IGNORED

Dillards 32: To VBAC or not to VBAC

Coconut Flan

Laundry confession:  I've been using (a slight variation of) Duggar Family Laundry Soap for the past 10 years. Love it. My clothes are clean and I'm saving a bundle of $$$.

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Announcement on Dillard Family Blog:

Welcome to the family, Samuel Scott!

July 8, 2017

We are excited to finally announce the arrival of Samuel Scott Dillard! The newest addition to our family arrived on Saturday, July 8, 2017 at 1:02pm.  He weighs 9lb 10oz and is 22” long. After 40 of labor, he was delivered via C-section at the hospital. Thank you for your continued prayers and support!

No photos yet.

Repeat c-section is unsurprising. She looked like she was carrying very much the same as she was with Izzy. Wonder how this will factor into their future family plans. It is my understanding that VBAC after multiple c-sections is not recommended. 

2 minutes ago, Molly said:

Wow 40 hours?! Also at 9 pounds 10 oz, what a big baby.

Jill can't catch a break! I am not surprised by the c-section either, but I'm glad she gave birth in a hospital at least (I hope she was there the entire time).

2 minutes ago, sadiZ said:

Wonder how this will factor into their future family plans. It is my understanding that VBAC after multiple c-sections is not recommended. 

right? I am wondering the same thing.  Also what is the cutoff on c/sections in general? 3-4? Maybe its changed, but my aunt who had her kids from 1995-99 wasn't supposed to have any more after her 3rd.  though I guess if you get pregnant accidentally then they have to do it anyways, but it's so risky. also poor jill with 40 hrs of labor before birth. ick.  what was it last time? like 72? either way, still not fun. 

4 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

To be entirely fair, Cathy was in extremely poor health at that time. She had to be airlifted to the hospital June 13th of that year - just eight days before the wedding - and reportedly surprised everyone by still being alive when they pulled her off the helicopter. Jill was absolutely correct that they weren't sure she'd be able to be at the wedding or that she'd make it at all. I don't really see an issue with this given the circumstances. It's better to be realistic about that type of situation in my personal opinion rather than sugarcoat everything. 

True^ I am glad that this has been edited out of some repeats.

In terms of the birth...not surprised at a repeat c-section. This is Jill's future. She will not have a huge brood, which might just be for the best!

Hope mother and baby are healthy. Not at all surprised by the repeat C-section. I, too, wonder how this will affect their plans for future children. Jill is so, so young. She could have 20 years of fertility left ahead of her. Are they really going to 'leave it up to God' and keep pushing their luck? I've seen women have five or six repeat C-sections, but I know it's not generally recommended. And Jill could easily have far more than five or six more pregnancies. I think this is where Quiverfull belief is really put to the test. 

Honestly, it sounds like she just won't ever be able to have a vaginal birth. I hope this makes them STOP AND THINK before they try to have another. :(

Poor Jill, I went 24 hours with my second and was exhausted by that time. 

It's not recommended to have more than three c-sections so unfortunately for her it really does limit her family size. Perhaps she can take over the adoption story from Jessa? 

I WON though! I thought there were four or five of us that got the date right.

15 minutes ago, Molly said:

Also at 9 pounds 10 oz, what a big baby.

When I was a teenager (and knew nothing about childbirth), our pastor announced in church one morning: "And we congratulate Jim and Jane Smith for the birth of their baby: John Doe Smith, born last night, 13 pounds..." and as soon as those syllables were uttered every woman in the sanctuary groaned out loud.

So sorry Jill had 40 hours of labor... that's awful. ETA: But yeah, @Greendoor I wonder how much of that was self-inflicted, waiting too long at home. :(

I seriously doubt Jill was in hard labor for 40 hours.  I never believed her long, long labor with Izzie either.  I think they count from when their water breaks even if labor doesn't immediately ensue or else they are counting from a Braxton-Hicks contraction they confused with early labor after the fact.

Oh my. I feel bad for her. I imagine she is probably feeling so disappointed. I hope she gets a lot of support and kindness in the weeks ahead. And, I really hope they get an honest, frank talk from a doctor concerning family size now that she has had 2 c-sections. 

5 minutes ago, Antipatriarch said:

When I was a teenager (and knew nothing about childbirth), our pastor announced in church one morning: "And we congratulate Jim and Jane Smith for the birth of their baby: John Doe Smith, born last night, 13 pounds..." and as soon as those syllables were uttered every woman in the sanctuary groaned out loud.

So sorry Jill had 40 hours of labor... that's awful. ETA: But yeah, @Greendoor I wonder how much of that was self-inflicted, waiting too long at home.

I have never had a baby but that made me GRIMACE :my_sad:

I guess Jill's birth canal remains unproven.

Echoing previous sentiments about being glad everybody's safe, and also wondering how this will effect future blessings. We know the odds of them preventing are slim to none, so what next?

Glad to hear Jill and little Samuel are OK. If they are to be believed, that means she was in labor since Thursday night, which sounds awful. My mom had a similar experience with one of my sisters. She was in labor for almost 2 days and they ended up doing an emergency C-section.

40 hour labor, yikes. I'm guessing she did try for a VBAC and it didn't work out. Hope everyone is perfectly healthy and Jill isn't too down about the repeat c-section.

ETA: Looks like  @Pennycan see into the future! Congrats on winning the baby pool.

Derrick is probably already packing for Central America. 

I have to wonder if Jill doesn't get gestational diabetes, and considering her minimal efforts at prenatal care, I wouldn't be surprised. That's a big baby. She was posting pics of drinking full fat chocolate milk for "protein". I had it with all 3 of mine, and it can male larger babies and difficult deliveries if not taken care of. Especially the shoulders. Though, Israel was sideways so it wasn't a should dysplasia. 

Glad they are doing well. 

Prediction: Jill will continue having repeat c-sections until all the doctors in AR refuse to perform them for her.

I'm glad that they are both ok. I'm also not shocked by the repeat C-Section. Of course they are going to say that it was 40 hours of labour. I'm sure she's disappointed because she wanted a VBAC. 

Well, they basically have three options...

1. Continue 'leaving it up to God' (if they were - I'm not sure we know that), continue to procreate, and pray. This is the scariest option. I'm not one to be alarmist, but I don't see this having a good outcome. At all.

2. Decide that some form of birth control is okay, and either stop procreating now, limit their family size to one or two more children, or adopt.

3. Total abstinence until Jill is medically confirmed to have hit menopause.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived