IGNORED

Dillards 32: To VBAC or not to VBAC

Coconut Flan

she better have this kid before Wednesday because I am off to Whistler for three days :D

actually she had Izzy the last time I was there 

so she will have it then 

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, jerkit said:

Also, Costco shits are  amazing!

Well now, that takes me back.  My friend's mother used to call them shits all the time when we were in high school.  At the time we just thought it was some sort of hilarious mispronunciation. She would show up after school to pick up her daughter or to volunteer for some function or whatever and at some point announce that it was time to go because she had to get home and change the shits.  I think now that she was doing it on purpose because she found the other mothers kind of stuck up. 

14 minutes ago, nst said:

she better have this kid before Wednesday because I am off to Whistler for three days 

Hey! Wave to me on the Sea to Sky then.  We will only be up for the day, but our friends will be there until Thursday. She will be the lovely Polish Juliette Binoche look alike, he will be the sulky douchebag (WTF does she see in him? ) Canadian talking in his lame transatlantic accent ( think Guy Ritchie Era Madonna speech) so that everyone will know he lives in London now. 

Well, I had hoped she'd have the baby today, but my time is running out.  

Congrats ahead to who ever actual guesses it right!

I change the sheets once a week, less often if I'm lazy or busy, but I'll pay for it with the allergies. I sort darks from lights, because once or twice I have had trouble with colours running.  Laundry gets done once a week in a front loader. Most things washed in warm, sheets in hot only when the allergies are bad.  Towels are a separate load.  They only get the hot treatment if anybody is sick.  

I iron the pillowcases because I like a nice fresh smooth pillowcase.  I loved the old fashioned no-iron percale sheets, but the modern ones don't have the same feel, so I go with cotton ones that are soft, but do wrinkle.  I don't iron them because I hate ironing more than I hate wrinkly sheets. 

I remember a conversation we had with a single (and fundie light, so pretty sure he was a virgin) friend once. I don't remember why we were talking about laundry, but he thought sheets don't really get dirty, so should only need changing monthly.  We didn't feel it was our responsibility to enlighten him that there are certain couple activities that may. ..cause the sheets to need a wash more often than that.  Come to think of it, teenage boys leave similar residues, I guess that means he was truly Master of his Domaine (ew) or just oblivious (double ew. His poor Mother!)

So I read all 14 pages of this thread today and agree with others that I hope they are both healthy, go to the hospital, etc. I also wondered what the fundie thing is with homebirths over hospital births. Another poster (sorry, don't remember now but I liked your comment!) said the reason they don't like hospitals and doctors is that it's too close to ebil science and they might become heathens and all that.

OT for Jill and Samuel but I'm currently watching season 4 of 19KAC while making dinner, aka the season of miracle Josie. They are spending so much time at the hospital and with doctors and Michelle just said because Josie didn't test positive for some syndrome that they now have to do more research. So I know they're against science and evolution and all that but they sure seem to be supportive of medical care if it means saving one of their kids! Just an interesting observation and I hope it made sense. I'm on my phone and can only see three lines of text at a time.

5 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Is Resolve like Oxy  Clean? @Fluffy14

I have not used oxy clean. But I used to use AMAZE, it was mainly for babies, my friend told me AMAZE has rebranded itself as Resolve . I get it at Dollarama.  It works just like amaze did. I love the stuff. And I mean LOVE it.

4 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

OK, tell me again. Resolve? Stains? I have a lovely crown and thistle pattern crocheted table cloth that my mother made me. The pattern was developed for Queen Elizabeth's 25th Jubilee as Queen, and I've used the tablecloth, and it has stains. Coffee, probably, mustard, yes...

I also have some linen tablecloths.. we used to spot stain with Carbona.. but I can't find their products any more.

Do you think the stains would come out of Knit Cro Sheen brand crochet thread? I know that's what she used to make the tablecloth.

I don't know what kind of embroidery threads are on the ones I have washed other than they are pre 1950's. I am super surprised that none have ever run on me.

as far as stains go, I collected beautiful old Irish linens , really thick cotton table cloths for my daughter's wedding.  Some of them had really bad tea or coffee stains on them.  Not just little but whole teacup sized stains.  

That particular one I soaked for about 4 days changing out the water and using very hot if not boiling water with a couple of scoops. It all came out. And I used those beautiful linens at my daughter's wedding.  

So if they are tiny stains I would only dip the spots in a bowl of stuff and see what happens. I am pretty patient. And will wait days if I have to. I have soaked something for a week.  I do remember trying bleach first on the tea stains and it did nothing. I rinsed it like a mad woman and used the amaze/ resolve.

the other thing I have done is use q tips to dip in the bleach and dab very carefully on spots.  But I have found the resolve superior to bleach.

image.jpeg

Spoiler

image.jpeg

Spoiler

image.jpeg

Spoiler

image.jpeg

Spoiler

image.jpeg

I've used both Resolve and OxyClean and think Oxy Clean has the edge. For older linens I like a Shaklee product that isn't actually for laundry...it is a cleaning product you dilute in water, very gentle, and if you soak old linens in it the results are amazing. Basic H. You may have to do it for a few days...but the other colors will not run and the stains will disappear. My mom swears by it, and it is how we have kept a baptismal gown clean AND intact through 5 generations of use....at least 15 babies.

I predict Jill will give birth on the 12th. The baby will be 10lbs 1oz. Jill will get the VBAC she covets is praying for but it will be in the hospital.

While visiting Jill, Anna will spontaneously go into labor. She will actually leave the hospital to give birth at home and upstage Jill by having another successful home birth.

Since both cousins will be born on the same day the family will refer to them as the “twins”.

Trying to catch up here...

I have wondered why the girls have been so set on homebirths considering they grew up watching Michelle go to the hospial for many of her births. 

Really hoping that Jill is quietly planning a hospital birth. Maybe she is afraid they would rush to do another c-section but it still makes the most sense to be in a hopsital in her situation. I know - Duggars and sense don't really mix. Can't she please follow her parents lead on this one?  I have wondered if they are anti hospital because of the possibility of the OB they get being a male, to which I would  think  even more reason to be prepared and plan for a hospital birth. No guarantees they will be available for delivery but planning ahead would mean getting to choose a female OB while pregnant.

Saw the pictures Jill posted this week - dang just when I was starting to unsee the JB genes in Izzy he's got to be the one holding him making me see the resemblance all over again. As for Michelle she does seem a bit smaller but I legit think it's because her hair isn't all teased up. Maybe she finally realized the 80s are over.

Ok, so I've had all week off and I've watched some of the episodes from when Jill and D-wreck were getting hitched. Lots of observations. First, I don't think D-wreck knew about the molestation, just the vibe I'm getting from his encounters with Josh, and all. Totally speculating. Second, D-wreck's mom had cancer at this time, and Jill literally says, We don't know if Ms. Cathy will make it to the wedding, we don't know if she'll make it at all. Jeez louise Jilly Muffin. Not very sweet of you. Derrick leads the fam in prayer, and it was very generic, not something I would expect from somebody who spent so much time on the mission field. Maybe he's improved since going to Scary America. Finally, Jim Boob's references of his daughter getting preggers constantly. YUCK. It's just icky. So there's your blast from the past. We've come a long way since those magical times. 

11 hours ago, nst said:

she better have this kid before Wednesday because I am off to Whistler for three days :D

actually she had Izzy the last time I was there 

so she will have it then 

I'm leaving the country on Wednesday too. These folks always deliver when I'm out of the country.

11 hours ago, PumaLover said:

So I know they're against science and evolution and all that but they sure seem to be supportive of medical care if it means saving one of their kids! Just an interesting observation and I hope it made sense. I'm on my phone and can only see three lines of text at a time.

Yeah, unlike a lot of the other fundies we discuss, the Duggars don't seem to be against medical care. Anna, Jessa, and Jill have been doing home births but Michelle had most of her babies in a hospital and I seem to remember Jim Bob and Michelle even encouraging Anna and Josh to do a hospital birth.

3 hours ago, speller24 said:

Second, D-wreck's mom had cancer at this time, and Jill literally says, We don't know if Ms. Cathy will make it to the wedding, we don't know if she'll make it at all. Jeez louise Jilly Muffin. Not very sweet of you. 

To be entirely fair, Cathy was in extremely poor health at that time. She had to be airlifted to the hospital June 13th of that year - just eight days before the wedding - and reportedly surprised everyone by still being alive when they pulled her off the helicopter. Jill was absolutely correct that they weren't sure she'd be able to be at the wedding or that she'd make it at all. I don't really see an issue with this given the circumstances. It's better to be realistic about that type of situation in my personal opinion rather than sugarcoat everything. 

@Fluffy14 - Are those pictures from your daughter's wedding? If they are, it looks absolutely lovely. I love love love lots of bright colors.  Also, you are totally a stain removing savant! I had no idea Murphy's Oil Soap could get out oil stains from fabric. Recently, I've fallen in love with OxiClean - a friend gave me some for my baby shower, and that stuff is absolute magic on an assortment of baby stains (pee, poo, spit up, food, etc.).  

All you wise FJ'ers, I have a question. Is it possible to remove hair-dye stains from a blue shirt? It's my favorite, and the hairstylest accidently spilled all over me. 

KelseyAnn,I looked it up and there are about 6 different ways to do it.Pour liquid detergent on the stain and blot it.Or use white vinegar on the stain or wash it,cold, and add 2 cups of white vinegar to the rinse.Don't dry it in the dryer until the stain is gone,or it could set the stain.

1 minute ago, melon said:

KelseyAnn,I looked it up and there are about 6 different ways to do it.Pour liquid detergent on the stain and blot it.Or use white vinegar on the stain or wash it,cold, and add 2 cups of white vinegar to the rinse.Don't dry it in the dryer until the stain is gone,or it could set the stain.

Thank you!

It's official. Laundry and sheets are more interesting than the Duggars, which is amazing considering the Duggars have spent a lot of time talking about doing laundry. This discussion reminds me of the glorious smell of starch when my grandma would iron. I miss that smell. I immediately hang everything up after it comes out of the drier so I don't have to iron. I don't even own an iron. Thank God for Bounce. 

Anyway, I think most fundies have home births because of cost. They likely don't have insurance and they would never get out of debt if they had to pay for eleven hospital birthdays. Although, I have always thought a lot of fundies are receiving state aid even though they don't admit it. No way do most of them make enough working for themselves to support eleventy children. 

9 minutes ago, socalrules said:

This discussion reminds me of the glorious smell of starch when my grandma would iron. I miss that smell.

Niagara spray starch used to clog up the steam holes in our iron. It was my job to steel wool the iron base after it cooled off.

And: my mother made fancy crocheted doilies which required liquid starch and propping up with coffee cups, coils, etc, till they dried, so they looked good on the coffee table... I remember putting waxed paper over cardboard so that we could stretch and pin the wet doily for the first part of the starching..

This is a fairly simple example. Each of those little frills had to be wet with starch, and then supported in some way, until the thing dried. Then woe betide the child who spilled ANYTHING wet onto it.. causing it to need to be redone..

frilly doily.jpg

11 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

Spoiler

frilly doily.jpg

That is amazing.  I'm learning to crochet now, I love it, it is so relaxing. But I'm still just doing the basics, scarves a blanket.  I would love to do something like this at some point.  It's an art form, no matter wht anyone says about doilies. 

Hasn't she had that baby yet?

I'm starting to wonder whether Derick was just toying with evangelism after college, attached himself to a false idol (Jim Bob), and realized way too late that he had found the wrong gig. I think a good part of the reason that Ben seems to be thriving in Duggarville is that he was a true zealot from way back. IIRC, he was spending Saturdays on street corners in Hot Springs spouting against abortion. No adjustment needed.

Derick was a secular college boy who, I believe, decided to do some good works in scenic Nepal before settling behind a desk. I don't think he was fully committed to proselytizing. But he latched onto Jim Bob, Jim Bob pulled him into the fold, and the rest is unfortunate history. The desk job didn't work out, jaw surgery was problematic, there seems to be marital tension, there was the molestation, grifting has turned into an embarrassment, CA is still largely Catholic, he waited way too long to get a haircut, the show isn't what it used to be, and baby #2 is due any minute - hopefully without any life-threatening stupidity involved. I suspect that Derick's religious tweets are a locally-approved method to try to cope with his situation; however, I don't believe that anyone, including him, is fully convinced.

On 7/7/2017 at 10:20 AM, snarkysuki1724 said:

I waited too long for my epidural with my last son, and was like you, absolutely out of control and in the most horrible pain.  I was crawling around on the hospital bed and yelling (really),  and at one point I grabbed my husband by the collar and was begging him to help me.  I had epidurals with my other three. 

Oh my this was me. I intended to go natural come hell or high water but my son was OP (sunnyside up) and had his head stuck at an angle against my cervix which had a lip that would not move. I was in transition from some time in the afternoon until 11pm or so when I started having productive pushing.  None of my Bradley training was working. I was uncontrollably pushing for hours which I found out later, when I looked online, happens sometimes with OP babies. I had already cycled through 3 midwives and the last one told me straight up I was going to have to push him out or I was heading for a section. At that point I was delirious and begging my husband to let me get an epidural. My friend who was there said it was the saddest thing she had ever heard. I just wish I had gotten it earlier because it was like the heavens opened up and angels sang when that glorious man put that needle in my back. I didn't even feel it I was pushing uncontrollably so hard. Once the meds hit I was able to relax on my side, sop pushing, and my son could get into  the proper position. He ripped the hell out of me coming out and had a huge bruise on his poor little head but he was out after a  miserable 24hr labour. Never again.

A note to whomever is running the baby pool.... don't cross out anyone who picked the 7th - 9th. They would certainly wait until Monday morning for the People announcement in hopes of a ratings boost. 

DFO just posted a pic of Izzy eating his lunch at the bottom of the stairs. Is his mother laboring upstairs? At the hospital? Derelict didn't tweet a proverb this morning, so I think something's up. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived