IGNORED

Josh, Anna and the Ms 15: now with Mason

laPapessaGiovanna

My dad's family is calabrese and caulonia.  We say "biscoat", rigoat", pitzel, and grandma never,ever called her red sauce "gravy". They settled in OH (Stubenville!) Then moved to AZ for my grandpa's health. Too bad they brought all the olive trees with them that exacerbated his emphezema. Ciao, mi amicos!!

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

Maybe the same happened among Italian immigrants in the US.

I read a book about American language and how things are pronounced differently in various regions. According to this book some of it came from immigration. It was a very interesting book and now I can't remember the name of it. 

@SorenaJ, your outrage at gender reveal parties would be a wee bit more believable if you hadn't admitted to attending a church that treats gay people like crap. 

I've never had cannoli and this is how I've always heard bruschetta pronounced. 

1 hour ago, SamiKatz said:

the co worker from the south insisted it was bru-shetta

Hey, my childhood favorite bakery had cannolis! Only I had no idea they are Sicilian or special in any way, because the bakery literally called them "tube cakes". 
They were very tasty, though, and I miss them. 

Here in South Jersey there is an Italian American festival along the Cooper River in Pennsauken. We already are going to another festival can't keep up with all of them.

It looks delicious. South Jersey has a lot going on for sure!

5 hours ago, sta_sha said:

This thread is too much for this pregnant lady. It's 9:28 AM here and I just sent my husband to Little Italy for cannolis...you know, for the babies.

My mum is hosting Thanksgiving tomorrow. I'm in charge of stuffing and can't wait for mashed potatoes and pie!

ooooh nice now you can choose italian names ahhah like

girls: serafina ,teresa ,caterina,elena,margherita e francesca,roberta and eleonora ,dilia

boys:diego ,lorenzo,federico,giacomo, raffaele,enrico,damiano e francesco

3 hours ago, SamiKatz said:

The co worker from the north said it was brusketta, the co worker from the south insisted it was bru-shetta

Sorry but I don't understand the difference.

Oh maybe I got it. One makes the "sk" sound while the other reads it like "sh"? Italian grammar says that when "c" is followed by "h" it is always read like "k". The sound that in English is written "sh" in Italian is written "sci" or "sce" without the "h". So bruschetta is pronounced with the "sk" sound.

7 minutes ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

Sorry but I don't understand the difference.

Oh maybe I got it. One makes the "sk" sound while the other reads it like "sh"? Italian grammar says that when "c" is followed by "h" it is always read like "k". The sound that in English is written "sh" in Italian is written "sci" or "sce".

si è cosi' sci e sh è lo stesso in  inglese.

it's brusketta with double t

23 minutes ago, likejana86 said:

ooooh nice now you can choose italian names ahhah like

girls: serafina ,teresa ,caterina,elena,margherita e francesca,roberta and eleonora ,dilia

boys:diego ,lorenzo,federico,giacomo, raffaele,enrico,damiano e francesco

I've always been partial to Iliana for a girl and Santino for a boy.  My family uses Rocco and Silvio a lot,  Mary is too dominant!  Say Mary and 8 women will answer!

Much to my delight, my Mexican friends have become my west coast Italians, they call me an east coast Mexican.   Lol.  When I explained what WOP stood for ( with out papers), we bonded even more. :D

I love finding similarities to other cultures that make up America!  We're not so different and where we are is fun to discover, usually delicoius!

5 hours ago, Beermeet said:

Yes!  Patties.   I was so stuck last night, couldn't think of it.  TY!  And @vineheart!

The place is:

Hm, haven't been to Dulan's. You'll have to report back—truthfully, it's easier for me just to go to Roscoe's for soul food. :pb_lol:  And Sattdown in Studio City for Jamaican.

Goat: Believe it or not, the best goat I've ever had was a curry at an Indian buffet in Artesia. Tender and flavorful and everything I've had since then has been a disappointment in comparison.

On 10/6/2017 at 11:10 AM, MargaretElliott said:

Snip

If a toy is not operated with your genitals, then it's appropriate for both boys and girls. If a toy is operated with your genitals, then it's not for children. Again, this is just my personal experience. The sex reveals. Not the toys. Well maybe the toys. Anyway...

I think it bothers me especially because of the context of this forum. The Duggars have such a narrow view of what's appropriate, and these kids have no choices. So when they say "it's a girl!" what I hear is "it's a subservient being who exists to cook, clean, care for children, and look pretty!"

snip

Hide contents

69e9c75364d4647667cca2ce983bc178--baby-chicks-funny-stuff.jpg.7a523eeb30da580e98a27328ab6e056c.jpg

@MargaretElliott, I absolutely loved this post. And especially the parts I've quoted here.

"If a toy is not operated with your genitals, then it's appropriate for both boys and girls. If a toy is operated with your genitals, then it's not for children" is a quotation that beautifully and acerbically sums up my views on gendered toys.

And the photo of the child in the chicken costume is gorgeous.

Thank you!!

15 hours ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

Mascarpone is a Lombard cheese originally, then produced throughout the north of Italy.

Mascarpone is the best thing ever. And in the US it is sometimes used in cannolli (whether that is authentic or not.)  :laughing-rollingred:

Now can you source the origin of Italian ricotta cheese cake, please?  North or South?  Or fake Italian? :)

I found my handwritten recipe but can't be bothered to type it out.  It is similar to this one though - no crust.  http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ricotta-cheesecake-recipe-2009493

And served with macerated (in wine) soft fruit on the side.

4 hours ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

Here in South Jersey there is an Italian American festival along the Cooper River in Pennsauken. We already are going to another festival can't keep up with all of them.

It looks delicious. South Jersey has a lot going on for sure!

When??? We've never been to the one at Penn's landing, and the one on south street was so crowded I won't do it again. My son and his wife live right near the cooper river, they go walking there most every day. there's an Italian deli in cherry hill called croces, super good stuff! 

49 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Mascarpone is the best thing ever. And in the US it is sometimes used in cannolli (whether that is authentic or not.)  :laughing-rollingred:

You're lucky I'm not Sicilian, I've seen wars started for much less :playful2:

52 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Now can you source the origin of Italian ricotta cheese cake, please?  North or South?  Or fake Italian? :)

I found my handwritten recipe but can't be bothered to type it out.  It is similar to this one though - no crust.  http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ricotta-cheesecake-recipe-2009493

And served with macerated (in wine) soft fruit on the side.

I have no idea. I found a similar cake here (there are step by step pictures maybe you can tell me if it is similar to your recipe), but no clue about its origins, it's probably a modern recipe without a clear tradition. Generally sweet cakes with ricotta are a southern thing (see pastiera), in the north you find more often salted cakes with ricotta.

Maybe other Italian FJers have a better answer.

11 hours ago, Gillyweed said:

I feel like I'm offending my italian heritage when I say I don't like cannoli. 

But then I also feel like I'm not a true Irishwoman since I don't like most potatoes. 

It's cool I'm a Scot and I hate Whisky, I can drink Bourbon but hate Scotch.

59 minutes ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

You're lucky I'm not Sicilian, I've seen wars started for much less :playful2:

I have no idea. I found a similar cake here (there are step by step pictures maybe you can tell me if it is similar to your recipe), but no clue about its origins, it's probably a modern recipe without a clear tradition. Generally sweet cakes with ricotta are a southern thing (see pastiera), in the north you find more often salted cakes with ricotta.

Maybe other Italian FJers have a better answer.

i found one....need some minutes to translate...

found one for the fillings  but it's in kg...what do you use???lb and ounces drive me nuts, can you help??

1kg of fresh sheep's ricotta cheese

600gr of sugar

a little bit of cinnamon powder

150gr of dark chocolate in little pieces

candied cherries

peel ofcandied oranges.

i am from liguria so i can help with pesto sauce,,,we are pretty strict about it,,,ahahhaa

Now this is some thread drift I can get into! I love linguistics.

This is a great article explaining the origins of Italian-american pronunciations of words like mozzarella and capicola: 

http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/how-capicola-became-gabagool-the-italian-new-jersey-accent-explained

The TL;DR is:

• The vast majority of Italian-Americans' ancestors came to the US before WWI, when Italy was finally fully unified, meaning they immigrated when each Italian region sort of operated as its own country with its own language ("Tuscan" - what we now know as standard Italian - and "Sicilian" were as closely related as modern French and Portuguese, according to the article)
  • 80% of Italian Americans trace their ancestry to southern Italy
  • Food and curse words tend to be the last holdouts when native languages die out among immigrant populations
  • Linguistic quirks in regions like Sicily and Calabria included the following
    • Deleting the last syllable of words ended in vowels because it makes it easier to say the next word if it begins starts with a vowel ("Lei ha dato la capicola a Mario" becomes "lei a dato la capicol a Mario")
    • Pronouncing "o" like "ooo"
    • Turning voiceless consonants into voiced consonants - this one is harder to explain quickly so you might as well read about it in the article, but it basically means doing things like saying "g" instead of the hard "c"/"k" sound, and "b" instead of the "p" sound. There's a fun game in the article you can play involving pronouncing different consonants while feeling your Adams apple!
    • You put these three quirks together, and capicola becomes gabagool

6 hours ago, Analytica49 said:

@MargaretElliott, I absolutely loved this post. And especially the parts I've quoted here.

"If a toy is not operated with your genitals, then it's appropriate for both boys and girls. If a toy is operated with your genitals, then it's not for children" is a quotation that beautifully and acerbically sums up my views on gendered toys.

This is for you, then!

Spoiler

16806881_10212073071372721_7947155412483249669_n.jpg.1dccbae166663697b2f7e967333c0a0f.jpg.8bcd12c63c1e0d7f5831f142b8ac32a7.jpg

On 10/6/2017 at 8:35 PM, VelociRapture said:

@cindyluvs24This is the general idea:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/marvelous-cannoli-cake/amp

Theres a really good Italian bakery about fifteen minutes from where our parents live. They make a fantastic cannoli cake and I’m literally drooling just thinking about it.

Their cookie trays are also Bangarang Ruffio too. We bought two trays the day Velocibaby was finally discharged from the hospital - one went to the Nursing staff in the recovery wing I had been in and the other went to the NICU staff. They deserved so much more than cookies, but it was the best we could do to thank them.

@PalimpsestWe are HUGE Penzeys fans in my house. We’re good cooks, but our food tastes a lot better when we use their herbs and spices. 

thank you!  Happy gal here! I grew up in an area with a big Italian population called New Jersey :)

Even tho there are many Italian bakeries, I still feel like I'm missing out if I can't make it myself - and I'm not even Italian.

For ricotta is easy since is made by goat or sheep Milk is usually tipica of center and south kitchen on the north there was the cow, usually they cook with harder cheese. Hope this help 

On 10/6/2017 at 5:42 PM, snickers34 said:

Wait.....excuse my embarrassing ignorance, but do you mean other countries beside the US have Thxgiving at different times, or are you just celebrating early?!

Canadian Thanksgiving has it roots in Harvest Home; thus it is celebrated at/near the Harvest moon.

American Thanksgiving is founded on a national myth around the Pilgrim settlers.  Hence the reason for the emotion and four-days to celebrate.

@Greendoor. We need four days to start shopping for Christmas. As an immigrant, thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays. For me, it's all about sharing with family, and no gifts involved.

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived