IGNORED

Josh, Anna and the Ms 15: now with Mason

laPapessaGiovanna

11 hours ago, Bethella said:

You made the mistake of mentioning the chicken. :evil-laugh: 

Hide contents

steve.jpg.83baba5e69e017ede7d29fe52ba37c5e.jpg

The horror! The horror!!

@SorenaJ Thank you for apologizing. I would like to add that for me, someone saying they are "anti" a group does come off as hate, because if someone is anti-Semitic they hate Jews, anti-facists/antifa hate facists, and so on. Something to keep in mind.

@VelociRapture Look, it's a different velocibaby and velocipuppy!

a6ba8abe33867444cd440599802e792d.jpg

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, HarryPotterFan said:

The horror! The horror!!

@SorenaJ Thank you for apologizing. I would like to add that for me, someone saying they are "anti" a group does come off as hate, because if someone is anti-Semitic they hate Jews, anti-facists/antifa hate facists, and so on. Something to keep in mind.

I will keep that in mind. To me anti means opposed to, but if people interpret it differently, then I should keep that in mind. 

By the way, did Josh and Anna give a reason for naming the latest little Duggarling Mason?  Does it mean that Josh now thinks his marriage vows are written in stone, perchance?

20 minutes ago, SorenaJ said:

I will continue to stay in my church as long as I feel the pros outweigh the cons. And having a church not fully accept queer people is quite common.

It may be common, but it doesn't mean it is right. It was fairly common for churches to reject black members and/or mixed race couples in the not so distant past in my area. 

Are you saying your church rejects gay people? I couldn't tell by how that was written. 

2 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Does it mean that Josh now thinks his marriage vows are written in stone, perchance?

They are written in stone in the sense that no matter what happens, those two will stay married no matter how miserable they are. I feel sorry for the kids. 

Just now, formergothardite said:

It may be common, but it doesn't mean it is right. It was fairly common for churches to reject black members and/or mixed race couples in the not so distant past in my area. 

Are you saying your church rejects gay people? I couldn't tell by how that was written. 

For sure it's not right, I mean, it's exactly the same love. Depends on how you define reject. They can be members, but they cannot get married in church. So it's not like they'd get turned away at the door like "no, gay, go home", but they are not allowed to marry. I have been warned that I should be my less queer self (which, good luck to me). 

So basically you are like a second class church member? What pros outweigh being treated like that? 

2 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

So basically you are like a second class church member? What pros outweigh being treated like that? 

Quite a long story innit. I identify as pan, and might well end up marrying someone of the opposite sex. So I mean, I don't feel like a second class church member, but if I do end up wanting to marry a girl, I won't be in that church any longer. My sexuality is a part of my identity for sure, but it's not the only part, and I might not end up marrying a person of the same-sex. 

The reason it's a long story, because I ask myself that same question every day. It's something I have to decide. It's hard going into without being too spiritual, but I feel like I learn an insane amount and get to draw closer to Christ, and while I am still figuring out what church I belong to, I try to create a safe space where I am. I hope to teach people, that whoever you are, your faith in Christ is what makes you belong. I often wear a suit and tie to church, and thought I would get negative reactions, but I only get "you look smart today." 

@SorenaJNo private message needed. Where you are wrong is in making sweeping generalizations over and over again - not just about my country, but about sex reveals, parents who choose to have sex reveals, and atheists as well. 

My brother is Transgender. I am well versed in Trans rights and I am well aware of what may or may not actually harm a gender non-conforming child. Hosting a sex reveal party? Not inherently harmful if done with the right attitude and not deserving of sweeping generalizations. Parents who refuse to accept their gender non-conforming child for who they are or who force harmful gender stereotypes on their children? Absolutely deserving of criticism and incredibly harmful. You don’t appear to see those distinctions and that can be hugely detrimental to the cause of Transgender rights - you don’t educate people or create new allies by insulting huge numbers of people. 

As for atheists, several FJers who responded to you identified themselves as atheists. None of them imposed their views on you in anyway nor did they criticize your opinions until you targeted them first. Your past experiences with atheists offline are valid and I’m sorry if you’ve encountered militant atheists - at least now you’ve had interactions with atheists who aren’t like that though (and the vast majority of atheists are reasonable people who don’t push their views on others - the atheists here are far better representatives of non-belief than the ones you’ve encountered.)

And finally, Americans. We are a country of over 300 million people. Far too many eligible voters did not vote in our last Presidential election. Of those who did, however, 48.2% voted for Hillary Clinton and 46.1% voted for Donald Trump. Clinton won the popular vote by nearly three million votes, yet she still lost the election due to the Electoral College. Here is a link explaining the Electoral College:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electoral_College_(United_States)

Not everyone here is a gun-toting, gay hating, religious, gender stereotype loving, anti-feminist, minority hating, anti-foreigner fundamentalist. Many of us are working to fix things in our country, even as we are deeply grieving the actions and words of the current President and Administration. We absolutely do not need or appreciate being lumped together with those who march the streets with tiki torches screaming about white power. Or those who call Mexicans rapists. Or who would build a useless wall or incite nuclear war with North Korea or fail to do the absolutely minimum to assist American citizens begging for help - whether that’s a black person being brutalized by police or a scared woman seeking an abortion or the people of Puerto Rico, who have seen the utter destruction of their beautiful island thanks to Hurricane Maria. 

On 10/4/2017 at 8:25 AM, singsingsing said:

'I'm a white supremacist bigot who wants to suck Trump's dick'.

You know that passage in 1984 when they put the rat face cage on Winston and he breaks down and betrays the girlfriend?  This.  This is my rat face cage.

14 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

@SorenaJNo private message needed. Where you are wrong is in making sweeping generalizations over and over again - not just about my country, but about sex reveals, parents who choose to have sex reveals, and atheists as well. 

My brother is Transgender. I am well versed in Trans rights and I am well aware of what may or may not actually harm a gender non-conforming child. Hosting a sex reveal party? Not inherently harmful if done with the right attitude and not deserving of sweeping generalizations. Parents who refuse to accept their gender non-conforming child for who they are or who force harmful gender stereotypes on their children? Absolutely deserving of criticism and incredibly harmful. You don’t appear to see those distinctions and that can be hugely detrimental to the cause of Transgender rights - you don’t educate people or create new allies by insulting huge numbers of people. 

As for atheists, several FJers who responded to you identified themselves as atheists. None of them imposed their views on you in anyway nor did they criticize your opinions until you targeted them first. Your past experiences with atheists offline are valid and I’m sorry if you’ve encountered militant atheists - at least now you’ve had interactions with atheists who aren’t like that though (and the vast majority of atheists are reasonable people who don’t push their views on others - the atheists here are far better representatives of non-belief than the ones you’ve encountered.)

And finally, Americans. We are a country of over 300 million people. Far too many eligible voters did not vote in our last Presidential election. Of those who did, however, 48.2% voted for Hillary Clinton and 46.1% voted for Donald Trump. Clinton won the popular vote by nearly three million votes, yet she still lost the election due to the Electoral College. Here is a link explaining the Electoral College:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electoral_College_(United_States)

Not everyone here is a gun-toting, gay hating, religious, gender stereotype loving, anti-feminist, minority hating, anti-foreigner fundamentalist. Many of us are working to fix things in our country, even as we are deeply grieving the actions and words of the current President and Administration. We absolutely do not need or appreciate being lumped together with those who march the streets with tiki torches screaming about white power. Or those who call Mexicans rapists. Or who would build a useless wall or incite nuclear war with North Korea or fail to do the absolutely minimum to assist American citizens begging for help - whether that’s a black person being brutalized by police or a scared woman seeking an abortion or the people of Puerto Rico, who have seen the utter destruction of their beautiful island thanks to Hurricane Maria. 

I am transgender as well, and one of the issues is with the wording 'gender reveal party'. You don't reveal the fetus' gender, you reveal it's sex. Secondly, it seems like a random thing to reveal, why not reveal if the fetus has detached earlobes or not? (I might do that, revealing the level of detachedness while having orange balloons fly out from a box, and there'll be cake). As having stated again and again, I understand that not everyone is gun-toting, anti gay, anti everything good. If I have stated that I believe every single American to be like that, then that is wrong on my part, and I apologise. When I say anti-American, I mean "opposed to the way the country is being led and handled, and the procedures in place". 

And atheists, yeah, you are right, and I'm glad the people on here are more representative than the people I've met in real life.

Further on sex reveal parties. I mean, most things have the potential to be good, they are just not always used in the way intended (see guns vs glitter, touchdown vs tutus). 

1 hour ago, Palimpsest said:

By the way, did Josh and Anna give a reason for naming the latest little Duggarling Mason?  Does it mean that Josh now thinks his marriage vows are written in stone, perchance?

LOL.  

But I'm guessing it's because they don't like the name Mathew?

So silly and gimmicky  to confine yourself to one letter.  Another few kids and even they might be kicking themselves for it.

52 minutes ago, SorenaJ said:

'gender reveal party'. You don't reveal the fetus' gender, you reveal it's sex. 

Well, most people aren't going to have a sex reveal party for a fetus. When I had my kids it wasn't a thing. It was more "I'm having a girl/boy would you like to see a grainy ultrasound picture?" I swear I think Pinterest has inspired most of these sorts of things.

It really isn't an thing that will scar a child for life. Growing up in a church that says gay people are second class members who can't get married there is far more likely to do that.

Josh and Anna are the only ones who have chosen one letter, aren't they? I wonder if at any point they regret it but feel like they can't just suddenly go with George after all the M names? 

3 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

The same goes for atheists, all groups really, I mean, you only hear the extreme views, 'cause those are the people who shout the loudest, so you tend to prematurely judge them. I come from a place quite different from the US, so often I'm like what on earth is going on?, but that is not the fault of FJites. So yeah, apologies to anyone who feel discriminated against. I have nothing personally against either atheists or Americans (or any other group for that matter (with obvious exceptions - think Nazis etc)), or American atheists, and if it came out that way, that was wrong of me. 

I am just very curious about these evil atheists you keep mentioning. I am surrounded by non believers like 90 per cent of the time and religion just isn't an issue. It just doesn't play a role in their lives, at all. That's it. They don't go into churches harassing people. They just go on about their lives. 

I understand that you had a harsh upbringing and that obviously shaped your views, but there is a stretch between "we are having a girl/ boy" and "transgender people don't exist". It is staggering to me that you can't see the difference.

I am even more astonished by the fact that after al you went through you can still be so rude and judgmental and put whole groups of people in the same bag. 

(And the reason I put "Christian" in quotes is because that is how you write, at least in Spanish, when you are referring to a specific word or phrase someone else wrote or said to emphasize something. Note I also put "gender reveal parties" and "busy" in quotes. It wasn't ironic, but you sure are a little on the defensive).

3 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

For sure it's not right, I mean, it's exactly the same love. Depends on how you define reject. They can be members, but they cannot get married in church. So it's not like they'd get turned away at the door like "no, gay, go home", but they are not allowed to marry. I have been warned that I should be my less queer self (which, good luck to me). 

Oh my God, why the hell do you go somewhere that makes you feel like less for being queer? Jesus didn't say, "Love only your straight white neighbors." He said, "Love your neighbors." 

I don't know what kind of church you're going to, but it isn't one Jesus would support. 

'Support the sinner, not the sin,' is the entire reason I quit church and religion. 

On 10/3/2017 at 2:50 PM, cascarones said:

There wasn't a big fuss, she just really wanted my cannoli cream cake and it was a convenient excuse to have someone make her favorite fancy cake without getting comments about pregnancy cravings

I fear that this was lost in  the all the excitement.  A cannoli cream cake was mentioned.  I'd like to re-open that discussion.

4 minutes ago, Satan'sFortress said:

I fear that this was lost in  the all the excitement.  A cannoli cream cake was mentioned.  I'd like to re-open that discussion.

We had a cannoli cream cake for Mr. Hick's birthday recently, from a fabulous Italian-American deli in the little beach town we were visiting. It was the bomb diggity. 

Now, damn you, I will want a cannoli cream cake all weekend.

1 hour ago, Greendoor said:

Maybe Anna has an affinity for making jam and canning veg.  Jana has a garden.   

"What'll we name this one, Joshley?"  "Hey, look, here's one of Jana's jars.....what'dya call them again?"

Just now, JenniferJuniper said:

"What'll we name this one, Joshley?"  "Hey, look, here's one of Jana's jars.....what'dya call them again?"

Ball

Cake!  Cake Wrecks has a few examples of how gender sex reveal cakes can go wrong.  My favorite: http://www.cakewrecks.com/home/2012/11/29/what-could-go-wrong.html

Spoiler

It's a Gril

But for goodness sake don't search Cake Wrecks for baby shower cakes.  It is truly traumatic.

1 minute ago, KelseyAnn said:

What the hell is a canolli? 

... I’m so sorry, but we can’t be friends anymore... :pb_lol:

Cannolis are Italy’s greatest gift to the world (other than Parmesan, pasta, sauce, garlic bread...) They’re pastries filled with cream and they’re just so incredibly delicious.

80F7E893-AF17-4BDA-86C7-26598FD4E257.thumb.jpeg.28c3822263b5eae6acd59e3ed169d4e9.jpeg

Well this is just a Canadian thought....

White layer cake (cream between the layers)

Line these upright around the cake

Then cream over the top of the cake and a few more in a pattern on top.

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived