IGNORED

JinJer 27?: Wearing Black Pants in the Heat of Laredo

Coconut Flan

8 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Best deodorant, bar none, is Schmidt's Naturals. I use the Tea Tree Sensitive Skin one. If I do happen to sweat, there is absolutely ZERO odor. Nothing like "traditional" deodorants/antiperspirants. I don't use anything with aluminum (which most antiperspirants have).

I just tried that a few months ago, the newer charcoal magnesium one. I loved that it worked well and no sweat funk smell. But. After a couple of weeks, it started to make my armpits smell....weird. Not bad, per se. And I can't think how to describe it. I think it's possible the combo of my particular sweat, the deodorant, and my laundry detergent (also natural) just didn't get along. I was bummed. Back to zinc oxide for me. 

@Marly I wear the Xtemp ones which are put out by Hanes or something, you can get them at WM or Target. Theyre nice because they have a grippier thigh so they never ride up and they help me stay cool because I am ALWAYS hot even though I live in  the North. I was worried they'd bulge where my non-junk is too, but they don't. But I'm rather chunky so maybe my chub makes up for it 

1 hour ago, meowfundiecatz said:

For ladies who suffer from thigh chaffing, I swear by bike shorts from Walmart. If you want something shorter, Nike Pro shorts would probably work depending on what part of your thighs chafe.

I can't find any at mine. :-( I've found some online, but have just gotten used to my my guy undies lol. I often get home and take my skirt off (because, hot) and walk around in them. My kids roll their eyes, but my husband thinks it's cute. 

• Replies 597
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like to wear capri leggins under dresses.  Found some cotton ones on Amazon and they are very comfortable.  They are great under dresses and tunics.  leggings come in different lengths.  Also, as I mentioned earlier, get some shorts slips.  They are a life saver here in the hot humid climate of Florida.

2 hours ago, unspoken said:

On the topic of thank you notes, what's the general consensus for gifts given in person? For instance, you get together with a friend to celebrate your birthday and she gives you a gift, you thank her in person, would proper etiquette dictate a written thank you note as well? I feel that if the gift is given at a party (birthday or shower or wedding reception) then you definitely send a thank you note promptly. The gray area for me has always been those one on one gift exchanges. 

As for the AC discussion, this summer I've been turning down the temp to 68 whenever I can. But in my defense, I'm in the American South and I'm 7 months pregnant and chasing a toddler...it's 'effing hot y'all! :tw_sweat_smile:

I honestly have no idea if this is etiquette or not, but for one-on-one gifts, I tend to base it on the relationship I have with the person. If it's someone I'm really close to (like a good friend or a close extended relative I see or speak to frequently), I usually don't send a note on top of the verbal expression of thank you in person. Anyone else, I try to play it safe and just send off a note to express my gratitude. People just don't send thank you notes anymore so they seem to be appreciated.

On wedding thank yous - for mine, I sent the first half (mostly family members) out within the first 2months after the wedding. I made them as personal as possible so that took some time. I was hoping my husband would help with the second half (mostly our friends), but no luck. I had so much going on with grad school and work that I waited until it was 11 months post-wedding. I was embarrassed, and lamented to my MIL that I wished I had gotten them out sooner. This prompted her to go on about how a cousin's daughter (who was also in grad school and doing a subject my MIL deemed more challenging than what I went to school for - "Do you KNOW how hard that is?") got her thank yous out within a few weeks post-wedding. Well, I saw that cousin's thank you notes, and I can tell you exactly why she got her's out so fast - they were generic photo thank yous with a quick note on the back that didn't even have the gift giver's names or what the gift was ("Thank you so much for coming to our wedding, and thank you so much for the generous gift! Love, XX & XY"). No shit she got those out fast. Anyway, apologies for the rant...just thinking about it 5 years later still gets me going!

Oh, oh, one more teeny rant before I forget. One of my friends was super proud she and her husband got their wedding thank yous out within the first month of their wedding. She and her husband split the notes in half. Well, I received a thank you from her husband's half: "Thank you for comforter. It is warm." Wut? I saved that shit because it still makes me laugh. 

I remember having to sit down and write personal thank you notes after my bat mitzvah, even for my parents' friends when I had no idea who they were.

30 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

I remember having to sit down and write personal thank you notes after my bat mitzvah, even for my parents' friends when I had no idea who they were.

I had to do that also. It was the worse. Espically since I don't remember getting any thank you cards. I'm sure I got them. 

5 hours ago, LacyMay said:

I've also used deodorant which works for about an hour. Recently in a pinch I used  (don't judge me!) Dry shampoo and it wasn't the worst thing. 

I will need to look for the monistat anti chafe stuff, if it acts like a primer I can see it being useful. 

Stick with deodorant it is cheaper. The monistat anti chafe cream is like cream used to hide pours under make up. I found deoderant was cheaper and works way better. I use it under my boobs too, life saver with my E cups.

As for thank you notes, in the duggars case they have over 500 thank you cards to write. That is going to take some time.

Mine were all done in 2 months. I did the old bitchy people who would complain to my mom on the fights to and from our Homeymoon, had the 1st 30 or so done in 1 week to keep her off my back. She was impressed when she asked me, when she picked me up from the airport when I would have them done.  I knew that was coming which is why I started. One old biddy was actually upset it took a week, we were on our damn honeymoon, ya old bat give me a break, but I also expected that so hers was the 1st one I wrote.

That left me with about 75 more which dh helped me do over the next 6 weeks, we tried to do 5 each a night, he did about 30 total, better than nothing for sure.  I did spend 1 Saturday writing the last 20/25 thank you'd just to get them out of the way.

i think depending on the size of the wedding 3 or 4 months is perfectly reasonable, but know that some people will expect that thank you note to practically beat them home from the reception. Oh a helpful hint when sending wedding invites print out a 2nd set of mailing labels (or 1st depending now how you address them) and keep them hat way you can just slap the lable on the envelope when needed.

9 hours ago, Greendoor said:

Here you go Mama, it's what they gave us when Canada went metric.

20 mph gives you 30 kmph

30          gives you 50

50          gives you 80

60          gives you 90

Pretty darn accurate, and you mostly don't need to go faster or slower than that. 

Many thanks to you and @karen77!

long ago on my first trip to Canada I learned this ditty for weather and still use it. 

30's hot

20's nice

10 is cool

and zero's ice

14 minutes ago, Jana814 said:

I had to do that also. It was the worse. Espically since I don't remember getting any thank you cards. I'm sure got them. 

I don't remember getting any either (shows how much kids care about this kind of thing, haha). 

@allthegoodnamesrgone I don't expect the Duggars will write thank you notes. They aren't exactly familiar with etiquette.

Who the heck expects a couple to do their thank you notes on their honeymoon? Screw that.

3 hours ago, unspoken said:

On the topic of thank you notes, what's the general consensus for gifts given in person? For instance, you get together with a friend to celebrate your birthday and she gives you a gift, you thank her in person, would proper etiquette dictate a written thank you note as well? I feel that if the gift is given at a party (birthday or shower or wedding reception) then you definitely send a thank you note promptly. The gray area for me has always been those one on one gift exchanges.

If I open the present directly I thank the person right away. When I remember it I sometimes send a text or mention the next time we see or hear each other how I used it/ liked to read it/ enjoyed the activity. I really don't think you have to send an extra note.

At big parties you often don't get to open the gifts, which means you have no idea what you got. If you have a registrar the chances are high the gifts get delivered later. So mostly you get  congratulated and you simply thank them for being there. 

17 hours ago, Lurky said:

I'm often in my jeans in heatwaves, because (so shameful to admit) when I sweat a lot, my thighs rub together and chafe and I get sweat-rash (like nappy rash).  When I wear loose cotton (which my shorts & capris are), it can still chafe, as the cotton rubs, so I'm always sad to have to wear leggings under dresses, and jeans in the heat.  It's always been this way, even when I was a super-fit teenager.

So, collective FJ wisdom holders - any ideas how to stop this?  I'd love to go bare legged under a sundress, while it's heatwaving here in the UK!

I haven't read through to see if anyone else responded, so if this is a double post, forgive me. I have the same issue and use a few different things. There is a product called bandelettes that go around your thighs to prevent chaffing. I also just got a pair of sliders (i'm not sure the technical name of them) from the women's underwear section at Target. Basically, they are like bike shorts, but much softer/thinner. Last summer was the first summer I wore shorts and I have no idea how I managed to live in Florida in jeans through our summers before then. 

17 hours ago, Markie said:

Canadians tend to say distance in time. For example I would say I grew up 2 1/2 hours from Toronto. You tend to average about 100 km/ hour, so the distance is 250 km. In miles you drive about a mile a minute, so that same distance would be 150 miles. The conversion is miles x 1.6 = km, or  km x .6 = miles, but I find the time method easier for conversions. City distances are harder, since you don't travel 100km/hour, or 1 mile/minute...

A lot of people in Michigan use time in relation to distances too. The most common question I get is how far away from Detroit are we? Of course that and the pointing on my left hand!

22 hours ago, JemimaPuddle-Duck said:

Same here! It's maddening. I've heard that people rub deodorant on their thighs where they chafe and that helps, but I find that hard to believe so, of course, I haven't tried it. I don't always want leggings to show so now I wear men's boxer briefs under shorter skirt. I have a friend who swear by jockey shorties, but the boxer briefsI buy are nice and long, the material is thin enough, and they aren't horribly tight. 

I have really thick, muscular thighs (ugh - I hate them, but they are like the boobs and the butt - eternally ample no matter how much weight I loose), and I always wear unscented antiperspirant on my inner thighs. Failure to do so results in incredibly painful rashes and chafing. With the antiperspirant, I have no problem wearing skirts and dresses without the bike shorts (I prefer them to pants). Sports stores do sell chafe or blister guard for runners (mini sticks to prevent foot blisters and deodorant sized sticks to use on the legs/arms), which also works well but is more expensive, and unless you frequent such places or remember to order online, more difficult to obtain. 

Funnily enough for my inner history geek, the one stick of blister guard I got was parafin and aloe, which is similar to a recipe for skin guard creme (parafin and glycerine to be cut into soap like blocks) I found in a 1830's era household management book - proof that like my thighs, chub rub is eternal :pb_lol:

7 hours ago, Shadoewolf said:

A lot of people in Michigan use time in relation to distances too. The most common question I get is how far away from Detroit are we? Of course that and the pointing on my left hand!

I'm pretty sure people do that all over North America ( US and Canada) At least where I've lived, in the tri-state area and Maryland people will say they live x minutes/hours away from y city. Even when I meet people from Massachusetts or Pennsylvania or Florida they'll say that. Of course, people do also have other ways of saying where they're from, like in Maryland they all identify themseves by counties if they're really far from Baltimore or Annapolis, and other people tend to just say the city if they're talking to someone unfamiliar with their state. 

11 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Who the heck expects a couple to do their thank you notes on their honeymoon? Screw that.

Warning: stream of consciousness sex stuff...

So I just woke up and my brain is still in dream mode I think, but this immediately gave me a mental picture of trying to write thank yous while doing the deed and then people opening them and trying to read what looks like seismograph font. 

1 hour ago, Gillyweed said:

I'm pretty sure people do that all over North America ( US and Canada) At least where I've lived, in the tri-state area and Maryland people will say they live x minutes/hours away from y city. Even when I meet people from Massachusetts or Pennsylvania or Florida they'll say that. Of course, people do also have other ways of saying where they're from, like in Maryland they all identify themseves by counties if they're really far from Baltimore or Annapolis, and other people tend to just say the city if they're talking to someone unfamiliar with their state. 

Same here, two hours north of Seattle (I honestly don't even know the mileage). If I'm on the other side of the country, I've learned you don't say Washington when asked where you are from (they just guess D.C... so annoying) but we just say Seattle at that point, no one knows the smaller towns around here when they live in Florida, or something!

On two specific occasions, I felt obligated to give gifts to couples who should not have invited me in the first place. At one, I took the gift myself and put it on the gift table. I never received a thank-you note. To this day, I don't know if they even got it.

Another was out of town, and I had the department store where they were registered send the gift a month before the wedding. Never heard squat from them either.

I don't care if they liked it, used it, exchanged it, re-gifted it, returned it or WHAT. I just want to know that they GOT it.

I had all my thank-yous written within 4 weeks of my first wedding. Six months later, a distant relative called my mother to ask why she hadn't received her "thank you" for the gift she sent. (Apparently, she sent a salt/pepper set from my registered pattern.) I never got it. She never believed that. Whatev.

I had breast cancer in 2004.I was lucky.They found it early.I had a lumpectomy my nymph nodes were not affected.I had 28 radiation treatments,and I took tamoxifen for 5 years.I was able to work,on light-duty but had to leave an hour early to go downtown to my treatment.They gave me a bag of products they wanted me to use,deodorant,lotion etc.I was told not to use deodorant on my affected side when going to treatment...so I had go to work,in a warehouse,in SC ,in the summer with deodorant under one arm.I kept discreetly asking people if I smelled...I felt like I did.I have used deodorant since then.When you try natural deodorants..sometimes you have to try a few to find one that works best for you.I know I did.I can't remember which ones,but there were a few...the crystal did not work at all for me.I also use sulfate free shampoo,also known as "low poo".I have used shampoo bars,and some work great,but with them they recommend an acid rinse(water and vinegar...I have used black coffee ,seems to do better for me)I belong to a group where people are No Poo,Low Poo or OH Poo(shampoo bars), and they talk about what works for them,but I am too lazy to be using a bunch of different concoctions on my hair...rye flour,soap nuts,applesauce,honey, an egg etc....black coffee or vinegar is as far as I go...lol.

I got married in March, and thank you notes have been more of a struggle than I expected. Other life shit hit the fan soon afterwards and it took a month or two to find the time and mental energy to get the first batch out. I did want to sit down and write nice, meaningful notes, so it took a little focus.

There has been some confusion for the remaining ones...We asked for donations in our name to Planned Parenthood, the Human Rights Campaign, and a few others if people felt moved. However, people assumed the organization would tell us about the donation and they didn't always. So for those who haven't given us gifts or a donation notification, we don't know if they did something and we just don't know, or if they didn't get us anything. Which is fine either way! I don't expect or require gifts. We already asked people travel to our city and I was just glad they made the effort to come. But I don't want to send a card just thanking them for coming and leave out a gift we didn't know about... Plus since it hasn't been a year maybe those people will still send us something? I don't know. I would just ask but I don't know how to do that without making it sound like "where's my gift????" and that's really not what I mean.

I wanted to be done with everything wedding so badly that I got married on a Saturday and did all my thank yous on Sunday evening. Sent them out Monday morning. Then got a few texts from friends who said we made them look embarassingly slow. 

18 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

I have 2 pairs of slip shorts, they are the best thing ever, so comfy and cool, and I will sleep in them when it is really hot out. 

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived