IGNORED

Josh, Anna and the Ms 15: now with Mason

laPapessaGiovanna

17 hours ago, FloraKitty35 said:

Why on earth has he been made into an American hero?

Everyone in my part of the world  ( Europe )learns in school he was one of the Spanish conquerers / worked for the Spanish fleet , nobody , and I mean nobody knows he had Italian roots. Everyone ( I asked 5 people randomly today)  thinks he is Spanish :)

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pumpkin pie is breakfast food @VelociRaptureIt is also for lunch and dinner. It should be its own food group.

Black Friday used to be a thing to do with my family, but we went late afternoon and then out to dinner.  

I used to work retail, hours were awful,but I did try to schedule everyone for four hour shifts. 

My granny brought me sweet potato pie after I had my first 2 babies.  She told me I needed rich food and that I shouldn't move around more than necessary before 10 days.  She said her mama told her all this.  My granny was the 7th of 13 kids.  Right in the middle!

I don't like sweet potato, pumpkin, or pecan pie.  I sure did appreciate her making a pie for me.  She has been dead for 11 years now, and I sure do miss my granny.

@ven I too am always interested in who claims Colombo.  He was born in the kingdom of Genoa, but after he asked for the cash from Portugal and England, and was turned down, his expeditions were funded by Fernando & Isabel of Aragon & Castile (modern day Spain)  and there's a huge monument to him in Barcelona, where he set out on his voyage to "discover the new world" (a. it was an inhabited place already and b. had already been "discovered" by the Vikings and c. he was actually looking for something else completely).

I'm proposing a new FJ guideline:

Any poster who starts a food thread drift -- If you start it, you must deliver it to fellow FJer requesting it. I'd suggest hooking up with Amazon prime 2-hour delivery service. 

That being said: I'm off to my front door for pumpkin pie delivery. Timer starts NOW!!!

With the craziness of 4 kids, breakfast for dinner happen quite a lot at our house. And Little Wolfie yelled at me today for eating a KitKat bar while Hubby was cooking dinner. I told I'm an adult so I can eat what I want. He grumbled and huffed out of the kitchen.

11 minutes ago, Shadoewolf said:

With the craziness of 4 kids, breakfast for dinner happen quite a lot at our house. And Little Wolfie yelled at me today for eating a KitKat bar while Hubby was cooking dinner. I told I'm an adult so I can eat what I want. He grumbled and huffed out of the kitchen.

:pb_lol: Poor little Wolfie. Spoiling your dinner with chocolate is the best part of being an adult. Man, it's been a while since I've had a KitKat bar. I should get one. That's the other best part of being an adult and getting a driver's license, buying candy whenever you want. 

I actually used to like working black Friday in retail. This was of course several years ago before they started doing sales on Thanksgiving day. We would come in at 5am, watch the crazies rush in, and then it would be so busy that the day would fly by. The company would usually provide donuts for breakfast or subs/pizza for lunch. It would also be a good day to get your numbers up on commission items like warranties on electronics. 

I'm I don't work in retail anymore and get to enjoy Thanksgiving with my family, but I still usually have to work black Friday except now its in an office and its just a regular old boring day. 

@JesSky03 Same, but it depended on which type of retail. When I worked the jewelry counter, it went by quick and I didn't have to worry about shrink or getting tackled. When I was checking groceries and didn't get my preferred pharmacy tech shifts the days leading up to the holidays were madness. There was always free food in the break room and our store was good about trying to trade around bagger/carry out shifts, free food demo girl shifts and cashier shifts, since those carry outs were brutal after a while. The guys would jokingly complain that the girls had it easy since it was rare we'd be on carry out or cart return after dark. They were a nice grocery chain, all employees got a free turkey for Thanksgiving, a free ham or turkey for Christmas and a gift card thing for Easter/Passover, only open in the morning on Thanksgiving and closed Christmas and Easter.

Plus, this thread drift prompted me to put a reminder in my phone to order tamales this year from the good place!

I was sort of sad they left that cool old cash register in the warehouse, it seems like it would a perfect pretend toy for the littles even if it is broken.

On 10/9/2017 at 7:52 AM, VelociRapture said:

Dear Rest of the World,

.......... I wish the entire idea of Black Friday would go away. 

If you need me that day, I’ll be wearing my fat pants and trying to convince my husband that pumpkin pie is an acceptable breakfast food.

Sincerely, 

A cranky Dinosaur yelling, “GIT OFF MY LAWN!!!” to all those young whippersnappers.

feel free to stop by; pumpkin pie is eaten here for breakfast far more often than for dessert.  and i refuse to set foot in any retail establishment on Black Friday.  i spent two seasons in retail 25+ years ago, and that was more than enough to make me stay home every Black Friday since.

23 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

Unpopular opinion: I don't like pie! :P 

I don't like cake (except carrot cake).  My entire childhood my Mom made me birthday pies instead of birthday cake.

@kachuu My twin brother doesn't like cake either and every birthday I'm always in awe of how we are related :p.

I get you guys though, hating something that is "normally" well-liked in society like I really don't like bread (unless it's pizza).

I liked working Black Friday, I liked working Thanksgiving too and didn't mind working on Christmas. I loved the extra pay I got for working on those days. When I switched to working on a pickline for catalog company. I loved the crazy, chaotic, and fun days of working 70 to 84 hours plus to make sure we got everything out in time to be shipped to homes. The overtime pay was awesome. Plus, I really enjoyed the crazy, chaotic, busy and fun days. Then we'd have Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and the day after off. Then it was back to work for the craziness of the after Christmas sales and Valentine's Day sales. My mom used to love going out on Black Friday with my brother. They'd make their lists and enjoy the fun of seeing if they could be quick enough to get some of those deals, then they'd celebrate by going out to breakfast. Some years they really did awesome getting great deals. 

DFB posted a picture of the family shortly before Anna gave birth. Despite Joshley's grossness on every level, he and Anna sure do make cute kids. 

image.thumb.png.2f5b5e4c1d6f755eca4cbafcca550731.png

I heard a Christmas ad on the radio 2 days ago, I was unamused.

I LOVE pie, my family has a not so normal love for all things pie.  We have birthday pies instead of birthday cakes.

Pie for breakfast, yes please, pumpkin, apple, banana crème, chocolate, Lemon any kind, it is all good.

My daughter works at a Starbuck inside a Supertarget, so she is a Target/starbucks employee, she gets paid insanely well for a 17 year old in the Midwest ($11.75 an hour) she's hoping to work Thanksgiving, 1 to avoid time at my brothers, 2 because she will get paid $23.50 3. to avoid her grandparents. Yes my family is toxic and we only spend as little time as possible w/ them.

That picture actually makes me sad how dead in the eyes the older two kids look. Now, I know photoshoots with kids are hard and they're usually over it pretty quickly so if they were posing for more than 10 minutes here it's possible that's why they look that way... but this is the Duggars. 

26 minutes ago, Casserole said:

That picture actually makes me sad how dead in the eyes the older two kids look. Now, I know photoshoots with kids are hard and they're usually over it pretty quickly so if they were posing for more than 10 minutes here it's possible that's why they look that way... but this is the Duggars. 

Yeah, poor Mikey has quite the thousand-yard stare going in that picture.

This thread just helped in my dinner decision...Ice Cream!

I absolutely despise seeing Christmas ads or isles in the store set up so early. I saw one in July and I wanted to spit. The fall and winter have always been my favorite time of year and all the great things that go with it. Chilly air, fire places, good food, lovely smells, deserts, Halloween, Thanksgiving, etc. When I see this crap out so early it makes it feel like we are on a race to Christmas without any thought  of all the great stuff in between. 

That family photo screams  'the lights are on but nobodies home'.

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived