Coconut Flan

14 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Glitter is of the devil. It has no place in a house of worship. 

Glitter still appears out of nowhere from the time my daughter little. I think it has least been five years or more since her countless shiny art projects.  The stuff is evil

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, onekidanddone said:

Glitter still appears out of nowhere

I've read (maybe even here?) that "glitter is the herpes of the craft world."

1 hour ago, Buzzard said:

Austin is a child.  Joy is a child.  They should be giggling in the back of a movie theatre and sneaking kisses, not playing house.  For all the Duggar's efforts to shelter their kids, educationally handicap them, and politically brainwash them, pushing them out of the TTH and into the arms of another child is the worst parenting fail of all.

I found it so telling that the wedding invitation said "The Fortsynth and Duggar parents invite you to the wedding of their children". I have never seen a wedding invitation before (except JinJer's) where the parents are even mentioned, it seems so odd! Idk, it might be a tradition even outside of fundie circles that the parents of the couple invite the guests, but to me it just seems to highlight the fact that these young women and men are basically still children and that their parents are orchestrating their lives. Not good PR... ;)  

1 minute ago, Queen said:

I found it so telling that the wedding invitation said "The Fortsynth and Duggar parents invite you to the wedding of their children". I have never seen a wedding invitation before (except JinJer's) where the parents are even mentioned, it seems so odd! Idk, it might be a tradition even outside of fundie circles that the parents of the couple invite the guests, but to me it just seems to highlight the fact that these young women and men are basically still children and that their parents are orchestrating their lives. Not good PR... ;)  

I think that's fairly common, actually. It seems to be more if the wedding is formal, paid for by the parents, with a young couple, or some combination of the above. Ours didn't, but we've received at least one wedding invite with that phrasing and for a couple our age (mid to late twenties).

1 minute ago, Queen said:

Idk, it might be a tradition even outside of fundie circles

Definitely a tradition, especially when the parents host the wedding. Traditionally, it's the bride's parents who do the "inviting" - as they're typically paying for the wedding (the groom's family pays for the rehearsal dinner).

On the subject of glitter, one time when I was 16 one of my  little sister's and her friend emptied an enormous container of glitter all over my room and bed. I was a senior and still finding glitter everywhere. 

32 minutes ago, Queen said:

I wrote our invitations. They read "Together with our parents, [my name/hubby's name]..."

We were in our early 30's. Not a formal wedding at all (it was at my parents' house) with a picnic lunch reception. 

16 hours ago, Helena Handbaket said:

Mr. Forsyth seemed the least thrilled about the glitterbombing. His face looked all red, and fuming like you could see the steam coming out of his ears almost.

He and His wife just seemed crabby anyway. 

My wedding invite said "DAD and MOM Buzzard's maiden name invite you to celebrate with us as out daughter, buzzard, marries Mr. Buzzard..."

My mother is still friends with one of my old sitters mother. (Her step-dad was my doctor as a child).  Her invite had her mom and step-dad first , then her father and step-mother then her husband parents. 

My invites said Mrs. & Mrs Names requested the honor of your presents at the marriage of their Daughter to Mr. different names, the son of Ms. Different Name (his father had died before that & was an asshole).  When my sister married 14 years later my parents were divorced so her's just said Ms Gotbucks and Mr. Gotmorebucks request your presents at their marriage on XYX day.  I was 26 and my sister was 35 when we married, but my wedding was much more formal than hers as well. 

Joe is low key, the proposal was low key. Kendra seemed happy about it, that's all that truly matters. In the grand scheme of their lives, I doubt the proposal will be the most remembered moment. 

7 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

Joe is low key, the proposal was low key. Kendra seemed happy about it, that's all that truly matters. In the grand scheme of their lives, I doubt the proposal will be the most remembered moment. 

Exactly, not everyone wants a grand gesture.  Sometimes something simple is all that is required. 

I've not read all 20+ pages yet, but I've just watched the Joy/Austin wedding episode. All I'll say at the moment is the more John-David's dry sense of humour comes out the bigger and more worrying my inappropriate crush on him grows. Lol

22 hours ago, backyard sylph said:

That is only the second time I've seen the name Samuel Scott —. The first time is my husband.

It's a good name. I like both Samuel and Scott. Israel and Samuel are both classic, Old Testament names. Izzy and Sam sound young and fun, but age well, too. I've always been partial to Scott, in particular. I can't snark on the name, but in all fairness, after "Spurgeon," pretty much any name will sound nice that isn't made up and is spelled correctly. I hope Samuelito is an uncomplicated hospital VBAC. 

I've learned about different traditions today :) Where I'm from, the parents names aren't on the invitations, even in cases where they helped paying for the wedding or if the couple is young. And I haven't encountered the tradition that if one set of parents pay for (parts of) a straight couple's wedding, it's the bride's. But I'm still young, haven't seen much of the world yet ;)

Conservative religious people aside, most people who marry don't do it until their late 20s/early 30s where I'm from. That might be a reason to why parents are less involved here; the couple have had time to establish themselves and grow independent. Or, maybe because my culture is hardly family-centered at all. 

But seriously, I thought the "parents of X and Y invite you to the wedding" was a Duggar/fundie thing :P I now see that is not the case ;) 

14 minutes ago, Million Children For Jesus said:

It's a good name. I like both Samuel and Scott. Israel and Samuel are both classic, Old Testament names. 

But, but... where is Palestine?? :giggle:

3 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I've read (maybe even here?) that "glitter is the herpes of the craft world."

I've posted that before.  It's so freaking true.  Just when you think you've beaten the glitter, it pops back up

We did our own invites and went Mr Mio and MIO would love to have you join us... We did it that way as that's the way round that folks know us. Someone suggested we follow some wedding blogs and stuff, so we signed up with Mrs2Be (not too horrible) & The Knot. The latter keep sending amusing emails to my email, addressed to Mr MIO, asking him about his dress choices, and has he thought of how he'll have his intimate topiary etc etc...

Did anyone comment on the fact that Joy held Jim Bob's hand as she walked down the aisle, instead of holding his arm? That was really weird

@eleanora3 i think maybe it's because when he was walking Jinger he tripped on her dress various times so maybe they thought this way was less risky... i don't think it's weird at all, Kate Middleton's father also walked her down the aisle holding her hand

To be honest, it looks like Jinger SHOULD have gone for the hand to give herself more room to walk.  I'm not a fan of the holding hands look, but Joy looks SO much more comfortable and free to move without worrying about JB stepping on the dress. Jinger has to weirdly contort away.

I love the name Samuel, my sister wanted her name her son that but hubby said NO but she could have for a last name until they realized his initials would be A...Samuel Smith.  So 1st name became middle name & the new 1st name was something different.  My siblings and I learned from my childhood, my initials were PMS.

Oh & Scott is my hubbys name and the middle name of our son. 

15 minutes ago, eleanora3 said:

Did anyone comment on the fact that Joy held Jim Bob's hand as she walked down the aisle, instead of holding his arm? That was really weird

And Boob is on Joy's left side & not right Or is the screen flipped? 

1 hour ago, Bushes of Love said:

I've not read all 20+ pages yet, but I've just watched the Joy/Austin wedding episode. All I'll say at the moment is the more John-David's dry sense of humour comes out the bigger and more worrying my inappropriate crush on him grows. Lol

Haha, right? It's funny cause I think if I met him around normal, nonfundie guys, I would not be impressed. But in comparison to rest of the Duggars, he's downright charming. 

6 hours ago, onekidanddone said:

Glitter still appears out of nowhere from the time my daughter little. I think it has least been five years or more since her countless shiny art projects.  The stuff is evil

My mother, who is 71, going on 12, put a big mess of glitter in my birthday card two years ago. I was not pleased. I'm less pleased every time I vacuum, because I find more.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived