IGNORED

JinJer 27?: Wearing Black Pants in the Heat of Laredo

Coconut Flan

I love Lavanila deodorant, I order sample sizes in different "scents" plus the sport version from Sephora. Burt's Bees Cornstarch powder for swampy boobs. I wear fitted running shorts under skirts. They are like what cyclists or marathoners wear. 

Swamp Ass and such = excess sweating in private parts. Requires showers and changes.

Back to Wimbledon. 

• Replies 597
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Growing up, we jokingly referred to the heated seats in my Mom's car as the "swamp ass".   She does not like heated seats and was always accidentally hitting the button and saying, "Oh no, I turned the swamp ass on!"  

I love Gold Bond type powder for swampy boobs.  Can't use anything based on corn starch, my body just feasts on it and I wind up with a yeast infection.

1 hour ago, Swamptribe said:

I'm sorry, but how does moving, or having a baby (which takes 9 months) prevent you from penning a few thank you notes each day?   

Not every pregnancy lasts 9 months. I miscarried almost four months after our wedding. It was an early loss, but I was devastated and pretty useless for a while. When I got pregnant a second time two months later I spent a lot of time worrying about what might happen... I wound up with a preterm birth at 34 weeks. My daughter is a healthy and perfect 7 month old now, but I really wish my pregnancy had lasted the full 40 weeks.

We got our thank you's out within two months after our wedding. So my experiences didn't impact it in anyway. But it very well could for some couples and I do think it's a bit unfair to judge every couple who fails to send timely thank you's by the same standard. Some couples do honestly have legitimate excuses.

ETA: I know what you meant. I just want to point out that, unfortunately, things aren't always as straightforward as we'd like. :) 

1 hour ago, DancingPhalanges said:

Swamp Ass and such = excess sweating in private parts. Requires showers and changes.

Well, I'm glad there's a phrase for it.  Just hoping for a cure. 

10 hours ago, Lurky said:

So, collective FJ wisdom holders - any ideas how to stop this?  I'd love to go bare legged under a sundress, while it's heatwaving here in the UK!

I use Desitin multi-purpose diaper ointment (it's a white petroleum jelly based skin protectant)

10 hours ago, JemimaPuddle-Duck said:

Same here! It's maddening. I've heard that people rub deodorant on their thighs where they chafe and that helps, but I find that hard to believe so, of course, I haven't tried it. I don't always want leggings to show so now I wear men's boxer briefs under shorter skirt. I have a friend who swear by jockey shorties, but the boxer briefsI buy are nice and long, the material is thin enough, and they aren't horribly tight. 

I love slip shorts for this (confession, I actually wore these under my wedding dress because the bandelettes I ordered turned out to be terrible.) 

I've also used deodorant which works for about an hour. Recently in a pinch I used  (don't judge me!) Dry shampoo and it wasn't the worst thing. 

I will need to look for the monistat anti chafe stuff, if it acts like a primer I can see it being useful. 

Yep it's hot and humid as hell in the southern us....but we're missing the point. We have seen that Jinger can wear pants or shorts, and at least have this tiny choice that her sisters don't seem to have. It is a tiny baby step towards autonomy. Wear your long pants girl!

Don't expect me to "cover my plate" cost at your wedding reception. Throw the wedding you can afford.

I'll give you the gift I can afford, and it will be thoughtful and geared to your taste. interest, and my budget.

Homemade mints, cake, and punch make a FINE wedding reception. Many people don't drink or dance all that much.

So are buffet receptions at the fire/church/Elks/etc hall. (see "you can afford," above.) I've rarely been to a plated dinner reception. I'm uncomfortable when a lot of people are getting completely smashed drinking and I know they'll be out on the roads later. I guess I should say it offends me that people are so cavalier with their safety and mine just because the booze is flowing.

Yes, capris are good for avoiding "the chafe".

13 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

Don't expect me to "cover my plate" cost at your wedding reception. Throw the wedding you can afford.

I'll give you the gift I can afford, and it will be thoughtful and geared to your taste. interest, and my budget.

Homemade mints, cake, and punch make a FINE wedding reception. Many people don't drink or dance all that much.

So are buffet receptions at the fire/church/Elks/etc hall. (see "you can afford," above.) I've rarely been to a plated dinner reception. I'm uncomfortable when a lot of people are getting completely smashed drinking and I know they'll be out on the roads later. I guess I should say it offends me that people are so cavalier with their safety and mine just because the booze is flowing.

Yes, capris are good for avoiding "the chafe".

My brother had an open bar for his wedding reception and people got messy. I was about 11 at the time, and let me tell you, I got an education watching that dance floor. :puke-front: (I also saw my grandma doing the cabbage patch so that was worth it, but other than that...) People just pounded shots very quickly because they could, and it really turned me off to having a completely open bar for my own wedding. Granted, if people want to get trashed, they're going to get trashed. 

My brother was going to have an open bar at his wedding (which thankfully didn't happen). I wanted to give the bartender pictures of people who should be limited in their alcohol intake. One grandma passes out from like half a glass of wine (she actually passed out at a wedding once and they had to call an ambulance) the other can be a mean drunk, my uncle says inappropriate things...

21 minutes ago, ThunderRolls said:

My brother had an open bar for his wedding reception and people got messy. I was about 11 at the time, and let me tell you, I got an education watching that dance floor. :puke-front: (I also saw my grandma doing the cabbage patch so that was worth it, but other than that...) People just pounded shots very quickly because they could, and it really turned me off to having a completely open bar for my own wedding. Granted, if people want to get trashed, they're going to get trashed. 

And this is why I was so happy that our wedding venue had a no shots rule, even with an open bar. We had wine at the cocktail hour and a completely open bar for dinner and the rest of the reception (about 5 hours total) and nobody got too drunk. It also helped that our reception was at the restaurant portion of a hotel, so most people only had to walk back to their rooms anyways. But I've been to receptions where there was an open bar with shots, and it's gotten a little out of hand (like, us bridesmaids had to put the bride to bed because she was so drunk hours before the reception was over and they had their toast with shots of fireball instead of champagne). 

As for the cover your plate rule, I think it's ridiculous. We had a smallish reception (about 65 people) at a place with a high minimum for food and beverage so the cost per plate ended up being fairly high. There's no way I would expect my friends, who were mostly in grad school at the time, to get us a gift of that value. I would have felt weird about it if they had. Almost everyone had to travel, so the cover your plate rule would have been excessive anyways. We had a lovely time and the best gift of all was having all of those people in the same place at once. 

3 hours ago, DancingPhalanges said:

I love Lavanila deodorant, I order sample sizes in different "scents" plus the sport version from Sephora. Burt's Bees Cornstarch powder for swampy boobs. I wear fitted running shorts under skirts. They are like what cyclists or marathoners wear. 

Back to Wimbledon. 

I LOVE Lavanila deodorants. They work really well for me and the scents are light and not overly perfumey. 

I used to sweat so much in high school, like outta control and had nasty pit stains on my white shirts. Then I went to Coachella, back when it was just one weekend and you had the option of buying a one day ticket. Anyway, you can bet I was sweating my ass off in the desert for those two days I went, and I swear, after that, my body learned not to sweat like crazy for no reason for a while. Then I had my babies and had a pretty gnarly post partum sweat problem. Like, I felt armpit sweat drip down my arms. At that point Lavanila worked well, but I threw the mini size in my diaper bag to reapply. I only ever had to reapply once while out. 

I also heard of using a panty liner on the inside of your sleeve to prevent pit stains. I haven't had the need to try it after I heard about it, but I wish I knew that trick in high school!

Back in the day before everything was washable, there were washable  dress shields sold to pin in your garments  to absorb sweat and save on dry cleaning.    

I stopped using antiperspirant to avoid the aluminum. First I tried a 'natural' deodorant, but found it didn't work well at all. Then I read good things about Old Spice men's deodorant and made the switch. I love it and highly recommend it! I don't notice that I sweat anymore than I did when using antiperspirant, and I smell good all day long. I find the different scent options really nice, neither too 'manly' nor too 'girly'. I personally use Wolfthorn. Ignore the dumbass product descriptions about manly men fighting like wolves and attracting females or whatever. It's a nice, sort of citrus-y berry scent. Two thumbs up. 

5 hours ago, BabyBottlePop said:

I think her shirt says "orphan care through coffee development". 

Yep. It's for "Mama Carmen's" the place where she volunteered for a day in one of the older episodes. It's also a location where the Duggars and Co. have coffee in their area.

(Now to the non-quoted text)

For ladies who suffer from thigh chaffing, I swear by bike shorts from Walmart. If you want something shorter, Nike Pro shorts would probably work depending on what part of your thighs chafe.

4 hours ago, Swamptribe said:

And yeah, last wedding we went to, I never received a thank you card for the gift card we sent.  I don't know if they got it or not

Last wedding we went to was two years ago in May. We never got a thank you card. Their Christmas card that year included a generic message printed on one side thanking everyone who came to their wedding and gave them a gift. Super tacky. I also couldn't help but wonder how awkward that was if someone who wasn't invited to the wedding got the Christmas card. 

If you have a problem with chafing thighs, check out bandelettes.com

I own three pairs and they're fantastic. Highly recommend!

Long time lurker, I signed up to recommend a chafing product for those that need it.  Monistat Chafing Relief Powder Gel works great.  It's about $6 a tube at Walmart.  Goes on silky smooth, soft, and is not greasy at all.  It's a gel but feels like a powder when applied. 

I swear by that Monistat anti-chafing gel, and I like that it doubles as a makeup primer. For me, I tend to wear bike shorts or yoga capris under skirts or dresses as that seems to stop most of the chafing. I'm also a huge fan of Certain Dri for antiperspirant, especially the solid form as my skin's too sensitive to use the roll-on version.

As far as the thank-you notes, I was also raised to send them out ASAP, and when I married my asshole ex-husband, I was embarrassed when I realized he didn't send thank-you notes when I thought he did, and while I did get them out, they were later than I would have preferred. I'm sure I shocked his relatives and friends by sending them those notes, since my ex and his mom have never done that before. Let's just say that his lack of manners is one of the many reasons he's my ex. Even if he wasn't abusive, he would have ended up being an ex anyway.

44 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Then I read good things about Old Spice men's deodorant and made the switch. I love it and highly recommend it! I don't notice that I sweat anymore than I did when using antiperspirant, and I smell good all day long. I find the different scent options really nice, neither too 'manly' nor too 'girly'. I

I'm the same way with Mennen and really any green gel looking men's stick deoderant. The lady stuff just doesn'tdeoderize me!!!

8 hours ago, Penny said:

What is the best anti antiperspirant?  I cannot stand the moist in my arm pits.

I use Crystal roll on deodorant at night, after a take a shower. https://www.amazon.com/CRYSTAL-BODY-DEODORANT-Roll-Unscented/dp/B00028QFAY?th=1.(it's unscented but they sell scented deodorant)

Then in the morning, I put on regular, normal scented deodorant that I like. I use Dove Advanced Care. https://www.amazon.com/Dove-Advanced-Antiperspirant-Deodorant-Nourished/dp/B00GY2AYAY?th=1'

Using the combination of two deodorants works for me.

If you DON'T want to sweat at all, use roll on Certain Dri. It totally prevents sweating but I recommend using a regular deodorant on top of it. It eliminates the sweaty-wetness (hence the name "Certain-Dri") but you may want to use another deodorant to cover the arm pit smell.

8 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Best deodorant, bar none, is Schmidt's Naturals. I use the Tea Tree Sensitive Skin one. If I do happen to sweat, there is absolutely ZERO odor. Nothing like "traditional" deodorants/antiperspirants. I don't use anything with aluminum (which most antiperspirants have).

I second Schmidt's. I've tried several aluminum-free deodorants and that was the only brand that kept me odor free all day in the Florida heat.

I was just saying this morning how much I appreciate having A/C.  We don't live in a high heat/high humidity area, so it is definitely a luxury, but so nice.  I do feel a little a guilty about the environmental cost, but not so much that we don't use it!  Now we don't have it on full blast.  I hate going places with aggressive ac.  Just the worst to be shivering or needing a sweater in the summertime.  We have ours set at 74F (23 C) which feels just right to me.  It does feel nice and cool when you come in from the outdoors (where it is a pleasant 28C (82F) today) and allows for comfortable sleep at night, but it also is warm enough for me to wear my summer clothes inside (usually a t shirt and capris (because I'm not a skirt kinda girl and shorts ride up on me-even when I was young my legs were always, erm, a bit stocky) It means that the house is warmer than we keep it in winter, but I prefer it that way. Its good to notice the seasons (of life.)

I am on team Body Glide too.  I don't often have thigh chafing (thanks capris) but I do get it where the band of my sports bras rub in front.  Body Glide works great for that, although lately I have been using cotton bra liners instead (Pambras is one brand, but there are others)  They tuck into the bottom of your bra without adding bulk.  They soak up the boob sweat and seem to prevent chafing and rashes etc.  Then you just stick them in the laundry ready for next time.  I use them in my regular bras too. 

Don;t even get me started on Thank you notes.  I just do not get it.  At this point the only kids I still give gifts to are my goddaughter and her siblings, mostly because at least their mother always makes a point to thank me, which is why I haven't stopped the gift train, like I have with everyone else.  She usually sends a picture of the child with the gift and tells me how much they liked it etc.  Now this is good, and pretty easy, but at this point the oldest is 15 and the youngest is 8, so why can't they send a quick note themselves?  I have never gotten a single note from the kids themselves.  They do thank me in person when I see them (they live in another country) but notes are not a thing.  I find it sort of weird because I know for a fact that 1)their mother has complained to me about her neices never sending thank-you notes and 2) These are lovely kids in general because their parents have tried to teach them manners.  Just not on this.  I don't get it.  I was required to write a thank you note for every single thing growing up.  It was a regular chore after Christmas or birthdays.  My mother thought that if somebody took the time to give me something, that I should take the time to thank them.  I agree with her. And these days it is so much easier, kids can email or FB or text or whatever.  Its not like I require monogrammed notepaper or something.   Rant over.

On the topic of thank you notes, what's the general consensus for gifts given in person? For instance, you get together with a friend to celebrate your birthday and she gives you a gift, you thank her in person, would proper etiquette dictate a written thank you note as well? I feel that if the gift is given at a party (birthday or shower or wedding reception) then you definitely send a thank you note promptly. The gray area for me has always been those one on one gift exchanges. 

As for the AC discussion, this summer I've been turning down the temp to 68 whenever I can. But in my defense, I'm in the American South and I'm 7 months pregnant and chasing a toddler...it's 'effing hot y'all! :tw_sweat_smile:

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived