IGNORED

Dillards 32: To VBAC or not to VBAC

Coconut Flan

Perimenopause is a bitch night sweats suck, so once a week with the sheets more if I'd get off my cheap ass and buy another set of sheets.  But I hate trying to fold fitted sheets, especially on a queen size bed. I make my kids wash their own now. DD has a loft bed so we do have to help her get them off and on but DS does his own at least twice a week and I do NOT want to know why.  :brainbleach:

I used to have trouble with folding fitted sheets too, but then I found this awesome how to video and it changed my life.

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

Her father being outed as a child molester and invoking the rage of the general public happened.

July 16, 2015 was also the day TLC officially canceled 19 Kids. 

2 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Correction--

I predicted the big ol' gringo baby will be born today, 7/07/2017 and be the size of a Triple-7 (Boeing 777) airplane, not 777 lbs.  : )

Lol, noted. I think that was a weirdness in the Excel formula that I wrote. I have corrected it. :)

Fitted sheets were so much easier to fold when only the corners were elasticized.  My mom and I would fold them together without having to have a folding surface and they looked neat as could be.  I haven't been able to fold a fitted sheet neatly since no matter how many times I watch the videos.

2 minutes ago, jerkit said:

Also, Costco shits are  amazing!

I'll have to try that one day.  :my_biggrin:

I collect vintage linens. I also collect vintage doll clothes. I have never been turned away by yellowing , stains, or running colours.

i was at an estate sale and found baby dresses from late 1800 - turn of the century.  One of them was so brown from cigarette smoke , dust, and grime. 

I put the item in a bowl with boiling water and a scoop of resolve.  Omg. Usually within the hour it looks new.

i have used it for a long time on vintage fabric that has print patterns. It even does colour items.  

I only used boiling water on cottons and warm on the rest. I rinse with water and then some vinegar.

and for stubborn grimy pillow cases with beautiful embroidery I have been known to boil it on the stove.

all of it comes out pristine.

Murphys oil soap also gets out grease and oil spots out of clothes. Dab it on the spot leave it on for a good length of time wash in hot or warm.

i love hand washing items. Love it. I also line dry in the sun.

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, kacarlton said:

I used to have trouble with folding fitted sheets too, but then I found this awesome how to video and it changed my life

Spoiler

witchcraft-gif.gif

Folding fitted sheets (along with peeling boiled eggs), will almost always set me off into an adult tantrum, which is never pretty.

I change/wash my sheets weekly, but I have asthma and read once you should was weekly in really hot water because of dust mites if you  have asthma.

We sort laundry. Most of my stuff ends up being line dry anyway so I just end up doing 5-10 minutes in the dryer on the coolest setting to help with wrinkles then line dry most everything the rest of the way. Hubby's stuff is all in the dryer. All sheets and towels in our house are white. Just makes life easier. Hottest setting for those. Fitted sheets were indeed easier when only the corners were elastic! I also love old linens and they seem to be such higher quality than now days so you can't beat that. Getting the stains out isn't really an issue, but often the old elastic on the fitted sheets needs replacing.  Not a biggie for me but if someone doesn't sew it would be a problem.

4 minutes ago, VBOY9977 said:

Derick liked this tweet... really really hoping he listens to this

IMG_1406.PNG

He wouldn't like it if he wasn't in agreement right?  

Also, as much as I agree the hospital birth is the best call, it seems a little rude to publicly tell them. . . probably still worth it though.

6 hours ago, shock928 said:

Not to go into too much detail but because someone brought up The business of being born I feel I must. I was 25 had proper midwifery care and was healthy. Birthed in a birth center literally across from the hospital. The midwife was negligent and I nearly bled to death trying to transfer to hospital NEXT DOOR. It took her too long to call EMT for me. Retained placenta, no pain relief and manual removal was absolutely traumatizing.

I am so sorry that happened to you and I'm so glad you're all right.

I knew a woman who had a homebirth and had a similar thing happen. It was her first, she was young (23) and healthy, and had a  totally healthy pregnancy. She started hemorrhaging and while an ambulance was called she bled out before they got her to the hospital. She died at just 23, leaving behind an infant daughter, a fiance, and a family who loved her, and if she had simply been in a hospital when things went wrong she would have survived.

There was another instance with someone I knew where the baby was born with a cord wrapper around her neck and the time it took to get her to the hospital meant that she was left with severe brain damage for life. The parents are very open about the fact that they deeply regret choosing a home birth. 

Just among people I know there have been two instances where home birth went horribly, tragically wrong and the sad fact is that in both cases they would have been fine if they had chosen a hospital birth rather than a home birth, so that makes me extremely wary of home births.

7 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

I knew a woman who had a homebirth and had a similar thing happen. It was her first, she was young (23) and healthy, and had a  totally healthy pregnancy. She started hemorrhaging and while an ambulance was called she bled out before they got her to the hospital. She died at just 23, leaving behind an infant daughter, a fiance, and a family who loved her, and if she had simply been in a hospital when things went wrong she would have survived.

There was another instance with someone I knew where the baby was born with a cord wrapper around her neck and the time it took to get her to the hospital meant that she was left with severe brain damage for life. The parents are very open about the fact that they deeply regret choosing a home birth. 

Just among people I know there have been two instances where home birth went horribly, tragically wrong and the sad fact is that in both cases they would have been fine if they had chosen a hospital birth rather than a home birth, so that makes me extremely wary of home births.

These types of stories are why I had LO in a hospital.  I would also add that around here most hospitals try to be as "homelike" as they can.  Even so, in my mind the benefits are not with the risks, and I say this as a person who is never taken seriously by doctors.  (To be fair, the midwives didn't take me seriously either).

21 minutes ago, justoneoftwo said:

These types of stories are why I had LO in a hospital.  I would also add that around here most hospitals try to be as "homelike" as they can.  Even so, in my mind the benefits are not with the risks, and I say this as a person who is never taken seriously by doctors.  (To be fair, the midwives didn't take me seriously either).

I know a lot of places will let you have somewhat of a home birth experience with a midwife but in a hospital where if anything does go wrong you can immediately get medical help. That seems like the idea situation if you want a home birth experience.

3 hours ago, catlady said:

i have more sets of sheets than i'm willing to admit (i look for clearance sales, i stick to a max purchase price, and i'm not particular about colors/prints).  i do have one set where the cuff on the top sheet gets a deep crease in the same place, so i press it if i have the iron out.   but aside from that, i don't iron sheets; it's more a time factor than anything else.

My issue is I'm a sheet snob and have to have Egyptian cotton sheets with at least a 700 thread count, so they aren't cheap.  The set I have now for a queen bed cost me $100 on sale. That is the main reason I only have 1 set at a time. 

Seems a bit presumptuous to be claiming to be the father of an unborn child. This is presuming that he knows God will deliver this child safely into their hands, alive.

Presumption is one of the seven deadly sins. Oh, wait. Are they only for Catholics? Never mind......

1 hour ago, Fluffy14 said:

I collect vintage linens. I also collect vintage doll clothes. I have never been turned away by yellowing , stains, or running colours.

i was at an estate sale and found baby dresses from late 1800 - turn of the century.  One of them was so brown from cigarette smoke , dust, and grime. 

I put the item in a bowl with boiling water and a scoop of resolve.  Omg.

Murphys oil soap also gets out grease and oil spots out of clothes. Dab it on the spot leave it on for a good length of time wash in hot or warm.

i love hand washing items. Love it. I also line dry in the sun.

OK, tell me again. Resolve? Stains? I have a lovely crown and thistle pattern crocheted table cloth that my mother made me. The pattern was developed for Queen Elizabeth's 25th Jubilee as Queen, and I've used the tablecloth, and it has stains. Coffee, probably, mustard, yes...

I also have some linen tablecloths.. we used to spot stain with Carbona.. but I can't find their products any more.

Do you think the stains would come out of Knit Cro Sheen brand crochet thread? I know that's what she used to make the tablecloth.

1 hour ago, Rachel333 said:

Thankyou for the kind words. When I heard this story it made me want to cry. Im So sorry to hear this. Although I did suffer emotionally and physically at the time, I thank God every day that it wasn't worse because it easily could have been for myself or my babies. I felt safer than I really was because I was across the street from the hospital, but when your hemmorhaging with a retained placenta 40 minutes can be deadly. I share my story with anyone considering the home birth option just because I feel the story could be used for good. I've shared it on a few websites, and it helps me be more at peace if it can prevent tragedies. 

I know people will do their own research and make their own choices, but the truth is we are quite lucky to have access to life saving medical care if we need it. If I had been farther away from a hospital I don't even want to imagine what could have happened. 

Do you guys think that in their cult c-sections are frowned upon because it means possibly less babies? They were minutes away from needing to give me a hysterectomy on my first baby, so I'm just wondering if this is why they tend to avoid hospitals? I know Meechelle has a few c sections, and hospital births so that gives me hope they would value the baby's safety mor than having eleventy more babies. Wishful thinking?

34 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

I know a lot of places will let you have somewhat of a home birth experience with a midwife but in a hospital where if anything does go wrong you can immediately get medical help. That seems like the idea situation if you want a home birth experience.

It's like that where I live; one of the larger health providers has a staff of CNMs who work alongside MD OBs to provide obstetric care, and they have privileges in the local hospital. I've heard nothing but good things about them. I live in a pretty crunchy area where homebirthing is in a legal gray area, and that's a very popular option. 

Personally, I would not be comfortable with a homebirth, for a variety of reasons, but I understand why so many women choose it. I tend to see it as less of an individual failing on the part of those women and families and more of a commentary on how fucked up and awful the American healthcare system is, especially to pregnant women. 

8 hours ago, shock928 said:

Not to go into too much detail but because someone brought up The business of being born I feel I must. I was 25 had proper midwifery care and was healthy. Birthed in a birth center literally across from the hospital. The midwife was negligent and I nearly bled to death trying to transfer to hospital NEXT DOOR. It took her too long to call EMT for me. Retained placenta, no pain relief and manual removal was absolutely traumatizing. Next baby I went to the hospital everything went smoothly and had an epidural which was a GODSEND. Third baby came in under 2 hours, I had no pain relief again and I was  scared of coming close to death again. Another retained placenta but this time I begged to be put under for D&C. I had 8 blood transfusions with both. 

I'm so so sorry you had to go through this. That is absolutely horrific. I hope that midwife is not in practice. There is no excuse for that.

So there are absolutely times when home birth is not a good choice, but I hemorrhaged in a hospital and everything the CNMs did to get things under control, they could have done at home as well. Bad things happen in hospitals that don't happen at home as often and bad things happen at home that don't happen in hospitals as often. I hope that every mom makes an informed decision and feels safe no matter where she births. 

So on the subject of laundry...Have any of you guys ever stripped? It gets your stuff so freaking clean! 

http://www.fortheloveofclean.com/laundry-love/special/strip-deep-clean-or-sanitize/strip/

This old Duggar photo popped up on my Facebook feed. How much does Jackson look like Izzy? (Its an old photo of Izzy, sorry.) Spooky!

IMG_1736.PNG

IMG_1737.PNG

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived