Coconut Flan

Hey Inquisitr - if you're listening, please feel free to report on how the whole Duggar-following internet has developed a fundie crush on the one and only John David "Bachelor-to-the-Rapture" Duggar.

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, GreyhoundFan said:

My mother, who is 71, going on 12, put a big mess of glitter in my birthday card two years ago. I was not pleased. I'm less pleased every time I vacuum, because I find more.

It never goes away.

2 minutes ago, onekidanddone said:

a big mess of glitter in my birthday card

Remember that company, a few years back, who would send "glitter bomb" envelopes to your enemies?

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 11:31 PM, Scribber said:

Surely Jeremy is doing more than just studying and writing? Right? Please?

I think he is. The way he phrased it, it sounded like the writing/studying/preparing sermons was only part of it.  The 30-40 hours may cover the whole shebang -- including their food ministry, visiting people, one-on-one counseling, etc. and writing/studying, OR he could have meant 30-40 hours writing and studying and then lots of stuff in addition to that, some of which he and Jinger do together.  If you go on the Church website they have more going on -- a homeless ministry, food drives, connection to various missions, going out and getting people interested in their church, etc.  So apparently he and Jinger are involved in a lot more.  I don't know where the 30-40 hours fits in that spectrum, but studying/writing is not all he does.

" I am not fooled  by their humanness."

@amendgitan, YES! I have expressed similar sentiment, although it's easy for me to not get caught up in the baybeez, hair, weddings, and all of that, because I detest what they stand for. I see right through their efforts to normalize the cult. 

31 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Remember that company, a few years back, who would send "glitter bomb" envelopes to your enemies?

Yes, but that's not as good as PoopSenders. I considered it for a person who has been making my life miserable for the last several months, but haven't quite gotten there yet. However, if he does another idiotic thing, I may have to send a quart. Of course, I would have to make sure to follow up so he knows it's from me. A real gag gift, he will gag and I will laugh.

On 6/15/2017 at 8:25 AM, SassyPants said:

His sermon amounts to writing 1 paper a week. If he has any sense and the ability to contain his wandering thoughts, how hard can it be? 40 hours? Eight hours a day X 5 (a bit fewer if he requires 6 days), writing a sermon?

Their Sunday services are a full hour filled with mostly him giving an exposition on some Scripture chapters he's picked out.  It's a pretty intense service and would take a lot of time to prepare.  It's not like the church I grew up in where the sermon was at most 10 minutes out of the hour.  If you watch his videos, he's had to prepare a lot. He also conducts two prayer meetings per week for which he must be preparing something.  It also seems that a lot of their work is out in the community evangelizing.  And then there's the pregnancy center, missions coordination, food drive etc.  Since he doesn't have staff apparently (no one else is listed on the church website) he's probably having to do a lot of the business stuff for the church as well -- financial/administrative.  They might have a part time secretary or something at most. 

9 minutes ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Yes, but that's not as good as PoopSenders. I considered it for a person who has been making my life miserable for the last several months, but haven't quite gotten there yet. However, if he does another idiotic thing, I may have to send a quart. Of course, I would have to make sure to follow up so he knows it's from me. A real gag gift, he will gag and I will laugh.

That's amazing. I almost sent my brother's ex-fiancé cat poop. The main reason I didn't was because she would know it was me (or blame my mom) and I didn't want her parents to find out and get upset. They had enough on their plates. Lovely people, even if their daughter is Sauromon. I'm glad someone is capitalizing on the idea of sending people poop.

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 11:28 AM, Daisy0322 said:

My question is, how do they live off the offerings of 12 families? Even if they all gave 15$ a week in adverage (they don't live in a rich part of town) that is 180$ a week and 720$ a month.

They don't.  Most likely the San Antonio church is paying him a full salary and considers the Laredo church part of its missionary outreach.  On the Laredo church's old website, they advertised a free lunch after every Sunday service.  The new one doesn't say that but most likely they still do it and it's become known in the community for the meal.  Jeremy said something to the effect that most of their immediate community is low income and that it's missionary work.

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 2:42 PM, SuchABlessing said:

I actually like that Jeremy spends so much time studying (and I'm Catholic, so I know he's reading up on how to make us ebil Catholics see the light) 

It at least shows he's trying to educate himself and get a handle on what he wants to say. I have more respect for that than, say, Ben's father who writes devotional stuff that just tends to be him rambling for pages about nothing in particular, or Dereck who just blindly preaches by reciting the KJ bible. If Jeremy is attempting to add theology to his sermons, as well as educate himself, I can't fault him for it. Maybe he'll learn something about tolerance. 

This, yes.  It's a totally different kind of preaching than the Duggars are most likely used to and certainly different from what I had.  In my Protestant church growing up, the sermon was about 10 minutes and the minister just came up with some idea like say, selflessness, and would write something up about it and throw in a few Bible quotes.  Jeremy's is "expositional Scripture teaching" -- you can hear him say to the congregation things like "Open to Matthew 5" etc -- they're all sitting there with Bibles in their laps and he does a deep dive into the Scriptural passages,  which he's clearly spent a lot of time researching with various commentaries, scholarly reference works, perhaps the original Hebrew roots of words, etc. It's way more intellectual than what the Duggars most likely are used to.  And I'll get snark for this, but I actually think he's quite good.  I read the Bible every day and Jeremy is a compelling speaker about it -- he clearly loves what he's talking about and wants others to love it to.  I watched one of his sermons on the book of James and I was actually rather captivated.  I really loved the way he talked about some of the passages.  Yes, yes, I know, I haven't heard all his sermons and views, etc. And he and I would disagree on interpretation in lots of areas.  I'm just saying it's not light stuff he's doing and it's not him just making up stuff or arrogantly talking about himself like some televangelists have been known to do. He's reading different sources and puts his heart into it.  It's good that Jinger is exposed to a more scholarly approach that requires actual ... READING. And on another note, I'm still amazed she was allowed to marry someone who wasn't a Baptist.  And a Calvinist to boot!

10 hours ago, Shouldabeenacowboy said:

Proposals are not a big deal to me, but I must say, I'd rather take Joe's than creepy-a$$ "let me blindfold you" Austin's. 

Actually I think he said,Do you trust me? Then asked, Can I blindfold you?, it was his way to surprise her with a little kinky thrown in. She said yes so really no big deal. I did not see any anxiety on her part so it was okay.

5 hours ago, VBOY9977 said:

@eleanora3 i think maybe it's because when he was walking Jinger he tripped on her dress various times so maybe they thought this way was less risky... i don't think it's weird at all, Kate Middleton's father also walked her down the aisle holding her hand

The way Mr. Middleton guided his daughter was not holding hands. The Bride laid her hand on his. That is a very old fashioned way of guiding/introducing a woman. Those fundies try so hard to present themselves as traditional and classy and always fail.kate+middleton+wedding+dress6.png

2 hours ago, sansan said:

Actually I think he said,Do you trust me? Then asked, Can I blindfold you?, it was his way to surprise her with a little kinky thrown in. She said yes so really no big deal. I did not see any anxiety on her part so it was okay.

50 shades of hell no! :laughing-rollingred:

After watching both episodes from last week, I have mixed feelings about Joy. On one hand I saw some sassy playfulness coming through at her wedding, yet the fact that she kept saying she's into whatever Austin is into now really bugged me. It's like she went from tomboy, to drunk on Duggaraid, to assimilated into the Austinborg. It seems some of that tomboy playfulness is still in there somewhere, hopefully it will show up more as her and Austin relax into their marriage.

14 hours ago, VBOY9977 said:

@eleanora3 i think maybe it's because when he was walking Jinger he tripped on her dress various times so maybe they thought this way was less risky... i don't think it's weird at all, Kate Middleton's father also walked her down the aisle holding her hand

I have a feeling it could be a different kind of closeness? 

I've been wondering about this a little the last few days and then last night saw the photo of him with Henry & the comment of how "close" they are. It just seems a little out of character for him...

I know I'm totally projecting here, but had my Dad still been alive, walking down the aisle hand in hand might well have been something we did - more real to us than fitting into a function (as it is, we aren't walking down the aisle at all). We were extremely close. I was very tomboyish too - to the point, when I got a baby sister and he got an apprentice at the same time, it was the apprentice I resented.

Makes me wonder if, in a gruff, CP world, where men aren't allowed any softness, whether JB is coping with loosing Joy by retreating a little into the grandpa role and appreciating the current littlest, who's not only the current 'he'll be the last to leave me", but also seems very smiley & content, so quite easygoing on someone with limited littles contact.

Re: Dads down the aisle: If I ever get married, I plan to observe the Jewish tradition of having both parents walk me, but I think that your dad walking you down the aisle is a symbolic act open to interpretation. It could symbolize a property transfer and subsequently how the father views his daughter as a possession to be given away (as it does with the Duggars), or it could symbolize how your father has walked with you through life, and is helping guide you to this new stage. It's all in the interpretation/culture of the wedding, IMO.

12 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

or it could symbolize how your father has walked with you through life, and is helping guide you to this new stage. It's all in the interpretation/culture of the wedding, IMO.

So much more eloquent way of putting it. That's what I was aiming at and missing wildly. Had Dad still been with us, he'd have been more likely to walk with, than hand off.

I think the most horrifying text message I've ever received was, "sweetheart, how do I get glitter off the cat?"

......His teenage sister thoughtfully filled his birthday card with glitter. The cat still occasionally sparkles, but has yet to gain any other powers from the glitter she must have ingested. May Rufus bless her.

I thought the proposal was sweet, Joy and Austin were clearly into it. I have a feeling it might have been a bit of a relief for Joy, she's never struck me as someone who wants all of the attention, eyes on her. More that it would be draining, so getting to share the horde of well wishers could be nice. I haven't made up my mind about Austin yet, he seems really stiff with the cameras, but hopefully we'll see more of his personality as the season goes on.

10 minutes ago, cascarones said:

The cat still occasionally sparkles, but has yet to gain any other powers from the glitter she must have ingested. May Rufus bless her.

I'm having a giggle fit over here. Poor kitty.

How do you get glitter off a cat?

38 minutes ago, cascarones said:

I think the most horrifying text message I've ever received was, "sweetheart, how do I get glitter off the cat?"

I can HAHAHAHA relate, I got a phone call "Mom can you vacuum a cat?" Me, "WHAT? No you can't vacuum a cat, why would you want to do that?"  DD says "I spilled my glitter on her."  My sister takes the phone and proceeds to tell me that she (DD) dumped an entire bottle of sparkly pink glitter on our long haired cat because, 5 year old logic, says DD likes glitter so cat likes glitter. Cats do NOT like glitter, they also don't like baths, but they do poop pink sparkles if you get enough on them. 

The glitter was non toxic and we got as much off of her as possible but she managed to lick up some making for some festive poop the next day.  Vet said she should be fine but if she started to act weird bring her in. Cats eat weird things, but it shouldn't hurt her.  She was fine, she lived another 10 years. 

There's a service called Ship Your Enemies Glitter, which I find hilarious.

If I ever need to take revenge on someone, I'll either mail them glitter or buy their children kazoos/recorders...and craft kits that revolve around glitter.

25 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

The glitter was non toxic and we got as much off of her as possible but she managed to lick up some making for some festive poop the next day.  

That's it, i'm starting a business. Mail your enemies glittery poop. I am absolutely sure no one has thought of it yet :pb_lol:

3 minutes ago, Fundie Bunny said:

That's it, i'm starting a business. Mail your enemies glittery poop. I am absolutely sure no one has thought of it yet :pb_lol:

Dare I ask who's going to be creating this glittery poop? Inquiring minds want to know.

On 6/16/2017 at 2:07 PM, eleanora3 said:

Did anyone comment on the fact that Joy held Jim Bob's hand as she walked down the aisle, instead of holding his arm? That was really weird

Is that the same suit? Can we talk about JB wearing the same suit in all 4 weddings.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived