IGNORED

JinJer 27?: Wearing Black Pants in the Heat of Laredo

Coconut Flan

• Replies 597
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, KelseyAnn said:

While I'm 90 percent liberal, gun's are my Achilles heel. And I agree, I don't think I should have to turn in my liberal card because I love guns of all sizes. Nor do I think I'm 'overcompensating' for something when I shoot a big scary looking gun. 

Same. I love shooting my AR15 and my various handguns. Brit-born hubby is into sport shooting/hunting too. I love putting holes in paper at 50 yards (or in pumpkins or watermelons or beer cans). I also love "cutting down trees" with rifles. That's always fun. :)

1 minute ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Same. I love shooting my AR15 and my various handguns. Brit-born hubby is into sport shooting/hunting too. I love putting holes in paper at 50 yards (or in pumpkins or watermelons or beer cans). I also love "cutting down trees" with rifles. That's always fun. :)

My personal favorite was emasculating my now ex by shooting way better than he ever could. 

Just now, KelseyAnn said:

My personal favorite was emasculating my now ex by shooting way better than he ever could. 

I could outshoot my ex too.

Funny:  the first time DH and I went out shooting, I think I scared him. Or impressed him. 6 beer cans on a fallen tree, 6 bullets (from my .38 revolver - I've had that gun since I was 16), 6 obliterated cans. Yeehaw!

And yeah- I have a concealed carry permit. :) 

Just now, SapphireSlytherin said:

And yeah- I have a concealed carry permit. :) 

I'd rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it. 

1 hour ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Weighing in on guns: I'm as liberal as liberal goes. And guess what? I enjoy going to the shooting range from time to time and I like that I know how to handle a firearm. My dad owns a few guns and he and I go to the range to fire off some rounds when I go up to see my parents (who are also very liberal). At some point I'd like to try firing a gun like the one Jeremy's posing with, just to see what it's like. But I'm also very pro-gun control (no gun show sales, background checks and waiting periods for all sales, mandatory safety classes to or retain a license), and I'd be perfectly happy if those sorts of guns were only available for the military and maybe for rental at licensed, secure firing ranges.

But I guess I should turn in my Bleeding Heart Liberal card because I think it's fun to fire a handgun at a target sometimes.

Bleeding heart liberal as well and I also like target practice.  Gun laws need to be stricter though. 

1 minute ago, itqitc said:

Bleeding heart liberal as well and I also like target practice.  Gun laws need to be stricter though. 

Nah. The LAWS are strict enough. What we need is ENFORCEMENT OF THE LAWS THAT ALREADY EXIST.

1 hour ago, KelseyAnn said:

I'm proud of her trigger discipline! Good job, Jing!

In fact, I think if they happen to live in a dangerous area than they really SHOULD know how to use a gun. Sometimes the police just aren't fast enough. 

Trigger discipline? Girlfriend has her right index finger in the trigger loop, and the gun pointed up in the air. She should take a lesson from Jeremy, who has his trigger finger rightly pointed to the side of the trigger, and the gun pointed down.

1 hour ago, Molly said:

What stood out to me was that she looks so happy! Guns are not my thing and not really needed where I live but I can appreciate people securing themselves as long as they're being safe and responsible with them. 

She needs a few more gun safety lessons, IMO, maybe not so much aiming, but definitely how to comport self with a gun.

2 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Nah. The LAWS are strict enough. What we need is ENFORCEMENT OF THE LAWS THAT ALREADY EXIST.

I can't upvote this enough. 

Just now, Four is Enough said:

Trigger discipline? Girlfriend has her right index finger in the trigger loop, and the gun pointed up in the air. She should take a lesson from Jeremy, who has his trigger finger rightly pointed to the side of the trigger, and the gun pointed down.

She needs a few more gun safety lessons, IMO, maybe not so much aiming, but definitely how to comport self with a gun.

I don't think her fingers are on the trigger, but I'm not wearing my contacts. 

1 minute ago, KelseyAnn said:

I don't think her fingers are on the trigger, but I'm not wearing my contacts. 

Gun safety lesson I took said specifically that unlesss shooting, the trigger finger was to be held alongside the trigger. Both left and right index fingers are semi hooked into the trigger loop. She's Duggar-sloppy.

2 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

Zoomed in - her finger appears to be resting at the bottom of the loop; that bugs me - however, the gun is clearly empty and won't fire.

1 minute ago, Four is Enough said:

Gun safety lesson I took said specifically that unlesss shooting, the trigger finger was to be held alongside the trigger. Both left and right index fingers are semi hooked into the trigger loop. She's Duggar-sloppy.

But I honestly don't they are. I think JInger has the tips of them resting on the sides of the gun and they just look like they're bent into touching the trigger. But again, I am not wearing my contacts. 

1 minute ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Zoomed in - her finger appears to be resting at the bottom of the loop; that bugs me - however, the gun is clearly empty and won't fire.

Doesn't matter. That is sloppy as fuck and it's a bad habit. If you handle guns, you must think safety first at all times.

On 7/7/2017 at 5:15 AM, jerkit said:

My mom had very bad asthma and it was easier for her to breathe if the house was very cold year round. It was about 65F in my house growing up and colder in the finished basement where I spent most of my time. I got used to it and now anything over 68F indoors is hot to me. 

For me it's the opposite. I developed asthma in 2003, when I was 38. And cold is the worst trigger. It was caused by mold exposure, but that is second. If I'm cold, I can't breathe well, unless, oddly, it's just bizarrely cold, like 20 or something. Inside, I need it to be 70 or above. Outside varies, depending on dampness and other things.

By the way, also hearkening back to yesterday, I like my method of temperature conversion. I memorized Celsius by 5s. For every 5 degrees, you add 9 in F.

0=32, 5=41, 10=50, 15=59, 20=68, 25=77, 30=86, 35=95. You just have to be able to count by nine, and it's easy to estimate the bits in the middle.

Jinger is a lefty. Her left finger is not in the loop, neither is her right. Agree it's sloppy, but there is zero danger here.

IMG_4351.PNG.7d0ca7080954ea3e1c155992537bd9b2.PNG

Just now, SapphireSlytherin said:

Jinger is a lefty. Her left finger is not in the loop, neither is her right. Agree it's sloppy, but there is zero danger here.

IMG_4351.PNG.7d0ca7080954ea3e1c155992537bd9b2.PNG

THANK YOU! I thought I was going blind!

We (U.S.) need to enforce the laws we already have. Otherwise, there is no point in making more. They won't be enforced.

1 hour ago, Kangaroo said:

American's and guns is honestly one of the most confusing aspects of your culture to me.

So other than saying at least it is in a reasonably controlled setting, I'm not getting involved on this one!

Exact same thought. I hate guns and wouldn't let one in the house but to each their own. 

Yeah, it's easy to forget sometimes that Jinger is left-handed.

I've never shot a gun myself, but my dad shoots left-handed (dominant eye issue; he is just about legally blind in his right eye and has to use his left eye to aim...he first figured out to shoot left-handed when he was in the Marine Corps).  I am interested in taking up archery at some point and would likely have to use a left-handed bow because I am left-eye dominant (the vision in my right eye isn't great, but is nowhere near as bad as my dad's) and usually prefer to look through small spaces (viewfinders, door peepholes, camcorders) with my left eye.  Otherwise, both dad and I are naturally right-handed.

1 hour ago, Kangaroo said:

American's and guns is honestly one of the most confusing aspects of your culture to me.

So other than saying at least it is in a reasonably controlled setting, I'm not getting involved on this one!

I've lived in the US (the southern US , no less!) for my entire life, and our collective gun fixation confuses the hell out of me. The available research (that which hasn't been stymied or gone unfunded thanks to the gun lobby) shows that, statistically, owning a gun makes you and your family less safe and the relationship between open and concealed carry laws to violent crime rates is far less clear-cut than the NRA would have you believe. As a Quaker, my religious beliefs are not in line with owning a firearm, but even if I weren't, I still wouldn't because I'm not comfortable with assuming that level of risk. Everyone's a responsible gun owner until their kid somehow gets a hold of it and accidentally kills or maims someone. 

I think that rhetoric surrounding gun ownership as a means of protection in the face of statistical evidence to the contrary is a really fascinating example of the Just World Fallacy as well as the Dunning-Kruger Effect in action.  Everyone thinks they're a safe gun owner, but the number of kids who are hurt and killed in handgun accidents each year indicates otherwise. 

(I feel that I should disclaim that I was raised in a very pro-gun environment and have fired many types of firearms. It wasn't fun and I remain unconvinced that mass gun ownership is a good idea.)

I think someone mentioned it, but baind aid makes a friction proof/ blister block stick that fits in your purse and means I can wear whatever ridiculous shoes I want from the five fingered toe shoes to flouncy tall heels. Usually in the section with shoe polish I think, but fair warning that sucker will melt if you leave it in your hot car!

They look like they're at a range or on a private ranch, I do hope Jinger respects her connection with Rufus enough not to hunt in Texas at the corn feeder stations, especially not with her car (bahaha).   I'm not a hunter myself and fall more along the vegetarian diet, but I know there's a bunch of wild hogs on the ranches and have ridden shotgun in the truest sense to scare the packs away as they charge. 

8 minutes ago, Snowless said:

snip

I am interested in taking up archery at some point and would likely have to use a left-handed bow because I am left-eye dominant (the vision in my right eye isn't great, but is nowhere near as bad as my dad's) and usually prefer to look through small spaces (viewfinders, door peepholes, camcorders) with my left eye.  Otherwise, both dad and I are naturally right-handed.

Righty here, left-eyed, as well. I shoot long guns mostly lefty--until my shoulder hurts, then I switch to righty. It's handy for sporting clays - my shoulders can only take about 60-70 rounds each before I'm in too much pain. lol   I also like target shooting (long guns) with folks who don't know my eye issue because they just assume I'm a lefty, but then I switch shooting to the right. lol. My AR-15 has a little "knobby thing" to keep the ejected shell from flying back/right because I shoot it lefty 90% of the time. 

Handguns are easier to shoot righty with my left eye.

10 minutes ago, JesusCampSongs said:

.  Everyone thinks they're a safe gun owner, but the number of kids who are hurt and killed in handgun accidents each year indicates otherwise. 

Bad gun owners shouldn't reflect on the rest of us. Just like those who abuse their rights to free speech shouldn't mean that it get's taken away from the rest of us.  

12 minutes ago, JesusCampSongs said:

Everyone thinks they're a safe gun owner, but the number of kids who are hurt and killed in handgun accidents each year indicates otherwise. 

I come from a long - VERY long - line of gun owners. We always had guns readily available (yes:  loaded.  yes:  unlocked.  no:  not in a safe). Nobody in my family has ever been injured or killed with these guns. Notice I said "with" - not "by." HUGE difference. All of my relatives (and friends, for that matter) were taught gun safety from the time we could walk/talk. 

There are no handgun "accidents." These tragic situations occur when children are not taught gun safety. 

The NRA has a fantastic program that they'll willingly take into schools to teach children about gun safety, in the event the parents don't/won't.

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived