IGNORED

Bates 22: Courting, Marrying, and Trying to not Look Fundie

Coconut Flan

22 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

I don't think that you are. Kelly normally promotes everyone, so why wouldn't she brag that Whitney was now a realtor? 

Oh Oh i know this one!! 

Kelly SUCKS

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@VineHeart137 wow, I can totally see Carlin in that photo too!

I think it's really interesting that Kelly says Whitney is giving advice to the older Bateses, and I'd love to think that she can give them a bit of non-Fundy perspective (although I do understand that converts can be even more zealous than people raised in an ideology). 

I am probably being BEC, but the thing about the younger kids begging to stay at Whitney's was a weird thing to me - I wondered if there was pressure for Whitney to sister-in-law-mom the younger kids.  I completely get that kids want to stay with their cool aunt and uncle, but I would hope their actual parents would be considerate about not expecting them to take them.  I guess in a usual family, I'd think "sweet!" but since this is Kelly, I can absolutely see her trying to palm off the younger kids onto the young marrieds.

Or could it because she does wordly things like watch disney? that's how I kind of interpreted, like they do fun things at their house. But it could easily be both.

1 hour ago, llg1234 said:

Carlin wants to remind you to let Jesus into your life.

I need an eye roll reaction. :pb_lol:

3 hours ago, llg1234 said:
Carlin wants to remind you to let Jesus into your life.

I am headed out to the mall tomorrow, so maybe I'll see him there!

That IG post screams "Carlin wants to be a hip, fundie social media influencer" everything from the pose and "artistic photo angle" to the extremely long preachy caption.

Girl is working that brand.

Are the people in the last picture known or just random couples they met on the cruise? Could it be some kind of "fundie light couple's retreat"? Looks like Alyssa has ditched even the last bit of modest clothes, wearing booty shorts really leaves no way to twist it.

2 hours ago, faraway said:

Are the people in the last picture known or just random couples they met on the cruise? Could it be some kind of "fundie light couple's retreat"? Looks like Alyssa has ditched even the last bit of modest clothes, wearing booty shorts really leaves no way to twist it.

Those are family and friends.

I wonder how a group of fundies cope with all the bikini clad people on the cruise? Alyssa's shorts are very short, good for her. 

But, but, there's alcohol, music, dancing, pools, sunbathing and oh the horror, bikini's ... truly the last place I'd expect to see a Bates! 

However, that being said, I've seen just about everything on cruises.  It just seems like a ... very heathen type vacation for them.  LOL a Bates, in Nassau, on a beach, not something you'd think you'd see!

Alyssa has come a longggggg way from the frumpers! You know she was just DYING to get out of those prairie dresses. I'm not surprised she married so young - it was her ticket out if nothing else- but seeing her current lifestyle, I'm amazed she didn't openly rebel while at the Bates house. 

Not only Alyssa is wearing less-modest (but more normal) clothing, de tank that John is wearing (is it called a tank for men as well?) doesn't seem like a fundy-approved clothing item either. Both are wearing clothes that non-fundies would/could also wear on a cruise, and they seem to be comfortable in it. Good for them! 

(I know that dressing less conservatively doesn’t mean that they aren’t fundy anymore. But imo it does mean that they start to make decisions for themselves, based on ideas/values/boundaries they have set (for) themselves. It shows that they start to explore with what they are comfortable with within their belief system.)

I'm thrilled to see Alyssa in shorts and a tank. You know she was rocking a real bathing suit on the cruise! Obviously they are still conservatives but to me this just shows they are making their own decisions about what to do in their family!

Didn't realize it before but it looks like Duggar-wedding coordinator Laura was on this trip. Looks like she may have been one of the very few single ladies on the trip. I can't imagine it's fun hanging out with a bunch of married couples... married fundie couples...

4 hours ago, Oh_Dear! said:

Didn't realize it before but it looks like Duggar-wedding coordinator Laura was on this trip. Looks like she may have been one of the very few single ladies on the trip. I can't imagine it's fun hanging out with a bunch of married couples... married fundie couples...

I guess it's not too bad since they're all fundies and it was 4 couples and 3 single ladies. I'm surprised the single ladies even got to go... Tori Webster at least had her siblings to supervise her but the other 2 grown up women were pretty much unsupervised without a male relative!  :wtsf: Also you have to remember that this is the only way for Alyssa to go on a girl's trip with her friends - married and with her husband.

13 hours ago, llg1234 said:

It's not Sunday without at least one Bates outfit post. 

The Bates are really turning into hipster fundies. At least by the look of their outfits. They dress way more modern than the Duggar children still at home.

20 hours ago, candygirl200413 said:

I've been trying to figure out if she's wearing a jumpsuit in that bottom left hand photo!

I can't tell. Not many woman can wear a jumpsuit well--but she could

Those Batessssss really had a great relaunch. It is rather impressive. I wonder if they came up with it themselves (and if this happened intentionally) or if they do have a PR person (from UP?)?

Trace is taking style tips from Justin Trudeau, I see. Can't wait till he declares himself a feminist!

I think it's UPs doing. UP is a Christian network. They aren't going for freaky like TLC does with the Duggars. They are going for wholesome, conservative, but relateable Christian family.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived