IGNORED

Josh, Anna and the Ms 15: now with Mason

laPapessaGiovanna

7 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

I love you Mrs P but no mascarpone in cannoli, trust me. Cannoli are Sicilian and there aren't two traditions, there's only one, the one with sheep ricotta. Mascarpone is a Lombard cheese originally, then produced throughout the north of Italy.

Tiramisù is a northern cake probably originated in Treviso (but that's debated) made with Savoiardi biscuits, egg yolks, mascarpone, coffee and cocoa powder.

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Beermeet said:

I hear you loud and clear!  Italian-American from Long Island here!  Mam do I miss the food back east!  Funny thing I learned,  the pronunciation of some foods in that area is unique to us.  Like "mutzzarel" for mozzarella and ga- nole like you mentioned.   When I spoke those words here in California they looked at me funny and I thought I was going nuts!  Nope, just Italian from a certain area back east. 

Your pronunciation seems to come straight out of a couple of southern dialects, campano (Naples and its region) and/or siciliano. Maybe your family-community is from there? In Italy there's this habit to speak Italian to communicate with people from different regions and the local dialect with family and local community. Maybe the same happened among Italian immigrants in the US.

3 hours ago, Beermeet said:

What are those little meat pies called?  They're pumkin colored and amazing!  In one of my nutrition classes "cultural aspects of food 1"  I did my year long present at the end kinda reports on Jamaica.  I went into Queens, NY for the food for the class.  Those meat pies had me at hello. 

@feministxtian. Yum!  I'm jelly.  I do have In-n-Out though.  I'll be ok for now....

ETA: I looked at the menu.  Omg.  I want that.  I just found out about a highly recommend soul food joint in LA.  Can't wait.  Oddly enough, despite growing up on L.I. in Italian/Polish land ( it was hard, really. ; )  we had a soul food/ bbq joint.  Amazing.  Real deal, I know this since I've been down south for the real deal since.  Bbq is important!  I love collard greens too, reminds me of broccoli rabe Italians make.  Good stuff!  Ok, ok......burgers......

The meat pies are called patties. Almost like pasties...

Which soul food joint in LA is this?

14 hours ago, singsingsing said:

There's a HUGE difference between naming your daughter Sophia and dressing her in a poofy pink dress, and saying, "Sophia, stop playing with those action figures right now! And shut up about wanting to be a firefighter, girls can't do that!"

Would you dress your boy in a poofy pink dress?

1 hour ago, Naga Viper said:

Jamaican patties are the best! 

Just in response to the grandparents and “sex” reveal parties:

i know we have a lot of super awesome grandparents here on FJ. My grandparents, both sets, unfortunately passed away in the last few years. But I guarantee, if you’d asked their 90+ self to a “sex” reveal with genitals overtly referenced, there would be controversy. That being said, my grandmothers were amazing people who accepted and loved their queer grandchildren no less and no more than the straight ones. They simply grew up in a world where a boy was a boy and a girl was a girl. (And if their grandson loved a boy, well boys will be boys ;) and vise versa) 

When it comes to willfully dressing your male child in a dress because you want to “break gender norms?” That is just as harmful as forcing your girl to only wear skirts. It’s imposing a dress code that is completely unnecessary. As parents, you decide how your children look until they make their preferences known. But if your baby boy wants to wear shorts and you’re making him wearing dress to confound gender norms, congrats, you’re part of the problem  

I grew up in a town in the Midwest and still ended up with most of my friends identifying as queer. That hasn’t changed since I moved to Los Angeles. Personally, I’m a cis white straight female. I plan to dress a baby girl, if I have one, in fluffy dresses because they are adorable. If I have a baby boy he will wear jazzy pants. In between will be onesies, because being a late bloomer amongst my peer group has taught me logistics of babies. When my children are old enough to express preference in clothing, that will be respected. 

In all of my baby photos, up until well over two years old, I wore a bow or pink because I was hairless. Amazingly, the dresses and bows did not have a lasting impact. I got made fun of many times over the years for dressing too girly but the fact is that I honestly love wearing dresses, and am naturally modest at that. I wear scrubs to work daily, but in my personal time I wear dresses. It’s not something that was forced on me, I just enjoy it. 

ETA riffles 

I feel like I'm offending my italian heritage when I say I don't like cannoli. 

But then I also feel like I'm not a true Irishwoman since I don't like most potatoes. 

And I guess I'm not truly American because I don't like fried chicken and bacon. 

Or maybe I'm just a picky eater :56247957a2c7b_32(17):

12 hours ago, VineHeart137 said:

You're speaking my language. If you ever get the chance to try Jamaican curry goat please do! And on the subject of Jamaican food, oxtail is really good too!

Jerk chicken or curried goat yummmmm.  We have a carry out place near us, and every one and while a visit is necessary 

9 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Talked to my sister in law last Sunday and she'd just got home from a harvest festival at church (UK). Similar idea, but no big feast.

"Erntedank"- Fest  in Germany. Same idea: Harvest festival in church, no big feast either.

@laPapessaGiovanna the cake is totally an American thing and now you're making me miss all the cheese I ate when I lived in Italy, but can't get in the US because of pasteurization laws. *Sigh*

I lived in a Jamaican neighborhood while in NYC, our building potlucks were all about the ackee and cod, curries, rice and peas, fried plantains, dumplings. Yum! If you're there during the Carnival parades, they're super fun and tons of food booths. 

This thread is too much for this pregnant lady. It's 9:28 AM here and I just sent my husband to Little Italy for cannolis...you know, for the babies.

My mum is hosting Thanksgiving tomorrow. I'm in charge of stuffing and can't wait for mashed potatoes and pie!

Ok I am so ready for a big Thanksgiving feast, my family is having it tomorrow! Excuse me while I pick up my tongue and go search the fridge for something edible. 

@laPapessaGiovannaSorry! I swear I know cannoli is made with sweetened ricotta. I just always refer to it as cannoli cream for some reason. :pb_lol:

My husband and his family are mainly of Italian descent. Some are from Bari, but his paternal Grandma’s family were from Sicily. They’ve told me that their habit of dropping vowels at the ends of words is a Southern Italian thing that just stuck with the family over the years. 

2 hours ago, Gillyweed said:

I feel like I'm offending my italian heritage when I say I don't like cannoli. 

But then I also feel like I'm not a true Irishwoman since I don't like most potatoes. 

This is blasphemy. Shun the non-believer!!!! :pb_lol:

10 hours ago, Beermeet said:

What are those little meat pies called?  They're pumkin colored and amazing!  In one of my nutrition classes "cultural aspects of food 1"  I did my year long present at the end kinda reports on Jamaica.  I went into Queens, NY for the food for the class.  Those meat pies had me at hello. 

Patties! They were a staple in my household growing up. So good, plus cheap and filling!

EDIT: Just realized @Naga Viper beat me to it! Glad to see several other people appreciative of Jamaican cuisine!

2 hours ago, Gillyweed said:

And I guess I'm not truly American because I don't like fried chicken and bacon. 

And I guess I'm not truly Murkan because I don't like apple pie...  Or popcorn!

8 hours ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

Your pronunciation seems to come straight out of a couple of southern dialects, campano (Naples and its region) and/or siciliano. Maybe your family-community is from there? In Italy there's this habit to speak Italian to communicate with people from different regions and the local dialect with family and local community. Maybe the same happened among Italian immigrants in the US.

I used to work with two Italian persons, one from the North (blonde hair and blue eyed, by the way), and one from the south.  They argued endlessly about the proper way to pronounce Bruschetta.  

18 minutes ago, SamiKatz said:

I used to work with two Italian persons, one from the North (blonde hair and blue eyed, by the way), and one from the south.  They argued endlessly about the proper way to pronounce Bruschetta.  

How did they say it? I (an american who somewhat knows the tuscan dialect) say bru-sk-etta

8 hours ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

My family is largely from Scilla, some lived in Sicily for decades before coming here to America .  Another branch is from Carrara.  So, I'm toscano and calabrese.  I did not have much contact with the toscano side though.  

I read this article about the east coast Italian/Sicilian pronunciation thing and I have to say, growing up most were sounthern Italian or Sicilian,  I have an Aunt by marriage that is from Naples, my fav accent, she never pronounced like that.  Oh yeah!  Calamari.= gala-moud.  This is so fun!  I miss my people.  They are just not here in Cali.  Back east is unique.  Italians and Sicilians stick together, they live in the same communities, go to same churchs, only do business with each other, bring each other home made wine at Christmas.   I could hear you talk about Italy all day!  

An old friend from upstate NY (Irish/Italian/Polish by heritage - no kidding - her dad's name was Patrick Mariano Zawadski*) pronounced mozzarella as mots-uh-RELL and ricotta as ruh-GOTH.

*not his real name, but you get the idea

1 minute ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

An old friend from upstate NY (Irish/Italian/Polish by heritage - no kidding - her dad's name was Patrick Mariano Zawadski*) pronounced mozzarella as mots-uh-RELL and ricotta as ruh-GOTH.

*not his real name, but you get the idea

I’m pretty sure this is how my in-laws pronounce them as well. Maybe it’s a New York Italian thing.

8 hours ago, Naga Viper said:

Yes!  Patties.   I was so stuck last night, couldn't think of it.  TY!  And @vineheart!

The place is: 

Screenshot_20171007-080759.png

Moved three years ago for husband's work to South Jersey. So many wonderful Italian persons. Grew up in the Midwest in a city with largely Polish, Hungarian and Serbian persons. Great food. We are Irish and English. I am a great speller and pronouncer of Polish names. Grew up two blocks from Zwierzinski's Auto Sales. 

Italian people are so friendly, family ties and events are wonderful....as I just observe it, Many Italian eateries, both fancy and casual. People are so polite and gracious in public, it is amazing to me. Lived forever in Northern Virginia where public manners were not very pervasive. 

So, Hooray for Italian-ness. Fun and delicious. Cannolis are wonderful 

Yes my ga-nole, ri-goat, gavadel (cavatelli) speaking grandma came from Sicily. She went by Phyllis here, but was originally a Philipa. I love our Italian-American heritage! 

Also, just going to leave this here :pb_lol:

IMG_0829.JPG

41 minutes ago, Gillyweed said:

How did they say it? I (an american who somewhat knows the tuscan dialect) say bru-sk-etta

The co worker from the north said it was brusketta, the co worker from the south insisted it was bru-shetta

@front hugs > duggs. Yes on all those pronunciations!  Same with my family.  Chicken soup and camomile tea is medicine!  You never leave hungry or empty handed!  We will feed everyone to the point of bursting and send some home for your family!  

ETA: the first time my cali born and bred german/Scandinavian husband attended my family 's Thanksgiving, he was in shock!  So. Much. Food.  It's a day long event.  They make all the traditional American food plus Arancini, stuffed shells, sausage and peppers, more pasta dishes and foods I'm forgetting right now, it goes on and on with breaks, coffee,  naps.

*Also, I spelled cannoli wrong up thread, it's been bothering me, I am aware and embarrassed! 

13 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Talked to my sister in law last Sunday and she'd just got home from a harvest festival at church (UK). Similar idea, but no big feast.

Just to expand on this, when I was a child, food donated for harvest festival (fruit basket from the greengrocers if you were posh, tin of random stuff from the back of the cupboard normally left over from last years xmas hamper if you were not lol) was divided up and given to the elderly of the parish. 

These days, at our local church anyway, the fresh produce is raffled off and the proceeds along with the tins are given to the local food bank. 

I guess food banks weren't so prevalent in the 70's............   

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived