Coconut Flan

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw a carrot on a child's plate. :content: So, we are getting close to actual food being served.

Are you sure the carrot wasn't for Rufus?

15 hours ago, Jinder Roles said:

Pastors do a lot behind the scenes that their congregation doesn't realize. Can't sneak on Jeremy for that. 

This. Also, just a friendly reminder that we don't see more than tiny clips of what any of them do in their lives. We know from IG pictures that Jeremy and Jinger are doing community outreach, but we can't say that they aren't volunteering or doing other things that would be beneficial to the community as well, because we don't actually know what they do with their time - Minus the fact that Jinger likes to film ants :pb_lol: and Jeremy apparently likes to take morning strolls. 

It's important to remember that we don't really know what any of the Duggars are doing on a daily basis (including Jana). No, they don't hold conventional jobs, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're all wandering around TTH bumping into each other either.

It looked like there was food. I kinda specifically paused to look at peoples plates. There were a few different things that weren't cupcakes. 

After thinking about it more I could make a case for Kendra liking the proposal. We don't know her very well so it's hard to say but I could see her liking the spot light. I don't think fundy girls get to feel special often and pretty much every one they know got to watch her get engaged. That's a lot of attention for a girl but use to it and I could see it being nice for once.  Also she knows all the single or just courting girls were super envious. Which when you're a teenager seems like a good thing.

But we do know kenrdra's fundie background and have seen other fundie proposals, which are much more elaborate.  A specially commissioned song for Jill, small chapel with all the candles for Jessica (I believe one of her favorite places),  the Washington DC proposal for the Bates girl, rooftop NYC proposal and string quartet playing  Ginger's favorite hymn.   A proposal is a one of the  highlights of a  fundie girls life.  Kendra had to share her proposal day with her future Sister-in laws wedding.  Her favorite music was not playing,  there was no history of their courtship or any romantic type gestures that spoke to her or her interests as an individual.   Perhaps it is Dugger man are not given to making a  big deal of a proposal.  Josh certainly didn't.  

But how do we know she would even want a proposal like that, just because it's what others in her circle had? That kind of proposal would be my absolute worst nightmare. Why does there need to be music and specially written songs and a history of their courtship? Maybe she's shy and it was bad enough for her that it went down in public, on camera? We don't know. We don't know her.

After thinking about it more I could make a case for Kendra liking the proposal. We don't know her very well so it's hard to say but I could see her liking the spot light. I don't think fundy girls get to feel special often and pretty much every one they know got to watch her get engaged. That's a lot of attention for a girl but use to it and I could see it being nice for once.  Also she knows all the single or just courting girls were super envious. 

I agree. The uniqueness of this proposal was the extreme element of surprise. Kendra probably assumed they were getting engaged very soon, but never anticipated it happening during Joy's reception. Being surrounded by hundreds of people who were all very excited and happy for you is also special. This was probably the best way Joe could think of to be special which is fine. Joy and Austin seemed totally into it, so I don't think they minded sharing a little of the spotlight.

In her pre DQ teenage cheerleading days, mowing the lawn in her bikini may have broken up a neighbor's marriage.

Yes, Michelle would like to believe that.  She just so unfortunately wonderful looking that the world must be protected from her.  At least the male half of the population.  

Give it a rest sweetie, you aren't the end of the earth by a long shot.  

I believe so at one point they showed someone at the reception with a plate that had what looked like meatballs, a cupcake  and something else on it but I couldn't quite figure out what.

I thought I saw a clear cup filled with popcorn. 

I guess a proposal is the groom's choice and maybe Joe just didn't want so much camera time focused on him. Seems reasonable. She was genuinely surprised which was fun to see and she is happy. I thought Bin's thing was ridiculous. 

Regarding the proposal...

Female fundies are taught and expected to keep sweet and be content with whatever their headship or future headship chooses to do and are portrayed as TLC wants them to be.  But we do know what other fundies have done in the past for engagements.  Joe set the bar real low. 

Yea, Kendra seemed super into the proposal. I don't think she cared how it went down, as long as she doesn't have to wait 5 years to marry her man crush. Proposals are really big deals to some people and really aren't to others. Some people more care about the end result-the marriage.  I was more that way. We didn't have an official proposal-we just discussed getting married and a couple of days later we were married. I think it was very them, surrounded by their families and you know, god.

I haven't seen the show, but I imagine it reflects TLC's attitude towards Joe & Kendra. I really think that the elaborate proposals were plot lines, and this proposal possibly got a plot line reflecting it's relative unimportance.  

My husband gave me his bud light (think, "but you're still not getting my bud light" commercial) surrounded buy a box full of "Will You Marry Me" Taco bell hot sauce packets. It was goofy and corny - just like him. I have it all saved in a glass cookie jar now. I could think of a dozen ways I'd like to be proposed to, but I was mostly just thrilled he asked because I wanted to get married too.

My grandfather's really laid back and sort of a shy person. He put a ring in the glove compartment of his car and opened it for my grandmother on a date and said, "You want that?" Which, if you knew him, is so him. Apparently she did, because they were married 60 years on June 7th. 

Joe's never gone out of his way to stand out or be the center of attention on the show and so this understated proposal seems just right for him. If he hadn't gotten his sister and her husband in on it and sprung it at the reception unexpectedly I think it would have been unquestionably crass - however, Joy and Austin seemed delighted to be in on it, and so I say, "Cool." Kendra apparently loves Joe, and if this is Joe, then she probably was just thrilled he asked. 

I haven't seen the show, but I imagine it reflects TLC's attitude towards Joe & Kendra. I really think that the elaborate proposals were plot lines, and this proposal possibly got a plot line reflecting it's relative unimportance.  

I think I will agree with that halfway. I will agree that they were plot lines, but I might also submit that there is/was a willingness to be part of a plot line of that nature. Derick and Jill's definitely big plotline, but I think Derick was happy to have a to-do for his proposal. As for Ben, we had a running plotline about how sentimental and romantic he is/was, often overwhelming the literal and practical Jessa, and so it made sense he would do a big elaborate thing.

I don't see Joe or JD doing that sort of big production because it would be so unnatural for them. Could you imagine JD designing a romantic scavenger hunt, for example? Josh liked to be the center of attention and even his rained out outside proposal wasn't comparable to what Derick and Ben did. Kind of real life versus planned plotline - so I'll definitely agree with you there. Josh probably would have done something really over the top via plotline had the show been what it was in its heyday when he got engaged, but I just don't see it from Joe or JD. Josiah I could see a big to-do though.

At the end it's about what they like and want - and that goes for Joe and Kendra's proposal, as well as Joy and Austin's wedding. 

Proposals are not a big deal to me, but I must say, I'd rather take Joe's than creepy-a$$ "let me blindfold you" Austin's. 

Someone my mother worked with when she was a NYC teacher has a daughter who got engaged on Regis and Kathie-Lee in 1991. She was very embarrassed but she still said yes and they are still married. 

I believe so at one point they showed someone at the reception with a plate that had what looked like meatballs, a cupcake  and something else on it but I couldn't quite figure out what.

I think I saw a someone with a clear plastic cup of popcorn. I hope it was a pasta salad but every time I paused it on my tablet- I got popcorn:56247953c05d2_32(6):

On 6/16/2017 at 5:10 AM, Coconutwater said:

Sadly I think he will be just as strict, in an article about dresses Joy states she has never cared for them and doesn't really have a style, but Austin only likes dresses on women so she's having to learn to like them and change her wardrobe...no one should have to change who they are for marriage. 

Do you know which article you're referring to? In the second episode where they're getting ready for the triple date, Joy mentions that she was never much into dresses (she still wore skirts and tees), but that Austin likes them on her so she's trying to branch out more. No only, no women. He could have complimented her in a dress a few times so she's trying to wear them more often; that's fairly normal for women. 

I don't have much of a problem with Joy saying "Austin likes dresses so I'll wear dresses more". I'm a strong independent woman (who don't need no man) and that sounds like something I could totally see myself saying at age 19 about my first love. I don't think it's as big of a deal as we're making it out to be.

On 6/15/2017 at 2:06 PM, amendgitan said:

But I can't forget that Joy is only 19, with no real choice as to the trajectory of her life. That the dictates of her culture mean she has to spend a lifetime with the first dude she has a crush on. That her will, her wants, her independence is never allowed to form and with this marriage is permanently subsumed by the will, wants and "leadership" of her headship, to whom she must submit.

ANd this is why I changed my Avatar to a black box. These women have been sold a bridge - that marriage is all rainbows and puppies.  Marriage is work, and its especially hard when youre 19 and have no fucking clue what it means to be an adult, let alone a wife.  I'm so glad that Jinger isnt 6 months pregnant now and I hope that she makes it atleast a year before they even think about having kids, the same goes for JOy (but I doubt she'll get that chance). Austin is a child.  Joy is a child.  They should be giggling in the back of a movie theatre and sneaking kisses, not playing house.  For all the Duggar's efforts to shelter their kids, educationally handicap them, and politically brainwash them, pushing them out of the TTH and into the arms of another child is the worst parenting fail of all.

I think young sheltered fundie Kendra was so ecstatic to be proposed to that she didn't care how she was proposed.  

I think it reflects Joe & Kendra's attitude toward TLC.  If they didn't want a lot of attention, this proposal accomplished it - they became engaged and it was part of the show.  Quick and done.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived