IGNORED

Bates 22: Courting, Marrying, and Trying to not Look Fundie

Coconut Flan

40 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think Nathan will surprise you all. I just have this feeling he's going to come out of left field with a girlfriend and it will move fast. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Nathan pulled a Maxwell and didn't announce his relationship until he was engaged. I know the Bateses like to document everything from pretty early on, but hopefully he's got enough life experience and confidence by now to put his foot down and say no, if that's not what he wants. His breakup with Ashley seems to have really hit him hard, and I'm sure it all playing out of a stupid reality TV show did not help at all.

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, singsingsing said:

They look nice, but wow, Josie looks so young. She looks like she should be sitting in grade 11 math class or organizing the church teen group's bake sale or something. Kelton looks like the kind of guy more comfortable wearing a polo shirt and carrying a tiki torch.

She is young! Its really sad she'll be probably pregnant in a year.. 

2 hours ago, singsingsing said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Nathan pulled a Maxwell and didn't announce his relationship until he was engaged. I know the Bateses like to document everything from pretty early on, but hopefully he's got enough life experience and confidence by now to put his foot down and say no, if that's not what he wants. His breakup with Ashley seems to have really hit him hard, and I'm sure it all playing out of a stupid reality TV show did not help at all.

I agree. I think It will also make him want to get married sooner. He obviously felt ready to be in a serious relationship with Ashley, so if he finds someone he really hits it off with, I don't think he will drag his feet. I think he will act fast.

I think that Nathan could be the next even before the next girl in line for the Bates ( Katie) since she seems so shy and quiet. It will be interesting see how fast Josie and Carlin will move on, and who will be the next after them 

22 minutes ago, Italiangirl said:

I think that Nathan could be the next even before the next girl in line for the Bates, since she seems so shy and quiet. It will be interesting see how fast Josie and Carlin will move on, and who will be the next

I can't imagine a world where Carlin doesn't get married yet. She would have married before Tori if her parents allowed it.

I could see him getting married between Carlin and Josie though, just because Josie is younger and they may stretch out their getting to know you/courting phase.

I was thinking about Katie actually sorry I wasn't clear too much food and too little sleep in these days...But you may be right Josie could easily wait a little to get married and Nathan could easily marry after Carlin  around this time next year (maybe around November/start of December)

I do have to agree that Nathan will probably be the next in line for marriage after Carlin and Josie.  And it is definitely possible that he'll get married before Josie.  Still thinking Allison Bontrager... 

Katie doesn't strike me as a shy girl.  She strikes me more as someone who just doesn't want to be on TV.  I remember in one of the look-back episodes that looked back at the wisdom teeth surgeries for Carlin and Josie, Kelly said that Trace also got his wisdom teeth out at the same time, but he chose not to be featured on the show for it.  I bring this up, because I get the impression that Katie is super spunky and funny, but she just doesn't care for the cameras and only agrees to be minimally featured on the show and mainly as a background character.  

I've always gotten the impression that Nathan really wants to be married. Apart from his relationship with Ashley, he doesn't seem all that interested in participating in Lawson and Trace's fundie bro-antics. I don't think he'll be single for much longer.

On 12/23/2017 at 6:00 PM, anaandrade said:

Very true. I've been wondering this for both families, how some haven't even courted while their younger siblings have. I've decided not to think much of it until they reach 30. I'm guessing that by the end of the decade, all the kids up to Katie will at least be courting if not married. That leaves Lawson, Nathan, Trace, and Katie to find someone. For the Duggars, I'm going with everyone up to the twins. That leaves Jana, John David, Josiah, Jedidiah, and Jeremiah. I doubt all of them will be courting or married by 2020, but that's what I'm keeping my eye on for now. I do find it interesting that it's mostly the boys who are single. Any guesses as to why that is?

There's been speculation off and on that fundies will hang onto elder daughters, who are more useful in running the household, until the younger siblings are older and able to take over her duties before letting them marry (like Rebecca Serven Loomis). Alternatively, they may designate one or more daughters to be their caretakers as they age (possibly Sarah Maxwell or Addie Morton) and don't allow them to court or marry at all. Either way, it's gotta suck watching all your friends and siblings get married and having kids while you wait for the right one to come along and get through your parents' screening process.

I think fundie men sometimes marry later because they are supposed to wait until they can support a family--or whatever passes for that in fundieland. It seems like every family has a different set of standards of when they're okay with their sons pursuing relationships and what kind of a situation they're willing to marry their daughters off into. 

Did anyone see that there is some 2 hr special tonight?  Do we think it will actually be new footage or a montage of the same old crap?

6 minutes ago, JMO said:

Did anyone see that there is some 2 hr special tonight?  Do we think it will actually be new footage or a montage of the same old crap?

I vote that it's rehashing the same old stuff. Why would there be new content before the official start of the season?

So it was listed as  new on my DVR but it was like talking about new year resolutions with a montage ( I remember reading about Zach's graduation for example).

Last season of BUB, there was an episode called "The Night the Lights Went Out in Tennessee" and I know they were eluding to the song "The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia". That is a very dark song for such an upbeat show.

Reasons why:

1. This song has the wife cheating on the husband.

2.  The song's narrator, the husbands sister, kills his best friend and wife.

3. The husband was found guilty of murder and hung.

I do not think UP put much forethought in the episode's title. Yes, this is quite random, but it occurred to me.

If Josie marries before her 19th birthday in August I believe she would be the youngest bride so far. In that case she might have two kids before she even turns 20, I find this kind of concerning, somehow the marriage age for the fundie girls has gone down quite a bit lately while the guys are at least in their early 20ies. 

Yeah, the number of fundie guys in their 20s who want to have epistemologically self conscious courtships with teenagers has me like :suspicious:

17 hours ago, faraway said:

If Josie marries before her 19th birthday in August I believe she would be the youngest bride so far. In that case she might have two kids before she even turns 20, I find this kind of concerning, somehow the marriage age for the fundie girls has gone down quite a bit lately while the guys are at least in their early 20ies. 

That would leave Kelly with only one sister-mom left to help her cook, clean, do laundry and manage the remaining kids.

New pitcure of Josie and Kelton. I think they are already in a courthip. 

On these pitcures Katie looks so different and grown up. And beautiful. Im calling it. She has a special friend. S:my_rolleyes::my_biggrin:

7 minutes ago, miss_batson said:

New pitcure of Josie and Kelton. I think they are already in a courthip. 

On these pitcures Katie looks so different and grown up. And beautiful. Im calling it. She has a special friend. S:my_rolleyes::my_biggrin:

So many seconds of front hugging to achieve that top pic! Definitely already in a courtship 

27 minutes ago, 3SecondSideHugger said:

So many seconds of front hugging to achieve that top pic! Definitely already in a courtship 

Katie is really stunning now. I am jealous of these Bateseses girls ability to do makeup so well.

They are really really good looking children, boys and girls. There isn't really a dud in the bunch.  But, its just makeup covering their awful ideology (to steal from our moderators!) Dress it up pretty and trendy doesn't negate the hate, right?  Katie is so  young.  What will Kelly do if she loses all of her Sister Moms? 

Nathan is MIA.  (At lest from the show). Lawson is all over the place.  Trace is in school.  If Carlin and Josie take off, Katie is the last one they've got at home anywhere near being grown. 

Very telling. I have seen many fundie birthday messages on social media. Not a single one mentions faults and shortcomings. Hmm....makes me wonder.

3 hours ago, RosyDaisy said:

Very telling. I have seen many fundie birthday messages on social media. Not a single one mentions faults and shortcomings. Hmm....makes me wonder.

It was really weird! She went heavy mentioning his shortcomings. I can’t imagine wishing my husband a happy birthday, full of thinly veiled insults.

I guess that’s the most you can do in their culture though. She can’t ever come out and say “I don’t like when you do this.” Or “I think you’re wrong about this.” So all she has is the ability to be a little passive aggressive.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived