IGNORED

JinJer 27?: Wearing Black Pants in the Heat of Laredo

Coconut Flan

4 hours ago, JemimaPuddle-Duck said:

Same here! It's maddening. I've heard that people rub deodorant on their thighs where they chafe and that helps, but I find that hard to believe so, of course, I haven't tried it. I don't always want leggings to show so now I wear men's boxer briefs under shorter skirt. I have a friend who swear by jockey shorties, but the boxer briefsI buy are nice and long, the material is thin enough, and they aren't horribly tight. 

This sounds like a good idea! I actually think I'm going to try this too. Only one question before I run to the store to buy it: does it show under the fabric of a skirt? I've worn a male boxershort once, and I remember that I had sort of an 'empty space' where the male part is supposed to be, and that the fabric there kind of folded and wrinkled when I sat down or walked. I didn't wear anything over it that time, and it was kind of a loose fitting type of boxershort, but it does make me wonder now whether that would show as wrinkles or lines on the fabric of my skirt. That would look a bit awkward I think. 

I have tried baby powder on my inner thighs (and under my boobs) as well. It works, but it also shows, and it has to be re-applied a lot, which isn't very convenient. It's white powder so it kind of shows on your legs. If you wear a longer skirt this isn't a problem, because the skirt will cover it, but if you wear short shorts or a shorter skirt, it shows. Also, if if you use it with shorts rather than a skirt, it tends to stain your clothing. Applying it with a skirt on is much easier, as you can just lift the skirt up, and drop it back down when you’ve applied the powder. My shorts always get stained a bit, because the fabric comes into contact with the powder on my legs. If the fabric is a light color you can just kind of brush it off with your hands, but if the fabric is a darker color, it’s more difficult to really brush it off. Secondly, you need to re-apply the powder after about an hour. (I have to admit, I sweat quite heavily, so it could possibly last longer for those who don’t sweat a lot). That’s kind of hard to do in public. So yeah, it works, BUT.

• Replies 597
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is the best anti antiperspirant?  I cannot stand the moist in my arm pits. I have tried the ones you put on at night and they do not work.  Put baby powder on after antiperspirant and that helps to some extent.

I have found wearing Capri's  are better than shorts for rubbing your thighs.  I always had the problem that she shorts would ride up at the bottom and you are always straining the when you stand up.  

Best deodorant, bar none, is Schmidt's Naturals. I use the Tea Tree Sensitive Skin one. If I do happen to sweat, there is absolutely ZERO odor. Nothing like "traditional" deodorants/antiperspirants. I don't use anything with aluminum (which most antiperspirants have).

5 hours ago, Lurky said:

I'm often in my jeans in heatwaves, because (so shameful to admit) when I sweat a lot, my thighs rub together and chafe and I get sweat-rash (like nappy rash).  When I wear loose cotton (which my shorts & capris are), it can still chafe, as the cotton rubs, so I'm always sad to have to wear leggings under dresses, and jeans in the heat.  It's always been this way, even when I was a super-fit teenager.

So, collective FJ wisdom holders - any ideas how to stop this?  I'd love to go bare legged under a sundress, while it's heatwaving here in the UK!

Of course I have not read through all the responses yet, so I don't know if this was suggested...but...

Get some Body Glide - it's fantastic stuff, and made for just this situation.  I'm a runner and use it for my legs AND feet.  Keeps legs from sticking and feet from rubbing in your shoes.  No chafing and no blisters!  It comes in a container that looks like deodorant.  I promise you it is life changing - LOL!  Don't fall for the more expensive "women's" stuff.  It's all the same:

https://www.bodyglide.com/

10 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

I like that AND @MadeItOut's- now, any help in the miles <~> kilometers ????  I'd buy dinner if you gave me one I could remember and use!!!

length conversions are linear (where temp isn't) so 1 mile =1.6 km    easier to remember, 5k is 3.1 miles :)

13 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Ugh76 is miserably hot.  I always work in offices where I need 2 fans and I still sweat because ONE woman in the office is cold, everyone else is miserable but she's happy.  I like it at 72/73 at work we keep our house at 72 in the summer and 66 in the winter until the the temp goes below 20 then we turn it up to 68.  We a turn the heat down to 63 in the winter and we all sleep with a fan.  We are nuts, and we know it.

We do 62 at night and 64 day during winter. I try to keep it 74 plus fans during the summer but find myself cranking it down most days. My ideal would be about 68 in the summer but there is no way I can afford to keep it like that! My sister in law likes it to be around 80 or else she is cold.  I'm always reminding her people would much rather see her bundled up than me stripped naked and still sweating.

I really don't understand why often businesses crank the heat to 80 in the winter when everyone is dressed for cold outside thhen keep it 62 in the summer. Overkill.

@2manyKidzzz thanks, I use quite a lot of baby powder so I'll look into it. I had heard about researches linking talcum powder to cancer, and I therefore actually switched from talcum powder to baby powder. I thought, naively probably, that anything that would be considered safe for babies would most likely not cause/highten the chances of getting cancer.

48 minutes ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

@Penny and @Marly I have seen numerous accounts of baby powder being implicated, whether true or not, in ovarian cancer. So check it out!!

I believe it's specifically talcum powder applied in the underwear that is linked with ovarian cancer. Apparently baby powder made out of corn starch is safe. The first I head about talc and cancer being linked was about 20 years ago. I specifically remember this because my sister-in-law was freaking about about not being able to put baby powder in her underwear anymore. I was about 10 at the time and didn't even know people did that so the whole thing has always stuck out for me. It seems like you hear about a case of ovarian cancer linked to talc ever 5-10 years. Here's some more info:

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer-causes/talcum-powder-and-cancer.html

Just now, freshlemonade said:

It is talcum powder that should (maybe) be avoided.  Research is not yet conclusive:

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer-causes/talcum-powder-and-cancer.html

Guess I'll stop borrowing hubby's Gold Bond...

Beat me to it!

When you buy a "behind the counter" perfume, can you still get the scented powder too?  Didn't they used to do that?  I'm sure that was probably talc.  

I'm sorry to bring this up again, but there is no "cover your plate rule' concerning gift giving at weddings.  Guests don't even have to give a gift when invited to a wedding.  The cost of the gift is what the giver can afford.  Anything else is greedy and tacky as all get out.

The 'cover your plate' rule was invented by greedy jerks who are having a gift grab.

Also, you do not have a year to send thank you notes. If you have waited that long (barring emergencies) you are just as big of a jerk as the 'cover your plate' folks.  Thank you notes should be send out ASAP.  If you are three months after the honeymoon and still haven't gotten them out, shame on you.  In modern times, it's very common for the groom to be responsible for writing half the thank you notes. Oh, and no pre-printed generic thank you's.   They are not hard to write, you thank the person by name, mention the gift, possibly how you plan to use it in your new home. A sentence or two.  Nor should you have people address their own thank you envelopes at your shower, reception, engagement party what have you. (printing the envelopes is fine) If you can't be bothered to take a few moments to write a quick note and slap a stamp on it, then don't invite anyone.

Sorry, ranting while trying to avoid housework.

11 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

I like that AND @MadeItOut's- now, any help in the miles <~> kilometers ????  I'd buy dinner if you gave me one I could remember and use!!!

Here you go Mama, it's what they gave us when Canada went metric.

20 mph gives you 30 kmph

30          gives you 50

50          gives you 80

60          gives you 90

Pretty darn accurate, and you mostly don't need to go faster or slower than that. 

7 hours ago, Lurky said:

I'm often in my jeans in heatwaves, because (so shameful to admit) when I sweat a lot, my thighs rub together and chafe and I get sweat-rash (like nappy rash).  When I wear loose cotton (which my shorts & capris are), it can still chafe, as the cotton rubs, so I'm always sad to have to wear leggings under dresses, and jeans in the heat.  It's always been this way, even when I was a super-fit teenager.

So, collective FJ wisdom holders - any ideas how to stop this?  I'd love to go bare legged under a sundress, while it's heatwaving here in the UK!

Have you tried shorts slips?  I have several and wear them under dresses and skirts to keep from chafing.

6 minutes ago, freshlemonade said:

When you buy a "behind the counter" perfume, can you still get the scented powder too?  Didn't they used to do that?  I'm sure that was probably talc.  

You can still get perfumed powder, and I'm pretty sure it's usually talc. It seems like just recently baby powder has been switched to mostly corn starch although my MIL buys the talc kind (which I would think will be phased out at some point). 

Since anti-persperant has been brought up in this thread, I'd like to give a shout out to Certain-Dri. That stuff saved my social life in high school. I would sweat so much you could see the pit stains with my arms DOWN. Awful. It's kind of harsh and dries your skin out, but it was worth it at that age. 

1 hour ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

@Penny and @Marly I have seen numerous accounts of baby powder being implicated, whether true or not, in ovarian cancer. So check it out!!

It's the talc that is suspect, a powder without it should be ok near the private parts.

22 minutes ago, Swamptribe said:

Thank you notes should be send out ASAP.  If you are three months after the honeymoon and still haven't gotten them out, shame on you. 

It's crazy how many people don't send Thank You notes these days. In fact, it has always been one my mother's biggest pet peeves. When my siblings and I were little and received a gift from someone, she would always stay on us every day until we had written our Thank You cards, so needless to say it is a practice I am trying to maintain.

So recently I came across someone who uses FDS deodorant spray. We were pretty shocked that people still use the stuff. I thought it was universally acknowledged that those sorts of sprays were unhealthy. Swamp ass (and the related swamp crotch) are a big problem where I live, but dang. Just wear some cotton undies and take a shower.

22 minutes ago, ThunderRolls said:

Since anti-persperant has been brought up in this thread, I'd like to give a shout out to Certain-Dri. 

I'm going to have to try that brand; I've been looking for a new one since Dove deodorant started sucking.

35 minutes ago, Swamptribe said:

I'm sorry to bring this up again, but there is no "cover your plate rule' concerning gift giving at weddings.  Guests don't even have to give a gift when invited to a wedding.  The cost of the gift is what the giver can afford.  Anything else is greedy and tacky as all get out.

The 'cover your plate' rule was invented by greedy jerks who are having a gift grab.

Also, you do not have a year to send thank you notes. If you have waited that long (barring emergencies) you are just as big of a jerk as the 'cover your plate' folks.  Thank you notes should be send out ASAP.  If you are three months after the honeymoon and still haven't gotten them out, shame on you.  In modern times, it's very common for the groom to be responsible for writing half the thank you notes. Oh, and no pre-printed generic thank you's.   They are not hard to write, you thank the person by name, mention the gift, possibly how you plan to use it in your new home. A sentence or two.  Nor should you have people address their own thank you envelopes at your shower, reception, engagement party what have you. (printing the envelopes is fine) If you can't be bothered to take a few moments to write a quick note and slap a stamp on it, then don't invite anyone.

Sorry, ranting while trying to avoid housework.

A lot of people move and/or have a baby during the first year of marriage. I think the rule is intended to accommodate those very time-consuming events. 

28 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

A lot of people move and/or have a baby during the first year of marriage. I think the rule is intended to accommodate those very time-consuming events. 

I'm sorry, but how does moving, or having a baby (which takes 9 months) prevent you from penning a few thank you notes each day?  Nope, there is no such rule, just something lazy people made up so they have an excuse for their laziness.  (probably comes from the etiquette rule that you have a year to SEND a wedding gift.  So, gosh, you must get a year to send thank you's too)

Hubbie and I were full time students, and working almost full time.  I managed to get the notes out in a timely fashion.

And yeah, last wedding we went to, I never received a thank you card for the gift card we sent.  I don't know if they got it or not. Spent way more money on it than we really could afford at the time because we love the couple, and wanted to be able to help them with expenses.  Sigh.  (like to give gift cards because I worked in wedding registry once and decided it's so much easier for the couple)

And damn it all, will you'ze guys stop distracting me from getting my stupid chores done!!!

Edited to add:  Oh my god, mom actually rubbed off on me.  Well, sh&t!!!

@Swamptribe I'm afraid to google; what are swamp ass and swamp crotch?

And why do people but baby powder in their underwear?

8 hours ago, JemimaPuddle-Duck said:

Same here! It's maddening. I've heard that people rub deodorant on their thighs where they chafe and that helps, but I find that hard to believe so, of course, I haven't tried it. I don't always want leggings to show so now I wear men's boxer briefs under shorter skirt. I have a friend who swear by jockey shorties, but the boxer briefsI buy are nice and long, the material is thin enough, and they aren't horribly tight. 

I used gel antiperspirant on anything that would chafe when i went on lon runs. Worked like a charm!

Swamp ass/crotch is when you get sweaty and...less than fresh, in your ass and crotch. This is why some might choose to put baby powder in their underwear. I get it when i work out instead of sweating in my arms pits. I just go home and throw the workout clothes down the chute. Take a shower and wash my ass. I dont feel the need for baby powder but MMV.

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived