IGNORED

JinJer 27?: Wearing Black Pants in the Heat of Laredo

Coconut Flan

I had a roommate in grad school who kept turning the thermostat up to 80. I kept turning it to something normal, she kept turning it back up. I tried sitting in the kitchen in a sports bra and short shorts and she just laughed. When the bill came it was huge, and I used that to convince her to have it set at something reasonable and she got a space heater for her room. But I also thought it was ridiculous that if she kept this up I'd need a fan to keep me cool in the MICHIGAN WINTER.

• Replies 597
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Feel I should offer up this neat little mental arithmetic trick I was taught years ago that pretty much translates between F and C and vice versa. It's likely not the most accurate in the world, but it's enough for a European/American to pretty much understand what the heck is getting talked about in mixed company.

C to F:

Take temp in C

Double it.

Does total come out under 76, or at/above 76?

Under: add 26 = temp in F

At/above: add 29 = temp in F

F to C:

Is it above 101?

Yes: take off 29; halve total = temp in C

No: take off 26; halve total = temp in C

Somewhere along the way we lost count of the Jinjer threads.  @Coconut Flan I think we're up to number 27 which would include the courting and engagement threads.

Thanks.  I went back and started trying to number them and got distracted by visiting the grandchildren and from one thing and another (sick Dawg, broken wireless router, dying A/C, etc.) I haven't gotten back to it. 

1 minute ago, Coconut Flan said:

Thanks.  I went back and started trying to number them and got distracted by visiting the grandchildren and from one thing and another (sick Dawg, broken wireless router, dying A/C, etc.) I haven't gotten back to it. 

Sounds more fun than counting the Jinjer threads, but I got curious.  :my_biggrin:

C to F conversion I use: 16C = 61F and 28C = 82F , and most people know 0C = 32F. You can estimate most temperatures if you know those conversions. 

Grandchildren are definitely more fun than counting and editing the Jinjer threads putting in the numbers.  There is another Duggar couple I need to number also I think.

10 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

There is another Duggar couple I need to number also I think.

I think it's Joy & Austin. 

54 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

I had a roommate in grad school who kept turning the thermostat up to 80. I kept turning it to something normal, she kept turning it back up. I tried sitting in the kitchen in a sports bra and short shorts and she just laughed. When the bill came it was huge, and I used that to convince her to have it set at something reasonable and she got a space heater for her room. But I also thought it was ridiculous that if she kept this up I'd need a fan to keep me cool in the MICHIGAN WINTER.

During grad school I never turned the heat on in my apartment. I lived there for five semesters, through two Michigan winters. Most of the people in my building were from the Indian subcontinent and they kept their apartments so warm I was fine with just the residual heat from the apartments around me. I even kept the window cracked most of the winter- I think I closed it about 5 or 6 times a year when we had really bad storms.

@HarryPotterFan That reminds me how one of my suitemates did that and even after having our RA and two meetings just to calmly discuss it, on a cold spell the day of our first finals she turned it all the way to the lowest degree and I had to take a shower to warm myself up before heading to my final.

I work second shift, and one day I came in and it was positively sweltering in our office. Realized a couple of hours later that the first shift had turned the HEAT on in the middle of JUNE in the American South. Apparently they turn the heat on every morning. My Christmas present to each of them this year is going to be a sweatshirt. 

1 hour ago, Markie said:

C to F conversion I use: 16C = 61F and 28C = 82F , and most people know 0C = 32F. You can estimate most temperatures if you know those conversions. 

I like that AND @MadeItOut's- now, any help in the miles <~> kilometers ????  I'd buy dinner if you gave me one I could remember and use!!!

I'm often in my jeans in heatwaves, because (so shameful to admit) when I sweat a lot, my thighs rub together and chafe and I get sweat-rash (like nappy rash).  When I wear loose cotton (which my shorts & capris are), it can still chafe, as the cotton rubs, so I'm always sad to have to wear leggings under dresses, and jeans in the heat.  It's always been this way, even when I was a super-fit teenager.

So, collective FJ wisdom holders - any ideas how to stop this?  I'd love to go bare legged under a sundress, while it's heatwaving here in the UK!

I'm sensitive to cold (AC is the bane of my existence) but still would never wear pants when it's warmer than 75 degrees out. I don't know how people do it -- I'm so much more comfortable in a skirt (even a long one) or shorts. Legs need air! 

In New York I just pack away my jeans for the summer. This year I'm in northern Germany for the summer and it's been between the 50s and low 70s, so I'm living in the two pairs of jeans I brought, plus flannels and wool socks.  Ugh. I miss summer!

42 minutes ago, Lurky said:

I'm often in my jeans in heatwaves, because (so shameful to admit) when I sweat a lot, my thighs rub together and chafe and I get sweat-rash (like nappy rash).  When I wear loose cotton (which my shorts & capris are), it can still chafe, as the cotton rubs, so I'm always sad to have to wear leggings under dresses, and jeans in the heat.  It's always been this way, even when I was a super-fit teenager.

So, collective FJ wisdom holders - any ideas how to stop this?  I'd love to go bare legged under a sundress, while it's heatwaving here in the UK!

Same here! It's maddening. I've heard that people rub deodorant on their thighs where they chafe and that helps, but I find that hard to believe so, of course, I haven't tried it. I don't always want leggings to show so now I wear men's boxer briefs under shorter skirt. I have a friend who swear by jockey shorties, but the boxer briefsI buy are nice and long, the material is thin enough, and they aren't horribly tight. 

My mom had very bad asthma and it was easier for her to breathe if the house was very cold year round. It was about 65F in my house growing up and colder in the finished basement where I spent most of my time. I got used to it and now anything over 68F indoors is hot to me. 

57 minutes ago, Lurky said:

I'm often in my jeans in heatwaves, because (so shameful to admit) when I sweat a lot, my thighs rub together and chafe and I get sweat-rash (like nappy 

I am in the U.K. and have this issue too! I am currently wearing Lycra cycling shorts under my dress but I have also tried the deodorant trick and found that it worked for about five hours then I had to put more on. Lycra shorts are the best though for longer dresses and skirts.

Monistat Chafing Relief Powder Gel is excellent for inner thigh rub, or chafing anywhere. It sells for around $6 for a 1.5 oz tube. Usually found near the feminine hygiene products. It is basically dimethicone, which is the main ingredient in most facial primers. I learned about it a couple years ago on a makeup forum, because it is almost identical to Smashbox Photo Finish Primer, at a fraction of the cost. So, I use it as a makeup primer and also to keep my thighs from sticking when i wear a skirt or dress, and on my feet to prevent blisters in new shoes. 

4 hours ago, Lurky said:

Body Glide stick.  Amazon has it, some drug stores and most sporting stores.  Also works great on your feet when you wear shoes that are likely to give you blisters.

3 hours ago, jerkit said:

My mom had very bad asthma and it was easier for her to breathe if the house was very cold year round. It was about 65F in my house growing up and colder in the finished basement where I spent most of my time. I got used to it and now anything over 68F indoors is hot to me. 

I have a basement apartment, where my upstairs neighbours control the heat.  My apartment never goes above 20/21c (or 70ish F), in the winter or the summer.  I've gotten used to it as well and find that when I go anywhere else, I find it very warm as well.

8 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

I like that AND @MadeItOut's- now, any help in the miles <~> kilometers ????  I'd buy dinner if you gave me one I could remember and use!!!

Canadians tend to say distance in time. For example I would say I grew up 2 1/2 hours from Toronto. You tend to average about 100 km/ hour, so the distance is 250 km. In miles you drive about a mile a minute, so that same distance would be 150 miles. The conversion is miles x 1.6 = km, or  km x .6 = miles, but I find the time method easier for conversions. City distances are harder, since you don't travel 100km/hour, or 1 mile/minute...

8 minutes ago, Markie said:

Canadians tend to say distance in time. For example I would say I grew up 2 1/2 hours from Toronto.

I didn't realize this was a Canadian thing, but we totally do. And it's always time from a city that people will know. 

10 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

I didn't realize this was a Canadian thing, but we totally do. And it's always time from a city that people will know. 

Yes! Thinking about it now it totally is our thing!

26 minutes ago, Markie said:

Canadians tend to say distance in time. For example I would say I grew up 2 1/2 hours from Toronto.

Not a "Canadian thing" at all. I grew up in the USA South and that was standard, as it is in the Midwest, where I live now: 

"I live an hour from my University."

"My parents live three hours away."

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived