IGNORED

Bates 22: Courting, Marrying, and Trying to not Look Fundie

Coconut Flan

Fundie or not, I think it's great that Trace takes pride in his appearance. Not a lot of guys do imo. Around here even the ones that wear suits just look awkward. A nice haircut and a fitted outfit goes a long way.

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The all look like subtle variations of the same Christian Hipster Ken Doll to me. 

3 hours ago, RosyDaisy said:

I think it's UPs doing. UP is a Christian network. They aren't going for freaky like TLC does with the Duggars. They are going for wholesome, conservative, but relateable Christian family.

It is probably a combination of UP and Kelly. Kelly is fucking good at marketing her family. When Gothard became toxic she quickly scrubbed the blog of him. Even though they are deep in IBLP, their blog and social media doesn't really reflect that anymore. She knows how to keep the terrible core beliefs while letting the kids wear nicer clothes and look like a more typical Christian family. 

When I see these totally normal pictures my brain likes to play the United Bates of America theme song. It's a harsh reminder of their toxicity.

On 10/19/2017 at 8:32 AM, VineHeart137 said:

Carlin and Alyssa look alike. You could really see it when Alyssa dyed her hair brown. To me they both actually look a lot like Kelly. It's funny because people always say Erin is Kelly's twin but it's harder to see a resemblance between Erin, Alyssa, and Carlin, even though IMO, they all take after their mom. Maybe it's just because Carlin and Alyssa are more petite and Erin is super fair.

ETA: I think you can really see Carlin's resemblance to Kelly in this first picture. (Spoiler because the caption is really long.)

Reveal hidden contents

See the pic in that spoiler, to me looks most like Tori! Tori just has a slightly different smile but otherwise I swear she's all Kelly lol. I agree with your comment about Carlin and Alyssa, especially when they're both brunette. 

@BeccaGrim looking at the individual pictures on the UpTV BUB page or the header of the BatesFamilyBlog website, is where I see a lot of resemblance between Lawson and Michaella! They both have the darker complexion of the Bates kids, the same smile (with the lower dimples at the jaw rather than upper corners), etc lol. I totally agree with you on Nathan and Erin though! You can particularly see it in Callie, who a lot of people compare to Erin but 'cause she's a little blond fairy-elf-looking girl haha, but she looks a TON like Nathan as well.

Who else saw Lawsons latest post? I can't roll my eyes hard enough, especially paired with that picture! It comes off as fake self awareness. And completely self promoting. 

On 10/22/2017 at 11:21 AM, lexiloumarie said:

That pineapple had alcohol in or I'm woefully out of touch. 

I can’t imagine it does. Not with the group she’s with. I don’t doubt that Alyssa has the occasional glass of wine when out on a dinner date, though. 

On 10/23/2017 at 9:10 AM, HereticHick said:

I can't tell. Not many woman can wear a jumpsuit well--but she could

She has the petite frame that can wear jumpsuits and rompers well. I wonder how much money she spends on clothes, it has to be a small fortune. She’s always wearing something different. 

3 hours ago, jacduggar said:

She has the petite frame that can wear jumpsuits and rompers well. I wonder how much money she spends on clothes, it has to be a small fortune. She’s always wearing something different. 

I get the feeling that she has gotten some items of clothing (both for her and for her daughters) free in exchange for Instagram shout-outs

So while I was having lunch today the first episode of BuB season 3 was on (where Michael buys her wedding dress and Kelly's sister gets married). They show a photo of Gil with Michael, and she is the spitting image of Jackson/Warden/Isaiah. I've been trying to find the picture with no luck, but I came across this one instead.

Spoiler

8dfec90a7fb2596359f9a71a892637d9.jpg.6535c0da5b03568d63a57f4399abd0bc.jpg

Please tell me you all see the similarities between young Erin and Allie Jane!

21 hours ago, HereticHick said:

I get the feeling that she has gotten some items of clothing (both for her and for her daughters) free in exchange for Instagram shout-outs

Ding ding ding!

I wonder if the Websters actually watch GoT. I would be extremely shocked :o

1 hour ago, llg1234 said:

Ding ding ding!

Wow, she is wearing skinny jeans!

1 hour ago, llg1234 said:

Ding ding ding!

Meanwhile, in the comments:

5050957F-DB18-483D-8B02-7E131D048D2A.thumb.png.c9d682e0b7a8720613fd751658869dcb.png

I feel like Alyssa should change her name to “Alyssa Don’t Give a Single Fuck Webster.” :pb_lol:

To add to 'Winter is Coming', Alyssa has just responded to a negative post with 'haters goin hate' and musical notes! My first thought was she must've picked up the phrase through social media but perhaps she is aware of TSwift or even 3LW (although she would've been very young when that song came out). The mind boggles!

1 hour ago, HavetheyheardofBeyonce said:

To add to 'Winter is Coming', Alyssa has just responded to a negative post with 'haters goin hate' and musical notes! My first thought was she must've picked up the phrase through social media but perhaps she is aware of TSwift or even 3LW (although she would've been very young when that song came out). The mind boggles!

Not knowing about Taylor Swift when you have television or internet access is next to impossible. I find it very easy to believe that Alyssa and other IBLPers know about her and her music.

I don’t think they watch GOT though, simply because that content is... well... less than wholesome? :pb_lol: I think it’s much more likely that the company asked that she use specific hashtags in the post.

ETA: Yeah, the company must have asked her to use the phrase “winter is coming.” I follow Bethany from Elvis Duran in the Morning and she posted about the winter box too:

A lot of conservative Christians seem to watch GoT. Not sure how they justify it, I don't think they really try. 

@VelociRapture I follow Bethany too, and hers and Alyssa's posts came up back to back on my instagram feed, which I found hysterical. Also, I love your new picture! Though I almost didn't recognize you :pb_lol:

and @singsingsing - my best friend's parents are quite conservative Christians and they watched both Breaking Bad and now Game of Thrones. Yet she also had I Kissed Dating Goodbye growing up. Best friends for almost 17 years, and her family really are family to me too, but they remain a puzzle to me ! 

14 minutes ago, front hugs > duggs said:

@VelociRapture I follow Bethany too, and hers and Alyssa's posts came up back to back on my instagram feed, which I found hysterical. Also, I love your new picture! Though I almost didn't recognize you :pb_lol:

and @singsingsing - my best friend's parents are quite conservative Christians and they watched both Breaking Bad and now Game of Thrones. Yet she also had I Kissed Dating Goodbye growing up. Best friends for almost 17 years, and her family really are family to me too, but they remain a puzzle to me ! 

I honestly think it's kind of a milder version of 'the only moral abortion is my abortion'. It's okay to watch an R-rated TV show because they like to watch it, so therefore it's morally justifiable. 

If Alyssa did in fact get the box for free (which she must have because my winter box is still weeks away!) and because she's obviously advertising/ promoting the product, she needs to make that known in her post. The FTC has recently been cracking down on celebrities and "celebrities" who are paid to promote things on Instagram and other social media platforms without letting their followers know that it's a paid endorsement. I doubt the FTC would go after someone like Alyssa, but she should still be playing by the same rules as everyone else.

34 minutes ago, sta_sha said:

If Alyssa did in fact get the box for free (which she must have because my winter box is still weeks away!) and because she's obviously advertising/ promoting the product, she needs to make that known in her post. The FTC has recently been cracking down on celebrities and "celebrities" who are paid to promote things on Instagram and other social media platforms without letting their followers know that it's a paid endorsement. I doubt the FTC would go after someone like Alyssa, but she should still be playing by the same rules as everyone else.

The #fabfitfunpartner hashtag qualifies under the FTC rules as it clearly defines that she’s in a partnership with FabFitFun. She doesn’t have to say explicitly that it’s an advertisement or that she is paid, because the FTC rules also cover non-monetary compensation. The way those paid sponsorships typically work is the company’s social media team sends out the text for the post and instructions with the box. They aren’t allowed to deviate from the script or they risk their partnership. 

On 10/25/2017 at 4:16 AM, Kangaroo said:

Reveal hidden contents

8dfec90a7fb2596359f9a71a892637d9.jpg.6535c0da5b03568d63a57f4399abd0bc.jpg

Please tell me you all see the similarities between young Erin and Allie Jane!

Yes! She's the spitting image. 

Also, never noticed how tall Kelly is before. She looks taller than Gill there. (Or is Gill kinda short?)

I would bet Fundies justify watching things like GoT as it demonstrates how terrible life is when people don't believe in God etc etc.

(ETA One of my favourite Fundy-watching things are the ones who claim they "never watch TV" as they're too 'godly', and they're not technically lying because they watch their shows streamed through a laptop onto a screen, or watch their shows/films on DVD not as they're broadcast live etc etc etc.  It always makes me cackle!  Jill Rodrigues is, of course, a master of this one)

Our fundies aren't the only ones.  I have an Orthodox Jewish friend who brags about having gotten rid of his TV in the 90s who spends at least 8 hours a day with his laptop or pad watching news, sports, movies, etc.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived