IGNORED

Bates 22: Courting, Marrying, and Trying to not Look Fundie

Coconut Flan

5 hours ago, elliha said:

I might be the only one here to prefer natural eyebrows on men, yes even if the natural one is a uni-brow. I don't have a problem with uni-brows on women either but they do complicate looking feminine so if that is important to someone I can see how they complicate things. 

You're not the only one. His eyebrows look refreshingly normal to me. I don't like Tori's eyebrows, either - they look like they're painted on. Carlin's and Josie's are obviously shaped/filled as well, but they look much more natural. There's nothing wrong with having "unnatural"-looking eyebrows, though, it's just a personal preference on my part. There are actually very few things in life I care less about than what anyone else does with their own eyebrows. :pb_lol:

"Looking feminine" is a very weird an nebulous concept. For all we know, unibrows will be the hot and trendy thing for women 10 years from now. 

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, singsingsing said:

"Looking feminine" is a very weird an nebulous concept. For all we know, unibrows will be the hot and trendy thing for women 10 years from now. 

As most women don't have have them I could really see that happening. Beauty ideals are often centered around things that are hard to achieve. A lot of young girls today already like doing make up with significantly more marked eyebrows now than when I was a teen and you were supposed to have super thin ones. I have reasonably thick natural eyebrows and I do not pluck them but I did when I was younger. Thankfully I didn't ruin them with too heavy plucking.

With Carlin and Josie looking like they're Courting, even if they're not officially (oh those Bateses and their nebulous statuses!) is there any chance of a double wedding for them, Bowers/Bontrager style?   Or will Josie have to wait to get engaged until after Carlin is married?

I wonder how many weddings they'll have had in the 12 months after Tori's?  We could easily see both Carlin and Josie married, and if they get a move on, 2 or 3 of the young men too!

It just occurred to me that it's almost time for the yearly round up of who predicted what in 2017 and what to predict for 2018.  The Bates seem to be going through a lot of transitions for their various kidults so I think that's why this forum reminded me.  I'm looking forward to the guessing.  Weird, I know.  

12 minutes ago, JMO said:

It just occurred to me that it's almost time for the yearly round up of who predicted what in 2017 and what to predict for 2018.  The Bates seem to be going through a lot of transitions for their various kidults so I think that's why this forum reminded me.  I'm looking forward to the guessing.  Weird, I know.  

I’m looking through my prediction now:

Spoiler alert - I was wrong when I predicted I’d give birth in January.  I was right about how I’d ugly cry worse than Erin Paine giving birth to Carson though. :pb_lol:

(I think your prediction was on page one by the way.) 

I look forward to the predictions too. Should be interesting to see what everyone comes up with this year.

Hmm... is anyone in charge of the prediction thread for this/next year? I'm too lazy to summarize all of last year's predictions, but I really want to make my own for next year. :pb_lol:

Maybe we can get [mention=24043]SunnySideUp[/mention] to do it again?my_biggrin.png
Or someone else?? anyone.gif

Already in my weekend plans [emoji16] I have last year's all compiled already, hope to post them in early December. If anyone wants to help out with specific families (like the Rodriguez family, whom I don't follow), let me know - I'd love the help!

I do like that I had a pretty good percentage right from this time last year.  I predicted Jill/Anna's babies as well as both Joseph and Joy's relationships.  I also called pregnancies for Elisa and NR Anna as well as Erin and JRod.  My only big miss was that Jinger didn't get pregnant.  

The brow thing is funny - I see my daughter filling in and defining her brows as one of her most important features and remember plucking mine into oblivion in the 90s and being happy to naturally possess the thin brows that my daughter now bemoans. And she and her friends all want bigger/curvier bottoms - when I was a teen “does my bum look big in this?” was definitely a negative, but now it’s a positive!

On 11/15/2017 at 3:21 PM, Lurky said:

With Carlin and Josie looking like they're Courting, even if they're not officially (oh those Bateses and their nebulous statuses!) is there any chance of a double wedding for them, Bowers/Bontrager style?   Or will Josie have to wait to get engaged until after Carlin is married?

I think Carlin will too much of a bridezilla to share the spotlight with anyone, including her sister.

2 hours ago, HereticHick said:

I think Carlin will too much of a bridezilla to share the spotlight with anyone, including her sister.

Forget Carlin. Evan is the one to watch. Calling it now! :pb_lol:

I didn't know this until someone mentioned it in a Duggar thread - but Kelton's mother died in childbirth? That's awful :( 

6 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I didn't know this until someone mentioned it in a Duggar thread - but Kelton's mother died in childbirth? That's awful :( 

Yes, she did.

http://www.blueridgenow.com/news/20090419/kristy-balka-39

She died at the age of 39 on April 14, 2009 while giving birth to her fifth child. It appears the baby survived the birth because five children are listed as surviving her - Ariana, Kiersten, Kelton, Grant, and Carson. The comments left on the Funeral Parlor website are still available. She appears to have been very well liked - many people described her as loving, having a beautiful smile, and just a genuinely nice person. It appears Kiersten is the youngest child:

AFE6DE2C-B4D6-4AAE-AA46-7C474289E1D4.thumb.png.493de2b16a0952869dbea285bc4405b0.png

Heres a photo of Kelton with his siblings:

Spoiler

It’s so incredibly sad that she died so young and that her children lost their mother. 

52 minutes ago, lilith said:

I hope Kelton will think twice about going quiverful after losing his mother that way.

The one good thing about the Bates is they seem very much in favour medical care throughout pregnancy and childbirth (unlike some other fundies). I would expect he would be extremely nervous about any pregnancy because of what happened to his mum, but hopefully that also means Josie would be getting the be care possible, and as you said they'll think twice about having a million children.

Bates Thanksgiving

Michaela and Brandon are in Michigan with his family

Spoiler

Lawson wants you to buy tickets to his show.

Spoiler

Carlin is thankful for Evan (shocker)

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Kangaroo said:

The one good thing about the Bates is they seem very much in favour medical care throughout pregnancy and childbirth (unlike some other fundies). I would expect he would be extremely nervous about any pregnancy because of what happened to his mum, but hopefully that also means Josie would be getting the be care possible, and as you said they'll think twice about having a million children.

Was Kelton's mom a home birth loss?  Not that it's any of our business of course but if so I wonder if he'd insist on hospital?

It seems I was wrong and Thanksgiving was at the Bates'. I imagine that is because every time they go to SC, they break something.

3 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Was Kelton's mom a home birth loss?  Not that it's any of our business of course but if so I wonder if he'd insist on hospital?

I was wondering the same thing. Has the family ever state publicly what happened? Again, not like it's any of my damn business, and I understand if the family has kept it private. 

10 hours ago, Jigsaw3 said:

Carlin and Evan aren't leaving much room for Jesus there...

Yeah I think he might get both a boob and a double crotch rub if he tried to get in there... *going off to the prayer closet*

10 hours ago, nausicaa said:

I was wondering the same thing. Has the family ever state publicly what happened? Again, not like it's any of my damn business, and I understand if the family has kept it private. 

I searched via google when @HarleyQuinnfirst mentioned it. I didn’t see anything about the family’s beliefs or where the birth occurred. So I’d caution people from jumping to conclusions about Kelton and his family. It’s possible his parents were Quiverful and were set on homebirths (ala the Duggar daughters who have spawned), but it’s just as likely that his parents had Hospital births and this one just went horrifically wrong somehow. 

And as you both said, if Kelton doesn’t wish to discuss it at this point (or ever) then I truly hope he doesn’t feel forced to. Everyone grieves differently and I hope his loss is respected by all involved with BUB. 

1 hour ago, VelociRapture said:

it’s just as likely that his parents had Hospital births and this one just went horrifically wrong somehow. 

Yes, childbirth is not without risks. It is possible for something to go horribly wrong for a first childbirth that takes place in a hospital. I too feel uncomfortable jumping to conclusions.

Re: The video upthread of the Bates Thanksgiving with the girls and Lawson singing. All I could think of when they sang the line "I'm thankful for my CHRISTIAN friends." was this:

bustedtees.d859220d-858e-41fe-8b29-18b12f19.gif

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived