IGNORED

Josh, Anna and the Ms 15: now with Mason

laPapessaGiovanna

1 minute ago, VelociRapture said:

Cannolis are Italy’s greatest gift to the world (other than Parmesan, pasta, sauce, garlic bread...) They’re pastries filled with cream and they’re just so incredibly delicious.

Oh, VelociRapture, you forgot Tira Mi Su. The things I would do for some really great tira mi su, or baklava...

The only think I'll say about the gender reveal topic is that the evil side of me would love to see the Duggars punked by revealing purple instead of pink or blue. Problem solved (and heads exploded!) 

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

... I’m so sorry, but we can’t be friends anymore... :pb_lol:

Cannolis are Italy’s greatest gift to the world (other than Parmesan, pasta, sauce, garlic bread...) They’re pastries filled with cream and they’re just so incredibly delicious.

80F7E893-AF17-4BDA-86C7-26598FD4E257.thumb.jpeg.28c3822263b5eae6acd59e3ed169d4e9.jpeg

They look yummy! But I think I would have to drive 2+ hours to find a bakery that sold them :(

You know, I'm now realizing I've never had a cannoli. I need to fix that tout suite. (Okay, a post mostly as an excuse to post this...)

Spoiler

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, ViolaSebastian said:

You know, I'm now realizing I've never had a cannoli. I need to fix that tout suite. (Okay, a post mostly as an excuse to post this...)

Hide contents

giphy.gif

Swing by and pick me up on the way, lol. 

9 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

They’re pastries filled with cream

I thought it was mascarpone.

And it is made into a cake by piling them on top of a cake.  With more mascapone.

3 minutes ago, Greendoor said:

Whose is creme brulee? I assume France.   Merci.

Yes, that is French.  It is an egg custard with a caramelised sugar topping.

My non-traditional wedding cake was a tower of profiteroles.

cannoli???ora ho fame!:my_biggrin:è mezzonotte eh!!e non posso comprare cannoli

i am hungry,,,it's midnight and i can t buy them in the middle of the night ahah

13 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

My non-traditional wedding cake was a tower of profiteroles.

Which is a traditional French wedding "cake". Good choice, so delicious. 

53 minutes ago, Satan'sFortress said:

I fear that this was lost in  the all the excitement.  A cannoli cream cake was mentioned.  I'd like to re-open that discussion.

Ooooo!  I want one!  Is it amazing?  I'm afraid I'll get bummed it's not an actual cannoli.   I'm not a huge fan of cake but love cannoli.  

18 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

I thought it was mascarpone.

Mascarpone is in tiramisu. Cannoli is filled with sweetened ricotta. 

7 minutes ago, JemimaPuddle-Duck said:

Mascarpone is in tiramisu. Cannoli is filled with sweetened ricotta. 

Apparently it can be either - or both.  http://www.italian-dessert-recipes.com/cannoli_filling_recipes.html

I have a recipe somewhere for the best cheese cake ever.  It is made with sweetened ricotta and was given to me by a first generation immigrant Italian lady.  I think she was from Northern Italy and it is to die for.  I hardly ever get a chance to make it because Mr. P is lactose intolerant.

When I was managing a pizza joint, one of my delivery drivers was late for her shift. Her excuse "we were playing stuff the cannoli and the time got away from us"  I had NEVER heard of that particular expression and ended up laughing so hard I couldn't breathe for about an hour! The rest of the night was a mess because every time she came in the store I'd think of it again. 

Gender reveals: #1 and #2 were surprises (one of each.#3 we knew before he emerged from the womb. 

Religion: I am a "conservative" Christian but it would take WAY too long to lay out how my beliefs actually back up my "Liberal" political beliefs. In a nutshell - See Matthew 25:31-46. 

3 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

I hardly ever get a chance to make it because Mr. P is lactose intolerant.

I'll be right over. Start baking madam! :-P

53 minutes ago, KelseyAnn said:

What the hell is a canolli? 

Oh, I hope you live somewhat near an Italian bakery!  Sooo good!

ETA:  while were on the subject of Italian food, Arancini!!!!  Ok, technically Sicilian.  

1 minute ago, Beermeet said:

Oh, I hope you live somewhat near an Italian bakery!  Sooo good!

I'm in the middle of nowhere Minnesota! The most unique food I can get is goat from the Somalian market. 

3 minutes ago, KelseyAnn said:

I'm in the middle of nowhere Minnesota! The most unique food I can get is goat from the Somalian market. 

Well that sounds like a fun food adventure!  

7 minutes ago, KelseyAnn said:

The most unique food I can get is goat from the Somalian market. 

Goat is an acquired taste and needs specific slow cooking techniques.  It can taste quite good.  If I remember correctly - I am mostly vegetarian these days.

And I recommend internet shopping for those of us living in the sticks.  Can I do a quick plug for Penzeys spices - I have no affiliation and no shares in Penzeys.  Promise!

2 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Goat is an acquired taste and needs specific slow cooking techniques.  It can taste quite good.  If I remember correctly - I am mostly vegetarian these days.

And I recommend internet shopping for those of us living in the sticks.  Can I do a quick plug for Penzeys spices - I have no affiliation and no shares in Penzeys.  Promise!

I've been meaning to try and buy some goat but the area is dangerous and English isn't really spoken there. I would have no way to communicate what I wanted and how much. 

But I've been making friends with an older Somalian man so maybe he could help. 

4 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Goat is an acquired taste and needs specific slow cooking techniques.  It can taste quite good.

Goat is kinda funky.  I had it Jamaican style  ( jerk)  it was good!  I still prefer jerk chicken though.  

On 10/4/2017 at 4:00 AM, elsiedindin said:

What do you want people to call it, a sex reveal party? Inviting Grandma might get awkward.

I just want to say, Please don't assume that grandmothers are all alike and all conservative. I am a Grandma, and I completely understand the idea of a "sex reveal party." I think the term is much more accurate than "gender reveal."

Being old(er) does not inevitably make people stupid, ignorant, or old-fashioned!

I too have never had a cannoli, and FJ isn't the only place online I've seen them mentioned recently.  This thread put me over my temptation threshold and I just googled "cannoli" plus the city I'll be visiting in a few weeks and found a bakery right near where I'll be.  It's now on my trip 'to do' list to have a cannoli!

I understand this sounds shallow, but growing up with my Italian grandma in New Jersey, I cannot imagine life without cannolis (which said Italian grandma pronounced ga-nole). 

Mmmm. Cannolis :56247955dd693_32(12):

4 minutes ago, front hugs > duggs said:

I understand this sounds shallow, but growing up with my Italian grandma in New Jersey, I cannot imagine life without cannolis (which said Italian grandma pronounced ga-nole). 

Mmmm. Cannolis :56247955dd693_32(12):

I hear you loud and clear!  Italian-American from Long Island here!  Mam do I miss the food back east!  Funny thing I learned,  the pronunciation of some foods in that area is unique to us.  Like "mutzzarel" for mozzarella and ga- nole like you mentioned.   When I spoke those words here in California they looked at me funny and I thought I was going nuts!  Nope, just Italian from a certain area back east. 

1 hour ago, likejana86 said:

cannoli???ora ho fame!:my_biggrin:è mezzonotte eh!!e non posso comprare cannoli

i am hungry,,,it's midnight and i can t buy them in the middle of the night ahah

Had one of these just last night.

Spoiler

mikes-pastry-cannoli-2.jpg

y'all need to STFU with the goodies. Mr. Xtian gets home about 6:30 from work and I'm thinking he might have to take me out to dinner again...

And if this grandma got invited to a sex reveal party I'd probably just think that #1 son was bragging about the size of his manhood again...I swear my kids overshare. 

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived