IGNORED

Josh, Anna and the Ms 15: now with Mason

laPapessaGiovanna

46 minutes ago, Beermeet said:

Goat is kinda funky.  I had it Jamaican style  ( jerk)  it was good!  I still prefer jerk chicken though.  

You're speaking my language. If you ever get the chance to try Jamaican curry goat please do! And on the subject of Jamaican food, oxtail is really good too!

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cannoli cake?  Recipe or it doesn't exist.  (please, please, please)

Regarding gender reveal,  to each his/ her own.  I had to have an amnio so during the sonogram, my son was in a very obliging position.  We didn't have a party just to tell people what we were having.  This was also 23 years ago.

As to eating during labor, I had pre-eclampsia and had to be induced.  My husband was still at work and didn't get home until 7:30.  I couldn't eat, but I got him his Kung Pao and egg roll.  There may have been some spare ribs in there.  He wasn't hungry, but I had to smell that food on the window sill all night long.  I delivered at lunchtime the next day, but they never brought me my lunch.  We were supposed to get a special dinner that night but mine arrived frozen and I sent it back.  They never brought me a replacement.  So, at 10 at night, my husband went out and brought me back food.  The hospital is in a college town and our old haunts were open.  The nurse comes in take my vitals and starts berating me for eating Cluck U's thermonuclear wings, onion rings, and a Thomas Sweet Blend In.  (It didn't ruin my colostrum and we all lived happily ever after.)  

@feministxtian Right?!  So hungry for food I don't have right now.  If this was to derail that conversation,  I prefer nail polish for this very reason!  I need canolli and jerk chicken stat!

It's Thanksgiving weekend here, and I've already given up trying to resist all the junk food. :pb_lol: I'm making an apple crisp tomorrow. I've never made it before. I'm aiming for at least somewhat edible!

1 hour ago, Palimpsest said:

And I recommend internet shopping for those of us living in the sticks.  Can I do a quick plug for Penzeys spices - I have no affiliation and no shares in Penzeys.  Promise!

i'll second you for Penzey's.  i learned about them on FJ about a year ago and found out they have a store near me.  

@cindyluvs24This is the general idea:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/marvelous-cannoli-cake/amp

Theres a really good Italian bakery about fifteen minutes from where our parents live. They make a fantastic cannoli cake and I’m literally drooling just thinking about it.

Their cookie trays are also Bangarang Ruffio too. We bought two trays the day Velocibaby was finally discharged from the hospital - one went to the Nursing staff in the recovery wing I had been in and the other went to the NICU staff. They deserved so much more than cookies, but it was the best we could do to thank them.

@PalimpsestWe are HUGE Penzeys fans in my house. We’re good cooks, but our food tastes a lot better when we use their herbs and spices. 

1 hour ago, Analytica49 said:

I just want to say, Please don't assume that grandmothers are all alike and all conservative. I am a Grandma, and I completely understand the idea of a "sex reveal party." I think the term is much more accurate than "gender reveal."

Being old(er) does not inevitably make people stupid, ignorant, or old-fashioned!

Thank you for stating this. We all get older at the same rate and there isn’t a magic day when we turn into ignorant assholes.  We aren’t different, we are just older.  You all will be one day, too.  We are quite able to keep up with all the things.

And anyone in, or traveling to, Boston, get your butts over to Mike’s Pastry.  You will have to stand in a long line but prepare to have an orgasmic cannoli experience.  

18 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Thanksgiving weekend here

Wait.....excuse my embarrassing ignorance, but do you mean other countries beside the US have Thxgiving at different times, or are you just celebrating early?!

Damn it! We were at an italian restaurant tonight and i almost brought home a cannoli. I didn't and now i have much regret. 

Yes, our Canadian Thanksgiving always falls on the second Monday of October. 

4 minutes ago, snickers34 said:

Wait.....excuse my embarrassing ignorance, but do you mean other countries beside the US have Thxgiving at different times, or are you just celebrating early?!

Please, your 'ignorance' is not embarrassing in the least! Or at least I have to claim equal ignorance, because I'm honestly not sure if any countries other than Canada and the U.S. have Thanksgiving! But yes, Thanksgiving in Canada is celebrated on the second Monday in October. Lots of people have their actual meal/get-together on the Sunday, though. My family's having it on Saturday this year because it just works out better for everyone's schedules.

41 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

It's Thanksgiving weekend here, and I've already given up trying to resist all the junk food. :pb_lol: I'm making an apple crisp tomorrow. I've never made it before. I'm aiming for at least somewhat edible!

You have me now craving turkey, mash potatoes, gravy and pumpkin pie. And rolls.

We are tasked with the mashed potatoes and mashed carrots (with onions) for this Sunday. Our spectacular daughter-in-law is hosting the family this year and I could not be more pleased to hand over the reigns. I’ve done it for soooo many years. So, I am very much looking forward to spending the day with our kids and grandkids and, sadly, just my dad, our only parent still alive.  (2016 sucked balls.)

I have to admit that I don’t like cannoli, even though something that’s deep fried and stuffed with sweetened cheese would have to be awesome, right? Most places make them in advance and keep them in the fridge. I feel like they don’t really have a lot of flavor.

Talked to my sister in law last Sunday and she'd just got home from a harvest festival at church (UK). Similar idea, but no big feast.

4 hours ago, Satan'sFortress said:

I fear that this was lost in  the all the excitement.  A cannoli cream cake was mentioned.  I'd like to re-open that discussion.

It all began here: https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/marvelous-cannoli-cake. Over the years it's shifted, Mexican vanilla extract and a tres leches soak, but makes easy, quick fancy cake or cupcakes! Nut allergy? Smack chocolate chips on the side for a spiky, fun exterior.  Need it to be extra fancy for an event? Lay real cannolis or milanos prettily on top. 

I'm just realizing I'm an unintentional Sierra and props to her for turning it all into a business. 

Another Italian American from NJ and cannolis are basically a staple of my diet.  It’s Christmas?  Pick up some ga-noules from the bakery.  Same goes for Easter, someone’s birthday, or a random Sunday.

My wedding cake had cannoli filling, as did the the cakes for both my sons’ baptisms.  Yum.

3 hours ago, VineHeart137 said:

You're speaking my language. If you ever get the chance to try Jamaican curry goat please do! And on the subject of Jamaican food, oxtail is really good too!

What are those little meat pies called?  They're pumkin colored and amazing!  In one of my nutrition classes "cultural aspects of food 1"  I did my year long present at the end kinda reports on Jamaica.  I went into Queens, NY for the food for the class.  Those meat pies had me at hello. 

@feministxtian. Yum!  I'm jelly.  I do have In-n-Out though.  I'll be ok for now....

ETA: I looked at the menu.  Omg.  I want that.  I just found out about a highly recommend soul food joint in LA.  Can't wait.  Oddly enough, despite growing up on L.I. in Italian/Polish land ( it was hard, really. ; )  we had a soul food/ bbq joint.  Amazing.  Real deal, I know this since I've been down south for the real deal since.  Bbq is important!  I love collard greens too, reminds me of broccoli rabe Italians make.  Good stuff!  Ok, ok......burgers......

@Beermeet yes...In-n-Out...also necessary for happiness...animal style! Didn't know about it until we moved to AZ and there was one right down the road...OH MY GOD!!! There's like 2 close to our house now in LV. I love it!! Famous Dave's is FANTASTIC! We forgot to make room for the bread pudding which is to DIE for! Might run by on our way home from church on Sunday (its on the main road) and pick some up....I think I NEED some!! Right now I'm enjoying a caramel frappuchino...yeah, we hit B&N/Starbucks after dinner. 

@feministxtian. Literally eating a double double animal style ketchup only right now!  

Ok,  now your just showing off with the SB!  LOL!  Now I want an iced vanilla latte.  I'd have to get out of my pj's though.  Nah. ;)

3 hours ago, Fascinated said:

Thank you for stating this. We all get older at the same rate and there isn’t a magic day when we turn into ignorant assholes.  We aren’t different, we are just older.  You all will be one day, too.  We are quite able to keep up with all the things.

Agreed!  Ageism is lame.  Older people usually rock.  Straight up and life experience rich.  I'm in my 40's and honestly enjoy getting older.   I feel so much more myself, more content.  And, same goes with younger generations; I don't like when people talk shit on our younger people.  They are doing fine,  the same was said about every up and coming generation.  

@Beermeet got one up on ya...we had the all american feast from Famous Dave's tonight. I'm STILL full!!! But...I'm feeling an In-n-Out run Sunday after church...and then swing by Famous Dave's for the bread pudding. I'd post a map and show you that we're within 3 miles of all of that but that'd be WAY too mean :) 

Living here sucks...so many food choices there's never a wait anywhere on a Friday night. There's a Chinese buffet on the corner that's to DIE for! 

My 6 year old had her first cannoli today. Cannoli has a new fan. All this talk of cannoli reminds me of a party I went to a year ago where they had cannoli dip, yum!

7 hours ago, KelseyAnn said:

What the hell is a canolli? 

Cannoli are a Sicilian specialty. They are made by an exterior of fried pasta filled with freshly made (same day made) sheep ricotta (NOT cream! That's heresy!), chocolate drops and candied orange peel, allowed variants may include pistachios. They have to be consumed before two hours since being made to really appreciate them, otherwise the fried pasta won't be as crusty and the whole cannolo will lose most of its quality. It's very very very difficult to find good ones outside Sicily. It's not that they are complicated to make, the recipe is not that difficult. The problem is that the ingredients must be of the bestest quality and eaten immediately, this makes all the difference in the world.

ETA to the Italians in the thread, with cream, when not otherwise specified, Englishy people mean panna not crema, it took me a while to understand it.

7 hours ago, justoneoftwo said:

But how do they make it a cake?

In Sicily they don't, nor in Italy.

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived