalizing pants at a theme park as being more modest because of the rides and such. I’m pretty shocked to see a photo of Jill in jeans though and I will fall off my chair the day we see a photo of Jessa in pants doing something other than an “athletic” activity.

9 minutes ago, Seculardaisy said:

But in multiple episodes, one that stands out is the one where Jinger went to visit Jeremy’s family, they have said that pants are allowed in those circumstances because it’s considered more modest. I’ve never gotten the vibe that they meant they were cool with jeans. Hasn’t Jessa done speaking engagements about the importance of modesty and wearing skirts?

I could see Jill rationalizing pants at a theme park as being more modest because of the rides and such. I’m pretty shocked to see a photo of Jill in jeans though and I will fall off my chair je day we see a photo of Jessa in pants doing something other than an “athletic” activity.

I'm not trying to claim that they've always been 'cool with jeans' or anything like that. Just that Jill suddenly going out in pants isn't quite as extreme of a change as some might think. But I have to admit, to me it's not shocking at all and I would never be shocked to see any of them in pants. It just seems like a natural progression. They didn't stick with frumpers, and they probably weren't going to stick with their mid-2000s modern-modest look, either. Even fundie culture evolves (oh no, not the E word! lol), and they've never spoken out fiercely against wearing pants, just claimed it was a preference. Much easier to make the leap from 'preferring' knee-length skirts to being okay with modest pants than from 'birth control is evil and angers God' to, 'Honey, I think condoms might be fine.' (Just as an example.)

This is totally just my own perception, by the way. I'm not trying to say that I'm the final authority on the reasons various Duggar daughters may or may not wear pants. :pb_lol:

I'm currently enjoying a trifecta of happiness: a goblet of wine, half a chocolate cake and Karma's right boot lodged firmly in Derick's ass. I usually don't delight in the downfall of others, but this is a beautiful sight to behold. 

He'll find out, and probably already has, that life was a little easier while riding in TLC's pocket. Part of his cachet was being a part of the Duggar publicity circus. It will be interesting to see if Cross Church will still be happy to have him aboard when he no longer has his D-list celebrity status to bring to the table while he continues to tweet off the rails. 

The picture of Jill wearing pants may not have been released by the family, but they knew if Jill wore pants publicly, especially to the Christian mecca of Silver Dollar City, it would be noticed and remarked upon. I think they saw how people positively reacted to Jinger's new wardrobe and wanted some attention for themselves.

Also, Jill's sartorial choices are a great diversion from him getting fired and trying to grift his way to riches through GoFundMe.

TLC dropped 19KAC because of Josh. It then brought back the repackaged/renamed show as Counting On with out Smugar, JB and MeMeMechelle.

Now it is dropping Derick to show their support of Jazz. This begs (ironic choice of words when talking about Dertwit) the question:  Why does TLC continue to keep this family, any part of this family, on the payroll?  

They can pat themselves on the back all they want for booting the Dullards, it still does not pass the smell test for me.  Having any member of that family on the air promotes the Duggar message of hate and intolerance.

I really don't think the pants were a calculated move. I think she's wearing pants for the same reason Sierra recently started wearing pants. They're often more comfortable, more practical, easier to find than 'modest' skirts, and have recently become widely acceptable in fundie circles. Again, this is just my opinion.

5 minutes ago, onekidanddone said:

TLC dropped 19KAC because of Josh. It then brought back the repackaged/renamed show as Counting On with out Smugar, JB and MeMeMechelle.

Now it is dropping Derick to show their support of Jazz. This begs (ironic choice of words when talking about Dertwit) the question:  Why does TLC continue to keep this family, any part of this family, on the payroll?  

They can pat themselves on the back all they want for booting the Dullards, it still does not pass the smell test for me.  Having any member of that family on the air promotes the Duggar message of hate and intolerance.

I agree. The Duggars should've been dropped ages ago, never to come back. Did Michelle make robocalls about trans people a while back?  

9 minutes ago, Season of life... said:

I'm currently enjoying a trifecta of happiness: a goblet of wine, half a chocolate cake and Karma's right boot lodged firmly in Derick's ass. I usually don't delight in the downfall of others, but this is a beautiful sight to behold. 

He'll find out, and probably already has, that life was a little easier while riding in TLC's pocket. Part of his cachet was being a part of the Duggar publicity circus. It will be interesting to see if Cross Church will still be happy to have him aboard when he no longer has his D-list celebrity status to bring to the table while he continues to tweet off the rails. 

The picture of Jill wearing pants may not have been released by the family, but they knew if Jill wore pants publicly, especially to the Christian mecca of Silver Dollar City, it would be noticed and remarked upon. I think they saw how people positively reacted to Jinger's new wardrobe and wanted some attention for themselves.

Also, Jill's sartorial choices are a great diversion from him getting fired and trying to grift his way to riches through GoFundMe.

I don't think Derick will ever realise how 'good' he had it with TLC. 

I think skirts only was once a way for these families to stand out and indicate how they were special, more Godly Christians. But now that it's such old news, it no longer has the same appeal. 

Now it's just "Oh yeah, one of those families". 

The new fashion for Super Perfect Christians is to be in touch with trends, social media savvy, and relatable while still adhering to Extra Christian Values.

21 minutes ago, ClaraOswin said:

As for Derick...I haven't been following things that closely but I did notice he hasn't been on the show much. And he wasn't in promo pictures like the other husbands. I'm glad he won't be on anymore. He sucks.

I'm curious, the announcement is that the 'network has no plans to feature him'. That's different from not being on the show at all, eh? Like, not baby in the front of the face avoidance like Turd, but perhaps still feature Jill's storylines with him in the background?

Two more things:

1. The 2,694 is such an odd amount. Why not round it up to 2,700?  My cynical brain thinks this is fake donation to make it seem as if people are giving money.  The 'off line donation' was the tip off for me.
  2. When I first saw the HOT tag, I thought Jill was pregnant.
  3. Edited to add: The other donation was a whopping five bucks. Also suspect

Is it possible that TLC didn't dump Derick, but rather Derick felt "convicted" to stop working for a worldly network like TLC that runs shows about trans children and unwed mothers - sort of like how we've seen fundie men quit a job for playing secular music in the office?

I just can't imagine that TLC would start cracking down on Duggar bigotry now. Plus it's hard to believe that the Duggars, who seem like the sort to defend Kim Davis and other people who ~*~take a stand for their beliefs~*~ in the workplace, would take Derick being fired lying down.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived